PDA

View Full Version : Zombie Movies

tofu
2005-Dec-30, 03:45 PM
Does anybody else here like Zombie movies?

I'm not a big fan of horror movies per se, but lately I've really started to like the subgenre that involves zombies and I'm talking specifically about the new version of Dawn of the Dead and the British flick, 28 Days Later. The reason I like them, I think, is that I can suspend my disbelief more for zombies than I can for supernatural stuff.

It seems to me (and this is why I post this message) that what is portrayed in those films is just barely within the realm of possibility. They both deal with a contagion, either a virus or a bacteria, that alters behavior, and makes people violent. Such things exist, they're called Lyssaviruses. Rabies is a well known example. Of course the movies take considerable license in depicting the speed of infection, but other than that I've actually started to think that they are reasonable depictions of the panic and civil collapse that would follow from a very severe outbreak of some new disease.

So what do you think? Do you think there is any accuracy at all in these movies?

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2005-Dec-30, 04:21 PM
....zombies....mmmmmm....zombies

Doodler
2005-Dec-30, 08:04 PM
Meh, no thanks...I may have an attitude when I post here, but I've got very little tolerance for graphic violence.

Oh, I've been able to help out in hospitals with familiy members staying there with various illnesses, I've dealt with just about every bodily fluid you can imagine at some point. I can even handle looking at baby pictures of my neice before the surgery that put her intestines inside her abdomen (she had a birth defect that formed them outside of her body). I don't lose it at the sight of blood when I'm helping someone who's injured.

But I remember the last Dead movie I saw (Day of the Dead), left a 17 year old me waking up in a cold sweat for over three months afterwards with horrifying nightmares. Even seeing some of the previews for the current remake of Dawn of the Dead leave me in shivers for a couple hours.

I can't explain it for the life of me, but zombies creep me out in the worst ways.

tofu
2005-Dec-30, 08:53 PM
I can't explain it for the life of me, but zombies creep me out in the worst ways.

Yeah. I don't like being scared either. I think it's just the geek in me, or maybe the sci-fi fan in me that likes to think about what could happen. And like I said, I know that the transmission rates in these movies are exaggerated (and hey, it was even exaggerated in Outbreak) but other than that, I just find it interesting to speculate about what would happen to civilization if some bad disease hit us.

I guess the point of this thread was just to see if anybody else felt the same way.

Gillianren
2005-Dec-30, 10:13 PM
All I know is that Terry Pratchett has made the exact same joke about zombies in two books--according to certain traditions, zombies aren't actually the dead; they're living people who've been fed a certain fish part and a certain rare root. This has given way to the "zombie fish and chips" joke twice. Also to speculation on both occasions as to how one determines such a thing.

Charly
2005-Dec-31, 12:55 AM
I think they are popular movies becausethey are one of only a few to give a decent depitcion of a post-apocalytic future.

Land of the Dead was quite good in this aspect.

I also quite like the remake of Dawn, although the graphicness was quite tame.

I think watching "The Thing" when I was about 10 steeled me to graphic gore, and this is still the only movie I ever have nightmares about (I am nearly 30 now). I think its concept over gore which is more scary anyway. Zombies dont really do it for me at that level.

Charly
2005-Dec-31, 02:06 AM
Just thought. I was going to start a new thread, but that would mean 2 zombie/firefly threads, so this is as good a place as any.

In one episode of Firefly, a Reaver surviver turns into a Reaver. Mal mentioned that this is common. We now know it is a virus of some kind. Does thats mean the virus can be transmitted? Could one or more of Fireflys crew be infected?

Enzp
2005-Dec-31, 04:58 AM
Sorry, I don't find them scary, just ludicrous.

PhantomWolf
2005-Dec-31, 07:05 AM
My problem with Dawn of the Dead is the speed of the spread. I think that in a real situation it would have been locked down a lot faster, those carrying it being isolated faster. It only takes the heroes a short time to figure out the situation, yet no one else did and was able to quarentine the victims stopping the spread? The second problem is that it was able to travel the world so quickly. Such a thing would have had to have spontaneously erupted in many continents and islands all at the same time because there would be no way it could travel with such a short incubation period.

