PDA

View Full Version : Phil at 1st annual Amazing Meeting

Geo3gh
2003-Feb-13, 04:48 PM
In addition to being a regular, albeit infrequent, poster here, I am also a subscriber to Bob Carrol's SkepDic Newsletter.

This was in the latest newsletter:

Fortunately, we had some very interesting speakers that morning, including...Phil Plait, whose presentation on Planet X surpassed all expectation for information and humor. Phil is an even better speaker than writer, and he's an excellent writer.

(the whole newsletter can be read here (http://www.skepdic.com/news/newsletter21.html).)

Now while I heartily agree that Phil is an excellent writer, I feel I need proof on this "better speaker" claim. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif So Phil, any speaking tours planned?

like giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants
command me! Do not ignore my veins!
--Invader ZIM

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Geo3gh on 2003-02-13 11:48 ]</font>

kilopi
2003-Feb-13, 05:08 PM
Have you seen Charlie's pictures (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=3790&forum=2&start=22)?

Geo3gh
2003-Feb-13, 05:40 PM
I have now.

g99
2003-Feb-14, 06:34 AM
I saw Phil on tech T.V. when he was on. Not bad. The only problem was that he was not on for very long at all. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Hale_Bopp
2003-Feb-15, 12:54 AM
I have had the pleasure of spending some QT with Phil and he is an excellent speaker...I have even stolen some of his jokes for use in my presentations and classes with my students (hope you don't mind /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif )

Rob

Geo3gh
2003-Feb-17, 01:43 AM
On 2003-02-14 01:34, g99 wrote:
I saw Phil on tech T.V. when he was on. Not bad. The only problem was that he was not on for very long at all. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I've heard that in a thread or two around here, but I don't get TechTV, so I'm SOL on that front.

[sigh] I guess for now I'll just have to be satisfied with anecdotal evidence of Phil's coolness as a speaker. And here I was wanting to do a scientific study on the phenomenon. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Lisa
2003-Feb-23, 07:23 AM
On 2003-02-16 20:43, Geo3gh wrote:

On 2003-02-14 01:34, g99 wrote:

I've heard that in a thread or two around here, but I don't get TechTV, so I'm SOL on that front.

[sigh] I guess for now I'll just have to be satisfied with anecdotal evidence of Phil's coolness as a speaker. And here I was wanting to do a scientific study on the phenomenon. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Add my anecdotal evidence along with everyone else's. Phil was a very good speaker. Funny and still informative. Good thing too. Phil's turn at the podium came shortly after we'd all found out about the Comumbia. He had to face 250+ very bummed out people.

Reacher
2003-Apr-22, 01:12 PM
so, this Amazing Meeting, where is it, how much does it cost, and can anyone come along and listen?

TriangleMan
2003-Apr-22, 02:38 PM
so, this Amazing Meeting, where is it, how much does it cost, and can anyone come along and listen?

Go to www.randi.org that's the group that holds the Meeting. They're thinking of having it in Vegas next year.

The Bad Astronomer
2003-Apr-22, 10:15 PM
Read all about it (http://www.badastronomy.com/fun/amazingmeeting2003.html).