PDA

View Full Version : Longest you've stayed awake?

mickal555
2005-Dec-28, 01:44 PM
Well I want to see how long I can, I'm going to aim for 50, then 80 hours.
I'm bored this holidays...

Anyway I will spend a fair amount of time BAUTing, and plan to break the record 130 posts in one day(which is probobly not acurate).

I'll start BAUTing 12:30am(GMT+10), maybe for 24hrs, I don't know.

I'll work it out later.

Doodler
2005-Dec-28, 01:52 PM
I've gone 60 hours before, but the last 4 were rough. Really bad hallucinating.

teri tait
2005-Dec-28, 02:09 PM
I would have to say the lomgest I have been awake, ironically, is when I was technically dead on my last birthday, March 15, 2005 (that's Greenich Meantime, March 15)

Moose
2005-Dec-28, 02:11 PM
About 100 hours due to being roomed in a hospital ward with a senile psychotic violent patient who spent all night screaming for nurses and shouting that the doctors were there to kill him while trying to remove the IVs and catheter*. And another two patients who had dozens of noisy guests in the room pretty much all day including the supposed rest periods.

(* I felt a great deal more pity for him once I had some sleep under me and he was no longer in a position to get all rippy-grabby around the equipment attached to me. )

The last evening, I was hallucinating oversized 2D grayscale geckos crawling about the ceiling. (I was lucid enough to know I was hallucinating, though, so the geckos didn't bother me.)

The dreams that night when I finally did get to sleep were pretty disorienting, though. I kept waking up having no clue whatsoever as to where I was. I ended up having to call a nurse at one point because I needed to see a human face.

They finally moved the senile guy to a private room, and I was (finally) given a semi-private for a while with a good roommate. All he did was snore like a tractor. Since I do too, it was a good match. :p

jrkeller
2005-Dec-28, 02:17 PM
Stayed up approximately 36 hours during the snail crawl evacuation out of Houston.

2005-Dec-28, 02:19 PM

I was on a roll at work. It was fun greeting folks each morning, me looking more and more unkempt. I still felt fine at the end, but I knew I had begun taking instant mini-naps of a minute or two by looking at the timestamps on commands to the computer. I know I was thinking fine -- the code worked great, even days later -- but I couldn't justify staying a few more hours and only really producing a few more minutes of results.

I drove home very carefully, slept 12 hours and went back at it.

Swift
2005-Dec-28, 02:30 PM
During my last year of grad school I was doing a series of experiments that had to be baby-sat and lasted about 24 hours. So I would set them up, watch them for the 24, do what I had to post-run (pre- and post- were with some help from another grad student). I would be up for about 30 hours straight. I'd go crash for a few hours, go back to the lab to do some more work for the rest of the day. The following day I would start another run. We were doing 2 or 3 of these runs a week for about a month. Great way to completely mess up your body clock.

ToSeek
2005-Dec-28, 02:39 PM
I've missed an entire night's sleep on at least two occasions, so that's on the order of 36-40 hours without sleep.

Ilya
2005-Dec-28, 02:41 PM
44 hours during a college exam week.

Hugh Jass
2005-Dec-28, 04:24 PM
I'm sure college has done a few people in. I said 48, but it may have been longer a couple times, but not my more than a couple hours. Basically do an all nighter cramming and/or writting a paper, then take the last finals and stay up all night partying. stumble home about 10 am the second morning still very intoxicated, wake up at dusk and get really confused 'cause I don't know its am or pm.

sidmel
2005-Dec-28, 06:52 PM
Yeah, college exams got me pretty bad one semester due to work, girlfiend work, girlfriend, fraturnity, eeeeeck, it's exam week!

72 hours. When I was finally done, I stood there looking at my bed and my entire body just ached. It was the fastest I ever fell asleep once my head literaly hit the pillow.

LurchGS
2005-Dec-28, 06:57 PM
at least 96 - I was onboard a ship searching for survivors from the M/V Princendam (1980, gulf of alaska, NASTY weather). It's a two man radio shack, but the other RM was off on leave, so I had to be on duty non-stop.

I don't recall any hallucinations, but toward the end I definately had tunnel vision

farmerjumperdon
2005-Dec-28, 07:17 PM
I've probably had about 2 dozen or so nights of skipped sleep, which would equate to about 35 to 40 hours. All but 1 were attributed to either partying or studying. The worst one though was THAT ONE NIGHT when I blew the disc in my neck and waited until the next day to go get some real painkillers.

planethollywood
2005-Dec-28, 09:14 PM
i easily cleared 4 days and almost 5, twice. I had two rear molars get infected and die off separately. The pain was like a volcano erupting from inside your head. I found that sipping icy cold water to numb the area was the only relief as all pain medication was useless after the first day.

it was the closest to suiside I have ever come and i can appreciate slightly what people with cronic pain have to live through.

i went through this twice, i will write more about this later.

