PDA

View Full Version : Could a worm pass the Turing Test?

Sticks
2005-Dec-12, 12:23 PM
As reported on the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4520766.stm)

Scary thought that.

Also why should some one who cost me time money and anxiety any respect whatso ever :mad:

mid
2005-Dec-12, 01:52 PM
Can the worm fake a shroud of Jesus, then?

;)

Sticks
2005-Dec-12, 02:12 PM
So I got a spelling wrong :doh:

For reference:

Turing Test (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_Test)

ToSeek
2005-Dec-12, 04:33 PM
I corrected the spelling in the thread title.

mid
2005-Dec-12, 05:45 PM
Aww, you're no fun anymore.

Anyway, on with the actual discussion (of which I wish I had something useful to say).

GDwarf
2005-Dec-12, 09:54 PM
Pass the turing test? No.
Fool your average online AIM user? Yes.

And really, that's all that matters.

LurchGS
2005-Dec-13, 07:02 AM
blast, I thought this thread was about my cousin...

butI agree with the Dwarf - I think passing the Turing test is unlikely for a wormbot - but most of the AIM people I know are sadly unsophisticated when it comes to computers (else they'd use IRC), so will be taken in by the forces of darkness and fed to the pits of Mordor

SolusLupus
2005-Dec-13, 06:07 PM
I use AIM myself. AIM, MSN, YIM, ICQ, I've used IRC a lot, and... well, also, Paltalk.

I prefer to log onto AIM and MIM, though the two have their issues and problems (though AIM has a very nice system for sending and receiving files, so I prefer to use that).

I highly doubt I'd be fooled by a worm like that.

Sticks
2005-Dec-13, 06:45 PM
The anti-virus program I use, Avast, apparently has a feature for scanning traffic coming from intant messanger programs

LurchGS
2005-Dec-13, 07:10 PM
Lomewulf - I use Fire, myself - a multi-IM client and I just added Lonewulf to my buddies list. are you ever in trouble now!

We use IRC around the office (on our own server) - it's a lot better for us than other interoffice communications systems. Since we are all on the phone so much, a quick note on IRC lets us ask a question of somebody else. If they're busy, they aren't interrupted and can answer when they have a moement.

SolusLupus
2005-Dec-14, 05:21 AM
Uhmmm. You added "Lonewulf" to which buddies list?

My AIM is "Cybawulf999"...

Oh, wait. You clicked on the thingy up there. I see now.