PDA

View Full Version : Are you getting more or less spam than a year ago?

ToSeek
2005-Dec-21, 05:12 PM
Torrent of email spam may be subsiding (http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8497&feedId=online-news_rss20)

The torrent of unwanted email (spam) received by users may be subsiding as a result of new laws and improved filtering technologies, according to a US government report released on Tuesday.

News to me - I'm definitely getting more than I used to.

Moose
2005-Dec-21, 05:25 PM
I've been getting noticably more than usual lately, but even then I rarely get more than one or two, maybe twice a week.

LurchGS
2005-Dec-21, 05:32 PM
Lordy - I wish. On average, I get about 1500 a day - on top of which I have to filter the 3-400 real e-mails I need - and that's just what makes it past the mailserver's spam filter.

zebo-the-fat
2005-Dec-21, 05:43 PM
I think I get slightly less, my ISP blocks some and Spampal sorts out most of the rest.

Argos
2005-Dec-21, 05:48 PM
Less. The flow has fluctuated somewhat, but I get less, by 30% at least.

pumpkinpie
2005-Dec-21, 06:22 PM
Ages ago I opened a new hotmail account. My original one I used to sign up on websites and order things on the net, so that led to too much junk. Now I have that old one only for ordering things, and I get a dozen or two junk mails a day. That's less than a year ago. In my current account I get almost no junk. I only give that address out to trusted sources, so I know exactly who is writing me.

Swift
2005-Dec-21, 06:45 PM
It got better for a while, after the new law went into effect, but it is now getting worse, both on my work and my personal accounts.

Tensor
2005-Dec-21, 06:55 PM
I'm getting less, but that could be due to new filtering programs my ISP and I are using.

Dr Nigel
2005-Dec-21, 07:21 PM
A few months ago, I was getting about 200 unsolicited mails a week (>90% of my received email traffic). Recently, however, my mail server seems to have installed some spam-filtration (or black-listing) software - it has come down to about 50 a week now, which is a big improvement.

Andromeda321
2005-Dec-21, 07:32 PM
Last year I switched from my Hotmail account to a combination of school email/Gmail so the torrent subsided GREATLY. Now for some reason the stuff's starting to creep in, probably because the email addresses have been around enough for a few bots to get them, so I still get few (about 1 a day) but it's still annoying when you were used to none!

Van Rijn
2005-Dec-21, 08:51 PM
More. I'm generally very careful with my e-mail IDs, and was only getting easily filtered junk e-mail from a few of the mail order companies I purchase from. But a spammer finally managed to snag one of my IDs, and I'm definitely getting it now.

jrkeller
2005-Dec-21, 08:57 PM
Much more, especially around Christmas.

Arneb
2005-Dec-22, 01:30 AM
Less for me definitely, but only in the private mail. As for that at work... Sheesh, when are the going to see that phishing is so 2005 :sick:

mickal555
2005-Dec-22, 02:31 AM
I get about one or two every couple of days...

Which is more...

ktesibios
2005-Dec-22, 02:39 AM
My subjective (and therefore completely unscientific) impression is that checking my various emails is just about as annoying an experience as it was a year ago.

I've noticed some qualitative differences between the spams in my Hotmail account and those that come to my ISP accounts.

I've never seen a phishing email in one of my ISP accounts. but they turn up every couple of months in my Hotmail account, usually in bursts. The same seems to apply to "male enhancement" spams.

OTOH, "online pharmacy" spams tend to be pretty evenly distributed, while second mortgage, fake Rolex and penny stock scams are mostly restricted to my ISP accounts. this may reflect differences in the spam filters employed by Hotmail and my ISP.

For some reason I find these last to be the most annoying. I'm a pretty pacific person most of the time, but if someone from "Koko Petroleum" were to come within the reach of my hands the results would not be pretty.

Incidentally, I have an ISP email account which has only been used to send email twice, and the address has never been posted anywhere. That address receives just as many spams as my main ISP account. I take that as an indication that besides address-harvesting bots, spammers are now using dictionary attacks to find active email addresses for their lists.

