PDA

View Full Version : Dewey

coberst
2005-Dec-17, 09:56 PM
Dewey

I am a retired engineer with some formal education in philosophy that I gained over a period of time while engaged in my engineering career. I have, over the last thirty years, been actively engaged in reading a great deal of history, biography, philosophy and science. All of this activity I would describe as disinterested learning. To me this means learning only for the sake of knowing and understanding. I find value in knowing and understanding as an end in-itself.

One thing that has struck me along the way is that contemporary philosophizing has become irrelevant to and disinterested in the problems of society. I also think that society has suffered enormously as a result of this failure. This is my opinion and from what I read it is an opinion shared by many.

Perhaps one result of this failure of contemporary philosophizing has had an advantageous result. The result I speak of is a rebirth of interest in the works of John Dewey. I have discovered Dewey only lately and have become only slightly familiar with his work. His work is prodigious and I have gained most of my understanding from secondary sources. “Understanding John Dewey” by James Campbell is my primary source of contact so far.

I would like to recommend the thoughts of John Dewey to all those who are disheartened by the direction of education, politics and the general drift of our society wherein citizens have allowed themselves to become propagandized into recognizing production and consumption as its most important values.

R.A.F.
2005-Dec-17, 10:01 PM
How many of these "philosophy threads" are you going to start coberst??

sarongsong
2005-Dec-18, 12:18 AM
Apparently, it's a bottomless pit that never varies in composition:
thread 1 (http://www.the-brights.net/forums/lofiversion/index.php?t2490.html)
thread 2 (http://www.churchofcriticalthinking.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=331)

Wolverine
2005-Dec-18, 01:41 AM
Since this is posted in BABBling, the best advice I can offer to folks that don't want to read a user's threads would be: don't click on them.

coberst
2005-Dec-18, 07:34 PM
What is character? Character is the network of habits that permeate all the intentional acts of an individual.

My understanding of character and the quotations that follow concerning the nature of character are taken from “Habits and Will” by John Dewey http://www.alexandercenter.com/jd/johndeweyhabits.html.

I am not using the word habit in the way we often do, as a technical ability existing apart from our wishes. These habits are an intimate and fundamental part of our selves. They are representations of our will. They rule our will, working in a coordinated way they dominate our way of acting. These habits are the results of repeated, intelligently controlled, actions.

Habits also control the formation of ideas as well as physical actions. We cannot perform a correct action or a correct idea without having already formed correct habits. “Reason pure of all influence from prior habit is a fiction.” “The medium of habit filters all material that reaches our perception and thought.” “Immediate, seemingly instinctive, feeling of the direction and end of various lines of behavior is in reality the feeling of habits working below direct consciousness.” “Habit means special sensitiveness or accessibility to certain classes of stimuli, standing predilections and aversions, rather than bare recurrence of specific acts. It means will.”

R.A.F.
2005-Dec-18, 08:34 PM
Since this is posted in BABBling, the best advice I can offer to folks that don't want to read a user's threads would be: don't click on them.

I had to read this a couple of times before it's meaning became appearent...sometimes I am so slow. :)

N C More
2005-Dec-18, 09:05 PM

Yeah, I guess that's the best advice.

I just wish coberst would clarify existing issues before entering into new subject areas, such as the questions put to him by Nereid here in the "Normal Science" thread (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=35512&page=2) (from General Science).

coberst
2005-Dec-18, 09:43 PM
N C

In fact I gave a long and cogent response in this matter.

N C More
2005-Dec-18, 09:52 PM
N C

In fact I gave a long and cogent response in this matter.

I guess you didn't see this post (http://www.bautforum.com/showpost.php?p=628165&postcount=35) yet.

Gemini
2005-Dec-19, 12:22 AM
Make it stop,Make it stop,Make it stop!!!!

Sorry;)

Monique
2005-Dec-19, 01:17 AM
Make it stop,Make it stop,Make it stop!!!!

Sorry;)
never stop... go on for pages and pages and pages :eek:...

:p

paulie jay
2005-Dec-19, 06:59 AM
One thing that has struck me along the way is that contemporary philosophizing has become irrelevant to and disinterested in the problems of society.
Well, what with global warming it's probably harder to tell the hot air from the hot air I suppose.

sarongsong
2005-Dec-19, 07:16 AM
Yes, short and clear sentences would surely aid the cause.