PDA

View Full Version : Sexiest geeks

ToSeek
2005-Dec-27, 07:17 PM
2005's 10 Sexiest Geeks (http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,69907-0.html?tw=wn_tophead_1)

Some people say the term "sexy geek" is an oxymoron. Here at Wired News, we say it's redundant. With so many accomplished and delectable nerd types to choose from, picking 10 of the sexiest geeks of 2005 was no easy task. But after much deliberation, here, in alphabetical order (don't even ask us to rank them!), are the musicians, bloggers and otherwise geek-o-licious Wired News sexiest geeks of 2005.

Candy will be aghast that Brian Cox didn't make the list. ;)

Dragon Star
2005-Dec-27, 07:18 PM
I didn't even look at the list and I know that Bill is on it.:razz:

*looks*

OMG Bill didn't make the list.....wonder why?

ToSeek
2005-Dec-27, 07:19 PM
No "Bill"s on the list, actually. Most of them I hadn't even heard of.

Swift
2005-Dec-27, 07:32 PM
Either I'm not geeky enough, the concept is too much of an oxymoron, or the link doesn't work, but when I click I get either a blank page with just a header, or a bunch of comments from other users.

Dragon Star
2005-Dec-27, 07:37 PM
Either I'm not geeky enough, the concept is too much of an oxymoron, or the link doesn't work, but when I click I get either a blank page with just a header, or a bunch of comments from other users.

Now that you say that, not working for me ither...

Nicolas
2005-Dec-27, 07:38 PM
Incompetence is even worse than I thought.

"Nicolas" and "Nick Denton" are not one and the same person! Next time do click the correct file to add to the list, thank you! :mad:

;)

ToSeek
2005-Dec-27, 07:43 PM
I get it okay. It's linked to from the Wired home page (http://www.wired.com/) - you can try it from there.

Dragon Star
2005-Dec-27, 07:49 PM
Still blank..:think:

Hey Swift, you have IE?

Nicolas
2005-Dec-27, 07:51 PM
I have IE. The only problem is that they switched "Nicolas" with "Nick Denton" here... :)

LurchGS
2005-Dec-27, 07:55 PM
works fine for me (using FireFox - IE is for those with no fear)

Tuckerfan
2005-Dec-27, 07:59 PM
Bit of a sausagefest, IMHO. A better list would have been 10 men, and 10 women (or 5 and 5). Still, it's nice to see that the judge who did the ID smackdown made it.

Nicolas
2005-Dec-27, 08:06 PM
It's 3/7. I'd hate it if it was forced to be 5/5. I'm against such forced equality. I'm also against forced inequality :).

LurchGS
2005-Dec-27, 08:10 PM
It's 3/7. I'd hate it if it was forced to be 5/5. I'm against such forced equality. I'm also against forced inequality :).

Good on you.

Though I tend to disagree with some entries (like his Honor, Judge Jones). There is no doubt in my mind that what he did was correct, it just doesn't fall anywhere near geekdom. Possibly nerdism, but not geekishness.

Nicolas
2005-Dec-27, 08:15 PM
LurchGS: geek purist :)

Tuckerfan
2005-Dec-27, 08:58 PM
Good point, but I'd think that they'd be able to find at least a couple more females who were sexy geeks. I've lost the link, but there was this gal at a university in PA who'd modded her PC so that it was also an aquarium, who was pretty smoking hot. I'd think that'd qualify, don't you? IIRC, there's at least one sexy actress or singer out there, who says she's a total computer geek, so there's that as well.

Nicolas
2005-Dec-27, 09:13 PM
If you prefer more females you are allowed to say so :D.

LurchGS
2005-Dec-27, 09:25 PM
Good point, but I'd think that they'd be able to find at least a couple more females who were sexy geeks. I've lost the link, but there was this gal at a university in PA who'd modded her PC so that it was also an aquarium, who was pretty smoking hot. I'd think that'd qualify, don't you? IIRC, there's at least one sexy actress or singer out there, who says she's a total computer geek, so there's that as well.

did it still function as a PC? We've been doing that to macs for years. And self-proclaimed geeks are like self-proclaimed ghost experts...

Moose
2005-Dec-27, 09:48 PM
You know, I take some comfort that I'm better looking than most of the guys on that list. Less successful financially, certainly, but better looking.

Tuckerfan
2005-Dec-27, 09:52 PM
did it still function as a PC? We've been doing that to macs for years. And self-proclaimed geeks are like self-proclaimed ghost experts...
Yeah, it still worked as a PC. That's what was so cool about it.

William_Thompson
2005-Dec-27, 10:03 PM
Ever hear about Marylyn Monroe asking Albert Einstein to have a baby with her? She said, “just imagine! The baby would have my looks and your brains!” to which Einstein said. “what if the baby had my looks and your brains”? It is supposed to be a true story told by a friend hers.