Halcyon Dayz
2005-Dec-31, 10:30 AM
Think biological weapon.
The Aliens are coming!!! :D

R.A.F.
2005-Dec-31, 11:45 AM
I think watching "The Thing" when I was about 10 steeled me to graphic gore...

"The Thing", was an amazing movie.

Question for tofu...have you seen "Shaun of the dead"?

tofu
2005-Dec-31, 01:29 PM
have you seen "Shaun of the dead"?

Yeah it was pretty funny. I tend to like British comedy.

Yoshua
2005-Dec-31, 04:31 PM
Just thought. I was going to start a new thread, but that would mean 2 zombie/firefly threads, so this is as good a place as any.

In one episode of Firefly, a Reaver surviver turns into a Reaver. Mal mentioned that this is common. We now know it is a virus of some kind. Does thats mean the virus can be transmitted? Could one or more of Fireflys crew be infected?

Comment on the bottom. Contains spoilers for Serenity so if you have somehow not yet seen it, you are warned.

Well in that episode it's basiclly said that being forced to watch the horrors the reavers committed caused him to become one himself. The original reavers became like they did due to some chemical the Alliance used on Miranda to pacify the colonists there. But that was Mal's opinion, while a great leader, I am not sure he is neccessarily correct about what happened. Could be the Reavers keep a supply of the gas (I know Reavers are totally insane, but they still know how to operate, maintain and modify complex equipment). They'd perhaps expose some folks to it, kill off anyone who didn't become a reaver or recruit those who did. Just my thoughts.

Charly
2005-Dec-31, 05:01 PM
..... They'd perhaps expose some folks to it, kill off anyone who didn't become a reaver or recruit those who did. Just my thoughts.

Perhaps is because people dont normallylive long enough.

This guy hid, and was exposed.

Perhaps this sort of thing happened before and Mal drew the wrong conclusion.

Vermonter
2005-Dec-31, 05:03 PM
I didn't really like 28 Days Later, not because of the gore factor, but of something else. They weren't zombies in the classical sense, but more like humans with mental problems. It was "the rage" that caused the problems in 28 Days Later. But yeah, it spread waaaaaay too fast. Same thing with the new Dawn of the Dead. The infection spreads really fast for no reason, and doesn't stop. You'd figure that the folks in charge would be able to contain it in at least some respect.

Jakenorrish
2005-Dec-31, 05:08 PM
I love the Romero flicks (Night of the living dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead and Land of the Dead, though Land of the Dead wasn't a patch on the earlier three - even so it was still very good.) The thing to remember when watching them is the social comentary he makes (like the consumerist society lampooned so superbly in the shopping mall in 'Dawn') and remember that the Zombies are not the villains.

In the films, its quite obvious that by working as a team, the surviving humans can overcome the Zombies, but the human instincts of jealousy, greed and ego take over and lead to their demise, not the Zombies bloodlust. The zombies are just meant to be a very graphic representation of the problems that the human race is facing in our future.

'Night' was a groundbreaking film, in that it featured a black man and a woman as the leading characters and none of the main cast survived. Its ending is a brilliant comment on the sixties and the struggle of equal rights back then. Day of the Dead is the grimmest, and probably the most disturbing, but the 'meddling with nature' message in it certainly hits you with quite some force.

I've not seen all of the remake of 'Dawn' the part I saw looked like a very fast paced action movie, not including the satire of Romero's work. The original couldn't possibly be bettered, as it is a masterpiece, but Shaun of the Dead was an excellent and funny tribute, the beginning where it played about thirty seconds of 'Dawn's music was a nice touch. In fact the great man liked it so much that he gave the co-stars of 'Shaun' cameos in his own 'Land'.

Chip
2005-Dec-31, 08:07 PM
Does anybody else here like Zombie movies?...I'm not a big fan but can recommend the greatest of all zombie movies: "I Walked With a Zombie". Produced by Val Lewton and directed by Jacques Tourneur, (who also created the original "Cat People", "Curse of the Demon" and "Leopard Man"; all classics.)

