PDA

View Full Version : The Captain Planet school of policy analysis

Glom
2005-Dec-10, 02:10 AM
A Sierra Club boss screamed out "It's a dirty, filthy industry!" in a seminar at the Chicken Little parade in Montreal about nuclear power sponsored by Jurgen Tritten's party (and I'm sure they'll give it a fair hearing).

The only mildly defensible argument I've ever heard come from anti-nuclear activists is that nuclear power is not cost competitive on the level playing field. In that case, maybe she sould be screaming, "It's an expensive industry!" It's certainly not dirty and filthy.

The nuclear industry produces waste in far smaller quantities than other industries and manages it will more responsibility as well. It doesn't emit anything during the actual power generation and all the fuss over mining is a complete exaggeration. Loads of materials must be mined and nuclear power requires very little of it.

Some people are so mean. :(

SolusLupus
2005-Dec-10, 02:28 AM
I don't see it as "mean". The person that is against nuclear power sounds devout in her beliefs. She does believe that it's filthy and dirty; lots of people do. It's common belief that if the world were full of nuclear power plants, then mutations, cancer, and toxic waste would increase at a huge sporadic rate.

If that were true, then I would also call it "filthy" and "dirty"; it's not mean, it's the truth. The words were not used to try to hurt people's feelings, but to broadcast a message of fear (however biased and unsupported by facts it may be). In short, it's not necessarily people being mean, it's well-meaning people that are advocating the wrong cause for the wrong reasons.

five_distinct
2005-Dec-10, 02:47 AM
You know we could just shoot a certain someone at the sun and the problem will be over.

SolusLupus
2005-Dec-10, 03:07 AM
You know we could just shoot a certain someone at the sun and the problem will be over.

Are you saying that there's only one person protesting or leading protests? Perspective, man, perspective! ;)

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Dec-10, 05:20 AM
Pfft. Let them shout. Nuclear's getting a boost in Ontario, regardless of what they say.

LurchGS
2005-Dec-10, 05:44 AM
that's almost enough to make me think about thinking about moving to Canukia!

Now, if only we could do something about all those canukians... :D

Enzp
2005-Dec-10, 05:46 AM
We gotta send all those Canadians back to Canadia.

five_distinct
2005-Dec-10, 03:49 PM
Are you saying that there's only one person protesting or leading protests? Perspective, man, perspective! ;)

Well we could pick someone and use them to set an example. How many of those protesters are there because they don't have a real hobby? I'd be willing to bet that if you shot one of the leaders into the sun and call it "Death by Irony," a lot less people would complain.

SolusLupus
2005-Dec-10, 05:20 PM
Well we could pick someone and use them to set an example. How many of those protesters are there because they don't have a real hobby? I'd be willing to bet that if you shot one of the leaders into the sun and call it "Death by Irony," a lot less people would complain.

A lot of these people are "anti-establishment". It would just enhance their hatred for the evil gumnint.