PDA

View Full Version : Could a UK Christmas No1 be about a JCB?

Sticks
2005-Dec-14, 09:50 AM
Listen and decide (http://www.jcbsong.co.uk/jcbvideo.asp)

Oh the Humanity :rolleyes:

HenrikOlsen
2005-Dec-14, 10:03 AM
I've heard far worse.

jumbo
2005-Dec-14, 11:42 AM
I actually quite like the song. The video brings back memories. Its not actually about a JCB though.
As the site says its a song sung by luke who is being bullied at school and he feels better when his dad takes him out of school away from his tormentors and lets him ride in the JCB. To him his dad is a hero/bruce lee. Rather sweet i reckon.
Also far better than that crazy frog getting to number 1 again!

Lianachan
2005-Dec-14, 12:08 PM
I remember when something used to have to sell more than about 14 copies to get to number one.

Sticks
2005-Dec-14, 12:35 PM
I remember when something used to have to sell more than about 14 copies to get to number one.

Was that on wax cylinders then ;)

Tolls
2005-Dec-14, 03:19 PM

Well, whoever gets to number 1 this Christmas will have to break 200,000 copies in the week, which seems to have been the standard for Christmas for decades (from what I could find out).

I hope Nizlopi do get it as it's a rather nice song, and a whole lot better than the alternatives.

Lianachan
2005-Dec-14, 03:50 PM
Well, whoever gets to number 1 this Christmas will have to break 200,000 copies in the week, which seems to have been the standard for Christmas for decades (from what I could find out).

That's presumably combined physical and download sales. The BPI say that physical sales are down by 25.1%, with downloads up 287,8%, comparing Q3 of 2004 with Q3 of 2005. I meant sales of real things you can walk out of a shop with.

Tolls
2005-Dec-14, 04:35 PM
That's presumably combined physical and download sales. The BPI say that physical sales are down by 25.1%, with downloads up 287,8%, comparing Q3 of 2004 with Q3 of 2005. I meant sales of real things you can walk out of a shop with.

I ought to say that I was referring to Christmas number 1s only which, for the past 10 years anyway, have been anywhere over 200,000 sales in the week prior to Christmas. That has to be physical sales for almost all of those years I would have thought, especially for Christmas since they tend to be pressies as well.

Edit:
I grabbed the figures off here, albeit a wikipedia entry.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Number_1_singles_%28UK%29

Lianachan
2005-Dec-14, 04:50 PM
I ought to say that I was referring to Christmas number 1s only which, for the past 10 years anyway, have been anywhere over 200,000 sales in the week prior to Christmas. That has to be physical sales for almost all of those years I would have thought, especially for Christmas since they tend to be pressies as well.

Edit:
I grabbed the figures off here, albeit a wikipedia entry.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Number_1_singles_%28UK%29

Actual sales figures seem to be quite hard to find on line, although you can buy the BPI book of them for £250 (and, frankly, I don't care that much). I can't see any sales figures on your link, though - as it happens, I'd been at that page myself earlier looking for actual figures (before I thought of searching the BPI). Anyway - you may have been talking about Christmas, but with my original comment (which was, as I hope is clear, quite flippant) was about single sales in general.

Edited in - Here (http://www.bpi.co.uk/index.asp?Page=news/stats/news_content_file_954.shtml)'s my own source.

Tolls
2005-Dec-15, 09:15 AM
I can't see any sales figures on your link, though - as it happens, I'd been at that page myself earlier looking for actual figures (before I thought of searching the BPI).

They don't have sales figures earlier than 1995. From 1995 to 2005 it's the 4th column.

Lianachan
2005-Dec-15, 09:32 AM
They don't have sales figures earlier than 1995. From 1995 to 2005 it's the 4th column.

So it is, I didn't check any of those years. So when you said that breaking 200k for a Christmas number 1 has been required "for decades (from what I could find out)", you mean for one decades? I think single sales overall were already well into decline by the mid 1990's, although finding online sources to back that up could be tricky.

:)

Tolls
2005-Dec-15, 11:27 AM
So it is, I didn't check any of those years. So when you said that breaking 200k for a Christmas number 1 has been required "for decades (from what I could find out)", you mean for one decades? I think single sales overall were already well into decline by the mid 1990's, although finding online sources to back that up could be tricky.

Still...more than 14...:p