PDA

View Full Version : Halifax: 2014 Commonwealth Games

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2005-Dec-16, 07:01 PM
http://www.2014halifax.com/home/index.cfm

HenrikOlsen
2005-Dec-16, 07:26 PM
I realise I may regret asking this, but what are the Commonwealth Games?

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2005-Dec-16, 07:40 PM
http://www.cgce.co.uk/history.html

paulie jay
2005-Dec-17, 02:19 AM
Nice one for Halifax!

The next Commonwealth Games will be in Melbourne is 2008. Looking forward to all that gold... :)

As the medal table shows, the rest of the Commonwealth has got a bit of catching up to do!

jkmccrann
2005-Dec-18, 11:39 AM
Nice one for Halifax!

The next Commonwealth Games will be in Melbourne is 2008. Looking forward to all that gold... :)

As the medal table shows, the rest of the Commonwealth has got a bit of catching up to do!

Well, its actually next year Paulie Jay, the media down here is starting to go into overdrive about the whole thing, under 90 days till the start of competition now on March 15th. The only impediments to the build-up of interest are the Boxing Day Test and the Australian Open which will demand their own attention, but after the tennis finishes up its going to be a bit of a frenzy down here.

Should be some serious partying coming up on that front.

paulie jay
2005-Dec-18, 01:04 PM
Oops - meant 2006 of course!

jkmccrann
2005-Dec-18, 01:35 PM
If you're into that sort of thing, you can bet on how many gold medals we'll win, there're markets for 70-80, 80-90, 90-100, 100-110, 110+ etc. etc. To be honest, I think it'll probably be in the 80-90 mark, right where it's been '02 Manchester, '98 KL and '94 Victoria. I'm not really fussed, we just have to make sure we don't surrender top spot to the Poms!

Its bad enough that we're not going to take home the 1500m for the first time in forever, but we daren't surrender the medal tally in our Home Games.

mickal555
2005-Dec-18, 01:40 PM
Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!

teri tait
2005-Dec-18, 03:39 PM
Roo Roo Roo

Big Brother Dunk
2005-Dec-19, 03:13 AM
Congrats to Halifax. I know you guys will put on a great show.
http://www.websmileys.com/sm/drink/trink39.gif

I love Halifax. I was there in 2003 for a conference and I fell in love with the city. I hope to be back in the near future for a bit of a vacation with my wife.

mickal555
2005-Dec-19, 08:19 AM
Roo Roo Roo

:lol:
Oi! Oi! Oi!

Heid the Ba'
2005-Dec-19, 12:13 PM
Other contenders seem to be Glasgow, New Delhi and Wales. It would be good if it was someone other than the usual triangle of UK, Canada and Oz was given the games.

Other than Betty opening the Games there is very little UK input into the Commonwealth these days. It is more a developing world organisation, which is why Mozambique and others have joined despite no historical connection to the UK.

jkmccrann
2005-Dec-19, 01:16 PM
Other contenders seem to be Glasgow, New Delhi and Wales. It would be good if it was someone other than the usual triangle of UK, Canada and Oz was given the games.

Other than Betty opening the Games there is very little UK input into the Commonwealth these days. It is more a developing world organisation, which is why Mozambique and others have joined despite no historical connection to the UK.

Actually, New Delhi has the games for 2010, so they won't be going for it again.

And, don't forget, KL, Malaysia had the 2nd last games. (1998)

In terms of them coming to Melbourne, I think its only fair we get a shot at hosting them given we always have the most athletes participating at them! And it is the first time the games will have been to Melbourne, which happens to be Australia's Sporting Capital.........