PDA

View Full Version : Halo (the Xbox Game)

Dark Helmet
2003-Feb-11, 12:55 AM
I was playing Halo today and I just noticed a bit of good astronomy in it, but yet there are some bad bits as well

Bad: the halo (a ring shaped world) is shown orbiting it is placed between it's parent planet (Threshold) and its natural satellite, implying a Lagrange point, but would Halo's orbital speed be greater that of the moon, and it would lose alignment

Good: No ship, or explosion in a cutscene that takes place in space gives off noise, there is no medium to transmit it so therefore, no sound

when I can think of more I wll post it, but this still is a pretty good game.

Colt
2003-Feb-11, 01:50 AM
I love that game (wish they would put it on PS2). I went almost to the end of the game but my brother took his Xbox in his room and I have not been able to finish the game.

The escapepods in it are pretty well thought out too. They have a set of retro rockets and four aerobrakes to slow its descent (why no parachute you might ask? How do you know the rock you might crash on would have an atmosphere? Better to go with something that would work equally well in any medium). Another good thing about the escapepods was that they had heat-tiles. Found ths picture of it coming in: escapepod (http://www.bungie.net/images/site/halo/sp_guide/a30/01.jpg)

The ships are also fairly good looking. They are big and ugly clunkers. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif -Colt

Dickenmeyer
2003-Feb-11, 02:33 AM
Cool picture Colt, does Larry Niven get royalties since he invented the ringworld concept? Or maybe he forgot to trademark it, I understand Arthur C. Clarke missed out on some serious coin because he failed to patent his communications satellite idea. Just one question, why are aerobrakes better than a parachute for airless worlds? They still need an atmosphere of some sort to work. I would think that they are more durable, reliable and maneuverable than a chute at any rate, though.

Colt
2003-Feb-11, 04:09 AM
They would take up less space than one single parachute would. Plus most parachutes would have to be attatched to the back of the escapepod where this one has the hatch in the back. They are basically just metal flaps that come out and are held in place by small spars as where a parachute would require a main anchor point somewhere on the vehicle. Needless to say, in the game, one of the aerobrakes is ripped off when landing on Halo because of the excess speed. -Colt

Colt
2003-Feb-11, 08:51 PM
I am surprised that many of you don't play video games, or at least haven't commented on we three wasting our time with trash like this. :P Right now I am driving around Vice City in a tank on my Playstation2. :) -Colt

g99
2003-Feb-11, 09:26 PM
Hey i am a very avid game player. yet sadly i only play PC games. I can't afford, nor do i want to buy a new game system every year that only plays games and new games for each system. At least with my pc it has other uses and i can still play the old games years down the road.

darkhunter
2003-Feb-11, 09:28 PM
On 2003-02-11 15:51, Colt wrote:
I am surprised that many of you don't play video games, or at least haven't commented on we three wasting our time with trash like this. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif Right now I am driving around Vice City in a tank on my Playstation2. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif -Colt

Right now working on beating: Metroid Prime, Robotech Battlecry, Mechwarrior Four (three was almost too easy), and Deer Avenger 3D

Have beaten: both Serious Sam games, Alpha Centauri (every way but diplomatic /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif ), Luigi's Mansion, Starfox Adventures, Rugrats Royal Ransom (so the kids could play all the levels....)....

g99
2003-Feb-11, 09:55 PM
Mmmmm...Serious sam. Stupidity at its finest. The best game i have ever played with no real plot since the Doom games. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I am replaying I-D War 2:Edge of Chaos (I still haven't beaten Act 2, i keep on getting stuck. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif). Great physics engine and amazing space sim. The most realistic i have found yet to date.

I am still pissed at microsoft for stealing Halo for the X-Box and delaying its PC release untill this summer. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_mad.gif

g99
2003-Feb-11, 09:58 PM
On 2003-02-11 16:28, darkhunter wrote:

Right now working on beating: Mechwarrior Four (three was almost too easy)

Have you played mercenaries yet? lots of fun. But get a force feedback controller to play it. Maked the sensation much, much more fun and realistic. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

SKY
2003-Feb-11, 10:04 PM
On 2003-02-11 15:51, Colt wrote:
I am surprised that many of you don't play video games, or at least haven't commented on we three wasting our time with trash like this. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif Right now I am driving around Vice City in a tank on my Playstation2. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif -Colt