Tuckerfan
2005-Dec-27, 10:10 PM
Ever hear about Marylyn Monroe asking Albert Einstein to have a baby with her? She said, “just imagine! The baby would have my looks and your brains!” to which Einstein said. “what if the baby had my looks and your brains”? It is supposed to be a true story told by a friend hers.Well, Marilyn was reported to be quite intelligent by those who knew her well. (She was married to Arthur Miller, and he wasn't exactly an idiot.) Still, genetic research has shown that brains comes from the mother's side of the family, so Al may have had a point.

LurchGS
2005-Dec-27, 10:12 PM
Well, Marilyn was reported to be quite intelligent by those who knew her well. (She was married to Arthur Miller, and he wasn't exactly an idiot.) Still, genetic research has shown that brains comes from the mother's side of the family, so Al may have had a point.

that's a new one...and I'm as certain as I can be that it's not true in my family. I definately take after my father, and my boys are split

ToSeek
2005-Dec-27, 10:29 PM
Ever hear about Marylyn Monroe asking Albert Einstein to have a baby with her? She said, “just imagine! The baby would have my looks and your brains!” to which Einstein said. “what if the baby had my looks and your brains”? It is supposed to be a true story told by a friend hers.

Seems unlikely, since I've heard the same story attributed to George Bernard Shaw and Isadora Duncan.

Swift
2005-Dec-28, 03:34 AM
Seems unlikely, since I've heard the same story attributed to George Bernard Shaw and Isadora Duncan.
I told the Shaw/Duncan story recently (http://www.bautforum.com/showpost.php?p=617309&postcount=73) and even included a reference.

Dragon Star - I use IE at work, where I had the link problem. I'm home now, on AOL, used ToSeek's link to the home page, and that worked ok. The direct link worked ok in AOL too.

I didn't think much of the list. Most of those people aren't physically sexy by any definition, but some of them do sexy stuff. The only one I've heard of is Judge John Jones III (Dover trial) --- Sexy? Geek? I don't think so. Good judging, by his is not a sexy geek.

Candy
2005-Dec-28, 03:46 AM
Violet Blue
Jessa Crispin
Jack Dangers
Nick Denton
Chris Mooney
Judge John Jones III
Douglas Irving Repetto
Elyse Sewell
Wise Young
Paul Zak

OMG, this list is so off. :mad:

Dragon Star
2005-Dec-28, 03:48 AM
Violet Blue
Jessa Crispin
Jack Dangers
Nick Denton
Chris Mooney
Judge John Jones III
Douglas Irving Repetto
Elyse Sewell
Wise Young
Paul Zak

OMG, this list is so off. :mad:

Only you and about 4 other people that I know of here would know, the rest of us are clueless....:think:

Candy
2005-Dec-28, 04:09 AM
My List

Dr Steve Squyres
Dr Brian Cox
Dr Phil Plait (doesn't "market" himself)
Brian Greene
Alanis Morissette
President George W. Bush
Astronaut Ilan Ramon (deceased)
Adam Sandler (severely under rated)
Open
Open

Swift
2005-Dec-28, 04:37 AM
My List
Alanis Morissette
President George W. Bush

No matter what your tastes, in music or politics, I don't think I would call either of these geeks.

I would recommend the book Dr. Tattian's Sex Advice To All Creation: The Definitive Guide to the Evolutionary Biology of Sex (http://www.drtatiana.com/) as a sexy/geeky book and the author, Olivia Judson (http://www.drtatiana.com/author.shtml) as a sexy geek.

Candy
2005-Dec-28, 04:46 AM
No matter what your tastes, in music or politics, I don't think I would call either of these geeks.

I would recommend the book Dr. Tattian's Sex Advice To All Creation: The Definitive Guide to the Evolutionary Biology of Sex (http://www.drtatiana.com/) as a sexy/geeky book and the author, Olivia Judson (http://www.drtatiana.com/author.shtml) as a sexy geek.

Dr Tatiana's Sex Advice to All Creation explores the science of sex, considering everything from why females of so many species are so promiscuous to why sex exists at all. It is a blend of wit and rigor, a fusion of science and natural history, that will entertain, amaze, and inform.
It must be men buying this book, because the above is just so historically wrong.

Gullible Jones
2005-Dec-28, 04:53 AM
... What, no mention of Lisa Randall? You've gotta be kidding me!

HenrikOlsen
2005-Dec-28, 05:47 AM
Whoever wrote that list has a very different definition os sexy from me.
I have 12 pics of people who belong more on that list in my calendar.

space cadet
2005-Dec-28, 05:52 AM
I can't believe rivers cuomo isn't on here. Come on people! Who can can say no to the pale, scrawny bespecticled little guy in horn-rims who wrote "In the Garage?" That dork can rock!

