PDA

View Full Version : Happy Winter Everybody (summer in the far south)

crosscountry
2005-Dec-21, 03:10 PM
For the Northern Hemisphere, the Sun reaches its most southerly point for the entire year, 47 degrees lower than at the June Solstice. Astronomical Winter begins in the Northern Hemisphere, Summer in the Southern.

Things are looking up: the days get longer :clap;

mickal555
2005-Dec-21, 03:12 PM
It's been summer here since the 1st.....

Near south is more summery than far south... far south it isn't summer rather "not winter"...

crosscountry
2005-Dec-21, 03:15 PM
I could have just said Happy Winter but was trying to include everyone.

To me, south is Texas and Mexico. You guys are very much farther south than that.

Maksutov
2005-Dec-21, 03:20 PM
It's been summer here since the 1st.....

Near south is more summery than far south... far south it isn't summer rather "not winter"...Really? You must have a different orbit and axial inclination than the rest of us.

No wonder they call it "OZ"!

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/4879/iconbiggrin1kg.gif

Now, when is the December solstice in Australia?

mickal555
2005-Dec-21, 03:45 PM
Really? You must have a different orbit and axial inclination than the rest of us.

No wonder they call it "OZ"!

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/4879/iconbiggrin1kg.gif

Now, when is the December solstice in Australia?

No, we just define summer as starting on the 1st of the month.

hence
December solstice= December the 22nd

I could have just said Happy Winter but was trying to include everyone.

To me, south is Texas and Mexico. You guys are very much farther south than that.

Fair enough :)

Swift
2005-Dec-21, 03:57 PM
No, we just define summer as starting on the 1st of the month.

I understand what you mean. There is the astronomical start of winter or summer, and then there is the everyman start. Around here most people think of the winter months as December, January and February and summer as June, July, and August. The weather generally agrees with that opinion; this year especially, we have had a very cold December. I've had snow at my house since the last week in November and it has been above 0C only one day in the last month.

Argos
2005-Dec-21, 05:53 PM
Interesting... People here generally define summer as the day after christmas, although you can have estival weather from November through March.

Gillianren
2005-Dec-21, 07:52 PM
I get to spend today cooking. I've got half-a-dozen people coming over for dinner tonight. (Homemade chicken soup!)

crosscountry
2005-Dec-21, 09:22 PM
I just finished a pot of chicken soup. took me 10 days to eat it. That's what happens when you live alone and cook for several.

Candy
2005-Dec-22, 02:03 AM
Happy Winter. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/verschiedene/s040.gif

HenrikOlsen
2005-Dec-22, 12:49 PM
I understand what you mean. There is the astronomical start of winter or summer, and then there is the everyman start. Around here most people think of the winter months as December, January and February and summer as June, July, and August. The weather generally agrees with that opinion; this year especially, we have had a very cold December. I've had snow at my house since the last week in November and it has been above 0C only one day in the last month.
It's the same here in Denmark.
We use the traditional idea that seasons are there to tell farmers what to do and all that stuff about the sun is something thought up by some university guy who don't know anything about how the real world works. :).