PDA

View Full Version : Foreign (Google) Ads

Candy
2005-Dec-14, 11:59 AM
I noticed today that I've had foreign ads. I think one was Japanese. I didn't get a print screen. I think this one is Dutch. I don't remember getting foreign ads before. Why is this? :shifty:

Wolverine
2005-Dec-14, 12:10 PM
The text content of the page determines what variety of ads will be displayed. I didn't look indepth but just loaded a page from that same thread and got the following in IE:

Edited to add: something's gotta be in Dutch. ;)

Wolverine
2005-Dec-14, 12:14 PM
Another example (note thread title):

Wolverine
2005-Dec-14, 12:21 PM
Test:

Je n'aime pas les annonces ridicules. Je m'en fiche, zut alors!

Wolverine
2005-Dec-14, 12:25 PM
Quelque chose de mieux pour les annonces, seulement en Francais...

Wolverine
2005-Dec-14, 12:27 PM
Hmph. I was trying to get French ads to show up atop this thread. Apparently the Google ads are xenophobic. :D

jkmccrann
2005-Dec-14, 12:42 PM
I do get an ad for Retro Candy though!

"Over 2600 candies in stock. Serving Candy lovers since 1927"

HenrikOlsen
2005-Dec-14, 12:44 PM
I suspect it's timedelayed. As in, it takes a while before the google crawler reads the page and is able to adjust the ads to the updated contents.

Wolverine
2005-Dec-14, 01:03 PM
I suspect it doesn't care for my French. At present, these ads are displayed:

jkmccrann
2005-Dec-14, 02:02 PM

Well, Candy is just delicious you know.

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Dec-14, 04:48 PM

It may take some time. Google needs to re-index the page, first.

Candy
2005-Dec-14, 10:05 PM
The text content of the page determines what variety of ads will be displayed. I didn't look indepth but just loaded a page from that same thread and got the following in IE:

I'll just blame it on Nicolas. http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Celestial Mechanic
2005-Dec-15, 08:45 PM
I'm not sure if this is the exact thread to mention this in, so here goes: I suppose it had to happen sooner or later. A Google ad for the "International Star Registry®" turned up. Their little blurb reads (I have punctuated it normally for this quote): "We have named over 1,000,000 stars. Don't be fooled by imposters."

Believe me, I'm not fooled by imposters such as ISR. ;)

BTW, I did see an ad in Norwegian (I think) for a hotel in Tromsø.

galacsi
2005-Dec-15, 09:54 PM

Your french is quite good and rather distinguished (Zut alors !) :D

I never get any adds in French except some about Ford Galaxy . But i suspect a more evident relation !

Fraser
2005-Dec-15, 09:56 PM
Donde estan mis pantalones.

Candy
2005-Dec-15, 10:13 PM
Donde estan mis pantalones.
¡Hey, eso es español!

Candy
2005-Dec-15, 10:15 PM
I got this Spanish ad. (http://www.algozone.com/shop/default.php?ref=1)

Yes, I clicked on it. ;)

Wolverine
2005-Dec-15, 10:54 PM
Your french is quite good and rather distinguished (Zut alors !) :D

Heh. :)

My conversational skills are all but gone... it's been 17 years since I last set foot in a French class. Since I live down in Texas, the only practice I've mustered has been at a couple of French restaurants.

Candy
2005-Dec-22, 02:45 AM
:whistle:

Heid the Ba'
2005-Dec-22, 04:52 PM
To some of us, most of the adverts are foreign. :)

Thomas(believer)
2005-Dec-23, 05:30 PM

I love it!

The Brummell
2006-Feb-21, 02:24 AM
I suspect this might be an appropriate place to complain about Bad Astronomy (of the really bad kind, not the fun kind normally found here) ads from Google.

Christian Astronomy (visit our Apologia store today): http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/cms_content?page=290822&sp=60624&event=1016SPF&p=1018818

Repressentative quote: "Amazing," "a blessing," and "totally cool" are only a few ways parents and students describe this introductory science curriculum. Combining a creationist viewpoint with clear explanations and fun experiments, Dr. Wile presents 16 modules covering simple machines, paleontology, biology, human anatomy, and other topics.

Is there not some way to blacklist certain sites from Google ads? The ad to buy powerful lasers was also a little disturbing.

Nicholas_Bostaph
2006-Feb-21, 09:12 PM
I noticed today that I've had foreign ads. I think one was Japanese. I didn't get a print screen. I think this one is Dutch. I don't remember getting foreign ads before. Why is this? :shifty:

When advertisers create ads on Google they can also specify geographic or language demographics. So it is possible that these foreign companies specified English speaking US viewers as being okay. More likely though is that you are being incorrectly identified, which is common since these filters are usually based solely on your IP address. Did you change locations / computers / ISPs just before first seeing these? Are you using a laptop to access the internet from a hotel or public wireless network. These could be contributing factors.