PDA

View Full Version : Jack of all

suntrack2
2005-Dec-27, 11:40 AM
there was one period in which my teacher were telling one story about "jack of all", in 1978. they said that there are many people in the world who know everything, many of them are having very few knowledge, but later they improved themselves and become master one in that subject, but they were hungry and thirsty and they started study of many subjects, anyone who mate them they could talk on their subject though their stream was different but they got succeed over telling verious complicated answers of many difficult questions. later Teacher told many students : in our classroom students are excellent one but they have to do only one thing at a time.

I think that our brain keeps dozens of subject information, many people complaints about other subjects which they found difficult one, I have one advise that they must meet with the jack of all personality so that their tension of that topic may be wipe out. jack of all people are really useful in discharging many rounds of mouth firings on different topics with the beautiful command, how it is possible for them ?

once upon a time i replied to my teacher : sir, you are saying about jack of all, so in my opinion that there must be people having "master of all" in the world, later teacher laughed and replied that i am not that master, i said that you are not master but defenetely a headmaster.
:)
let us talk on jack of all personalities.

HenrikOlsen
2005-Dec-27, 12:55 PM
I have a strong tendency to act like a jack of all trades, both here and in real life.
You don't actually have to know very much about a subject to be able to talk to people about it, even if it's their specialization.
What bugs me is people who specialize so much that they know nothing at all outside their chosen area, it gets really boring really fast to talk to that kind of person. :(

SolusLupus
2005-Dec-27, 01:07 PM
I'm somewhat of a Jack of all Knowledge... I know just a little bit about several different subjects. However, "Trades", nuh-uh... I hardly know any real physical stuff.

suntrack2
2005-Dec-27, 04:19 PM
thanks henrik and lonewulf for the replies, i know one who can cook the food doing a job and reading science novels and teaching economics in the college and discussing on ornithology, politics,painting, typing, computer, management, astronomy, medicines, children development, and interested in drama and debate.

what you will call him?

Candy
2005-Dec-27, 04:30 PM
thanks henrik and lonewulf for the replies, i know one who can cook the food doing a job and reading science novels and teaching economics in the college and discussing on ornithology, politics,painting, typing, computer, management, astronomy, medicines, children development, and interested in drama and debate.

what you will call him?
Good marriage material! :razz:

I, too, know a little about everything, and not a lot about one thing.

2005-Dec-27, 04:46 PM
what you will call him?

Polymath (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=polymath).

Candy
2005-Dec-27, 04:52 PM
Polymath (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=polymath).
But he cooks and takes care of the children, too!

Halcyon Dayz
2005-Dec-27, 06:21 PM
Renaissance man (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_man)

SolusLupus
2005-Dec-27, 08:16 PM
Ah, yeap. My mom called me a Renaissance Man, just recently.

LurchGS
2005-Dec-27, 10:11 PM
I know everything there is to know. I just choose to not tell you

ASEI
2005-Dec-27, 11:19 PM
I doubt it's possible to be a Rennaisance Man or a Jack of All Trades anymore, unless it is in terms of very superficial knowledge of all trades. Some areas, like modern medicine, or aerospace engineering require some very in depth study to be competent.

Or quantumn physics, for example. A lot of people like to talk about the implications of quantumn physics, but what they're really doing is parroting popularizations of th subject. A laymans book on the subject full of half-baked analogies is a far cry from a textbook that actually allows you to do the math, or solve a wave equation, ect. (I saw one such textbook once. It mauled my math ego) Given how muddled our analogies get when talking about the subject, I doubt anyone who can't do the math really knows whats going on anymore than a tribal shaman from a landlocked primitive civilization does when asked about the extent and shape of the earth.

LurchGS
2005-Dec-27, 11:31 PM
In general, I would agree with you... you can't know a lot about everything.. in fact, I doubt you can know a LITTLE about everything. But you can know a lot about a lot.

