PDA

View Full Version : Chicago bar serves up 950 dollar cocktail

Titana
2005-Dec-16, 07:32 PM
A jeweler turned drink designer has made a splash in the Chicago bar scene with a new cocktail that costs a whopping 950 dollars.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051215/lf_afp/afplifestylenightclubusdrink;_ylt=ApkzA3HSRMmX933i wIvZE9Ks0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3ODdxdHBhBHNlYwM5NjQ-

nine hundred and fifty dollars! :shifty:

Titana.

HenrikOlsen
2005-Dec-16, 07:37 PM
It includes a one carat ruby.
Still crazy.

farmerjumperdon
2005-Dec-16, 07:51 PM
Basically, they took a page out of the silly-overpriced-gadgets-for-people-with-money-to-burn catalog.

LurchGS
2005-Dec-16, 08:42 PM
OK, I had to go next door and ask (jewelers). A bottom of the line ruby, 1ct, wholesale, is about $650

Titana
2005-Dec-17, 12:58 AM
That is still cheaper then the drink though.....:)

Titana.

Gullible Jones
2005-Dec-17, 01:01 AM
How obnoxiously, nauseatingly extravagant.

HenrikOlsen
2005-Dec-17, 04:46 AM
Nah.
The extravagant part would be to just chug the entier drink, ruby included.

Candy
2005-Dec-17, 05:43 AM
I'd like a diamond ring, please. :shifty:

My only diamond "ring" was given to me by my Grandma Stair. She had her earrings made into a ring just for me. I don't have pierced ears. She loves me very much. http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Oh, yeah, pass the booze!

Enzp
2005-Dec-17, 06:21 AM
So let's not worry about how much dinner with ToSeek cost, you could have ordered drinks too.

Candy
2005-Dec-17, 06:23 AM
So let's not worry about how much dinner with ToSeek cost, you could have ordered drinks too.
Oh, we did! :razz:

Enzp
2005-Dec-17, 07:22 AM
But THOSE drinks?

Nome sane?

Candy
2005-Dec-17, 07:31 AM
But THOSE drinks?

Nome sane?
I was a little intoxicated, but ToSeek was so in control. What a man! :razz:
He could of had his way with me, but such a gentleman.

Enzp
2005-Dec-17, 08:09 AM
Class is its own reward.

LurchGS
2005-Dec-18, 04:14 AM
back to a slightly earlier sub-topic... yeah, no matter how you square it, that drink is insanely overpriced - **unless** the ruby is not bottom of the line (it's certainly not top! 1ct pure red clear runs about $2000)..

But I'm betting the bar is making neary $200 on each drink (based on their claim that the fixin's cost about $120)

teri tait
2005-Dec-18, 05:10 AM
Wow, I thought all you could find at the bottom of a booze bottle was the dregs of yourself respect...the more things change, the more they stay the same. ;)

LurchGS
2005-Dec-18, 05:36 AM
don't forget worms.. there's worms in some of them bottles.. and dead yeast

Candy
2005-Dec-18, 05:43 AM
I found a cigarette butt, once. I didn't realize someone had put it in my can of beer (Ball State Party) :mad:

LurchGS
2005-Dec-18, 05:53 AM
One day, after a long day at work, a man schlepped into a bar and ordered a beer. Just has he took his first sip, a siren went by outside. Along with the rest of the patrons and staff, he sped outside to see what was going on, and was treated to the view of a police car speeding down the street.

Upon his return to the bar, he discovered that his beer mug was empty. Looking around, he could find nobody who seemed guilty. Somewhat disgruntled, he ordered another beer.

But, hardly had his second beer arrived when another siren sounded outside. Again, everybody ran outside - this time just able to see an ambulance speed around the corner.

Also again, when our hero returned to the bar, his beer was gone and nobody looked even remotely guilty. Now in a high snit, he ordered a THIRD beer, determined to keep it to himself.

Just as he was settling down for a good swallow, there was a horrendous crash right outside on the street. Taking a second to jot a note reading "I spit in this beer" and posting it on his mug, he raced outside.

