PDA

View Full Version : Is the new BSG the best science fiction t.v. show ever made?

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2005-Dec-20, 01:55 PM
I'm still re-watching season one. I don't think I could ever grow tired of watching that show. The quality of the writing/acting is unsurpassed. James Edward Olmos is aces in my books!!!

Archer17
2005-Dec-20, 02:26 PM
I don't know about ever made - I'd have to think about it some - but after initially not liking it all that much this newer, non-campy version of BSG grew on me to the point where I think it's the best offering of SciFi's Friday night lineup.

Dave Mitsky
2005-Dec-20, 03:05 PM
I really don't care for the often unnecessary changes to the plot of the original "Battlestar Galactica" original series (not that I consider the first version very good in the slightest) and the technology that isn't all that much farther advanced than present day Earth. Also, there are just too many parallels with earthly culture (for instance, the proper names of the characters) that weren't in the original. I suppose the producers feel that people won't identify with the characters as much if they come from an alien civilization. In my opinion, it would have been better for the producers of the show to drop the twenty-five year old baggage and create a completely novel series.

I'll grant that the acting is certainly "light years" ahead of that of the original BSG.

Dave Mitsky

Gillianren
2005-Dec-20, 06:30 PM
No. Firefly is.

parallaxicality
2005-Dec-20, 06:44 PM
I agree; Firefly is the most interesting scifi "space opera" on right now. The new BNG is an improvement over the last, though the "sexed up" plotlines generally leave me cold, and, though I hate to say this, I liked the old theme music better.

Parrothead
2005-Dec-20, 07:35 PM
I don't know about BSG being "best ever". Comparisons to shows from the past, is like comparing apples and oranges, due to different technologies available, etc. I would say, it is among the best of the current crop of shows, where it comes down to personal preference, in my case I enjoyed BSG and then really got into Charlie Jade. We'll see how BSG holds up once Space starts airing Season 2, next month, in the meantime I'm happily taping Charlie Jade off of City tv, while decisions regarding a Season 2 are still being decided. :)

R.A.F.
2005-Dec-20, 07:42 PM
Best sf show ever made? I'd have to say no...

Disinfo Agent
2005-Dec-20, 08:25 PM
[...] though I hate to say this, I liked the old theme music better.Why do you hate to say it?

parallaxicality
2005-Dec-20, 08:26 PM
because it reveals my cheesy taste in music.

Van Rijn
2005-Dec-20, 08:41 PM
I don't know about BSG being "best ever". Comparisons to shows from the past, is like comparing apples and oranges, due to different technologies available, etc.

I agree with that. For example, how do you compare BSG to Star Trek Classic? It is a bit closer to B5, but there are great differences there as well.

I like it a lot, but I won't try to make direct comparisons and it certainly isn't what I would call "best ever."

Renderking Fisk
2005-Dec-20, 08:50 PM
Babalon 5 was the best. I can't watch BSG since the final episode of Season 2.

akula
2005-Dec-20, 09:07 PM
Don't really care for the new Battlestar.

For current shows, my vote would definitely go to 'Firefly'

Charly
2005-Dec-20, 09:14 PM
I think episode for episode its the best.

I cant remember a poor episode of Battlestar, whereas there were truely diabolical episodes of DS9, Farscape, B5. And even Firefly had some boring episodes.

TOS is almost completely lame in my book, and cant really be compared to modern sci-fi, or be considered top quality written drama any more than Blakes 7 could win emmys for acting.

So if it can keep it up consistantly, BSG may end up being the best fullstop. But it needs at least another season or so.

Doodler
2005-Dec-20, 10:15 PM
I'd have to go with Babylon 5 as the best of the recent crop, with Farscape and Firefly tied for #2.

DukePaul
2005-Dec-20, 11:36 PM
I'd have to go with Babylon 5 as the best of the recent crop, with Farscape and Firefly tied for #2.

I'll have to agree with that.

parallaxicality
2005-Dec-21, 09:00 AM
I seem to be a minority of one in the scifi geek community, but I found Babylon 5 to be, in few words, "much potential, little fulfillment." The grand idea of a "novel for television" turned into a damp squib with the end of the Shadow War and the sudden shift back to Earth politics. Even at the start I didn't like the show's division of the sentient races of the galaxy into "humans" and "everybody else." I actually preferred DS9.