Try the Apache, it's more fun. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

darkhunter
2003-Feb-11, 10:07 PM
Not yet--I try to beat the game in the original build before I go itno the expansion packs...though I did try the demo version once and plan on getting it. Currently working out the right balance of firepower, speed and armor to get through the Recon in Force...by usual bull-in-a-china-shop approach has reachs it's limit and now it's time to start on some better tactics...

sacrelicious
2003-Feb-11, 10:30 PM
I am still pissed at microsoft for stealing Halo for the X-Box and delaying its PC release untill this summer. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_mad.gif

I hear that! I'm a die hard PC gamer because pc technology is ahead of the console curve most of the time (there'es always that period in the early part of a console generation where they are ahead, but never by much), you can by expansion packs that cost roughly half the price of a full game that the console companies would sell as a "sequel" (not to mention mods such as Counter-strike that are free!), and the PC game are simply more fulfilling. see, the pc software developers have the luxery of being able to cater to niche markets, whereas consoles due to the why the industry is set up have to aim the bulk of their product at a mainstream audience. this results in a compromised, and more "arcadey" kind of game, which frankly just bores me. were it not for PC games, there would be no WWII or comercial airline flight sims (console brands would only support modern jet fighter games, with an eye towards relentless action), no strategy or tactical combat games (unless you consider Contra to be tactical...), and no FPS's that would require any deductive reasoning other than "where on this map does the AK-47 usually show up?" (and, as Serious Sam shows, PC games even do that better!)

I just hope that the console companies don't succeed in suffocating the PC game Market completely, cause thats where they get their only good ideas nowdays!

g99
2003-Feb-11, 10:33 PM
You took the words right out of my mouth. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Colt
2003-Feb-12, 06:33 AM
I beat the living daylights out of MW4: Vengeance and the same with Black Knight. I had always wanted to play one of the MW games but they were always too expensive. I found a three pack of MW4, BK, and Mech Commander 2 for $30 or $40. It simpley rocks, I like using the joystick since it has twist for turning. Mercenaries is a bit out of my league right now, price wise. One of the neat things about the MW games is that the spacecraft (look, astronomy!) look fairly realistic along with the ground vehicles.

Homeworld, not much you can say about that game. Very good space-based (more astronomy, lets try to talk about more astronomically based games. Anyone know if the BA plays games?) simulator with very good controls. Not necessarily realistic but.. Good.

I also like FPS games quite a bit too. Half-Life and some of its mods (FireArms, DOD, CS) has to be one of the best FPS games of all time. Aliens vs Predator 2 is also godly (the Aliens, Preds, and USCM are actually different). Right now I am playing around in Tribes (I bought Tribes2 but this machine can't run it). I really like the aspect of vehicles that work and the ability for everyone to hop short distance on their "jets".

There is an Apache in Vice City? What special (i.e. tank, gunboat, plane) vehicles are there? Right now I am only at the first boat mission where you have to steal a speedboat. So far I have only used a cheat to get the tank so I can cause general mayhem, but I don't save! Rather get through it on my own skill.

I love this BBS. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Intelligent, astronomically inclined, game-playing people. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif This is probably my longest post in a looonng time. -Colt

g99
2003-Feb-12, 07:02 AM
Ahh, now you are in my territory (finally something i know about!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif).

Tribes. I remember when that game frist came out. I got it right away when it came out and was playing it off and on untill tribes 2. I still think of it as superior to tribes 2, while not in graphics, but instead in the steadyness of the server and the massive amounts of mods people made. Tribes 2, intended to seepd up the gameplay, but it actually seems to me of slowed down, and the mod community is not as large. The original tribes was the first MM First person shooter and probobly will be the best in my mind.

AVP2. Ahh..I love this game. Play it multi all the time (where do i find time to do work, a girlfriend, this, and play games? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif) The Aliens are the best. The first level was scary as heck.

Homeworld. Good base building game. Very fun. Especially the 3 dimensions tactics. Also it had one of the greatest stories in a game in a long time. Its update was fantastic too (cataclysm).

Starcraft. Oh come on how can you mention space and not say this game? Shame on you for calling yourself a gamer. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif One of the best base building games of all time. Plus it had soaceships! (Astronomy!)

The thing. Scared the heck out of me when i played it in the dark by myself with the sound up. Yikes!! Basically based off of the movie of the same name (the 80's version).

Freespace 2. Great spacefighting game in a spaceship. The ships were massive and the fighting was intense. Great story and intertesting plot twists. Plus the visuals were amazing. If you like spoace and digfihting i reccomend this one.