Don't let the "funny" title put you off. Like other Lewton/Tourneur films its big on weird atmosphere and spooky, creepy qualities. A real classic.

On the actual funny side, "Ghostbreakers" which starred Bob Hope actually had some zombie stuff in it too.

PhantomWolf
2006-Jan-01, 07:28 AM
While nowhere near the quality of the classics of Zomiedom, one thing I do think the Resident Evil movies got right was the spread and confinment factor of the Zombie disease.

Maksutov
2006-Jan-01, 01:09 PM
I've watched a number of John Tavolta films and have come to the conclusion that I don't like zombie movies.

Doodler
2006-Jan-01, 08:50 PM
I've watched a number of John Tavolta films and have come to the conclusion that I don't like zombie movies.

Thank you, the Coke flowing into my sinuses cleared them up nicely. Much appreciated. :p

N C More
2006-Jan-01, 09:11 PM

I dunno, I find that Disco Zombie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Saturday_Night_Fever_Poster.jpg) movies can be a lot of fun...in a Saturday Night of the Living Dead (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Night_of_the_Living_Dead.jpg) kinda way, that is! http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/ekelig/n025.gif

Gemini
2006-Jan-01, 09:35 PM
Army of Darkness

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-01, 10:14 PM
All three Evil Dead are good.

Paul Beardsley
2006-Jan-02, 09:36 AM
A year or two back we had a fun discussion here following the release of the Dawn remake - which included "What would you do in that situation?" ideas. It was decided that we'd wear denim or some similar material that is hard to bite through, and we'd find a pharmacy and see if antibiotics could stop the spread of the disease in bite victims. (Well, it beats chopping someone's arm off!)

I think every Dead film has added something to the mythos, and I've enjoyed them all - except Land, which I haven't seen yet. The only film I couldn't watch all the way through is the sequel to the first spoof, Return of the Living Dead 2!

Jakenorrish
2006-Jan-02, 03:48 PM
I think every Dead film has added something to the mythos, and I've enjoyed them all - except Land, which I haven't seen yet. The only film I couldn't watch all the way through is the sequel to the first spoof, Return of the Living Dead 2!

I saw return of the living dead and didn't think much of it. Shaun of the Dead was a better spoof / homage in my humble opinion.

The Evil Dead series are excellent. A real rollercoaster ride. As far as the 'Dawn' remake, I think there are certain films that should be left well alone. The Texas Chainsaw remake was absolutely pitiful!

Paul Beardsley
2006-Jan-02, 09:58 PM
I saw return of the living dead and didn't think much of it.
Fair dos... but I did like the idea of Night of the Living Dead movie being based on actual events, particularly because the "actual events" were a lot less dramatic than the film itself (i.e. a few corpses jigging about but not causing any actual danger).

There were other rather clever ideas, including the half dog coming back to life, and the wonderful dialogue when a medic examines the victims of the reanimating gas.

Medic (aside to other characters): "The patients appear to be in advanced stages of rigor mortis."

Victim (overhearing): "Are you saying we're dead?"

Medic: "Let's not jump to conclusions."

As far as the 'Dawn' remake, I think there are certain films that should be left well alone.
I am glad they did not leave this one alone!

The Texas Chainsaw remake was absolutely pitiful!
I haven't seen it, and I have no plans to. However, the trailer is of interest because it features a remixed version of the Tim Buckley hit, "Song to the Siren".

Doodler
2006-Jan-02, 10:04 PM
A year or two back we had a fun discussion here following the release of the Dawn remake - which included "What would you do in that situation?" ideas. It was decided that we'd wear denim or some similar material that is hard to bite through, and we'd find a pharmacy and see if antibiotics could stop the spread of the disease in bite victims. (Well, it beats chopping someone's arm off!)

Duct tape body armor. Two layers, flexible, tough enough to give you a split second to respond when teeth make contact.