That doesn't make a renaissance man in my book, though. A true renaissance man not only knows a lot about a lot, but he can apply learning from one field to a problem in another field.

If he can't apply it, he's just a know-it-all

<--- can't apply a band-aid

HenrikOlsen
2005-Dec-27, 11:44 PM
<--- can apply a band-aid
Got lots of practice after working with all kinds of tools.
I attack most problems of constructing something from a philosophy of "talent and training can be replaced by tenacity".

Candy
2005-Dec-28, 03:13 AM
<--- lost a band-aid in a pizza once :o

SeanF
2005-Dec-28, 02:56 PM
<--- Found a band-aid in a pizza once.

Thanks a lot, Candy! :mad:

;)

mahesh
2005-Dec-28, 04:27 PM
Ate pizza at a band aid once, Candy!
it was yuuummy

farmerjumperdon
2005-Dec-28, 05:16 PM
I think I've listed occupations in other threads somewhere so I'll spare the details, but I have yet to meet anyone who has held as many different job types as I have. I've done at least a little of a lot of things, a lot of a few things, and enjoyed them all (except cold-call sales, the only job in which I ever "failed." Geez that was a miserable experience).

Certainly a modicum of intelligence and common sense is required to succeed at a sampling of highly varied tasks. At the top of my list though is the ability to have healthy relationships with a variety of people. There just aren't enough different kinds of things you can do alone; it's too much of a limiting factor to achieve JOAT status. If there were a JOAT subcategory such as JOAT-ALAIDHTWWP (JOAT As Long As I Don't Have To Work With People), then I guess people making that grade would get honorarable mention.

Where you come down in conversations like this is usually a matter of definition and interpretation. Do you mean literally ALL when you say all trades? Then there is no JOAT. And what exactly constitutes a JACK in any trade, and does that criteria change if you are considering many or all trades versus a single one? And what counts as a trade? Does it have to something productive? Or do things like selling Amway or Activists-for-Hire count?

don b - dispensing wisdom wherever the practicing of multiple trades is not suppressed.

Candy
2005-Dec-28, 10:20 PM
Detasseled Corn (Farm)
Washed Dishes (Restaurant)
McDonald’s (Fast Food)
Painted (Factory)
Receptionist (Loan Office)
Clark’s Gas Station (cashier)
Olan Mills (delivery driver)
Data Entry (Counseling Center)
Walden Book Store (employee)
Golf Course (19th hole)
Domino’s (driver –> Manager)
Ball State Bookstore (receptionist)
Black Jack Dealer (non-profit – bought the company then sold it)
United Airlines (Res Agent –> Senior Coordinator over Manpower Planning)

I’ve had other jobs, but there have been so many that I can’t remember them all. UA has been the first, and hopefully, last job I will ever have. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/verschiedene/k055.gif

LurchGS
2005-Dec-28, 10:27 PM
urk... lessee how many I can remember

Paperboy
detasseled corn
Dishwasher
pizza delivery
drugstore delivery
carpet/upholstery cleaner
warehouse
tire changer (cars, trucks, tractors)
general staff at student union
projectionist (48 straight hours of the first Star Wars cured me of that job)
Ambulance Driver (not EMT/paramedic - I just drove)
semi-pro race car driver
US Coast Guard (I'll count that all as one)
Deputy Sheriff
Security Guard
Self Employed (grouping a bunch here, too - like cold call sales. FJD is right - it's a *horrible* job)
Volunteer for Search and Rescue group

edit: added a job I'd forgotten

SolusLupus
2005-Dec-28, 10:29 PM
My occupations:

Professional Bum
Bum
Young Bum

Hugh Jass
2005-Dec-29, 12:53 AM
Dishwasher
Car Detailer/washer
Fudge packer (had to put it that way, I worked in a small candy shop where I boxed truffles and such for shipping)
Dishwasher (again)
Pizza Hut (driver)
Pest Control Applicator
After School Program counselor (big kid babysitter basically)
Construction Laborer
UPS package handler
Analytical technician -> Chemist -> Department Manager
Geologist.