Nothing is sexier than a geek with a guitar.

I got the dungeon master's guide
I got a 12 sided die
I got a 'lectric guitar
I write my stuipid songs
I sing these stupid words
And I love every one...

Candy
2005-Dec-28, 06:03 AM
I don't listen to much music, but Alanis just blew my mind away when I heard one of her songs. I got goosebumps, and that doesn't happen to me very often. When it does, there is a much deeper meaning.

Same goes with the President. For that matter, any President when speaking (except that one in Brazil -he's a tad bit off). This is supposed to be a current list, though. :shifty:

HenrikOlsen
2005-Dec-28, 07:28 AM
Same goes with the President. For that matter, any President when speaking (except that one in Brazil -he's a tad bit off). This is supposed to be a current list, though. :shifty:
We'll, being good speakers is why they get elected, it doesn't have much to do with geekyness.

Candy
2005-Dec-28, 07:32 AM
We'll, being good speakers is why they get elected, it doesn't have much to do with geekyness.
I think it does. Geeks can be popular, too. :razz:

Melusine
2005-Dec-28, 09:43 AM
I was just reading last week's Newsweek on the plane and they had a blurb on her in their "Who's Next in 2006" section. I agree, GJ, that she is definitely a contender for a "sexiest geek" title (her picture at the link below). She's certainly not some dowdy-looking physicist.

String theory is sexy... (Of course, I don't really understand it, which makes it all the more intriguing.) :think:

Few will be watching the results more carefully than a soft-spoken young Harvard professor named Lisa Randall, who has been making a name for herself as one of the most promising theoretical physicists of her generation.
That she teaches at a university whose president once publicly doubted that women could compete at the top levels of science interests her far less than what we might find when we begin taking apart protons at 7 trillion volts
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10510773/site/newsweek/

jrkeller
2005-Dec-28, 03:06 PM
How about Fiorella Terenzi (http://www.fiorella.com/fiorproducts.htm)?

Swift
2005-Dec-28, 03:16 PM
Dr Tatiana's Sex Advice to All Creation explores the science of sex, considering everything from why females of so many species are so promiscuous to why sex exists at all. It is a blend of wit and rigor, a fusion of science and natural history, that will entertain, amaze, and inform.
It must be men buying this book, because the above is just so historically wrong.
I wasn't sure if you were making a joke about "historically wrong", but the book is not about human sexuality, but about the rest of the natural world - things like praying mantis and sea horses.

ToSeek
2005-Dec-28, 03:16 PM

Woof! (http://www.physics.harvard.edu/images/profheadshots/randall.jpg)

(And I missed a chance to hear her talk at the Smithsonian because I procrastinated too long. :( )

LurchGS
2005-Dec-28, 09:13 PM
zounds! lordy, she's skinny. But she's gotta have a good brain. That helps

Candy
2005-Dec-28, 09:31 PM
I wasn't sure if you were making a joke about "historically wrong", but the book is not about human sexuality, but about the rest of the natural world - things like praying mantis and sea horses.
Aren't humans part of the natural world? :shifty:

LurchGS
2005-Dec-28, 09:32 PM
well, it does say 'females of so many species'.. not 'human females and females of so many other species', so there's plenty of room to leave out humans

Swift
2005-Dec-28, 10:31 PM
Aren't humans part of the natural world? :shifty:
Yes they are, but they are not discussed in this book. It really is a cool book, if you like nature-geek stuff and Olivia is a hotty.

LurchGS
2005-Dec-28, 10:31 PM
back to the list of geeks - I'd not noticed it was composed by WIRED. No wonder it's whacked.

Swift
2005-Dec-28, 10:33 PM
I was just reading last week's Newsweek on the plane and they had a blurb on her in their "Who's Next in 2006" section. I agree, GJ, that she is definitely a contender for a "sexiest geek" title (her picture at the link below). She's certainly not some dowdy-looking physicist.

String theory is sexy... (Of course, I don't really understand it, which makes it all the more intriguing.) :think:
Should sexy string theorists wear string bikinis? :think:

:naughty: :o

LurchGS
2005-Dec-28, 10:35 PM
#######################################

of course!

not that I agree 100 percent with string theory (I'm more leaning toward supergravity), but, as I've said before, just because you are wrong doesn't make you ineligible for a strink bikini

hippietrekx
2005-Dec-30, 04:50 AM
Woof! (http://www.physics.harvard.edu/images/profheadshots/randall.jpg)

I like her hair. My friend Ducky has fluffy hair which I also like...

--hipster