PDA

View Full Version : Bad movie! Bad!

Duane534
2003-Feb-09, 03:12 AM
I just watched the movie "Volcano", and it was just sad. There were many problems, but I'll ignore them on artistic license. Yes, this is an astronomy board, but Earth is a celestial body, isn't it? Anyway, there was a volcano. It erupted. It erupted big. Foremost, it was a volcano. Volcanoes release lots of sulfuric gas. Sulfuric gas in the atmosphere makes sulfuric acid. Sulfuric acid makes acid rain. At the end of the movie, everyone was celebrating in the rain. Shouldn't it have been at least uncomfortable? Or am I just crazy?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Duane534 on 2003-02-08 22:14 ]</font>

g99
2003-Feb-09, 04:15 AM
Not only does it release sulfuric acid it also releases lots of co2. When co2 combines with water it creates a weak acid too.

Hale_Bopp
2003-Feb-09, 04:39 AM
Well, I think it is the people downwind of the volcano who would be a bit cheesed off at the acid rain /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Rob

g99
2003-Feb-09, 04:53 AM
The movie stayed incosistent in the effects that the lava had on people. (hmmm..Reminds me of Godzilla and the size of him) In one scene the hero of the movie is 20 feet above the lava on a fire truck ladder and his shoes are melting and the hose catches on fire because of the heat. Yet later on in the movie when they stop the lava with the concrete barriers there are people litterally inches away from the lava on the opposite side of the barriers and they suffer no effects.

What i did like about the movie was the ending scene with all people looking the same and the same colour. They all pulled together and helped eachother in a time of crisis. Beautiful moment and it stuck with me. It helped save the movie for me.

Colt
2003-Feb-09, 06:34 AM
It was a cool movie and makes you think about what would happen if something like that erupted in the middle of a large city. It was also pretty inconsistent in what it melted. In some scenes it melts cars at a touch but the subway car wa blocking the lava and just sitting there. Also it never seemed to melt concrete (wouldn't concrete, being more porous than most rock, melt even faster?). No offense, but the scene at the end was kind of corny. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif -Colt

David Hall
2003-Feb-09, 11:16 AM
Sheesh, are you all reading my mind or something? Yet again something I was just thinking about pops up on this board. Just yesterday this movie jumped into my head for the first time in years when for some reason I remembered the subway scene where the guy jumps into the burning lava.

Where's my tinfoil? I need to make a new beanie.

g99
2003-Feb-10, 06:22 AM
On 2003-02-09 06:16, David Hall wrote:
Sheesh, are you all reading my mind or something? Yet again something I was just thinking about pops up on this board. Just yesterday this movie jumped into my head for the first time in years when for some reason I remembered the subway scene where the guy jumps into the burning lava.

Where's my tinfoil? I need to make a new beanie.

David, you mean this one?:

http://www.stopabductions.com/

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

David Hall
2003-Feb-10, 09:34 PM
No, more like this (http://zapatopi.net/afdb.html) one. It's less of a strain on the wallet. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Duane534
2003-Feb-25, 04:11 AM
LOL @ David Hall's "board on the brain"

DaveOlden
2003-Feb-25, 07:14 AM
On 2003-02-10 01:22, g99 wrote:

On 2003-02-09 06:16, David Hall wrote:
Sheesh, are you all reading my mind or something? [...]Where's my tinfoil? I need to make a new beanie.

David, you mean this one?:

http://www.stopabductions.com/

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

"Thought screen helmet." My first question was "What was he thinking?" Since had no answer, I guess it must work.

(Penny for your thoughts, but you don't get paid until you take that thing off.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DaveOlden on 2003-02-25 02:15 ]</font>

tracer
2003-Feb-26, 03:07 AM
Another dumb thing in Volcano:

When the firefighters were squirting water at the oncoming wall of molten lava, they aimed for the middle of the mass. Wouldn't they have had more luck if they tried to hose down the leading edge? When the leading edge cools down and solidifies, the magma can't move anymore.

Eirik
2003-Feb-26, 06:55 PM
On 2003-02-25 22:07, tracer wrote:
Another dumb thing in Volcano:

When the firefighters were squirting water at the oncoming wall of molten lava, they aimed for the middle of the mass. Wouldn't they have had more luck if they tried to hose down the leading edge? When the leading edge cools down and solidifies, the magma can't move anymore.

I had a bit of a problem with the water scene for a slightly different reason. The scene was based on real events (as stated in the movie, actually) in Iceland, when the Vestman islands had a volcano erupt right at the edge of the town. In order to direct the lava and prevent it from closing the economically vital port, for the first time they tried to spray water on the lava flow. It worked. Though the town was heavily damaged and buried mightily in ash, the port opening was only partly closed.

However, in the movie they show this being done essentially by a few firetrucks and a brigade of air dropping helicopters in a few minutes. In reality, they pumped massive amounts of seawater 24/7 for weeks.

g99
2003-Feb-26, 10:14 PM
But even if they did stop it, The volcanoe would still be pumping out lava and it would just go down a different street. How can you stop up every street?

Eirik
2003-Feb-27, 12:06 AM
That bothered me about Volcano, too. They stopped it, but why weren't they worried about the surrounding buildings burning to the ground and the lava just flowing around? In the Iceland situation, they didn't much care. The lava could flow where it wanted as long as it didn't block the port. In the center of Wilshire Blvd. in L.A., that's a different matter completely....