PDA

View Full Version : Compelled to Buy a New Computer

coberst
2005-Dec-29, 10:12 PM
Compelled to buy a new computer

I bought my computer from Dell in 1998 with, of course, Windows 98 software. I have recently been invaded by a commercial enterprise that has decided to share my computer. This enterprise uses my computer to show me wonderful commercials advertising everything imaginable. When this enterprise takes over my machine I have no recourse than to wait patiently or turn power off.

I have been advised that there is nothing I can do about this because no one bothers to create for Windows 98 an up to date spy-ware or anti-virus software that will keep my computer clean. My only recourse is to buy another computer with a software operating system for which there exists suitable anti-virus software to keep it clean.

I am very suspicious that this whole thing is being executed by computer manufacturers or by Microsoft so that all of us with older machines are compelled to buy new machines. I headed for the shopping mall and now have a new computer with XP software to keep the hoodlums from taking over my machine. At least until a new operating system is introduced and they decide that my machine is again obsolete.

Who said we control our own destiny? I guess that is why we allow ourselves to be called consumers rather than citizens. This is another side of ‘planned obsolescence’.

I am also hearing funny sounding clicks on my phone.

ToSeek
2005-Dec-29, 10:24 PM
I see two problems here:

- Most consumers do update their computers every few years, so there's little motivation to support the ones who don't.

- Microsoft's lousy security in their operating systems.

Nicolas
2005-Dec-29, 10:27 PM
I think your suspicion is unjustified. I've been running Win95 (!!) PC's on internet with no antispyware program and only a freeware virusscan, and I did not have problems.

Moreover, I'm very sure there are new virusscanneers working on '98 (from 89 SE onwards in any case). If you had formatted your PC and installed a good virusscanner you would have been safe I think.

Other points: I have no problems whatsoever with my MS loaded PC's while I do visit "dangerous" websites and download a lot. MS antispyware works perfectly here. MS still supports win '98 as you can still download the updates for that OS from their site. NOt a lot and not the newest security updates and the like, but if they'd continuously update every little issue, we would still be working with Windows 1, right? :). Again, if you want security I'm sure there are antispyware, virusscanners and firewalls working under 98 (SE).

Doodler
2005-Dec-29, 10:49 PM
You could always go with Firefox or Opera.

coberst
2005-Dec-30, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the info. My ISP finally told me that my only practical solution was get a new machine.

Nicolas
2005-Dec-30, 11:45 AM
Quitters! ;)

planethollywood
2005-Dec-30, 11:54 AM
you could always go down the free linux track and rebirth your old PC.

Moose
2005-Dec-30, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the info. My ISP finally told me that my only practical solution was get a new machine.

For the record, your ISP is full of bovine fecal matter. To say that your machine is unfixable is exactly like claiming you need to buy a new car whenever you get a flat.

The clicky-pops have nothing to do with your computer. Your phone wiring has an intermittent short somewhere. It needs to be looked at by your telco. Get them to send a technician. (This will cost about 50 bucks for the callout, but the fix should be fairly simple.)

If you are using windows 98 and not 98se, you should consider seeing if you can get SE. It's much easier to work with and/or secure. And yes, it can be secured with a few easy sensible steps. It's less actively vulnerable than XP, truth be told.

So, your first step is to back up all your data. When you are done that, reformat and reinstall windows. That'll clear up your "unsolvable" spyware problem.

Download and install the following pieces of software:

Zone Alarm
Ad-Aware
AVG
Firefox and the Adblock extension

These are all free applications for home use, and are all generally considered as good or better than most of the subscription-based boxed-junk you get (*cough* Norton bad *cough*)

Install these and you won't even need to patch windows any. I never had to, and have never experienced any problems whatsoever.

Or, you could just install and run Ad-Aware and be done with it.

Maksutov
2005-Dec-30, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the info. My ISP finally told me that my only practical solution was get a new machine.Does this mean you won't be able to post for while?

mickal555
2005-Dec-30, 01:15 PM
Spybot and antivir guard(is an antivirus) are good programs too(but don't use more than one antivirus...)

It's 'tea timer' is a resourse hog though...

