PDA

View Full Version : Scientists Figure Out Why Mona Lisa Smiles

Candy
2005-Dec-16, 05:10 AM
Scientists Figure Out Why Mona Lisa Smiles (http://dailynews.att.net/cgi-bin/news?e=pub&dt=051215&cat=science&st=scienced8eh2eh00&src=ap)

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands (AP) - The mysterious half-smile that has intrigued viewers of the Mona Lisa for centuries isn't really that difficult to interpret, Dutch researchers said Thursday.

She was smiling because she was happy _ 83 percent happy, to be exact, according to scientists from the University of Amsterdam.
I knew it. I smirk, and I'm happy.

Enzp
2005-Dec-16, 07:07 AM
Mona had just opened her mail. One was from Ed McMahon telling her that she might already be a winner. It brightened her day. You usually seem to be smiling, either in pictures or in print. It is heartwarming to me.

Candy
2005-Dec-16, 07:16 AM
It's my Drivers License photo. :lol:
I was not in a good mood that day, they messed my address up 3 times. I just noticed the zip code is still wrong. I'll wait to fix it. Illinois is able to find me for plates and stickers, so I'm okay.

Fram
2005-Dec-16, 09:17 AM
I really dislike this kind of "science". We make statistics, and then misuse those to determine one individual. You are bound to get attention with such a way to present a study, but this is preferring publicity above serious science.

Swift
2005-Dec-16, 02:27 PM
83% happy, give me a break! I have seen the Mona Lisa twice in person and let me tell you, I would say she was 63.739% happy at most. Probably more like 59.302% +/- 5.372.

Now look at Candy's photo. That's more like 79.327% happy, and that's after they messed up her zip code. Actually, there is something wrong with looking even that happy in a drivers license photo - next time Candy, look miserable like the rest of us.

:razz:

Argos
2005-Dec-16, 02:36 PM
Sometimes I think leonardo made a mistake defining the contour of her mouth and the result is what we see. The mysterious smile that wasn´t...

farmerjumperdon
2005-Dec-16, 03:40 PM
Actually, there is something wrong with looking even that happy in a drivers license photo - next time Candy, look miserable like the rest of us.

:razz:

Now that would be an interesting thread - Post Your DL Photo. I'll bet that would be one entertaining batch of pics. Mine have always looked like a serious mug shot or a street-corner psychotic.

Only problem is I'd have to learn how to put a picture here. I'm still having problems sorting the threads.

mahesh
2005-Dec-16, 03:49 PM
AttaGirl, Candy!! :smile:

NEOWatcher
2005-Dec-16, 04:04 PM
It's nice to see an article that is worded in the way the original story goes. They did make a point that it was a lighthearted attempt.

Normal media or reporters would have it go something like this:
Dutch researchers have a new emotion recognition software that distinguish emotions at a glance. They are on the verge of developing a system that can also read your mind.
Mona Lisa was a Schizophrenic. She was disgusted, fearful, and angry all the same time as being happy about it.

Candy
2005-Dec-16, 05:25 PM
Now that would be an interesting thread - Post Your DL Photo. I'll bet that would be one entertaining batch of pics. Mine have always looked like a serious mug shot or a street-corner psychotic.

Only problem is I'd have to learn how to put a picture here. I'm still having problems sorting the threads.
I'd like to see that thread. You should see my work photo. It is awful (no make-up and tinted glasses). I don't like my student photo, either. I'm still smiling in each one, though. If you email me a photo, I will post it for you. :razz:

LurchGS
2005-Dec-16, 05:32 PM
I refused to smile for my DL photo. My reasoning: A) I don't smile for photos. B) any cop who stops me isn't likely to see me smiling - why make his job harder?

One Colorado has started doing, though - take DL photo WITHOUT eyewear. Good idea.

HenrikOlsen
2005-Dec-16, 07:12 PM
Worst problem I've heard of was a friend who used a photo where he was laughing for his passport.
It wasn't easy to laugh on command to look like the picture, trying to get back home from China.

Candy
2005-Dec-16, 07:17 PM
CrossCountry has a theory on Mona Lisa, but I forgot what it was - too busy looking at his purdy dimples. :razz:

HenrikOlsen
2005-Dec-16, 07:31 PM
Whenever I see that smile I think she's been doing more than just sitting for Leonardo.

Gemini
2005-Dec-16, 10:32 PM
Its because she knows where the Thinker's clothes are

LurchGS
2005-Dec-16, 10:34 PM
my thought was that she knows she's the power behind the throne, as it were.

crosscountry
2005-Dec-16, 10:51 PM
Whenever I see that smile I think she's been doing more than just sitting for Leonardo.

use a different preposition and you got it!

Al Pacino tells why she's smiling in "The Devil's Advocate"

LurchGS
2005-Dec-16, 10:52 PM

hrm.. intresting point - you know, we DON'T see Leonardo in that picture.. I wonder what he's up to!

Candy
2005-Dec-17, 05:32 AM
hrm.. intresting point - you know, we DON'T see Leonardo in that picture.. I wonder what he's up to!
I always thought Leonardo was Mona Lisa. :shifty:

Enzp
2005-Dec-17, 06:23 AM
Only on saturday evenings in town. Hey sailor...

Hugh Jass
2005-Dec-17, 06:34 AM
I refused to smile for my DL photo. My reasoning: A) I don't smile for photos. B) any cop who stops me isn't likely to see me smiling - why make his job harder?

I knew a guy in college that would get drunk and stoned out of his goard and go couple days without shaving, before getting his DL photo. His reasonoing was that when he got pulled over he wanted the cop to think that is how he always looked... which is pretty much the way he did always look. :eh:

Enzp
2005-Dec-17, 07:21 AM
I always put on a big smile for my DL. I'd do a 3/4 profile and a two-finger pistol point, but they won't let me.

Candy
2005-Dec-17, 07:34 AM
Well, start to posting the dreaded DL photos, guys. I'd love a look see. :razz:

Laminal Cockroach
2005-Dec-17, 02:45 PM
I dont get it, whats wrong with monalisa's Smile again, Cant a woman smile like she wants to? why do we have to figure out how much percent it is? maybe thats how she smiles :lol:

Enzp
2005-Dec-17, 02:49 PM
It's because she is only 83% glad to see you. Now you have to go the rest of the day wondering what you did to get the other 17% mad at you. It's science.

Gillianren
2005-Dec-17, 11:13 PM

Let's just say that she wasn't his type.

mahesh
2005-Dec-17, 11:29 PM
we all see it....on a child's face...'it wasn't me' kinda smile