PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Spaceport

Candy
2005-Dec-14, 02:09 AM
Virgin Spaceport to Be Built in N.M. (http://dailynews.att.net/cgi-bin/news?e=pub&dt=051213&cat=science&st=scienced8efe34g0&src=ap)

LONDON (AP) - Virgin Galactic, the British company created by entrepreneur Richard Branson to send tourists into space, and New Mexico announced an agreement Tuesday for the state to build a $225 million spaceport.

Virgin Galactic also revealed that up to 38,000 people from 126 countries have paid a deposit for a seat on one of its manned commercial flights, including a core group of 100 "founders" who have paid the initial $200,000 cost of a flight upfront. Virgin Galactic is planning to begin flights in late 2008 or early 2009.
Since no one takes Virgin Galactic very seriously, I've decided to put this in BABB. So freaking cool! :)

Gullible Jones
2005-Dec-14, 03:00 AM
I'm not taking them seriously until they develop a fusion rocket and hitch it to one of their space-buggies. Then I might pay up.

Swift
2005-Dec-14, 04:03 AM
All I could think of when I saw the title was the movie "Earth Girls are Easy" :o

Nicolas
2005-Dec-14, 11:33 AM
All you ever think of are Earth Girls! ;):D

And you've got good reasons :o

I'm curious how things will go for Virgin Galactic!

HenrikOlsen
2005-Dec-14, 01:05 PM
Well, there's been the technology demonstrator already, though it does need a maturing stage to get beyond experimental.
The financial backing looks strong, the customerbase looks strong as well, 20M$ prepaid and deposits paid for a potential total of 7.6G$.

When you say that noone takes them seriously, is that because 7.6G$ is such a small amount for a regular airline that they are considered insignificant?

NEOWatcher
2005-Dec-14, 04:08 PM
When you say that noone takes them seriously, is that because 7.6G$ is such a small amount for a regular airline that they are considered insignificant?
My 2cents: (somebody got a smiley that looks like a penny? or Abe?)
It depends on what part of them you take seriously. I think this space tourism thing is serious (although I'm not sure how long that will last)
What I don't think is serious is when they start talking that the next step is orbital or a space Hotel, and that it's a small step. Now maybe it's the media that's downplaying the step from sub-orbital to orbital flight, but either way it is a HUGE step.

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Dec-14, 04:56 PM
Yep. Next step is useful (though expensive) suborbital flight. Emphasis on useful. Like going from New York City to London.

Doodler
2005-Dec-14, 05:12 PM
Have there been any additional reports on how the inflatable space station demonstrator is progressing? I believe its called Genesis.

tlbs101
2005-Dec-14, 05:34 PM
I am already seeing local TV ads in Albuquerque (who's TV stations also serve the Alamagordo/Las Cruces/White Sands areas) promoting the space port, space museum, Tombaugh IMAX theatre, etc. etc. The builders and promoters are obviously taking the whole space-port thing VERY seriously.

So, now New Mexico is home to both a real commercial space-port near Alamogordo, and a UFO space-port in Roswell. Wow! LOL!

NEOWatcher
2005-Dec-14, 06:25 PM
Ok; this might be a little nitpicky, and I think I know the answer, but from the article

will be constructed 90 percent underground, with just the runway and supporting structures above ground
Supporting structures as opposed to what structures?

Frantic Freddie
2005-Dec-14, 06:41 PM
I am already seeing local TV ads in Albuquerque (who's TV stations also serve the Alamagordo/Las Cruces/White Sands areas) promoting the space port, space museum, Tombaugh IMAX theatre, etc. etc. The builders and promoters are obviously taking the whole space-port thing VERY seriously.

So, now New Mexico is home to both a real commercial space-port near Alamogordo, and a UFO space-port in Roswell. Wow! LOL!

Darn,wish they'da put it here in Edgewood,we could use the jobs :D

Dragon Star
2005-Dec-14, 06:48 PM
:dance: I say it's about damn time someone other then NASA gets into space, and how important it is for the future. A small step? Sure it is, but is it one of the most important? I think so....

Nicolas
2005-Dec-14, 06:56 PM
Ok; this might be a little nitpicky, and I think I know the answer, but from the article

Supporting structures as opposed to what structures?

I think they mean things that really really need to be outside, like ILS antennas and housing, radar, light houses, maybe an emergency vehicles garage...

and that all other things (pax hall, space vehicle garages, check-in, control room, bathrooms... will be underground.

But that's just speculation.

Candy
2005-Dec-14, 10:09 PM
When you say that no one takes them seriously, is that because 7.6G$ is such a small amount for a regular airline that they are considered insignificant?
I would normally put something like this in Space Exploration, but no one ever responds when I post there. :shifty: