PDA

View Full Version : Meteor Strike on the Moon

Fraser
2005-Dec-27, 10:17 PM
SUMMARY: Have you ever wondered if meteors are raining down on the Moon? On November 7, NASA scientists used a special video camera to record a small explosion on the Moon. Travelling at a speed of 27 km/s (17 miles/s), the small meteoroid slammed into the lunar surface close to Mare Imbrium (the Sea of Rains). NASA meteor expert Bill Cooke suggests that the meteoroid was part of the Taurid meteor shower that hit Earth between late October and early November 2005.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/moon_meteoroid.html)
What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

Fr. Wayne
2005-Dec-28, 01:40 AM
I've always had a weird fascination for Comet Encke and now she has left a permanent sign in the heavens. This event is really cool. I wonder from which of the two radiants it came.

chicagoastronomer
2005-Dec-28, 07:48 AM
I think that this event is more than just a passing news story. I have read accounts where astronomers have observed impacts on the Moon, but without documentation, dismissed by skeptics. Here, they actually caught and recorded it! The Moon has always appeared dead and unchanging to us, and to me, this is extraordinary.

At a recent public Mars session at the Adler Planetarium, I was showing a woman the Martian features this past fall, when TWO very bright fireballs streaked across the Eastern sky over the lake. Ohhs and ahhs. Hail the Taurids I say!

I'm sure with more sensitive and advanced equipment in the near future, we will catch bolder sized impacts in time, and this type of phenomenon will be quite a common occurrence.

Bad news for upcoming Lunar bases tho.