PDA

View Full Version : i'll add mine to the mix, my first astrophotograph!

Undone
2005-Dec-29, 01:12 AM
Hi everyone, Ive been subscribing to the RSS feed for a little while now and figured I'd check out the boards. My girlfriend got me the adapters I needed to hook my Nikon D70s up to my LX-90 uhtc for christmas, and last night was the first night it was decently clear out.

Since Las Vegas has so much freakin light pollution it's hard to see any good DSO's, so I settled for the beautiful Orion Nebula~

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/mons00n/gonweb.jpg
ISO 400 30sec exposure with the camera at prime focus

I need to work on getting the scope focused, but it turned out better than I expected.

Candy
2005-Dec-29, 01:27 AM
Very nice for your first time.

slotdrag
2005-Dec-29, 03:24 AM
I agree very nice

Ahmad.ra
2005-Dec-29, 07:09 AM
Very good work for first time.
But if only you work it in RegiStax.
Thanks & Good Luck.

J. P. Morgan
2005-Dec-29, 03:38 PM
That is a darn good M-42 first effort. Some nice detail there. Is this the raw image or have you processed it in something like Photoshop?

JP

ToSeek
2005-Dec-29, 04:06 PM
Very nice!

SeanF
2005-Dec-29, 04:31 PM
Very nice, Undone.

Hi everyone, Ive been subscribing to the RSS feed for a little while now and figured I'd check out the boards. My girlfriend got me the adapters I needed to hook my Nikon D70s up to my LX-90 uhtc for christmas, and last night was the first night it was decently clear out.
My wife got me the adapters I need to hook up my Canon Powershot S-1 to my Celestron 4 for Christmas, but we haven't had any clear skies since! :mad:

Undone
2005-Dec-30, 03:25 AM
That is a darn good M-42 first effort. Some nice detail there. Is this the raw image or have you processed it in something like Photoshop?

JP

i took it in RAW format, i only altered the exposure, brightness, contrast and shadows. And of course cropping it. I dont know what else i could do to it? ha

J. P. Morgan
2005-Dec-30, 07:12 PM
Send me the original image ( minerjp@comcast.net) and let me run it through Photoshop 7 using Jerry Lodriguss' techniques. I think there is a bit more detail that can be brought out.

JP

g.tarsoudis@freemail.gr
2005-Dec-30, 11:00 PM
For your first image its very nice, clear skys!!!

George Tarsoudis

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-01, 03:12 AM
Wow, seeing all these great images makes me want to do it also, but living right by Ashland it is just too bright of a city to see half the sky, and I can't see the other half because of trees at my house.:( I just need to wait to move from here I guess.)

Happy New Years all!:D

mickal555
2006-Jan-02, 12:43 PM
Hey, thats pretty nice, I love the colour!

paul f. campbell
2006-Jan-02, 07:22 PM
Hi Undone. Welcome to the forum. Your photo is very good as is, but J.P. is right about photoshop. I loaded your photo from the forum and cleaned it up. There is a whole lot more detail and color to be seen, also Get or make a Hartman mask this will greatly help you to obtain a perfect focus

ShevillWMathers
2006-Jan-03, 06:39 AM
Great shot for your first attempt, you must have been very pleased. Imagine trying to get the same image in 30 seconds with film in the old days?

Keep at it, focussing is one of the hardest things to get spot on, however, if you do a 'Google' search on 'Hartmann Mask' this very simple technique will help you with making focusing so much easier. Basically a cardboard disc which covers the front of your telescope with two reasonable sized holes on opposite sides of the disc, say 30 mm, telescope. You will get two stars which gradually merge into one star when focus is spot on.

You might like to try using a free program called 'Noiseware' it will remove a lot of the 'grainy look' Google for 'Noiseware community edition and give it a try. There are lots you can do with your image yet.

Best for 2006

Shevill Mathers - Southern Cross Observatory in warm and sunny Tasmania.

Undone
2006-Jan-03, 07:56 AM
thanks for the advice on the Hartmann Mask guys~ that's now on my to-do list before going out again.

what techniques does everyone use to clean their images up in photoshop?>

Candy
2006-Jan-03, 07:59 AM
Send me the original image ( minerjp@comcast.net) and let me run it through Photoshop 7 using Jerry Lodriguss' techniques. I think there is a bit more detail that can be brought out.

JP
Use this for growth... I bet he tells you what he does afterwards. :)

Titana
2006-Jan-03, 05:46 PM
Yes, indeed a very very nice pic...;)

Titana.