Dave Mitsky
2006-Jan-05, 08:38 AM
In "Night of the Living Dead" there was no "zombie virus". Dead humans being reanimated, sometimes in states of major decompostion, and then functioning in any manner is not even remotely possible to my way of thinking. That doesn't mean that zombies flicks don't make for a good horror movie genre, however.

Dave Mitsky

Lianachan
2006-Jan-05, 09:46 AM
I find it hard to be scared of something you can leave miles behind simply by slightly increasing your stride.

I suppose the relentlessness might come into play, but still......

I do like some zombie films, though. Werewolf ones are my favourite monstery horrors!

PhantomWolf
2006-Jan-05, 01:17 PM
I find it hard to be scared of something you can leave miles behind simply by slightly increasing your stride.

I suppose the relentlessness might come into play, but still......

I do like some zombie films, though. Werewolf ones are my favourite monstery horrors!
You obviously haven't see the new "Dawn". The Zombies in that, run!!!!!

Lianachan
2006-Jan-05, 01:51 PM
You obviously haven't see the new "Dawn". The Zombies in that, run!!!!!

Run, you say?

:think:

Maybe I'll look that one up after all. Cheers!

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-06, 03:27 PM
For those Zombie fans there is, have a look here (http://www.okcupid.com/tests/take?testid=5349989821747660792) and see how you would do.
There's no registration, but it needs javascript enabled for the final page.

PhantomWolf
2006-Jan-06, 04:34 PM
I'm an Offical Survivor with 78%. ;)

Doodler
2006-Jan-06, 10:05 PM
77%, I'll just need extra boxers and a few air sickness bags along with the ammo and SMG. :p

frenat
2006-Jan-06, 10:45 PM
88% Armed and Dangerous

ToSeek
2006-Jan-06, 11:23 PM
85%, but I lied a lot.

PhantomWolf
2006-Jan-07, 02:55 AM
So who would be willing to rescue the three saps on the rooftop surrounded by lots of zombies?

Doodler
2006-Jan-08, 03:56 PM
So who would be willing to rescue the three saps on the rooftop surrounded by lots of zombies?

In complete contrariness to my usual cold nature, I voted to go in guns blazing. Hey, I'm an SOB, I don't deny, but I wouldn't wish going out like that on anyone.

Paul Beardsley
2006-Jan-08, 04:28 PM
I scored 53%, but as the thing gave no indication WHY, I found it a bit unsatisfying. For instance, I chose to arm everybody. Did I score low because that meant somebody would do something stupid with their gun? I also chose to save the people from the roof when there were only a few zombies around. Did I score low because a load more zombies were attracted by the noise of the shooting? And I chose a baseball bat near the end because I felt a machete or a garden fork would be difficult to remove from the zombies I attacked. Was this choice a reason why I scored low? Or were all these things wise decisions, and I failed on something else?

I know it's just a bit of frivolity, but it does seem a bit pointless to put some thought into filling in a form, only to be told, "You scored 53%," and nothing more. It might as well be a random number generator!

Also, it wasn't really clear which scenario we were dealing with. If it was the original Night/Dawn zombies, I'd probably rescue the people on the roof even if there were about 30 zombies in the street, and I was armed with a crowbar and a .38. But if it was the remake Dawn zombies, I doubt I'd get out of my tank if there were more than three of 'em!

suntrack2
2006-Jan-08, 04:37 PM
what is the definition of zombie? is it a african word ?

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-08, 04:40 PM
what is the definition of zombie? is it a african word ?
It was originally a West Indian concept (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie) but has become known outside as well.

In complete contrariness to my usual cold nature, I voted to go in guns blazing. Hey, I'm an SOB, I don't deny, but I wouldn't wish going out like that on anyone.
So did I, from a calculation that I'd lose at least one but if I didn't lose more than two I'd come out of it with more people than I started with.

