PDA

View Full Version : 12 billion years = just 1 year ................

cable
2003-Feb-14, 07:08 PM
let's reduce the scale of the history of the universe, since BB, from 12 billion years to just 1 year.
100 years = .25 s. a man life ca. 1/10 s.

if our civilization goes for another 10 000 years. it's just 30 s .....
100 000 years represent 5 minutes ....

more( french but easy to understand ):

http://www.dstu.univ-montp2.fr/GRAAL/perso/magnan/chronos.html

Zap
2003-Feb-14, 08:30 PM
I've read some interesting stuff on this subject. If the universe's lifetime was condensed into an Earth day, Earth would be born almost at 11 PM. The first humans would not arrive until 17 seconds until midnight.

Think about this in an alien-encounter-possibility view. Just 17 seconds. MANY MANY MANY alien civializations could have flourished and died out before humans even came into existence. Of course, no one is really sure how long civializations last, but still...we've probably missed out on quite a good number of alien societies that lived long time ago. And don't even get me talking on how big this universe is (ok my point: its gonna be hard to encounter an alien culture).

logicboy
2003-Feb-14, 08:45 PM
Unless those Aliens are still around and spread throughout the universe just like a virus, they could be right next door.

Donnie B.
2003-Feb-14, 09:05 PM
On 2003-02-14 15:30, Zap wrote:
I've read some interesting stuff on this subject. If the universe's lifetime was condensed into an Earth day, Earth would be born almost at 11 PM. The first humans would not arrive until 17 seconds until midnight.

Actually, Zap, your time scale is off a bit.

The current best number for the age of the universe is 13.7by. The Earth formed about 4.8by ago. That's about 3:30PM on your time scale.

Now, what would 11PM correspond to? I make that about 570my ago... which is just about the time of the Cambrian explosion, when complex life first appears in the fossil record. Before that, basically you have algae.

So, Earth forms around midafternoon, very simple life appears almost immediately and stays basically simple until 11:00PM. Then, bang! The ancestors of all the later forms of life show up. Humans are barely here at all!

traztx
2003-Feb-14, 09:27 PM
On 2003-02-14 16:05, Donnie B. wrote:
So, Earth forms around midafternoon, very simple life appears almost immediately and stays basically simple until 11:00PM. Then, bang! The ancestors of all the later forms of life show up. Humans are barely here at all!

I wonder if our descendants will be so advanced that they put us in the same category as the pond scum. Actually, some of us here today might put us in that category /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

RafaelAustin
2003-Feb-14, 10:59 PM
I always think that's one of the things the Drake Equation doesn't deal with adequately, or even just talking about the chance of finding other intelligent life. I like to think of it as a christmas tree with 1000 blinking lights, but each only blinks once for a fraction of a second. What are the chances that two will blink near each other at the same time?

I wonder if our descendants will create some sort of beacon before we're done? Just a signal to say that we were here.