Fortunately, the email client I use for my ISP accounts does a pretty good job of recognizing spam and routing it to the spam folder, where I can get rid of it with only two clicks.

Musashi
2005-Dec-22, 02:47 AM
I get one every couple of months.

sarongsong
2005-Dec-22, 04:11 AM
...penny stock scams...if someone from "Koko Petroleum" were to come within the reach of my hands the results would not be pretty...Bingo! I've somehow been put on the penny-stock list over the last year, to the point of 2-3 per day now, and Koko seems to be their favorite one to promote.

paulie jay
2005-Dec-22, 07:12 AM
I'm getting less spam, but then I know more now than I did a year ago.

Maksutov
2005-Dec-22, 07:56 AM
Since my primary email address is through my ISP and there are many "gates" that emails must pass through before they make it to my inbox, I tend to get almost no spam. Therefore I voted "About the same".

Argos
2005-Dec-22, 12:54 PM
A propos, a good practice would be to write your address like someone at somewhere dot com, when possible. It helps with bots.

ToSeek
2005-Dec-22, 12:56 PM
Of the 23 emails waiting for me this morning, 10 were obvious spam. This is roughly typical.

(I've had my current email address for about 10 years now, and I made the mistake of using it directly on Usenet, back before the days spam was a problem.)

mid
2005-Dec-22, 01:15 PM
I get about 1 or 2 a day slip through the spam filters, wheras it used to be none.
Still a good 100 per day that get caught in them.

HenrikOlsen
2005-Dec-22, 01:56 PM
I have extensive spam filtering so I "only" get 15-20 spam mails a day.
There's definitely more attempts at sending me spammail though they still seems to think I want the same things.

aurora
2005-Dec-22, 06:13 PM
I voted more, even though the amount getting through the spam filter is less. But the total number hitting my account is higher.

It's amazing how I get a half dozen all on the same day with the same new flavor -- even if the filter didn't catch them, it would be obvious that something was amiss when it appeared I just got 6 emails from the same "company" all with slightly different addresses.

Obviousman
2005-Dec-23, 02:58 AM
I get about 50-70 per day in two of my three ISP accounts.

It's funny - the one which became my 'public' e-mail addy now gets less than my 'private' e-mail addy.

I have a third (about 9 months old) which has only ever been given out to ONE organisation - and I receive no spam at all on that one.

Argos
2006-Jan-13, 02:28 PM
They´re saying "spam is dead" (http://technology.guardian.co.uk/online/insideit/story/0,13270,1684044,00.html).

mickal555
2006-Jan-13, 02:59 PM
Recently(past week or two) I've been getting heaps of spam... as much as 5 a day... What happened!

ToSeek
2006-Jan-13, 03:29 PM
I've gotten 28 email messages to my main account in the last 11 hours, 8 of which are spam. And if anything, that's a good ratio. At least my spam blocker at home does a good job - I'm only seeing them now because I'm accessing my account via the web.

I only have one account that gets spam because it's a very old email address that I publicized freely in the innocent days before spam. My other two don't get any spam at all, so far as I can tell.

Argos
2006-Jan-13, 03:35 PM
I got an account that´s never been used. It gets 5 msgs daily notwithstanding.

tofu
2006-Jan-13, 05:36 PM
Question: who buys stuff from spam? Are there really people who try to buy drugs or watches from links they get in email messages?? Who are these people and why don't the poke themselves in the eye when trying to brush their teeth, thus making them blind and unable to use a computer

tofu
2006-Jan-13, 05:40 PM
btw, everyone should check this out:

http://spamgourmet.com

mickal555
2006-Jan-13, 05:40 PM
:lol::lol:

Good point...

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-13, 08:00 PM
I look at spam at the server level, here's the trend I see
https://gorm.iaeste.dk/mrtg/spamfilter-year.png
Green is the 24 hour average of spammails intercepted.
I don't see anything that looks like they are slacking off.

galacsi
2006-Jan-13, 09:05 PM
A of last year it was one a week at most , now it is 3 or 4 a day , so i must do something fast.