PDA

View Full Version : Shopzilla Flash ad conflicts with menus?

2005-Dec-13, 01:16 AM
Does anyone else see the Flash animation for the Shopzilla ad on the main page covering up the contents of drop-down menus Search and Quick Links?

(Windows XP; IE 6.0)

Wolverine
2005-Dec-13, 01:48 AM
I'm a Firefox devotee, but just tried loading in IE 6, saw the same ad -- but it didn't interfere with the pull-downs for me.

2005-Dec-13, 02:08 AM
I'm a Firefox devotee, but just tried loading in IE 6, saw the same ad -- but it didn't interfere with the pull-downs for me.

Thanks for checking. After I read that, I swung back to the main page, saw the Shopzilla ad, and the drop-down menus worked fine, displayed over it. But, then I refreshed, and during the animation clicked Quick Links, and the ad got precedence, with most of the menu inaccessible underneath it.

Ah. Sometimes you get different ads on refresh. There is also a static-image Shopzilla ad that doesn't cause problems (and I saw one other static image ad for something else, that worked fine). It's just the Flash-animation version that causes me minor grief.

Wolverine
2005-Dec-13, 02:26 AM
Just out of curiosity, which Macromedia plugin do you have installed (and what version)?

2005-Dec-13, 02:35 AM
Just out of curiosity, which Macromedia plugin do you have installed (and what version)?

Flash Player 8. That seems to be the current offering. Everything else I can think of is up-to-date -- and I'm not in the habbit on installing tons (just some) 3rd-party software.

(It would be semi-cool if the board operators could decline Flash ads, if only for the distractiveness, but I understand the value to the board. The menu problem is just an annoyance. There are workarounds -- like just using the menus when not on the main page.)

Jeff Root
2005-Dec-13, 02:36 AM
I'm using IE version 5.0 under Windows 98 SE.
(I would be using version 5.5 if I could get it to
download and install.) No Flash. When I click on
the Search link, the menu always pops up underneath
the text advertisements, instead of on top of them.
It has been that way since the first time I tried to do
a search, a couple of months ago. So I right-click on
the link and open it in a new window. I haven't tried
the other menu items.

Also, shortly after the start of the month, IE has once
again started crashing on some ads. About 20% of the
time when I go to a page with ads, IE crashes, and I
have to restart it. That happened in October, but not
in November.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Jeff Root
2005-Dec-13, 02:44 AM
zero one one zero,

There is a free Flash on/off switch program, for IE only.
http://www.flashswitch.com/

-- Jeff in Minneapolis

Wolverine
2005-Dec-13, 03:35 AM
Flash Player 8. That seems to be the current offering. Everything else I can think of is up-to-date -- and I'm not in the habbit on installing tons (just some) 3rd-party software.

(It would be semi-cool if the board operators could decline Flash ads, if only for the distractiveness, but I understand the value to the board. The menu problem is just an annoyance. There are workarounds -- like just using the menus when not on the main page.)

Yes, Flash Player 8.0.22.0 is the most recent version.

I understand and agree, if only such a thing were possible. Barring uninstalling Flash or switching to another browser (e.g. FF w/Adblock), I'm out of ideas.

Wolverine
2005-Dec-13, 08:53 PM
Whoops, I hadn't seen Jeff Root's post preceding mine above.

01101001, I tried browsing the board again in IE just for grins and on the second attempt was able to duplicate the situation you encountered above. That's quite an annoyance.

hhEb09'1
2005-Dec-13, 10:23 PM
That's quite an annoyance.Me too

2005-Dec-21, 09:03 AM
Just for the record, the newly appearing Road to Kona Ford Explorere Flash animation ad also makes the Search and Quick Links menus drop down behind it.

Nowhere Man
2005-Dec-21, 11:26 PM
I just checked with IE 6.0.2900, Firefox 1.0.7 (preference), Mozilla 1.7.12, and Netscape 8.0.4. In none of them does the ad cover the search box of the quick links menu.

Oddly enough, it's only in Firefox that the quick lnks or thelog out links even appear.

Fred

2006-Apr-20, 07:38 AM
With a Honda Flash ad I just saw, the drop-down menus were unaffected; they worked normally, displaying over the ad. I don't know what it means. Maybe I got a Microsoft system or browser update that fixed it. Maybe I got a Macromedia update that fixed it. Maybe a vBulletin upgrade fixed it. Maybe the way Honda does Flash doesn't break things. Maybe it's the phase of the moon. I hope it's a trend, though.