Outpost 2. A old game by todays standards. Yet i still pop it in and play it from time to time. Basically you are running a off world colony. You have to set up agridomes and factories. Robot surveyors, convoys, miners. Also you have fighting machines and also you can launce satelites for power and spying. Fun.

Startopia. ne of my favorite games. Definitely space oriented. Basically you are owner of a section of a GIANT space station and have to grow foodand supplies on a agricultural deck, have a "recreation deck" fll of love salons and discos, and a industrial level filled with power and spacports. You have many, many different kinds of aliens and each with a different personality. You have zen like monks, a warrior, a sensual beauty, and even pests that you need ot exterminate . Also there is alot of humour in the game.

Star trek: Brige Commander. Be a captain of a starship! Need i say anymore?

Star Warks: Jedi Knight 2 Jedi Outcast. Great game. The lgihtsaber stuff is awesome!! Need i say anymore? (plus my fingers are getting tired.)

I will come up with more games later when i think of them,. That is all off the top of my head right now.

Cheers!

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

SKY
2003-Feb-12, 07:09 AM
Warning-Going off Astronomy topic for a sec.

On 2003-02-12 01:33, Colt wrote:
There is an Apache in Vice City? What special (i.e. tank, gunboat, plane) vehicles are there? Right now I am only at the first boat mission where you have to steal a speedboat. So far I have only used a cheat to get the tank so I can cause general mayhem, but I don't save! Rather get through it on my own skill.

This (http://www.cheatcc.com/psx2/gtavc.html) might help. I don't think there is a cheat for it, but you need 100 hidden packages and a police uniform (you can get the uniform at the police station after rescuing Cam Jones from the jail). The Apache (called brown thunder in the game) is located at the army base near the airport after you get 100 packages. You need the police uniform or the soldiers will fire on you and end up blowing up the chopper. It is located towards the back of the base so you have to work your way to it through a maze of fences. When you access the base, turn left and access the roof, then just use your instinct from there.

Good luck.

PS-And to keep up with the astronomy aspect...The moon in the game is way too big. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

sacrelicious
2003-Feb-12, 07:35 PM
on space combat flight sims:

I have only ever grown an affection for a couple of these, as most have had alot of trouble getting past the essential problem of the genre, that it is highly disorienting, what with the lack of "landmarks".

Colony Wars (original ps)-- this game had play control like nobodies bussiness! it was intuitive, and the ships were agile. it was arcadey, but not in a bad way, and it even had relatively realistic physics (bear in mind that any space fighter sim with extremely reslistic physics would be short on fun, and require a doctorate degree to even get past the first mission!) in that your craft would drift a little even if the thrusters arent engaged. also, since the planets in the background were all rendered in 3D, on a couple of levels you could actually fly to them (it took forever, but by the time you reached it the passing stars had put you into a kind of trance, so once there it was all the more entertaining because it was like you were high!) This game was too good for a console!

Star Wars X-wing Alliance-- man this game rocks! best Star Wars game since the old vector based arcade game. it really make you feel like you are in the universe of the movies. some missions were a bit on the tedious side, but that is tempered by the fact that the mission order was managed by a text file, so you could just move a couple things around to skip over the more annoying missions! and the fact that you get to take part in the battle of endor (including the death star tunnel run, which does not disapoint in its realism!) makes this THE X-wing game to play!

haven't played the freespace games, but I've heard they are very good too, so I'll have to try them sooner or later.

g99
2003-Feb-12, 08:59 PM
The freespace games should be in the bargin bin now in any good game store. If you do the stoiries are relatively seperate except for some common history between the humans and the bad guys. You won''t loose much playing only the second one and its expansion pack.

But if you are going to start off with a good spaceflight sim that is totaly "arcady" and do not have alot of skill, you might try some of the old wing commander games. They are relatively easy and will run on cheap systems. Plus they had good plots, altought some were very disjointed.

But if you are well versed in space sims or dogfighting sims, i would reccomend the I-war series or freespace series. But to warn you with the I-War series. I-war 1 (in my opinion) is much, much harder than I-war 2. The plot lines are also seperate and only have a couple of plot lines that join up just for kickcs to those who played the first one.

G99

darkhunter
2003-Feb-12, 09:45 PM
On 2003-02-11 17:30, sacrelicious wrote:
... show up?" (and, as Serious Sam shows, PC games even do that better!)

I just hope that the console companies don't succeed in suffocating the PC game Market completely, cause thats where they get their only good ideas nowdays!

My copies of Serious Sam came with the programs to build your own worlds--what console game is capable of that?

