PDA

View Full Version : Phil's "favourite" film is on UK Channel 5 this Sunday

Sticks
2005-Dec-29, 02:22 PM
Note that Favourite is in quotation marks

Yes Channel 5 here in the UK is showing Armageddon (http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/movies/armageddon.html) at 20:00 this Sunday.

You have been so warned.

Sticks
2005-Dec-29, 02:24 PM
I just noticed that Favourite is spelled incorrectly in the title thread :doh:, if any friendly moderator is out there can they fix that spelling please.

montebianco
2005-Dec-29, 02:28 PM
Note that Favourite is in quotation marks

Yes Channel 5 here in the UK is showing Armageddon (http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/movies/armageddon.html) at 20:00 this Sunday.

You have been so warned.

Ah. When I saw the thread title, I thought maybe you meant A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Moon or something like that... :D

ToSeek
2005-Dec-29, 04:58 PM
I just noticed that Favourite is spelled incorrectly in the title thread :doh:, if any friendly moderator is out there can they fix that spelling please.

Glad to be of service....

(Note that I left the English-style spelling intact. ;) )

Jakenorrish
2005-Dec-30, 12:52 PM
Altogether now......

'I don't wanna close my eyes....... I don't wanna fall asleep 'cause I miss you baby..... and I don't wanna miss a thing!'

I'll get my coat.....! ;)

Gillianren
2005-Dec-30, 10:17 PM
And yet I feel personally obligated to watch at least a little bit of it if I happen to come across it on TV. (Stupid cousin's kid, all bein' in bad movies. Oh, well. At least he was adorable in Dudley Do-Right.)

mickal555
2006-Jan-01, 06:16 PM
Ah. When I saw the thread title, I thought maybe you meant A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Moon or something like that... :D

I thought you meant an actuall favorate like contact or 2001...
:lol:

frenat
2006-Jan-01, 09:10 PM
Hey i noticed that it was on sale for on $7.49 at Circuit City this week too.

Sticks
2006-Jan-01, 11:08 PM
Had nothing better to do so watched this flick. Is there a site that looks at NEO's and the latest research into dealing with them?

novaderrik
2006-Jan-02, 01:49 AM
what do you need to know?
if a giant Texas sized chunk of solid iron is tumbling toward the earth, all you gotta do is take ap air of slightly modified shuttles up there, drill a kilometer or so below the surface, and detonate a nuke to get it to split neatly in half and go neatly around the earth.
it don't get no more realer than that..

Hale_Bopp
2006-Jan-02, 05:25 AM
I was pretty legendary at the school I was teaching at for my opionions of this flick. I would always spend a day on the bad science in it and that was never enough time (usually the day before winter break since the students wouldn't pay much attention to things I tried to teach, but they seemed to pay attention to this...even on that day!)

They would sometimes tease me saying that it was their favorite movie with the best science they had seen.

Rob

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-02, 07:39 AM
what do you need to know?
if a giant Texas sized chunk of solid iron is tumbling toward the earth, all you gotta do is take ap air of slightly modified shuttles up there, drill a kilometer or so below the surface, and detonate a nuke to get it to split neatly in half and go neatly around the earth.
it don't get no more realer than that..

Are you being sarcastic in this post? I can't tell.

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-02, 12:25 PM
The way I see something like this actually working is if the reason for drilling so far is that when the nuke is exploded, the rock above the explosion becomes reaction mass for a trajectory adjust.
They discovered it late so they need a large deflection and therefore lots of reaction mass, therefore the need for deep drilling.

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-02, 07:45 PM
The way I see something like this actually working is if the reason for drilling so far is that when the nuke is exploded, the rock above the explosion becomes reaction mass for a trajectory adjust.
They discovered it late so they need a large deflection and therefore lots of reaction mass, therefore the need for deep drilling.

It wasn't even "deep" drilling, though. I mean, the asteroid was the size of texas, and they drilled, how deep? On an orange, that would be only a few millimeters into it.

frenat
2006-Jan-02, 08:05 PM
I thought 'the size of Texas' was an exaggeration. Did they mention a more accurate size elsewhere in the movie?

mickal555
2006-Jan-02, 08:32 PM
They did say something about "all like on earth being wiped out"...

I'm not sure though as the movie is a supressed traumatic memory.