PDA

View Full Version : Is one possible answer to Fermi's Paradox a lie?

William_Thompson
2005-Dec-14, 01:04 AM
...and since Xenu was in charge of ridding the overpopulation of the 76 star systems in the --

wait...a...second.... 75 million years ago, there weren't any volcanos in Hawaii and The Virgin Islands..... OH MY GOD! Does this mean that Scientology is a lie?!?!?! Here I was thinking that the wrath of Xenu was the ideal explaination for Fermi's Observation.

:p

Lance
2005-Dec-14, 03:14 AM

Wolverine
2005-Dec-14, 04:16 AM
Moved, as this has nothing to do with Life in Space.

William_Thompson
2005-Dec-14, 05:34 AM
Moved, as this has nothing to do with Life in Space.

How do you figure?

Explainations for Fermi's Paradox have everything to do with life in space.

Wolverine
2005-Dec-14, 06:32 AM
There are already several (serious) discussions of the Fermi Paradox on this forum. Your original post is obvious sarcasm, and more appropriate in this section as a result. If you have serious contributions to make on the topic, please do so on one of the existing threads.

William_Thompson
2005-Dec-14, 10:17 AM
There are already several (serious) discussions of the Fermi Paradox on this forum. Your original post is obvious sarcasm, and more appropriate in this section as a result. If you have serious contributions to make on the topic, please do so on one of the existing threads.

Simple.

There is one theory that is the most optimistic that suggests that there was once life filling the galaxy. But something horrible happened just before we evolved. This is a logical idea and just as plausable as any other.

I just lately saw a parallel between this and the Scientology soap opera. And, strangely, so some extent some part of L. Ron Hubbard's tale might have some logic behind it.

Just becuase YOU DECIDED to read sarcasm into it, others may not.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2005-Dec-14, 10:23 AM
Simple.

There is one theory that is the most optimistic that suggests that there was once life filling the galaxy. But something horrible happened just before we evolved. This is a logical idea and just as plausable as any other.

I just lately saw a parallel between this and the Scientology soap opera. And, strangely, so some extent some part of L. Ron Hubbard's tale might have some logic behind it.

Eh ...

Six of This, Half a Dozen of That, Still, you Do, Have a Point ...

A Large, Inter-Stellar War, Would Explain, The Silence, Just Check Out, David Brin's Short Story, "Lungfish (http://www.davidbrin.com/lungfish1.html)"!

William_Thompson
2005-Dec-14, 10:28 AM
I guess I did a drive-by. I should have elaborated on the theory a bit more. It is very interesting. I like making initial posts to catch the eye and then explain myself later. It makes for a more entertaining post and I feel that more people eventually read what I have in mind.

Oh well, sdnim ercocdem, as they say.

I will post the original idea later where it should be.

William_Thompson
2005-Dec-14, 10:32 AM
Eh ...

Six of This, Half a Dozen of That, Still, you Do, Have a Point ...

A Large, Inter-Stellar War, Would Explain, The Silence, Just Check Out, David Brin's Short Story, "Lungfish (http://www.davidbrin.com/lungfish1.html)"!

What the heck, here it is. It is based on Stephen Hawking comment that we should "keep a low profile"

100 million years ago the galaxy was as we imagine it should be. Life of all sorts of intelligence spread from one end to the other. Everything was going fine for a long time.

Then a very small percentage of this life had the idea that it would benefit the entire galaxy if a venture was made to try to make contact with other galaxies.

Most life in the galaxy thought that this was a bad idea since there have been times when one advanced culture met up with a lesser advanced culture and the results were tragic.

But there was no stopping the few that had higher dreams of advancing life to even more unimaginable heights.

The moment that the message that was sent out from our galaxy to others, some extragalactic life form that had worked its way to the top of the survival of the fittest game swooped down and wiped out all life in the Milky Way. It was sudden and no one knew what hit them. It was worse than we can even imagine today in any science fiction. It was like a falcon snatching a tad pole and all life bigger than a microbe was absorbed away.

People accuse me of not being optimistic about the existence of Extra Terrestrial life. Well, this being with the most optimistic view possible and a plausible conclusion is reached which shows us, once again alone for all practical purposes.

Wolverine
2005-Dec-14, 10:50 AM
Simple.

There is one theory that is the most optimistic that suggests that there was once life filling the galaxy.
Citation, please. Which theory?

But something horrible happened just before we evolved. This is a logical idea and just as plausable as any other.
What, specifically? Source?

To which "Scientology soap opera" are you referring? Is there a particular portion of Hubbard's writing you consider relevant? If so, which?

I did not "decide" to read your original post as sarcastic. Without elaboration, that's specifically how it appears.

Lance
2005-Dec-14, 02:36 PM

Who says that?

Fram
2005-Dec-14, 04:59 PM
I think he means "sdnim ercoidem". No idea who says that, except people that try to disguise an ad hominem, I suppose.

five_distinct
2005-Dec-14, 05:16 PM
I think he means "sdnim ercoidem". No idea who says that, except people that try to disguise an ad hominem, I suppose.

I like vowels.

Monique
2005-Dec-14, 05:37 PM
William_Thompson -- Perhaps if you have evidence supporting your position we consider.

beskeptical
2005-Dec-14, 06:47 PM
I guess I did a drive-by. I should have elaborated on the theory a bit more. It is very interesting. I like making initial posts to catch the eye and then explain myself later. It makes for a more entertaining post and I feel that more people eventually read what I have in mind.

I will post the original idea later where it should be.Well, I for one am a bit annoyed that you think I cannot decide for myself which threads to read. There's enough marketing bombarding my senses daily without a forum member marketing their threads with misleading titles.