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-08, 04:46 PM
This reminds me, anyone ever see a movie called "Re-Animator"? One of the most comical movies I have ever seen. My stomach was killing me from laughing by the time it was over.

folkhemmet
2006-Jan-08, 05:03 PM
Zombie movies have indeed developed into a significant subgenre since George Romero's Dead series first appeared. 28 Days Later was a good one. The original Dawn of the Dead left a strong impression on me, unlike some other horror films, because it is was more totalizing. The zombie "plague" was so widespread-- almost nowhere was safe from the undead hordes whereas in other horror films the gruesome events are usually more localized.

It is hard to say how realistic the zombies are. They remind me that as biotechnology continues to advance at such a rapid pace the intentional creation or unintentional release of an ultra-deadly pathogen may take place sooner than we think. These zombie movies give us a preview of what such a biological holocaust may look like-- even though probably it wouldn't take that form.

What would you do if some quirk of nature or some diabolical act of human ingenuity caused a Night of the Living Dead-type scenario to occur?

Where would the safest places be? If you weren't already there, then how would you get to the safe locations?

As for the roof-top question. I would do my best to save those people, especially if they were family, but not if there was no way to do so. Why would I give myself over to the ranks of the dead?

Paul Beardsley
2006-Jan-08, 06:19 PM
Responding mainly to folkhemmet's observations, I think another strengths of the films is that it was clear that the characters knew as well as we know that the dead just don't come back to life... but they have, and the only thing you can do is deal with it. You can't stand there saying, "This is impossible. Even if a virus or something did infect a body, it would never be able to coordinate its muscles to enable it to move like that etc etc." Or perhaps that's what most of the first victims did!

One of the things that comes across in the original movies (but which does not apply to the Dawn remake) is that the zombies on their own are not that much of a threat - unless you actually cuddle one (as the Puerto Rican woman does, thinking it is her still-living son), you can probably deal with it fairly easily. But collectively, they are unstoppable. Sure, you can outrun them - but what are you running into?

Another appealing aspect is that we never know quite how the horror begins. In both versions of Night of the Living Dead, the horror was almost certainly underway while the brother and sister are driving to the cemetery - it just hasn't reached them yet. IIRC, there's something on the radio about it - so whatever you do, always listen to newsflashes!

In the remake of Dawn, there are tantalysing hints about how it started - a patient in a hospital having a brainscan after being bitten on the hand in a barroom brawl, IIRC. We never see the patient, and we don't know if the fight was with an actual zombie - or what happened to the zombie if it was one. Once again the news hints at unexplained violence happening elsewhere while the protagonists are still happily going about their lives - it just hasn't reached them yet. Just think of the ordinary things you could be doing while it's going on a few miles away!

Doodler
2006-Jan-08, 07:58 PM
I scored 53%, but as the thing gave no indication WHY, I found it a bit unsatisfying. For instance, I chose to arm everybody. Did I score low because that meant somebody would do something stupid with their gun? I also chose to save the people from the roof when there were only a few zombies around. Did I score low because a load more zombies were attracted by the noise of the shooting? And I chose a baseball bat near the end because I felt a machete or a garden fork would be difficult to remove from the zombies I attacked. Was this choice a reason why I scored low? Or were all these things wise decisions, and I failed on something else?

I know it's just a bit of frivolity, but it does seem a bit pointless to put some thought into filling in a form, only to be told, "You scored 53%," and nothing more. It might as well be a random number generator!

Also, it wasn't really clear which scenario we were dealing with. If it was the original Night/Dawn zombies, I'd probably rescue the people on the roof even if there were about 30 zombies in the street, and I was armed with a crowbar and a .38. But if it was the remake Dawn zombies, I doubt I'd get out of my tank if there were more than three of 'em!

Well, lets compare a few notes, I only remember some of the questions of the cuff.

I know where a weapons dealer is in this area.
I am familiar with how to use pistols and assault rifles (I've used an M-16 before), as well as Springfield bolt action rifles.
I chose heavy clothes.
I chose light body armor. (Oh for titanium chainmail sharkdiving suits!)
I chose all of the above for weapon characteristics (rate of fire, stopping power and penetration).
I chose canned food.
I chose to rescue and arm the other survivors.
I chose to rescue survivors on the roof.
I would trust my closest friend with my life.
I chose the pick up truck.
I chose to investigate the roadblock after putting rounds in the heads of the unmoving bodies.
I would not hesitate to off someone who survived a bite immediately.
I grabbed the energy bars and caffeinated stuff from the convenience store while fuelling up.
While waiting for a rescue, I chose the machete. (EXCALIBRE!!!!!!!:p)

That's all that comes to mind.