I wasn’t going to post, you guys seem to have me beat, but I thought it was funny, the dishwasher and pizza delivery relations.

LurchGS
2005-Dec-29, 05:55 AM
we just have more life experience than y ou

SolusLupus
2005-Dec-29, 06:05 AM
I don't have any life experience at all. I haven't had a job yet, and I'm almost 21. :(

LurchGS
2005-Dec-29, 06:10 AM
I don't have any life experience at all. I haven't had a job yet, and I'm almost 21. :(

Zounds! by then I'd held 11+ jobs (obviously, some longer than others, and come concurrent with others)

SolusLupus
2005-Dec-29, 06:35 AM
What can I say? I'm lazy and spoiled.

Candy
2005-Dec-29, 06:45 AM
Fudge packer (had to put it that way, I worked in a small candy shop where I boxed truffles and such for shipping)
Well, thank you for explaining this. http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

farmerjumperdon
2005-Dec-29, 03:20 PM
My occupations:

Professional Bum
Bum
Young Bum

You can learn a lot being a bum. Definitely requires creative use of resources.

farmerjumperdon
2005-Dec-29, 03:45 PM
OK, I can't resist. A couple of the more "interesting" ones I've done:

<> Working the concessions at the horse racing venues in the Chicago area as a teenager. Nothing challenging, but a fun atmosphere. Lots of good times with good friends, and some wild stories to tell.

<> Delivering marine fish to Chicago area pet shops. Mostly high-end stuff to better shops; and what a great excuse for a 16 year-old to go screaming around the Windy City (though my 63 Comet had its limitations). Gotta get the run done before the little guys run out of O2. More good times with good friends resulting in great adventure.

<> Building and repairing railroad cars. Nothing special about the job, though I did become a Master Welder/Burner/Fitter. But the friendships and good times were something else.

<> Tending bar was quite fun, but almost derailed my college plans. You get hooked into that party scene and you could easily never leave it. Goes without saying; good times, good friends, never-ending supplies of adventure.

<> And the etc. list includes shoveling horse manure, arranging flowers (I am a lumberjack and I'm OK . . .), making and delivering pizzas, fancy restaurant work, not so fancy restaurant work, managing a restaurant, directing a call center, liquor store, radio DJ, cabinet builder, auto mechanic, dishwasher, and so on and so forth. I think I'm actually starting to forget about some of them.

By far the most rewarding though is the work I do for free. Must be why it doesn't pay - they figure the right people will come forth to do it just because it matters. That is the volunteer stuff with kids. From coaching little munchkins playing a game for the first time to spending time with troubled teens - there is nothing more rewarding (to me) than making a difference for kids.

SolusLupus
2005-Dec-29, 04:17 PM
You can learn a lot being a bum. Definitely requires creative use of resources.

Except for the fact that I haven't left my house, and rely on my mom for a cash inflow?

:P

HenrikOlsen
2005-Dec-29, 04:35 PM
That's not a bum, that's a lazy slob:)

suntrack2
2005-Dec-29, 04:43 PM
:) funtastic job you all, really very much commendable with the images of different portfolios.

Now here:
many people use rolar scating, bicycle,motorcycle, for marketing of different goods, many of them themselves carry the luggage like the luggage man,

but i have seen one couple was going on the scooter, the lady was driving the scooter pleasantly and the rear Mr. was just balancing the huge purchasing item on his head, some bags were in his arms, few were kept on his thigh and he was literally speaking on the cell phone without any hand support and was laughing at the same time, and his mrs. was talking with their dog who was in front of the scooter's carrier. I afraid by watching this show of balancing all without any jack. ! :) is it not a surprize one?

sunil

farmerjumperdon
2005-Dec-29, 07:12 PM
Except for the fact that I haven't left my house, and rely on my mom for a cash inflow?

:P

That's just satisfying you patents need to nurture you further. I'm sure when you feel they are ready you will set them free.