PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good video editor

Captain Kidd
2005-Dec-14, 12:47 AM
I'm trying to find a good (and cheap or at least reasonably priced) video editing software.

We're getting bored with ye ole download from the camcorder, fiddle a little bit with Sonic MyDVD or Roxio (annoyingly just on the wrong side of what we want to do), and then burn. We'd like to really get into splicing and inserting special effects beyond the "packaged" transitionals that are part of the standard low-end stuff that comes with the camera.

I have no idea what the editing lingo is and would probably hurt myself if I tried to talk it; but I'm looking for stuff that can layer images over each other (picture-in-picture type stuff), fine-tune adjustments to maybe lip sync the subject with lyrics (frame rate changes I guess is what I'm thinking), and other such effects.

So, what are some good programs out there that can make mediocre stuff great?

HenrikOlsen
2005-Dec-14, 03:41 AM
Have a look at this site (http://www.videohelp.com/), it covers the whole spectrum of digital video work including many editors.

space cadet
2005-Dec-14, 03:44 AM
What's your budget?

If you want something under 100 dollars, go with Ulead VideoStudio 8.

It has some pretty cool special effects you can work with, frame by frame i.e. Lightening bolts, spotlighting effects, lens flares, etc. Its pretty user friendly and I've never had any problems with it freezing up. It has separate tracks for voice-overs and music, you can do overlay effects (i.e. have the sound from one clip continue while showing additional clips.) As far as lip syncing, I don't think that's possible with U-lead unless you film someone singing along with a recording, mute the sound on the clip and insert an MP3 of the same song.

WHAT EVER YOU DO, STAY AWAY FROM PINNACLE!

Adobe makes a nice program, but don't count on spending anything less than 4-500 on any adobe programs.

If you want to get really into it, I suggest you contact my boyfriend as this kind of thing is right up his alley. Download "The Duke Movie" and you will see what I mean. Keep in mind, however, that his software was close to a thousand dollars, and he needs two monitors to run it.

http://www.empyreus.net/

Captain Kidd
2005-Dec-14, 03:57 AM
Yeah, 100 is what I was thinking as a ballpark, give or take. (Take really, 50 would be nicer, but then so would free. ;) )

space cadet
2005-Dec-14, 04:03 AM
The best I can reccommend is U-lead video studio 8, you can get it for 80 to 90 dollars. Anything cheaper won't be any better than what you already have.

I promise you'll get more bang for your buck with Ulead than anything else.

Captain Kidd
2005-Dec-14, 05:01 AM
I'll look into it. At one point I did have a promo copies of Ulead (I see it's up to 9 now) and Pennicle. I seem to get a feeling you don't like Pennicle. :)

Syncing was something I just pulled out of the air. What I'm really looking for as far as editing goes is cutting the video into seperate files so that I do some rearranging.

Multiple tracks for various audio is a definate plus as we are looking into adding music and/or voice overs.

(My wife is dreaming of music videos of the kid. She's got to talent to pull it off, it's finding the right platform for her to do it from that's my job.)

I also need time to dig through that site HenrikOlsen recommended... well that's what work's for tomorrow. :D

TheBlackCat
2005-Dec-14, 06:55 AM
It depends on what you want to do. Windows movie maker and iMovie, depending on your system, or petty good basic video editors, but they are no where near as good as commercial products and their output capabilities are severely limited (windows movie maker can only output to .wmv file formats and imovie can only output to quicktime file formats as far as I knw). virtualDub is extremely fast and easy to use, is free, but is also extremely basic and doesn't have transitions at all as far as I know (I am not even sure it can combine multiple videos, but I do know it can split them). I made a couple pretty decent music videos using windows movie maker (they seem to have been recieved pretty well by reviewers), but it is still pretty limited.

Have you considered Adobe Premiere Elements? It is onl $99, and at least with my experience with Adobe Photoshop vs Photoshop Elements the Elements have most things average users would need. I am not sure if it is really any good, but it is definitely worth considering since the full version of Premiere is practically the standard for non-linear video editing. The downside is, if my it follows the standard adobe pattern it will not be very intuitive to use.