PhantomWolf
2006-Jan-09, 08:08 AM
Well I chose the heavy armour, I figured that if I was driving a pickup, the weight wouldn't worry me as much. I grabbed the first set of survivors and armed them, but left the others to their own devices. Killing the zombies would be a waste of ammo, arming them and leaving them again wastes ammo and weapons. Sorry, call me mean, but they'll have to look after themselves.

Dave Mitsky
2006-Jan-09, 08:42 AM
This reminds me, anyone ever see a movie called "Re-Animator"? One of the most comical movies I have ever seen. My stomach was killing me from laughing by the time it was over.

Although it strayed quite a bit from the original Lovecraft story, "Re-Animator" is a minor classic. The sequel wasn't nearly as good but was still entertaining, if that's the right word for it.

http://www.houseofhorrors.com/re-animator.htm

Dave Mitsky

Lianachan
2006-Jan-09, 09:44 AM
Have any zombies in films ever displayed enough intelligence to operate machinery? Can they make a boat go? Do they ever swim? Because I'd retreat to any of the hundreds of deserted islands there are around here. Most of them have ruins on them, which can be made habitable again with work, and I'd pick one that had at least one fresh water spring and could sustain agriculture. It might be a little iron age, but I could live out my natural life there. Easily defendable, and sustainable.

PhantomWolf
2006-Jan-09, 09:55 AM
You really need to watch the new Dawn. ;)

Lianachan
2006-Jan-09, 10:18 AM
You really need to watch the new Dawn. ;)
That's true, but remember I live in the middle of nowhere. I could probably gather my family, weapons and supplies, comandeer a boat and sail it to Hiort (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Kilda%2C_Scotland) without encountering much (if any) zombie resistance. You need people to make zombies!

Jakenorrish
2006-Jan-09, 10:46 AM
Although it strayed quite a bit from the original Lovecraft story, "Re-Animator" is a minor classic. The sequel wasn't nearly as good but was still entertaining, if that's the right word for it.

http://www.houseofhorrors.com/re-animator.htm

Dave Mitsky

Re-animator was brilliant. Funny, gory and very entertaining!

suntrack2
2006-Jan-09, 01:44 PM
thanks for the information on zombie.movie. but such zombie has not yet came through the alien point of view. no zombie in the alien movies uptil?

GDwarf
2006-Jan-09, 11:05 PM
thanks for the information on zombie.movie. but such zombie has not yet came through the alien point of view. no zombie in the alien movies uptil?
If you're saying that there aren't zombies in alien Sci-Fi movies I can think of at least one example of that. That would be the arguably worst movie ever made, Plan 9 from outer space (What plans 1-8 are we never find out.) There is one scene where a prop gravestone falls down, no one bothers to pick it up, or re shoot the scene. The best part is why the aliens decide to invade us, it's because humanity has created a bomb that explodes in sunlight (I don't see why that is an issue, either.)

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-10, 12:31 AM
Re-animator was brilliant. Funny, gory and very entertaining!

Shew, I was beginning to believe that I was the only one other then Dave to have seen it, I thought it was halarious....And that guard out in the hall...*snickers*

tofu
2006-Jan-10, 01:06 AM
You can't stand there saying, "This is impossible. Even if a virus or something did infect a body, it would never be able to coordinate its muscles to enable it to move like that etc etc."

yeah, a virus couldn't "take control" but it seems reasonable to me that a virus could destroy the higher functions of the brain, and leave just the brain stem, just enough to keep you alive. You would, as they say in Resident Evil, little more than an animal following your most base instincts. There are also pathogens in the real world that destroy the brain and affect behavior. What about rabies? It makes the victim turn violent.

Of course, one thing that is difficult to figure out is how the zombies recognize other zombies and why they don't attack them as well.

