PDA

View Full Version : Phil's Review on "2001" ?

vettemama65
2005-Dec-29, 10:15 PM
Has Phil ever reviewed 2001: A Space Odyssey? I just finished watching the movie and wondered how good or bad the science fared.

I did a search on it, but only found some references to the movie in regards to other flicks.

Thanks.
Linda

ToSeek
2005-Dec-29, 10:50 PM
It's not on his list. (http://64.207.212.193/bad/movies/index.html#list)

vettemama65
2005-Dec-29, 11:24 PM
Thanks, ToSeek.
Believe me, I definitely checked there first.
Wonder why he hasn't done it.

HenrikOlsen
2005-Dec-30, 02:53 AM
I'd guess it's because it has less bad astrology than almost every other movie, Sci-Fi or not, so it's not a good movie to educate people from the mistakes in it.

Maksutov
2005-Dec-30, 05:30 AM
I'd guess it's because it has less bad astrology than almost every other movie, Sci-Fi or not, so it's not a good movie to educate people from the mistakes in it.There's astrology in 2001? I guess that's how the "mystical" alignment of the Sun, Jupiter, its moons, and the monolith might be interpreted, but it wasn't overtly identified as such.

Candy
2005-Dec-30, 06:42 AM
Oh, Maksutov. :lol:

HenrikOlsen
2005-Dec-30, 02:45 PM
:doh:
Should teach me not to post at 3:53 AM.

Halcyon Dayz
2005-Dec-30, 02:55 PM
Here is a thread (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=4250&highlight=space+odyssey+2001) where we discuss BA in 2001.

Launch window
2006-Jan-03, 01:29 AM
Has Phil ever reviewed 2001: A Space Odyssey?

It a great film, Phil has got some ver good films on his list

I'd also like to see him review,

Alien/Aliens Alien is a seminal movie in the history of horror/sci-fi. It's also notable for being the screen debut of Sigourney Weaver, who leads a first-rate ensemble cast In Aliens Ellen Ripley is convinced to return to the planet where her alien was discovered, long since colonized and brutalized by the xenomorphs.

Outland : The new marshal (Connery), assigned to Jupiter on the Io station, struggles to discover why all these working men are suddenly taking their lives. He discovers that the mine manager (Boyle), in a bid to increase production, is introducing powerful narcotics which increase work and production but ultimately render the workers psychotic and suicidal

Gattaca stars Uma Thurman and Jude Law, showing a desire of a regular guy to travel to Saturn/Titan but the future belongs to the genetic upper class, Gattaca succeeds quite well at making us feel like this could really happen it is a clever and mesmerizing thriller.

SkepticJ
2006-Jan-03, 01:47 AM
I'd like to see a review of Flight of the Navigator and The Last Starfighter.

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-03, 04:10 AM
I'd like to see areview of "Arrival".

jscotti
2006-Jan-04, 10:30 AM
I'd guess it's because it has less bad astrology than almost every other movie, Sci-Fi or not, so it's not a good movie to educate people from the mistakes in it.

"bad astrology" - now that's redundancy....:shifty:

Jim.

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-06, 03:13 PM
Yes, I made a mistake.
It's already been commented on several times.

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-06, 09:06 PM
Yes, I made a mistake.

Alright, alright. We'll leave ya alone.

YOU SAID ASTROLOGY! Neener neener! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! *points* Astrology-sayer! Nyah!

Okay, it's out of my system now.

Candy
2006-Jan-07, 12:13 AM
Yes, I made a mistake.
It gets easier with time. I should know. :o

Vaelroth
2006-Jan-11, 01:47 AM
I'd like to see a review on Event Horizon. That would likely be a fun one to see bashed to pieces by Phil. I mean, a black hole in the middle of a space ship? Tell me how that thing can not be sucked into the black hole and retain its structural stability!

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-11, 04:44 PM
I liked Event Horizon. It was deliciously demonic.

But yeah, it's physics made NO sense.

Vaelroth
2006-Jan-11, 04:56 PM
Oh, I loved the movie too. Great concept, and if we COULD find a way to power a ship with a black hole without the sideeffects of the crew going nutso, I'd say it would be worth every cent of engineering that was put into it.