Matthew
2005-Dec-14, 07:30 AM
Premier Elements. Its a lot cheaper than Adobe's Priemier but has many of the features of the full program. And is apparently much easier to use. More information on Adobe's website (http://www.adobe.com/products/premiereel/main.html)

Also if you're interested you can also bet Adobe Photoshop Elements with Priemier elements and save a bit of money on them seperatly.

LurchGS
2005-Dec-15, 06:46 AM
I''ve becom fond of ANYTHING by Arboretum...Hyperprism is a bit more expensive than you've indicated you are comfortable with, but it's good stuff. (I use it, along with iMovie, and iDVD and a host of little shareware/freeware widgets)

Captain Kidd
2005-Dec-19, 02:13 AM
Gak! Adobe Video Collection is $999.00! gak! gak! It'll do what I want but good grief! And that's the standard, the professional edition is $500 more. (May I repeat: GAK!)

I'm still not sure that I'm finding what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a bit more than just fancy transitions between independant scenes. (Plus, more than a couple types of transitions between scenes and the film starts to feel cheesy.)

Hmm, OK, I'll go the geek route. I've seen a pretty fan video of an anime using Babylon 5's fifth season's opener (they actually pulled it off really well). For those who aren't B5 fans, the intro theme to season 5 started with multiple important quotes spanning the previous 4 seasons, many of them starting before the previous one had stopped. This fan video did a good job of fading in and out a bunch of scenes from the anime in sync with the dialogue with quite a few staying on with other scenes faded not completely in over it. Many were not full screen size and drifted various directions on the screen.

Something like that is what my wife has indicated she wants to use.

[ten minutes later...]
OK, LurchGS, HyperEngine-AV from Arboretum looks to be it, the thing I don't get is it's free? Wow. From checking out their examples, it looks to be along the lines of what we want. I'm trying to figure out what the catch is. :)

Edit, well I found the catch, it's for Macs! Grrrrr!
So, is there a Windows version of something like this???

TheBlackCat
2005-Dec-19, 02:54 AM
Hmm, OK, I'll go the geek route. I've seen a pretty fan video of an anime using Babylon 5's fifth season's opener (they actually pulled it off really well). For those who aren't B5 fans, the intro theme to season 5 started with multiple important quotes spanning the previous 4 seasons, many of them starting before the previous one had stopped. This fan video did a good job of fading in and out a bunch of scenes from the anime in sync with the dialogue with quite a few staying on with other scenes faded not completely in over it. Many were not full screen size and drifted various directions on the screen.
Ah, yes, Anime Music Videos. I have made a couple of these with windows movie maker. I didn't do much in the way of transitions, though.

I still think Adobe Premier Elements is the way to go if Windows Movie Maker doesn't do what you need it to do.

Captain Kidd
2005-Dec-19, 03:19 AM
I just found the AMV site a couple weeks ago.

As for Adobe Premier Elements, I'm going to download the trial and see what it can do. Before starting this thread, I did start looking though virtualDub, there's a ton of secondary stuff required for it too, and yeah, it's very basic; controlled by editing text file scripts. (Wait that was for AVISynth, one of the secondary items I mentioned.)

As for pricing, we've talked on that and it looks like of we need to, we can raise the ceiling to a couple hunderd.

LurchGS
2005-Dec-19, 07:51 AM
my apologies - I thought they'd done a windows version (it's not free, last I looked - but they have a fully usable demo)

Obviously the thing to do is hit eBay for a PowerMac ;)

mid
2005-Dec-21, 03:32 PM
For what it's worth, Pinnacle suck a lot less than they used to. 9.4.3 is even vaguely stable.

Captain Kidd
2005-Dec-21, 06:12 PM
Well I've downloaded the trial for Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0 and it's worrying me.

I've got a 650MB video already downloaded onto the computer. Whenever I try to import it, PE locks up. Reviews say it's a bit sluggish, but 10 minutes later and it's still locked. I'm worried about if I actually try to use it to import directly from the camcorder a 60 minute video. All the other programs I've downloaded haven't had that problem. However, PE seems to have most of the feature I want. It's so annoying. This evening I'll try again to have it import that video and I'll just leave the computer completely alone and see what happens after an hour or so.

LurchGS
2005-Dec-26, 11:21 PM
I have a similar issue with iMovie for some reason - it takes far longer to import a movie *file* than it does to simply read the tape into iMovie....(I have a fairly slow machine - it's been known to take *days* to import a 700MB file)