PDA

View Full Version : Vote for Cassini: Time Magazine Image of the Year

2005-Dec-16, 08:35 PM
The Planetary Society Weblog: Vote for Cassini! (http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00000319/)

[From Carolyn Porco:]
Time Magazine is running an Image of the Year contest, and at the moment, one of our Cassini images of Dione seen against Saturn is in 2nd place! Go to http://www.time.com/time/potw/2005_editors_choice/vote.html and help us win.

mickal555
2005-Dec-16, 11:35 PM
Cool

:razz::razz:

John M. Dollan
2005-Dec-17, 09:52 AM
Personally, I would have chosen an image from the surface of Titan as a submission. Nevertheless, I've voted for Cassini; that image is quite beautiful indeed.

...John...

ToSeek
2005-Dec-17, 05:08 PM
It's now in first place, but only by a narrow margin.

Wish you could see larger versions of the photos. You don't seem to be able to, at least not after voting.

Candy
2005-Dec-17, 07:19 PM
Done! :razz:

Titana
2005-Dec-17, 07:42 PM
The Cassini image is still in 1st place by 2%....:p

Titana.

mahesh
2005-Dec-17, 08:33 PM
all the images i've seen from Cassini are incredibly beautiful...hauntingly beautiful! i see them in my dreams sometimes... they are just soooo amazing!

and this would not have been so easily possible without UT / BA - BAUT.
so thank you Mr Cain.

(shucks, i can't believe it that i am posting this from home...i did downgrade the 'cookies' acceptance and it works..thanks again Mr C!)

2005-Dec-17, 09:38 PM
The Cassini image is still in 1st place by 2%

All right. It was second, down by 2%, when I first looked yesterday.

Most of the other images are almost too small to even tell what's going on. At least Cassini's has an abstract, geometric beauty that comes through. I think it's got a good chance -- unless someone lobbies up group support for some other image.

Launch window
2005-Dec-19, 03:09 AM
very nice !

Superluminal
2005-Dec-19, 03:47 AM
Just checked, it's up 31% to 20% for second place.

Kristophe
2005-Dec-19, 06:05 AM
32% to 20%, now. Cassini: The Little Orbiter That Could

ToSeek
2005-Dec-19, 08:31 PM
I wonder if someone has managed to write a program to vote automatically.

Dragon Star
2005-Dec-19, 08:33 PM
I wonder if someone has managed to write a program to vote automatically.

Now THATS a good idea, why don't you jump right on that ToSeek?:)

tlbs101
2005-Dec-19, 10:51 PM
We had the picture of the surface of Titan on our referigerator, but now it is covered up by the picture of Dione/Saturn (along with drawings from the grandkids).

IMHO, it is one of the most beautiful photographs I have seen.

harlequin
2005-Dec-20, 02:15 AM
Cassini has a rather significant plurality at 40%.

mickal555
2005-Dec-20, 02:55 AM

Cassini has a rather significant plurality at 40%.

:shifty:

ToSeek
2005-Dec-20, 03:22 AM

I've done that, but I've felt very naughty for doing so. :evil:

HenrikOlsen
2005-Dec-20, 05:39 AM
Cassini is now at 41%, with number 2 at 17%
I'm guessing it's heavily influensed by not having the full size pictures.
The Cassini image is still striking as a thumbnail.

jrkeller
2005-Dec-20, 03:28 PM
It's now 42% and 17%

Laguna
2005-Dec-20, 05:52 PM
For larger versions:
http://www.time.com/time/yip/2005/
EDIT:
Forget it! These are just named the best pictures of the year too.

GDwarf
2005-Dec-21, 01:31 AM
I rather dislike people that do that, I know that most, if not all, online polls are worthless, but when a really big one (Such as the GameFAQs annual 'Character competition') comes around and people use these voting bots it just ruins the fun, it stops being the option liked by the most people and becomes the option that has the most computer programmers/hackers/script kiddies liking it, which is far from the same thing.

I'm still very annoyed by the guy who got himself and about 3 of his friends to run a voting bot in a GameFAQS poll, considering the character he voted for won by about 2% over the character I was voting for (This was about 2 years ago, and the guy admitted to it, after his character won, of course).

dvb
2005-Dec-21, 11:45 AM
44% and 16% now. The Cassini image is the only picture not taken by a photographer interestingly enough.

Maksutov
2005-Dec-21, 01:22 PM
44% and 16% now. The Cassini image is the only picture not taken by a photographer interestingly enough.No, it was taken by a photographer, just remotely. Do photographers today hold their hands over the lens in order to provide a shutter? Do they form their hand into a tight aperture to stop down the lens? No, they do it remotely, via a mechanical or electronic shutter/iris. If photographers decide to use a cable or electronic signal to actuate/adjust the shutter and iris, does that mean they're not taking the picture?

The Cassini image is just as much taken by a photographer as any other camera.

Just a lot more spectacular than most.

dvb
2005-Dec-21, 04:34 PM
No, it was taken by a photographer, just remotely. Do photographers today hold their hands over the lens in order to provide a shutter? Do they form their hand into a tight aperture to stop down the lens? No, they do it remotely, via a mechanical or electronic shutter/iris. If photographers decide to use a cable or electronic signal to actuate/adjust the shutter and iris, does that mean they're not taking the picture?

My mistake Mak, you're correct. I guess I assumed that Cassini took the pictures autonomously, and without any human intervention. Next time I will consult someone who is an expert such as yourself on the working dynamics of Cassini's mission. :liar:

Maksutov
2005-Dec-23, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by Maksutov
No, it was taken by a photographer, just remotely. Do photographers today hold their hands over the lens in order to provide a shutter? Do they form their hand into a tight aperture to stop down the lens? No, they do it remotely, via a mechanical or electronic shutter/iris. If photographers decide to use a cable or electronic signal to actuate/adjust the shutter and iris, does that mean they're not taking the picture?

My mistake Mak, you're correct. I guess I assumed that Cassini took the pictures autonomously, and without any human intervention. Next time I will consult someone who is an expert such as yourself on the working dynamics of Cassini's mission. :liar:Thanks. Despite the apparent sarcasm, you're not too far off the mark.