Van Rijn
2005-Dec-28, 11:13 PM
For certain, over 32 hours once. But one time during exams, there was a two week period where I averaged about 2 hours of sleep a day with no more than 3 hours and just as often 1 hour, practically living on coffee, tea, Mountain Dew, and No-Doz.

When it was over, things were getting a bit ... strange. I didn't see any ghosts, but I probably came close. I came down with the flu, also.

Candy
2005-Dec-28, 11:51 PM
I checked 32-48 hours. I lost track of the actual hours. It's been multiple times, usually due to work schedule. Oddly, I sleep up to 14 hours after a stint without sleep.

Monique
2005-Dec-29, 12:29 AM
Perhaps 30-36 for school.

Extravoice
2005-Dec-29, 12:32 AM
The worst one though was THAT ONE NIGHT when I blew the disc in my neck and waited until the next day to go get some real painkillers.
I can sympathize. My C6/7 disk decided to spontaneously herniate the week between Christmas 2003 and New Year's day 2004. The pain was excruciating. My shoulder muscles tied-up in a knot and my arm felt like someone was repeatedly beating it with a baseball bat. I remember the x-ray technician asking me to stand still in front of the machine and my replying "I can't!". The orthopedic doctor thought I was a whiner until he realized I had lost feeling in my fingertips. Then he hurried me to the neuro-surgeon.

The only worse pain I have ever experienced was a kidney stone. That was just slightly worse, and lasted a couple of days. The neck thing went on for weeks. The slightest head motion was painful. I couldn't even read a book without it hurting.

As for how long I've stayed awake, it is just over 48 hours. I was in college and working overnight on the Fri & Sat. There was an air show I really wanted to see. I went to school Friday worked overnight Friday and Saturday, and went to the air show during the day on Saturday.

LurchGS
2005-Dec-29, 06:08 AM
The only worse pain I have ever experienced was a kidney stone. That was just slightly worse, and lasted a couple of days. The neck thing went on for weeks. The slightest head motion was painful. I couldn't even read a book without it hurting.

owie - I've had a kidney stone... makes me sympathize with women giving birth. and I learned an important lesson: Morphine is your friend. The hospital was a bunch of yobs, though. my wife drove me there (about 20 minutes from the house, but felt like forever) with the kids - very very young. And they never said a word to her.. after sitting around for 4 hours (until 02:00 or so), she finally lost enough patience (pun intended) to demand to know what was going on.. the staff looked surprised and said "oh he's fine. he's sleeping. We'll probably send him home in the morning". She was a bit peeved, and a letter to the administrator was written

That was 15 years ago, or so. Never had another problem. yet. Please oh please not again

(if we're also including our non-longest times, all through college we used to play D&D from about 17:00 friday to 07:00 Monday. non stop)

SolusLupus
2005-Dec-29, 06:59 AM
(if we're also including our non-longest times, all through college we used to play D&D from about 17:00 friday to 07:00 Monday. non stop)

I miss those days that I did that.

mugaliens
2005-Dec-29, 07:58 AM
finals in college

Van Rijn
2005-Dec-29, 08:56 AM
owie - I've had a kidney stone... makes me sympathize with women giving birth. and I learned an important lesson: Morphine is your friend.

I had them twice, and they did keep me awake more than a day both times. I was stupid enough to try to tough it out, but the second time I simply couldn't manage it, and it was worse than the first time. By the time I got to the hospital, I had huge bruises on my legs because repeatedly slamming my fists into my legs felt better than the stone. I definitely was going into shock from the pain and I'm still slightly amazed I stayed conscious. In order to cancel the pain, they needed to give me enough Demerol to make my vision go wonky. I literally couldn't see straight. BTW, I read a book on stones written by a woman, and according to her, stones are worse.

That definitely was the most painful thing I've ever felt, but I did have an extended period (months) with something nearly as painful, but that isn't really appropriate for this thread, so ...

Maksutov
2005-Dec-29, 12:18 PM
None of mine was due to boredom or choice (see the OP). They fall into two categories: pre-chronic migraines and post.

"Pre" was during the 1980s when we had a crisis at work and due to my knowledge of some major systems, I had to be there essentially from beginning to end of the cause, corrective action, and implementation process. This started on xmas eve and I didn't see my son again until a few days later. Phone calls subbed for dad in the meantime. The product involved was what makes a submarine go. Had to be around ~70 hours total duration.

"Post" was after the migraines became chronic. It's not unusual to go 2-3 or more days without sleep due to the pain, and then finally the body says "Enough already!" and shuts down for a while.

