PDA

View Full Version : Torturing Barbie

ToSeek
2005-Dec-30, 05:19 PM
Voice of Reason: Research Debunks 'Barbie Ideal' (http://www.livescience.com/othernews/051230_barbie.html)

“Mostly I helped my brother decapitate Barbies and threw limbs in neighbors’ yards. No one told me I should look like Barbie and I never felt like I should look like her.” Said another, “I never regarded Barbie as a model for a real person. I actually hated her shape because it made it hard to put clothes on her.”

mickal555
2005-Dec-30, 05:30 PM
Voice of Reason: Research Debunks 'Barbie Ideal' (http://www.livescience.com/othernews/051230_barbie.html)

Lets have a barbie-Q http://www.scotsons-shack.com/Forum/images/smiles/icon_twisted.gif

DukePaul
2005-Dec-30, 05:40 PM
If Barbie causes mental problems for young girls think what happens when after all those years playing with Ken they find out that men have genitalia.

SolusLupus
2005-Dec-30, 05:46 PM
If Barbie causes mental problems for young girls think what happens when after all those years playing with Ken they find out that men have genitalia.

Pfft... XD

beskeptical
2005-Dec-30, 09:05 PM
This story just cracked me up. But I wonder if all of them are putting more significance into how kids play with certain toys without starting from the beginning.

I think if you looked at child development, you'd see the 'torture my doll phase' was pretty common regardless of which doll and which era. I just don't think the broad conclusions Barbie was the ideal leading to self abuse or Barbie torturing is the outlet of repression would hold up. My guess is it's a development phase.

LurchGS
2005-Dec-30, 09:14 PM
I think that may be the point of the article - or at least the research. It seems to have pretty well debunked any barbieblame..

I used to build plastic models (badly) and blow them up (pretty darn well).. didn't turn me into a mad bomber or anything (stay away from the embassy tonight, though)

The reason barbie torture wasn't seen in earlier eras is the simple fact that before barbie, there were essentially no dolls with detachable head and limbs.

so.. I'll agree with your last sentence, Ms Skeptical - it's a phase.

SolusLupus
2005-Dec-30, 09:19 PM
Still, the media DOES bombard their audience (including youth) constantly with the "ideal image" of females. There is no doubt of that.

While I wouldn't pin the blame on any single thing, there has to be a reason why anorexia is so common.

Tinaa
2005-Dec-30, 09:30 PM
Nothing was more fun than strapping Barbie to the top of a bowl, setting off a bunch of firecrackers and see how high we could launch her. She sky dived from the top of the house with homemade parachutes. She dove under car wheels to see if she would survive. I had real tough Barbies.

Gillianren
2005-Dec-30, 09:39 PM
Well, let's not forget that Margaret O'Brien, in Meet Me in St. Louis, has to go dig up her dolls from the backyard before she can move to New York. Given that the movie was set a hundred years ago, I think it's a pretty safe assumption that she didn't have Barbies. (In fact, the movie was made before the existance of Barbies.)

That being said, yes, there's an unreasonable standard of physical appearance set on young girls; I babysat a three-year-old who could say, "I too fat."

beskeptical
2005-Dec-30, 09:46 PM
Still, the media DOES bombard their audience (including youth) constantly with the "ideal image" of females. There is no doubt of that.

While I wouldn't pin the blame on any single thing, there has to be a reason why anorexia is so common.Oh, there's no question the media defines the ideal woman and creates sick kids. And maybe Barbie is in there somewhere. It just never seemed to me to be the thing that started kids off. From personal experience, it starts when girls reach the age where they want to be popular among boys and peers. For the younger girls, while the subtle may be soaking in, I just don't think they're at the body image matters age, (with the exception of the things kids get made fun of for like being uncoordinated, being obese and wearing glasses.)

Hugh Jass
2005-Dec-30, 09:59 PM
(with the exception of the things kids get made fun of for like being uncoordinated, being obese and wearing glasses.)

That's the list? kids get made fun of for EVERYTHING, depending on the circle kids will get teased for hair color, running fast, being big, small, in between, big feet, small feet, cheap shoes, expensive shoes, freckles, intelligence.

