PDA

View Full Version : Black Hole Gulps Down a Neutron Star

Fraser
2005-Dec-16, 02:02 PM
SUMMARY: An international team of astronomers have analyzed a recent short gamma-ray burst, and they think it's the last scream of a neutron star being gobbled up by a black hole. The burst was discovered on July 24, 2005 by NASA's Swift satellite, and then astronomers performed followup observations with a variety of instruments. The length of the explosion and the wavelengths of radiation emitted have led astronomers to the conclusion that it had to be a neutron star colliding with a black hole.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/cannibal_blackhole.html)
What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

Gullible Jones
2005-Dec-16, 09:16 PM
The black hole involved was supermassive, wasn't it? I think an encounter between a neutron star and an ordinary black hole would be more interesting - with really big black holes, tidal forces may not come into effect until you're past the event horizon. I can't help but wonder what a neutron star being torn to shreds would look like... Probably a spectacle to die for, quite literally.

imported_alan
2005-Dec-16, 11:07 PM
I believe it was a stellar mass black hole that the neutron star collided with. That is the leading theory for short gamma ray bursts: two compact objects, a neutron star and a black hole or two neutron stars, colliding and merging. The long gamma ray bursts are thought to be caused by jets from supernovas.

Gullible Jones
2005-Dec-17, 01:03 AM
Ah, my bad. Thanks.

I'll still stand by my comment about it being a sight to (literally) die for... ;)