PDA

View Full Version : Do you like the show '24'?

Disinfo Agent
2005-Dec-16, 03:42 PM
I watched the first few episodes of this show, but it never did anything for me. Is it really that popular?

farmerjumperdon
2005-Dec-16, 03:56 PM
I saw the commercials - it's all I needed to see. Some guy, or group of people, save the world, or some significant portion of it, about once per week; less often when there are scheduling conflicts, maybe more often during sweeps, and in a rather repetitive mode during the summer.

A.DIM
2005-Dec-16, 04:35 PM
First season was pretty good, the second was fair, and it has since been rather blase.

farmerjumperdon
2005-Dec-16, 04:54 PM
First season was pretty good, the second was fair, and it has since been rather blase.

Which is how most TV goes. Even if an idea is original, or at least innovative, it gets old quick when you have to save the world every week. How many different and/or interesting storylines can you do? How many that have not been done to death already?

Why watch it? Why care about it? Actually, I think people watch but don't care, which really says something about the medium.*

I don't know who said it, but TV replacing religion as the opiate of the masses had to be one of the most accurate insights ever regarding mass media.

*Isn't that the name of another absolute must-watch, can't-live-without-it, Earth-shattering, ground-breaking, show? Or is it just another lame piece of trash. Or is it both things, separated only by the amount of time it takes to go from media frenzy to old news.

Lianachan
2005-Dec-16, 04:59 PM
I had to vote Never watched it/no opinion, but the reason I've never watched it is that it looks like I'd hate it. So it's not no opinion, but I can't really vote I don't like it.

mid
2005-Dec-16, 05:21 PM
I was absolutely blown away by the first episode, really liked the next few, found the whole plot too convoluted to continue suspending my belief around episode 4, missed episode 6 and never managed to get back into it because I was utterly lost.

Candy
2005-Dec-16, 05:29 PM
Isn't this the show that is based on a 24 hour period? I get confused with the back in real-time thing. I'm usually at work when I watch it, so I'm multi-tasking. I think if I could actually sit down and focus on just the show, then I would like it.

LurchGS
2005-Dec-16, 05:38 PM
It looked interesting, that first season, so I subjected it to Lurch's first rule of Television watching.

I watched three different episodes.
if 2 episode are 'good', it's a watchable show
if all 3 episodes are 'good', I'll actually make an effort to watch it when it's on
if 2 or more episodes are bad, it's not watchable

24 failed the test. Ergo, I don't watch it

pumpkinpie
2005-Dec-16, 06:39 PM
I have seen EVERY episode of EVERY season and have to say that it is some of the best tv out there. I love it and I can't wait for season five. There are so many "WHAT THE HECK?" moments to end an episode that it always blows me away. I can't wait to find out what happens next! It's such an intense hour of tv that I refuse to answer the phone. Even during the commercials! I'm sorry that so many of you don't care for it, only because it give me so much enjoyment that I wish everyone could experience it!

My roommate last year made a "I Heart Jack Bauer" tshirt. If I made one, I'd use Tony Almedia. :whistle:

Matherly
2005-Dec-16, 06:48 PM
While I'm not quite as into it as Pumpkin Pie, I will say that '24' is one of the few shows I can say I've seen all of the shows that have been televised (I can also say that about 'Babylon 5' and 'Firefly', although the last was easy)

And while it might be quite easy to pick holes in a scene or a character, on the whole it is one of the most enjoyable shows on T.V.

pumpkinpie
2005-Dec-16, 06:53 PM
Matherly, you mean you wouldn't make a "I heart Chloe" t-shirt?;)

Parrothead
2005-Dec-16, 07:23 PM
I have been catching up on this show, by taping the 4 hr blocks A&E has been airing and quite enjoy it. Yes, one must suspend belief, but big deal, you have to do that with most shows anyways. I find the format of the show engrossing. Time constraints from one season to the next are non-existent, as it can just be inferred the next "day" is months or year(s) down the road. This helps dodge a continuity bullet in regards to aging of main characters, which may cause some problems for a show like "Lost", down the road.