Not sleeping isn't something I'd do for recreation.

farmerjumperdon
2005-Dec-29, 03:13 PM
I can sympathize. My C6/7 disk decided to spontaneously herniate the week between Christmas 2003 and New Year's day 2004. The pain was excruciating. My shoulder muscles tied-up in a knot and my arm felt like someone was repeatedly beating it with a baseball bat. I remember the x-ray technician asking me to stand still in front of the machine and my replying "I can't!". The orthopedic doctor thought I was a whiner until he realized I had lost feeling in my fingertips. Then he hurried me to the neuro-surgeon.

Sounds like a carbon copy of my experience. I have had a long history of back problems, and thought the growing discomfort was just another one of my spinal anomalies; but when the vertabrae actually collapsed onto the nerve it was all over. The entire upper left quadrant of my body was suddenly in a permanent charliehorse. When they asked me to rate the pain and I said 10 I detected a little eye-rolling. But after one quick look at the x-ray it was down the hall for an immediate scan. No 2-week wait for an appointment that day. They took me down and put me next in line for the machine. A couple folks in the waiting area seemed miffed.

One look at the scan and I got a scrip for a buffett of painkillers and an open referral to a surgeon, with the advice that I go NOW. Apparently my chronic problems had been camoflauging the neck symptoms and I was on the verge of doing serious and permanent damage to my cord and nerve roots. All fixed now though, and yes, morphine was my very good friend, but just for 1 day.

hippietrekx
2005-Dec-30, 04:41 AM
52 hours, 12 minutes.

It was a timed dare. The participants were all who sit at the lunch table ( four guys, three girls). We each put in $10 to the pool, and stayed at Ducky's (a participant) house for three days this summer until we all fell asleep. We set our alarms for the same time and met at his house later in day one. The winner got the $70. Although, we had to pay Ducky's parents $20 to sleep in shifts so we could be constatnly chaparoned due to the male/female issue as well as to be our judges. So the winner really got $50. With the help of caffeinated drinks, stiff-backed chairs, and videogames we all satyed up past 27 hours.

Then Andrew dropped. And then Brittani at 32. Dalton and Katie both fell asleep around 43 hours. Ducky was disqualified at 49. This left Winters and myself to battle out the last hours. By this time, everyone except Ducky was awake again (with Andrew and Brittani already having two sleep cycles). I was playing Tertris (I never knew the levels went past 30!) and Winters was listening to music. I paused the game to tell Katie to get me more Pepsi so I could stay awake and discovered everyone gathered around Winters. He was sleeping. At 52 hours, seven minutes I had been awarded the $50. At 52 hours, 12 minutes I fell asleep.

I don't think I would ever do that again. For $50 anyway. Now, for $150... maybe...

--hipster

Philip A
2005-Dec-30, 06:44 AM
Lots. I rarely sleep more than 4 hrs a night, and don't really think anything of missing cycles. I will be going to sleep at some point today though - I've been on night shifts last 4 days, don't sleep in daylight, so there's 100+ already. I've got a bit disorientated about time, though I've never really understood it anyway.

Possibly the most tired I have been was with the army - a 6 week exercise where I got less than 3 hrs in any night. That was dangerously trippy at the end, just in time for the live fire climax to the whole thing....

pumpkinpie
2005-Dec-30, 01:39 PM
I don't think I would ever do that again. For $50 anyway. Now, for $150... maybe...

--hipster

I'd maybe do it if *Everyone* put in $150! :lol:

Actually, no I wouldn't. I treasure my sleep! I checked the 24+ option, I think. I've had to have EEGs a few times in my life, and the best readings come when you're sleep deprived. So I would have to try to stay up all night the night before, giving me a better chance to fall asleep during the half-hour test. Staying up was hard, and I never liked it!

At the end of college I went on some medication that made me require a regular 6-8 hours of sleep *every* night. That's tough to do in college, but I think it also saved me. I knew I would never survive an "all-nighter" to finish a paper or study for a test, so I scheduled my studies accordingly. I believe I was healthier than most of my friends, because I didn't have such an irregular sleep cycle.

I'm off that medication, but my body's trained to require a good night's sleep. I wouldn't have it any other way!! :)

galacsi
2005-Dec-30, 01:53 PM
48 two several times and i don't want to do it again !

Each time working like a madman to finish an IT application in time or reloading a crashed mainframe.

I am too old for this business ! I need a full day to recover now.

ngc3314
2005-Dec-30, 02:17 PM
I managed to avoid going much past 24 all thorugh grad school, but hit 36 just lately - not only was it for my work, but it was on Bilbo and Frodo's birthday (which I share). A couple of years ago, I was grabbing and examining data being taken by a collaborator at Gemini-N on Mauna Kea. The time difference was such that it did't get dark there until midnight here. So I started the day at 0600, delivered the kids to school, got work done, went home in the evening, back to work for that nice Internet2 bandwidth, kept going until 0800, went home to clean up, and back in time for an Astronomy 101 lecture at about 0945. Nice to know I can still do it at this age...

