PDA

View Full Version : Ghost in the Shell

SkepticJ
2005-Dec-27, 11:51 AM
High time this gets its own stand alone thread, so here we go.

I first saw the second movie, Innocence, in late 2004, couldn't find the first one anywhere so I chose to do them out of order.
I enjoyed every episode of GitS:SAC on TV, didn't miss an episode in the six month, or however long it was, run of the season.
Last Spring I finally caught the first movie on one of the movie channels. Wow. Wow is what I said to the second one too, but the first I found more interesting to watch. I now own the first movie as well, yay! Now I can watch my nihilistic hard SF any time I want.
The second season of Stand Alone Complex is going really well I think, I like it much more than the first, mostly due to the better animation quality. It's not as good as that in Innocence, but it's close. Hopefully the stories will get only better, and keep me guessing until the end like last season did.
Is there a way I can buy the 1st and 2nd series without forking over $140 for each? That's, that's too much.

The Shade
2005-Dec-29, 06:06 PM
Is there a way I can buy the 1st and 2nd series without forking over $140 for each? That's, that's too much.

Unfortunately, that's pretty much how it is with Anime. It's an expensive hobby. The fan base isn't really that large (compared with TV and movies), so in order for companies to make a profit, they have to charge more for the DVDs. Try to wait for boxed sets (the collected editions usually are cheaper than individual discs), or you can even try Ebay (beware the dreaded bootleg DVDs).

Just be thankful you're not living in Japan. DVD's over there are usually around $35-40 and can have 2 or 3 episodes per discs for a TV series.

suntrack2
2006-Jan-01, 03:20 PM
i have never seen the ghost, and i never believe that there is a ghost in this world? may be the brain creates many images itself when we go in the forests, on the road,

and many other places particularly in the night, this is our brain who creates virtual images for which we feals that ghost is there, because the timidity level of the brain increases in night time and due to this such sort of live dreaming is possible and nothing more, you do not fear about this term "GHOST" nothing is there,

hence don't fear of anything related with ghosts, it is all tv serial like stories due to that our brain catch the images ever seen before in the movie or on the televison, and nothing more, hence don't worry.

sunil

tofu
2006-Jan-01, 03:53 PM
The first movie is the one with the puppet master? If so then I have that one on VHS. It's pretty good. I like the soundtrack too. But man, it's old. I bought it at Katsucon back in like 1995. I haven't bought any anime for more than five years now. I gave most of my stuff away except for the really good ones like Ghost in the Shell and Macross+

What channel is the series on? I'll keep an eye open for it.

Togusa
2006-Jan-01, 06:15 PM
The first movie is the one with the puppet master? If so then I have that one on VHS. It's pretty good. I like the soundtrack too. But man, it's old. I bought it at Katsucon back in like 1995. I once had a VHS copy of the first movie, but I traded it away when I converted my video collection to DVD five years ago. I've since purchased the Special Edition DVD, with Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 audio tracks.

I also have the second movie on DVD, but I bought that copy before the issues with its subtitles were made public. Fortunately, I was able to exchange the disc for one with corrected subtitles.

What channel is the series on? I'll keep an eye open for it. In the United States, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is shown on cable on Cartoon Network late Saturday nights at 12:30pm ET/PT as part of its Adult Swim (http://http://www.adultswim.com/shows/ghostshell/index.html) mature animation block. The show's broadcast is currently into the second season, 2nd GIG.

SkepticJ
2006-Jan-02, 03:48 AM
i have never seen the ghost, and i never believe that there is a ghost in this world? may be the brain creates many images itself when we go in the forests, on the road,

and many other places particularly in the night, this is our brain who creates virtual images for which we feals that ghost is there, because the timidity level of the brain increases in night time and due to this such sort of live dreaming is possible and nothing more, you do not fear about this term "GHOST" nothing is there,

hence don't fear of anything related with ghosts, it is all tv serial like stories due to that our brain catch the images ever seen before in the movie or on the televison, and nothing more, hence don't worry.

sunil

I had to read that about eight times to get what you were saying. I'm sorry, but your English is AWFUL. Now that I know what you said, that's not what Ghost in the Shell is about. The title is ironic, because Shirow Masamune wrote the GitS world as totally un-supernatural. "Ghost" just means your personality, a thing that as of yet(when it starts) in the setting hasn't been created synthetically. So, only humans have "ghosts", at first anyway.

SkepticJ
2006-Jan-02, 04:01 AM
Unfortunately, that's pretty much how it is with Anime. It's an expensive hobby. The fan base isn't really that large (compared with TV and movies), so in order for companies to make a profit, they have to charge more for the DVDs. Try to wait for boxed sets (the collected editions usually are cheaper than individual discs), or you can even try Ebay (beware the dreaded bootleg DVDs).

Just be thankful you're not living in Japan. DVD's over there are usually around $35-40 and can have 2 or 3 episodes per discs for a TV series.

Blue Submarine No. 6 is the worst I've seen in that regard. Each DVD holds one episode, and they're $20 dollars each. There's only four episodes, 30 min. long each. So that's $80 for two hours of series! I liked it, but no thank you to that price. I bought the entire Firefly series for $41 dollars on Friday. Anime might be more popular if they wouldn't charge so much.

Nothing keeps them from ordering cheeper DVDs intended for Europe, Canada or The States is there? All they have to do is know how to understand English, and most do. Or they could get the subtitle ones, and keep the subs off.

suntrack2
2006-Jan-02, 05:41 PM
ghost=comedy=we=laugh. :) skepticJ

erisi236
2006-Jan-07, 05:00 PM
course you can always buy your anime dvd series within the "grey" market and save 100$ of rupies. *cough*sundevildvd.com*cough*

I always buy there and it's ALWAYS good :)

SkepticJ
2006-Jan-08, 10:54 AM
course you can always buy your anime dvd series within the "grey" market and save 100$ of rupies. *cough*sundevildvd.com*cough*

I always buy there and it's ALWAYS good :)

Those are boot-legged aren't they?

Where can I get the unedited manga? Couldn't find it at Books A Million.