HenrikOlsen
2005-Dec-30, 02:20 PM
Spybot and antivir guard(is an antivirus) are good programs too(but don't use more than one antivirus...)
I'd modify that to "don't use more than one memoryresident antivirus program", having multiple antivirus programs for scanning files can be a GoodThing(tm).

sidmel
2005-Dec-30, 03:28 PM
If you do decide to get a new computer, I've bought my last two off e-Bay auctions. My latest was a Dell PIII w/ a 1Gig processor and 40Gig hard drive. I got it at a great price, shipping was reasonble and it's been a supurb computer. Hmmm, come to think of it, my pretty much my entire computer room is by e-Bay.

Maksutov
2005-Dec-30, 04:15 PM
Does A New Computer Compel?

Many are confronted with the decision to stay with their old computer or get a new one. This presents a series of moral imperatives.

The new computer may provide one with upgraded service, but at what cost? Should humanity throw the achievements of the past so quickly on the scrap pile?

I find that those over 40 tend to treasure the relics of the past and upgrade them, thereby enhancing their scholarly endeavors during their September years. The uneducated, hopeless youngsters under 40, however, tend to chuck their obsolete boxes for whatever promises the corporations throw their way.

Thus it can be derived, without doubt, that the old will upgrade, whereas the young will replace.

Now what is the meaning of this as it applies to our society? I of course know the answer. But due to my inability to express things clearly and to extemporize on things in general, there will be no answer here. However that will not keep me from going on and on about things in general and specific things of which are no concern to anyone, except me.

Therefore, I will continue to make a statement and then not provide any substantiating evidence for it. For it is obvious that 'twas brillig and the slimey toves, did gyre and gymbal in the wabe. All mimsy were the borogoves and the mome raths outgrabe.

Meanwhile, many are confronted with the decision to stay with their old computer or get a new one. This presents a series of moral imperatives.

The new computer may provide one with upgraded service, but at what cost? Should humanity throw the achievements of the past so quickly on the scrap pile?

I find that those over 40 tend to treasure the relics of the past and upgrade them, thereby enhancing their scholarly endeavors during their September years. The uneducated, hopeless youngsters under 40, however, tend to chuck their obsolete boxes for whatever promises the corporations throw their way.

Thus it can be derived, without doubt, that the old will upgrade, whereas the young will replace.

Now what is the meaning of this as it applies to our society? I of course know the answer. But due to my inability to express things clearly and to extemporize on things in general, there will be no answer here. However that will not keep me from going on and on about things in general and specific things of which are no concern to anyone, except me.

Therefore, I will continue to make a statement and then not provide any substantiating evidence for it. For it is obvious that 'twas brillig and the slimey toves, did gyre and gymbal in the wabe. All mimsy were the borogoves and the mome raths outgrabe.

Likewise, many are confronted with the decision to stay with their old computer or get a new one. This presents a series of moral imperatives.

Ad perpetuum mobile...

coberst
2005-Dec-30, 09:15 PM
Thanks for all the good info. I have already bought the new computer. My ISP told me that if I would spend a lot of money and was willing to deal with things when they turned up I could get by. I want a computer to act like my car. I am willing to fill it up but beyond that I do not want to be bothered. I had adware and deleted all objects that was mentioned all to no avail. The thief began to harass me in many ways. I enjoyed throwing the computer down the stairs into the basement.

Thanks for all the good advise. Now I can get back to writing my essays that so many have asked me about.

LurchGS
2005-Dec-31, 02:35 AM
Moose was correct - who the heck is your ISP. With advice like that, it's time to stage a anti-ISP campaign. That's more than negligent, that's criminal as far as I am concerned (as a successful ISP for 11 years, my company/customer service personel had better NOT give that kind of ** advice) the first step is always to back up data and reformat the hard drive..
If that doesn't work - replace the hard drive.

if THAT doesn't work, your machine was toast to begin with - and you are out less than $100 bux for a drive you can put in the new machine.

The only reasons to change to a new machine is if you want to move to new technology, you want a significantly faster processor, or (it sometimes happens, but rarely) the machine actually dies

Nicolas
2006-Jan-03, 11:20 AM
Mickal555: I think I don't have Tea Timer on. What does it do? I have internet scanning and realtime file scanning. I always used Antivir (name of a free anitvirus program) on Win95, Win98SE and WinXP because it took up little resources. Well, the newest version eats 18MB RAM IIRC, but anyway :).

mickal555
2006-Jan-03, 12:18 PM
tea timer is a thing from spybot- it looks for changes to the registry...

mid
2006-Jan-03, 01:58 PM
I want a computer to act like my car. I am willing to fill it up but beyond that I do not want to be bothered.