One trick I've found, that seems to reliably sucker in a relevant part of my brain, is that if I shower, shave, and otherwise repeat the morning cleanup ritual, it does feel somewhat as if I have justgotten up from sleep. Works after long flights too. Yes, it's embarrassing to be taken in by something so simple even when I do it to myself...

Chuck
2005-Dec-30, 02:35 PM
In the early eighties I stayed late after work for a poker game. By the time it was over it was time to go back to work and since I was already there I just stayed and zombied through the day.

mickal555
2006-Jan-01, 07:04 PM
Ducky was disqualified at 49.

How come?

LurchGS
2006-Jan-01, 07:18 PM
One trick I've found, that seems to reliably sucker in a relevant part of my brain, is that if I shower, shave, and otherwise repeat the morning cleanup ritual, it does feel somewhat as if I have justgotten up from sleep. Works after long flights too. Yes, it's embarrassing to be taken in by something so simple even when I do it to myself...

Shave? Shave? I haven't shaved in years. Shaving is an evil conspiracy on the part of Wilkinson and Gillette.

mickal555
2006-Jan-01, 07:22 PM

I've been doing this... doesn't work on me(apart from eating breakfast), I found doing somthing like going to the movies or stargazing refreshes you...

hippietrekx
2006-Jan-01, 07:43 PM
How come?

Um... he fell asleep. It was funny really. He and I were playing a head-to-head racing videogame, and all of a sudden his car goes flying down a cliff. I look over and his head was sitting on the buttons of his controller. When we woke him up he had three little circles above his right eyebrow. :D

--hipster

mickal555
2006-Jan-01, 08:09 PM
oh- I thought he like broke some rules or something...

Doh'

I'm on 42hrs atm and feelin fine :D :D

hippietrekx
2006-Jan-02, 02:03 AM
oh- I thought he like broke some rules or something...

Doh'

I'm on 42hrs atm and feelin fine :D :D

You'll probably beat my time. Whenever the seven of us are all together (or even two of us!) we get all hyper and do weird stuff like upsidedown biking and reach-the-roof-by-climbing-on-eachother. The latter activity resulted in a bloody nose for me and some bruises for the rest of us...

I don't know where we get our ideas... just don't ask.

--hippie

RBG
2006-Jan-02, 08:30 AM
Many an all nighter: Army/Navy exercises, deadlines. A couple 2 night, no-sleeps. And this from a guy who's only had a total of 10 cups of coffee in his life.

Best remembered was nearly two days and nights of exhaustion after premature birth of a daughter. (Uh, for the record, my wife was the one that actually gave birth.) When I finally hit the pillow I was completely amazed - and delighted - to find I had this hallucinogenic-like ability to conjure up, in my mind, any mechanical object I wished. I visualized an ET spaceship just for fun, and I swear, it was as good as though it were sitting right in front of me. I could rotate it at will and the detail was stunning. Pretty weird?

RBG

jkmccrann
2006-Jan-03, 12:46 PM
For me, too long. I regularly stay awake for 24hours+, particularly around weekends, but I know I shouldn't. As a resource to get one through the night a Red Bull is amazingly effective in stretching out the early morning hours to get the most out of them.

Pleiades
2006-Jan-03, 01:51 PM
in my youth i'd stay up almost the entire weekend, but nowadays its work that keeps me up. Lately with all the rain here, in Northern California I've been putting in very long hours, so being up for 24 hours isn't that unusual.

mickal555
2006-Jan-03, 04:06 PM
70.5 hours... (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=36478)

Halcyon Dayz
2006-Jan-03, 06:19 PM
O, Mickal... http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/muede/b030.gif

Andromeda321
2006-Jan-04, 12:41 AM
A bit late, but I feel obliged to mention that I checked the 24-36 hour category as I value my sleep. It's worth mentioning that the longest I ever went was at astronomy camp where the first night we usually stay up until 3am West Coast Time and many kids have to get up really early on the East Coast to catch flights so most years there's what's called a "24 hour club" for everyone horribly dying by the end who's being laughed at by the California kids.
I could probably do more but my problem at a location like astronomy camp is we were essentially sitting around outside in the dark. And it starts getting HARD to keep your eyes open after awhile under such circumstances!

mickal555
2006-Jan-04, 02:40 AM
Astronomy can also be quite draining...
When at my computer or watching T.V I can easilly stay up all night, when stargazing it's harder(I have done it though). When at a camp it just about impossable...