Bad Astronomy in Serious Sam: The Cariacture guys are flying around in a bunch of crate with no fuel or breathing oxygen, along with the usuale cliches (sorta back on topic)

Alpha Centauri: Once you build the Space elevator (or take it over, You can airdrop anywhere on Planet without penalties--makes me wonder where all the "extra" fuel is when droping in the same plane and why you can't pack more firepower on the units. Also all the relianc on psychic powers...

Starfox Adventures: Usual cliches, plus the planet all tore apart with the orbitin islands maintaining gravity and air as if they were still on the suface (can't think of another way to word that...)

Metroid Prime: not astronomy--but how does Samus cope with the Varia suit turning into a sphere?

David Hall
2003-Feb-12, 10:15 PM
Seriously folks, where do you guys find the time to play all these games? I have about a dozen PC game disks here and there, most of which I have never even tried to play simply because I have so many interests I can't devote the time to get into them. I've never been able to understand gaming in this respect.

I've also never understood the popularity of console gaming. First of all, the PC is a much more versatile machine, more than capable of running most games. Second, there are just too many different consoles out there! In order to keep up with all the games you might want to play, you have to shell out the sheckels for how many different systems and their peripherals? How many platforms are there now? PS1, PS2, Sega, Nintendo, X-box, not to mention legacy systems...do you even have room in your place for all these machines? Once again, why not just use the one big machine you do everything else on? All you need then is the CD and a joystick or two.

Time and money, two things you need a lot of for gaming, and two things I don't have enough of to participate. Sheesh
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

sacrelicious
2003-Feb-12, 10:39 PM
re: David Hall:

the best justification for consoles over PC games that I know of is that it's more conducive to a party atmosphere. if you have a bunch of people over, you can pop in a copy of one of the Tekken sequels (Street Fighter type games that are really easy to learn) and take turns fighting eachother. but it seems to me that if you are gonna let a party degenerate into playing video games, you should do it right and throw a Counter-strike LAN party!

as for time, I to have lots of interests, but gaming never really gets in the way for me. I geuss I just tend to put some of my other interests on hold when I get a new game, or when I decide to resume playing an old one. after a while, I pick back up on one or two of my other interests, and then the gaming is what gets put on hold. these things tend to go in cycles like that. naturally I can't get around to playing every game, few people can, but if you keep up on the game reviews and ask the opinions of people whose taste you trust, it becomes very easy to whittle all of gamedom down to just the good ones (or the ones that you would enjoy), and then it's alot easier to fit those into your schedule.

as to cost: warez baby, warez! (alternately, "Burn baby, burn!")

g99
2003-Feb-13, 01:02 AM
sacrelicious, exactly. Read reviews and just know what that game company is known for. If it is only know for making junk games, you might want to wait for it to go to the bargin bin. I have a whole list of games i want to play and i just go down the list checking off each one as i go. Then inbetween i go back to a old one.

Personally i have lots of time to play video games. I don't have a job (long story there). I don't study for exams untill the day before (lazy? Yet i still get A's /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif). If i wasn't playing i am usually on this board or watching T.V.. My grilfriend has work or school untill 8:00 every night so i can't see her untill then (if she doesn't have studying to do) and i get out of classes around 3:00. so what to do between 3:00 and 8:00? Also i stay up late. I don't spend all of my time playing games, but i do for a good amount of my free time.

Finally i just love games. I find them a stress reliever and a way to have alot of fun doing stuff i could never do in real life.

If you want a good site that accurately reviews games is <a href=http://www.gamespot.com>Gamespot</a>. There are many others, but i like that one the most. (Warning their forums suck. All trolls and half of the posts are made up of bad and anyoing signatures)

g99
2003-Feb-13, 01:17 AM
O.K. here are some more games i have thought of for space:

Voyager Elite Force. Kind of space. It is Star trek. But it is a great FPS (First Person Shooter). I reccomend it just for that. Even if you don't like Trek.

Jedi Knight: Dark forces series. good star wars FPS. But the series is older.

Quake series. FPS Takes place on other planets .

Doom series FPS. Takes place on Mars

Hmmm..Anyone see a pattern going on here? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Serious sam. FPS. Alien Planet. Discussed above.

Aliens Vs. Predator series. FPS. Play as either Alein, Pred, Marine. First sucked, second much better. Discussed above.

Halo. FPS. Coming soon to PC. YAY!!!

That all for now. If i think of more i will.