Dave Mitsky
2005-Dec-21, 09:33 AM
I'll have to agree with that.

Me too. I'd put ST:TNG ahead of Firefly, however.

Dave Mitsky

MrClean
2005-Dec-21, 02:08 PM
Firefly
Farscape
Stargate
StarTrek the original was cool as it was SciFi and a ground breaker
StarTrek the rest was just too dang preachy to give a hang, I'd rather watch Xfiles reruns, except for the episode with the metallic cockroaches, that still gives me the willies.
The rest of that trash is just that trash. You only like it because they dress up in costumes for the geek squad, thats why I liked it.

Also realize that Firefly is just a western, the most succesful style of TV show ever made, it's just in space. Rugged individualism wins again.

TinFoilHat
2005-Dec-21, 03:11 PM
I'd place the new BSG above any of the incarnations of Star Trek. About on the same level as Babylon 5 and Farscape. Not as good as Firefly, but easily the best science fiction TV show currently in production that I've seen.

Dave Mitsky
2005-Dec-21, 03:55 PM
Costumes mean nothing to me. Good scripts, acting, and production values do however.

Firefly's run was so short that the overall quality of the shows is much higher than that of long-lived shows. I find it somewhat offputting though because of its Westernisms, "I reckon".

Anyway, here are my top 5 favorites:

B5
ST:TNG (during its prime)
Firefly
ST:TOS (partially for sentimental value and not the third season shows)
Stargate: SG-1

Dave Mitsky

Doodler
2005-Dec-21, 04:46 PM
The last three seasons of TNG were pretty solid stuff too. Deep Space 9 was good, but to me, it will always be the series Berman and Braga hijacked from John Strazynski (He pitched to Paramount and was turned down, then along comes DS9, complete with a shapeshifter like "The Gathering". So much for intellectual property, eh?)

Moose
2005-Dec-21, 04:49 PM
1) Firefly.
2) Babylon 5.

The others can quibble over the scraps.

Moose
2005-Dec-21, 04:55 PM
Firefly's run was so short that the overall quality of the shows is much higher than that of long-lived shows.

I'm not following your logic here. In any case, it seems to be axiomatic that most sci-fi shows find their groove around season 3.

I can't begin to imagine how much better Firefly might have been were the show to have seen its third season, it seems to me all the characters were firmly dialed in right from the start.

Dave Mitsky
2005-Dec-21, 08:24 PM
Why must it be axiomatic? The third season of Star Trek was awful. I think the overall quality and success of any television show is a synergy of a number of factors, one of which is simply "luck". Sometimes things come together immediately and the show is a tremendous hit, such as Lost and Desperate Housewives most recently, and sometimes it isn't, as was the case with Firefly. Often it takes a while for a show to hit its stride but networks are reluctant today to give them much of a chance. (Seinfeld was not an immediate hit.) Inevitably, at some point a show will "jump the shark", however, and quality will begin to suffer.

Dave Mitsky

hawaii50girl
2005-Dec-22, 06:39 PM
i prefer the original series with Lorne Greene than the new one because of the way their changed the characters.

Doodler
2005-Dec-22, 10:27 PM
Why must it be axiomatic? The third season of Star Trek was awful. I think the overall quality and success of any television show is a synergy of a number of factors, one of which is simply "luck". Sometimes things come together immediately and the show is a tremendous hit, such as Lost and Desperate Housewives most recently, and sometimes it isn't, as was the case with Firefly. Often it takes a while for a show to hit its stride but networks are reluctant today to give them much of a chance. (Seinfeld was not an immediate hit.) Inevitably, at some point a show will "jump the shark", however, and quality will begin to suffer.

Dave Mitsky

Really, Star Trek TNG never really had a shark jump that I saw. By season seven, it was humming along nicely, balancing some real character development into its episodic stories. Until the final week of the show, they'd stopped using the holodeck every ten minutes, hadn't time travelled in a while.

On the upshot, at least it went out before the jump.