In fairly short order, things calmed down and the patrons returned to the bar again. Our hero could see his beer still sitting on the bar. In a considerably better frame of mind, he strode up to the bar - and read what had been added to his sign: "I know, so did I"

-----

thank you, thank you. I'm here all week. Try the veal cuttlets

teri tait
2005-Dec-18, 06:18 AM
don't forget worms.. there's worms in some of them bottles.. and dead yeast

In my younger stupider days I et one of those woims...yuck

There's a bar in alaska that serves a drink called the 'black finger' or some such...guess what's in THAT drink...

LurchGS
2005-Dec-18, 06:39 AM
hrm..in Pellican?

teri tait
2005-Dec-18, 08:05 AM
hrm..in Pellican?

Might be Pelican, I've never been to actual locale, just heard of the drink...I considered donating a digit but the thought of severing a finger sobered me right up...besides they have several they just recycle, said finger only need touch the tongue methinks...then they pop it back in the cooler, till the next cheechako comes in..

Titana
2005-Dec-18, 05:07 PM
In my younger stupider days I et one of those woims...yuck

There's a bar in alaska that serves a drink called the 'black finger' or some such...guess what's in THAT drink...

I have heard that eating one of those worms will get you drunker then the whole bottle of boose. Although i dont know if it is true or not....:lol:

Titana.

Titana
2005-Dec-18, 05:11 PM
I found a cigarette butt, once. I didn't realize someone had put it in my can of beer (Ball State Party) :mad:

That has happened to me many times too. Usually somebody puts out their cigarrette in my can of coke....Taste horrible...

Titana.

LurchGS
2005-Dec-18, 05:16 PM
I have heard that eating one of those worms will get you drunker then the whole bottle of boose. Although i dont know if it is true or not....:lol:
Titana.

I don't think that's possible, but it's a nice myth - after all, the worm is just a worm soaked in an alcohol/water mix. There's no way to cram more alcohol into an itty-bitty worm than is already in the bottle.

Teri - I just suggested Pelican because Rose (if she's still alive) is warped enough to do things like that, though it wasn't on the menu when I was last there.

Of course, there are other places as warped (or more so), but that's the one that sticks most firmly in my mind

teri tait
2005-Dec-20, 06:26 AM
Teri - I just suggested Pelican because Rose (if she's still alive) is warped enough to do things like that, though it wasn't on the menu when I was last there.

Of course, there are other places as warped (or more so), but that's the one that sticks most firmly in my mind

That, my friend, is the reason "home" to me is Alaska. Full of creative minds hemmed in by bitter cold...thinking. Have you ever been to Harry's in Anchortown? A whole freakin' bar dedicated to the memory of a stubbornly resolute man.
Or that cool bar in Girdwood, think its called Rainbow Bar or something close to that. Gussie L'amours is good too, but nothing tops 'Koots (Chilkoot Charlies)...stagger out at 2am (daylight still in summer) hit the Hog Bros Cafe for killer omlette...truly decadent fun.
I'm going for a visit next year, I haven't been home since '99.

Candy
2005-Dec-20, 10:37 AM
I've been to Chilkoot Charlies. I still have matches somewhere. :razz:

LurchGS
2005-Dec-27, 02:56 AM
Actually, I don't drag the bars any more (gave it up long time ago). Was only in Rosies for a contest they hold there.. restricted to men only. I won't go into details, but it does have to do with size... and usually snow is used to assist the "winner".

I spent most time in Anchorage touristing, hitting bookstores, magic shops.. that sorta thing.

teri tait
2005-Dec-27, 06:33 AM
Actually, I don't drag the bars any more (gave it up long time ago). Was only in Rosies for a contest they hold there.. restricted to men only. I won't go into details, but it does have to do with size... and usually snow is used to assist the "winner".

I spent most time in Anchorage touristing, hitting bookstores, magic shops.. that sorta thing.

Did you frequent the Book Cache? That was my favorite. Never been to a magic store, what was it called?

ToSeek
2005-Dec-27, 03:21 PM
Well, I know where Candy and I aren't going next year.... ;)

LurchGS
2005-Dec-29, 06:55 AM
ha I don't know... if it had books, I went in... ditto for the magic store - and it was years ago. Probably before even ToSeek was born

ToSeek
2005-Dec-29, 03:27 PM
ha I don't know... if it had books, I went in... ditto for the magic store - and it was years ago. Probably before even ToSeek was born

1957?