(I own many, many more games. Last count over a hundred (most at parents place). But I am trying to keep this related to space games. Or games that deal with space.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: g99 on 2003-02-12 20:17 ]</font>

Colt
2003-Feb-13, 03:34 AM
I probably have about 20 PC games with 10 of those being good ones (Combat Flight Simulator 2, modded out the rear-end of course:D). I have fewer console games since they are a tad expensive and you have to buy the console. I used to be a huge console fan.. Until we got a PC, and Half-Life. One of the discouraging factors about PC games though is all of the updates, problems with PC, and especially the sequels. One of the reason why I didn't play the Mechwarrior games.

I have always looked at Alpha Centauri but for some reason I have never picked it up. From the description on the box and what I have heard it is more like a space-based version of Simcity. From your above comments though it sounds sort of like StarCraft. I will read IGN's review of it and comment later. -Colt

darkhunter
2003-Feb-13, 10:11 PM
Alpha Centauri is like Civilization...

Start with a colony pod and start with building a city. The city then builds more units to either fight, modify the landscape, or build more cities. As you progress, you learn new technologies and sciences.

There are six (if think) other factions competing for resources. They can be enemies or allies (can flip back and forth). The game is over when you are eliminated, you defeat all of the other factions, are elected wolrd leader, or merge with Planet.

It's addictive (at least for me... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif )

darkhunter
2003-Feb-13, 10:29 PM
On 2003-02-12 17:15, David Hall wrote:
Seriously folks, where do you guys find the time to play all these games?

Multitasking /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif For example, while practicoing my guitar, I browse this board (so I'm not watching my fingers...)

Colt
2003-Feb-14, 05:09 AM
How much like Civilization is Alpha Centauri? I liked Civilization II to a point but I found parts of it were a bit tedious. Civilization III (played on a friend's computer) seemed to have lost some of its strategic value in favor of pretty graphics and an easy interface. -Colt

lpetrich
2003-Feb-14, 12:54 PM
Bungie, the creator of Halo, has been known for several other interesting games:

Minotaur (1992 Mac 2D network-combat game)

Pathways into Darkness (1993 Mac solo first-person shooter)

Marathon series (1994-96 Mac/PC solo/networked first-person shooter)

Myth series (1997-99 Mac/PC solo/networked real-time-tactics game)

Oni (2000 Mac/PC solo third-person shooter/fighting game)

Here is the astronomical content of the storylines of them:

Pathways into Darkness -- your job is to take a nuclear bomb and place it at the lowest level of a pyramid infested by nightmarish horrors in order to trap their "master". And then to set it off and escape in time.

Marathon -- for plenty of analysis, see the Marathon Story Page (http://marathon.bungie.org/story). Here's a summary:

M1: your character gets called from the Tau Ceti IV colony to its mother ship, the colony ship UESC Marathon, which has been invaded by nasty aliens, the Pfhor. And its computers' Artificial Intelligences are only somewhat helpful.

M2: One of those AI's hijacks himself into the Pfhor's ship, uploading himself into it, and shanghais you for a trip to Lh'owon, the homeworld of some of the Pfhor's other victims in hope of finding allies.

M-infinity: The Pfhor pull a sort-of victory from the jaws of defeat of Lh'owon, and you try to rerun the events of M2, hoping to find a timeline that turns out better.

The story is told in display-terminal texts, which are an elegant if not-often-used way of in-game storytelling. And your player character is not explained right away, but hinted at in those texts, which is a very nice touch.

In M1, in one text, we learn that the Marathon had ten military cyborgs smuggled aboard. And in another text, we learn that nine of them are at the Tau Ceti IV colony. Where is #10?

You can get the whole series in the Mac Action Sack, available from Bungie itself. To run on Windows and Linux, check out the Marathon Open Source Project (http://source.bungie.org); you'll also get OpenGL 3D acceleration.

Myth -- set in a Tolkienesque sword-and-sorcery world. There is a comet which comes by every thousand years, heralding a switch in dominance from the "Light" to the "Dark" and the reverse the next time around.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: lpetrich on 2003-02-14 07:57 ]</font>

darkhunter
2003-Feb-14, 07:29 PM
On 2003-02-14 00:09, Colt wrote:
How much like Civilization is Alpha Centauri? I liked Civilization II to a point but I found parts of it were a bit tedious. Civilization III (played on a friend's computer) seemed to have lost some of its strategic value in favor of pretty graphics and an easy interface. -Colt

Not sure--all I have for civilization is the original DOS version...