Sadly, with that attitude you'll probably be infected again in no time. Educating yourself with the information about the best way to avoid infection is the only long-term solution.

A lesson there, irony fans...

farmerjumperdon
2006-Jan-03, 02:26 PM
I just replaced my kids PC. It was about 7 years old and is used mostly to surf the web and play their game and learning CD's. For my money, replacement was the way to go. I got a brand new eMachines with all the standard goodies (except monitor) for $150 ($350 on sale at Comp USA minus $200 in rebates). At that price, if you don't fix your own, they are not worth the time and money to repair.

Metricyard
2006-Jan-03, 03:13 PM
I just replaced my kids PC. It was about 7 years old and is used mostly to surf the web and play their game and learning CD's. For my money, replacement was the way to go. I got a brand new eMachines with all the standard goodies (except monitor) for $150 ($350 on sale at Comp USA minus $200 in rebates). At that price, if you don't fix your own, they are not worth the time and money to repair.

That's one of the reasons I closed down my storefront. There's just no way to compete when the computer(or just about anything else) starts to reach commodity status.

The nail in the coffin happened when I had people walk into my store and literally just drop computers (Dells, HP's Sonys, etc.) that were less then a year old on the floor and tell me they had too many problems with them and were going to buy a new one. Not even an attmept to fix them. Most of the problems were inexpensive fixes. Great for me, because I'd just find the bad part and resell the system or just take the parts.

Plus, in Massachusetts, you have to pay a fee to dispose of your computer. The persons didn't want to pay to have their computers disposed of, so just drop it off at the local computer store (which happened to be me).

While I agree that computers are being forced into early obsolescence, it makes sense to buy a new one instead of trying to reserect an old one, and as the OP has mentioned, his/her computer is 8 years old. Any type of upgrade path would be extremely expensive, if you can find parts at all.

The computers that can be had for a couple hundred bucks with everything embedded(Video,audio,lan) into the motherboard will dwarf anything built that long ago.

mid
2006-Jan-03, 03:40 PM
From a starting point of that age, I definitely agree that you're better starting afresh than trying to upgrade it to a modern standard. However, I thought the aim was to get a machine that was no longer infected with assorted nefarious malware, rather than upgrading to something faster.

Metricyard
2006-Jan-03, 04:08 PM
From a starting point of that age, I definitely agree that you're better starting afresh than trying to upgrade it to a modern standard. However, I thought the aim was to get a machine that was no longer infected with assorted nefarious malware, rather than upgrading to something faster.

I do see that alot. Mostly the younger generation that download anything and everything, and when the computer gets riddled with viruses and ad/spy/maulware, they scream that the computer sucks and they need a new one. Lucky for me, the parents want to try and fix the problems, not toss out a new nachine because the kids don't want to bother with even the basics of security.

And some of these viruses/spyware are real nasty. I just had one machine that changed all .exe extensions to .lnk extensions. I did manage to fix the extensions , but the damage to the software was too extensive. All you can do at that point is recover the files and start over.

Could I have fixed it? Sure, but for the amount I would have to charge, the customer would have been better off buyng a new computer.

As far as the OP is conserned, he might as well upgrade. Win98, while not a bad OS, is obselete. I'm supprised that so many people still support it. But that is changing, and I give it another year before the software vendors drop all support for it.

Of course, XP has it's share of problems, but it's alot more stable than anything MS has come out with. As far as the virus/spyware problem, until Microsoft stops embedding everything into the OS, you'll always have the potential for infection. Placing everything into the OS is not the way to run a secure OS.

There are ways to slow the virus/adware problems. Just using another browser will cure 90 percent of this problem. I can't stand using Explorer anymore. It's nice to be able to surf the web without a hundred popups every 10 minutes. Even using a pop-up blocker in explorer doesn't work anymore or not as well.

Nicolas
2006-Jan-03, 05:53 PM
Hello Mr cliché!

I hear equally many stories of "the older" sceaming "oh my printer is broken, we need a new one" (you can replace printer by any part of the computer) after which the young whizz kid reinstalls everything and "the elder" can't believe the amazing reincarnation they just witnessed.

I use IE6 and the only popup blocker I have is the one in the Google toolbar. I get ZERO (null 0 niente niks nada) pop ups. ANd no, my ISP does not have a good firewall.