Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say Im a dreamer,
but Im not the only one,
I hope some day you'll join us,
And the world will live as one.

Swift
2005-Dec-08, 09:52 PM
It makes me sad to think, particularly that it has been so long. I wonder what Lennon would have thought about the world of today.

It was my first year of grad school. I actually don't remember how I first heard (I usually remember that kind of stuff), but I did hear about it that evening. I do clearly remember telling one of my roommates; he just couldn't / didn't believe me and thought I was making a weird joke. I don't think he was convinced until he heard it on the radio himself.

Candy
2005-Dec-08, 10:01 PM
R.i.p.

TriangleMan
2005-Dec-08, 10:02 PM
The local papers here have had Lennon articles all week leading up to the anniversary. While I disagree with some of Lennon's views on certain issues I admired him as a person and owned some of his albums. And I always make sure to visit Strawberry Fields in Central Park whenever I am in Manhattan.

In some ways I see the day he died as the turning point that marked the end of the 70s and the beginning of the 80s (with its cash-and-image-conscious attitude and conservative political landscape). I sometimes wondered what he would have thought about the 80s - I don't think he would have liked it.

Gillianren
2005-Dec-08, 11:01 PM
This is one of the earliest memories that I can put a date to. My birthday was day before yesterday. In 1980, I turned four. My parents weren't Beatles fans, but I remember this. (I also remember being very confused a few years later, when I heard that Jack Lemmon was making a movie.)

EvilBob
2005-Dec-08, 11:12 PM
A 'little Piggy' thought that 'happiness is a warm gun'.

My Dad is a major Beatles fan, so this was a bad day in our house. I was eight and didn't really grasp the enormity of it at the time. It's hard to imagine that he's been dead longer than he was famous and alive...

We miss you, John. :cry:

AGN Fuel
2005-Dec-08, 11:29 PM
I was (am) a Beatles fanatic and was devastated when he was murdered, especially as it seemed he was returning to his music after a barren period in the late 70's. He had a lot more to give the world - and I suspect he would be horrified at the world today.

Titana
2005-Dec-09, 07:24 AM
Another Beatles fan here. My favorite song: *Yesterday*.

Rest in Peace John Lennon........

......Titana

Maksutov
2005-Dec-09, 08:46 AM
I found out about it when ABC sports announcer Howard Cosell broke the news during the second half of the Monday Night Football game between the Miami Dolphins and New England Patriots.

In My Life/I'm Only Sleeping/Strawberry Fields/A Day In The Life/I Am The Walrus/I Want You (She's So Heavy)/Why Don't We Do It In The Road?

Somewhere in the bookshelves is a copy of In His Own Write.

http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/traurig/g040.gif

TriangleMan
2005-Dec-09, 12:50 PM
Another Beatles fan here. My favorite song: *Yesterday*.
That is kind of ironic. McCartney wrote the song and apparantly Lennon hated it. :)

Wolverine
2005-Dec-09, 01:17 PM
I found out about it when ABC sports announcer Howard Cosell broke the news during the second half of the Monday Night Football game between the Miami Dolphins and New England Patriots.
I just saw that footage the other day in a documentary about Cosell.

Had to roll my eyes at the mention in this story (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4512224.stm) of the guy proclaiming Lennon was assassinated by the CIA. :rolleyes:

mahesh
2005-Dec-09, 05:49 PM
Monique
Thanks for putting up 'Imagine'.
I have always thought that this song should be the 'United Nations' song, as it were.

It belongs to the whole world. Gives me goose bumps every time I hear it.
It's beautiful.

Thank you JWL! R I P

Monique
2005-Dec-09, 05:57 PM
Monique
Thanks for putting up 'Imagine'.
I have always thought that this song should be the 'United Nations' song, as it were.

It belongs to the whole world. Gives me goose bumps every time I hear it.
It's beautiful.

Thank you JWL! R I P
I love Imagine. It give me strength and inspiration.

I never know world with Jonh Lennon, I turn 25 past summer. I wish was not so.

mugaliens
2005-Dec-09, 06:19 PM
A lot of people have tried over the last several thousand years to imagine such a world. They can imagine it, but most of us can't. We're the product of our world. Family, community, national pride all define who we are.

I love the Beatles, but Imagine's philosophy is, and probably always will be little more than wishful thinking.

Titana
2005-Dec-09, 06:30 PM
That is kind of ironic. McCartney wrote the song and apparantly Lennon hated it. :)

Ironic??' And yes the song was written solely by McCartney, but the song was credited to both himself and Lennon as Lennon/McCartney, just as were all Beatles songs written by either of the pair..

And by the way i never heard that he hated it. And have you even noticed that the song is included in most of the Beatles discography??

Titana.

TriangleMan
2005-Dec-09, 07:56 PM
And by the way i never heard that he hated it.
Maybe hate was too strong a word on my part. The other three Beatles weren't fond of the song so vetoed its release in the UK. They couldn't stop the US from releasing it though - it was released in the US in March 1965 but it wasn't released in the UK until August once the record company realized it was a big hit. Wikipedia says that Lennon also took digs at the song in one or two of his later solo works.

aboutthebeatles.com lists a quote from Lennon from 1980:

"Well, we all know about "Yesterday." I have had so much accolade for "Yesterday." That is Paul's song, of course, and Paul's baby. Well done. Beautiful -- and I never wished I had written it."

I think this was the dig mentioned in Wiki:

From a Playboy interview:

PLAYBOY: "Just a quick aside, but while we're on the subject of lyrics and your resentment of Paul, what made you write 'How Do You Sleep?,' which contains lyrics such as 'Those freaks was right when they said you was dead' and 'The only thing you done was Yesterday/And since you've gone, you're just Another Day'?"

LENNON: (smiles) "You know, I wasn't really feeling that vicious at the time. But I was using my resentment toward Paul to create a song, let's put it that way. He saw that it pointedly refers to him, and people kept hounding him about it. But, you know, there were a few digs on his album before mine. He's so obscure other people didn't notice them, but I heard them. I thought, Well, I'm not obscure, I just get right down to the nitty-gritty. So he'd done it his way and I did it mine. But as to the line you quoted, yeah, I think Paul died creatively, in a way."

beskeptical
2005-Dec-09, 11:04 PM
Lennon...
And so this is Christmas
And what have we done?
Another year over
A new one just begun

And so this is Christmas
I hope you have fun
Your near and your dear ones
Your old and your young

And so Merry Christmas
And a Happy New Year
Let's hope it's a good one
without any fear

And so this is Christmas
The weak and the strong
The rich and the poor ones
Have waited so long

And so Merry Christmas
And a Happy New Year
without any fear

So Merry Christmas
And Happy New Year
without any fear

[and if it isn't to political:]
War is over if you want it.What a shame we have to have crazy people making the world occasionally very much a sadder place.

Candy
2005-Dec-09, 11:37 PM
I just watched a show about Mark David Chapman a month or so ago. It was very odd the obsession of love then hate for Lennon.

Disinfo Agent
2005-Dec-09, 11:38 PM
In some ways I see the day he died as the turning point that marked the end of the 70s and the beginning of the 80s (with its cash-and-image-conscious attitude and conservative political landscape). I sometimes wondered what he would have thought about the 80s - I don't think he would have liked it.Then again, he didn't think much of the seventies, either.

At one point in one of his last interviews, showing enthusiasm for the future, he asked 'Weren't the seventies a drag?'