Then of course, we might theorize that an alien intellegence could design such a virus. It'd be a great way to take over a planet. Many years ago there was a great game called Ascendancy. One of the alien races was The Minions, they were microscopic robots, sort of a hive mind. When they invaded a planet, they just rained down from the sky, but nobody could see them. They would establish "colonies" inside everyone's head, replacing a person's brain cells with Minion robots. Their invasions always succeeded. They were very nasty.

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Jan-10, 02:01 AM
Of course, one thing that is difficult to figure out is how the zombies recognize other zombies and why they don't attack them as well.

Why bother with that? I think three zombies ripping a fourth one apart for food would be mighty frightening indeed.

Vaelroth
2006-Jan-10, 02:32 AM
87%

I've handled a firearm.
I know where a shop is.
Suburbia
Semi-Auto rifles
Stopping power, clip capacity, and RoF
Viral Infection
Half my friends with guns
Strap explosives to my friend.
Better weapons and ammo
Gotta get a pickup.
Canned goods and water
Very heavy and bite resistant
Full riot gear, don't need the chicken plate
Stock up on lights
Save the first group with few zombies, arm them and bring them.
radios galore!
take everything possible from the gas station
Clean out the roadblock totally. police radios are a must.
Leave the next group, too many zombies.
Machete. It won't get stuck like a pitchfork and its got some mean stopping power.

suntrack2
2006-Jan-10, 11:45 AM
is zombie dance difficult one?

tofu
2006-Jan-10, 01:22 PM
is zombie dance difficult one?

finding a partner that doesn't bite can be hard.

(but then, some people like that sort of thing (not that there's anything wrong with that (no, nothing at all) ) )

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-10, 02:21 PM
Have any zombies in films ever displayed enough intelligence to operate machinery? Can they make a boat go? Do they ever swim? Because I'd retreat to any of the hundreds of deserted islands there are around here. Most of them have ruins on them, which can be made habitable again with work, and I'd pick one that had at least one fresh water spring and could sustain agriculture. It might be a little iron age, but I could live out my natural life there. Easily defendable, and sustainable.
They just walk on the bottom until they get to the island, no need for machinery or boats.

suntrack2
2006-Jan-10, 04:56 PM
means Henrik are they magicians?(zombies).

sunil

Grey
2006-Jan-10, 05:55 PM
This (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?p=362744#post362744) post seemed relevant. :)

Lianachan
2006-Jan-10, 06:11 PM
They just walk on the bottom until they get to the island, no need for machinery or boats.

Well, that particular island is miles from any land. I don't see how they'd ever know I was there.... Of course, I'd need to contend with the inhabitants of the existing old cemeteries, but that shouldn't be a problem.

That's my plan, and I'm sticking to it! Come the day the zombies appear, you'll wish you were there with me :-)

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-11, 04:48 AM
I live in Denmark, we have plenty of islands of our own, probably easier to farm too:).

suntrack2
2006-Jan-14, 04:27 PM
are there any zombie special songs and can you tell me some wordings of the songs? i think "rege" is also a different type of songs?(i am doubtful about the spelling "rege". and whether the zombie movies are full of songs or no song is there normally seen?

Halcyon Dayz
2006-Jan-14, 09:15 PM
Unlike Bollywood films western horror-movies are very, very rarely musicals.
I can only think of The Rocky Horror Picture Show (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073629/) and Little Shop of Horrors. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091419/).

And there is the Michael Jackson song "Thriller (http://users.cis.net/sammy/thriller.htm)" which has a horror-theme.

Do you mean reggea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggea). http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/figuren/c020.gif

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-15, 09:40 AM
Unlike Bollywood films western horror-movies are very, very rarely musicals.
I can only think of The Rocky Horror Picture Show (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073629/) and Little Shop of Horrors. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091419/).

And The Nightmare before Christmas (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107688/) and Corpse Bride (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0121164/).

suntrack2
2006-Jan-16, 04:23 PM
oh, that's fine, holcyon dayz and henrik. :)