One word when talking about body image... PARENTS.

No self esteem is just as bad as false self esteem and it starts, ends and is supported all along by parents. Kiddie see kiddie do, if the parents openly put unrealistic importance on image, then Barbie is a bad roll model. If the parents instill good sense and a realistic view of the world to their kids then Barbie is just a doll, albeit with very unrealistic anatomy. What other kids make fun of doesn’t enter into it until the precedent for a reaction is set by… the parents.

beskeptical
2005-Dec-30, 10:12 PM
That's the list? ...Of course it wasn't the list. I started out just saying body image didn't matter but realized that wasn't correct. What does happen is that there is a change in 'what' about one's body image matters. I don't think little girls want to look like Barbie. Teens might but by that time Barbie isn't high on their radar screens.

SolusLupus
2005-Dec-30, 10:16 PM
So, socialization with peers, and the attacks made by peers, has NO effect whatsoever on an individual. That doesn't make sense to me...

I mean, hell, one obese child killed himself because of constantly being ridiculed -- the lack of socialization with peers sure had an effect on him. Or where would we draw the line in saying what affects individuals?

I'm also talking as someone who was constantly ridiculed by the way I behaved. Believe me, I didn't see EVERYONE getting ridiculed at the same level. And it did affect me; it affected my grades, it shattered my self-esteem, and it made me reclusive. Even TODAY, I'm still reclusive, I haven't been to a single party or concert, and I don't make friends easily. I have a feeling that it wasn't "just my parents", Hugh.

Hugh Jass
2005-Dec-30, 10:20 PM
B-skep, sorry I just re-read what I wrote and reads much more harsh than I meant. I also like your clarification, but i think it supports what I wanted as an underlying meaning to my post. That is by the time the kids get to those years that there self image matters to them consciously, the parents influence and attitude affect weather or not Barbie and Budweiser commercials become that individual little girls ideal. Like Gillian said she's babysitting a three year old who said "I to fat". When I read that the picture in my head was MY three year old and I almost puked on my keyboard.

Hugh Jass
2005-Dec-30, 10:34 PM
LW, I didn't say everyone gets ridiculed at the same level, just that at times everyone does get teased and feel very out of place. Kids can be mean, what they are mean about just depends on the individual being the target, they will find something. Of course its unbalanced and not fair, and from one standpoint grossly unfair but I believe the ability of the child to adapt and adjust to what is happening has more to do with the parents influence than what a child/kid/teenage/adult is being teased about. I have been on both sides of the fence and yes I understand that being on the receiving end has a far more lasting effect. But the intensity of that effect and the result to the individual I feel is something that is determined very early on by the parents and their influence. Like I said in the first post no self esteem is just as bad as false self esteem. Social interaction at a very young age, with peers or adults is pretty much 100% controlled by the adult, be it a play group, day care, preschool, or lack of until high school when the parents decide their isolationist ideas adn home schooling aren't the best idea.

SolusLupus
2005-Dec-30, 10:37 PM
I doubt that parents are the "be-all, end-all" for how someone grows up, or how their self-esteem affects them. While I would agree that it's a large factor, so is socialization.

LurchGS
2005-Dec-30, 10:53 PM
I doubt that parents are the "be-all, end-all" for how someone grows up, or how their self-esteem affects them. While I would agree that it's a large factor, so is socialization.

I tend to agree, though I think I'll say that parents are the predominant factor. Take a look at any set of individuals and you'll see they closely resemble their parents in attitude, beliefs, and values.

Even as children age and become adults, they still maintain the same basic core set of values (disregard that rebelling teenager look - underneath the attempt to become human, he still holds most of his parent's values)

Peer-shared values are not learned (as a rule) from peers - the individual is more likely to find peers who already share his values. As his values change over time, his associates will change.

(note, this IS a generalization)

Hugh Jass
2005-Dec-30, 10:58 PM
Most of the time they are not the be-all end-all, but they do set the stage. You have a few very important years in the begining that a lot of framework is being set, including a start to socialization. There are always exceptions, the parents just define the starting point, and in my opinion the starting point is more important than a lot of people think. What happens after that will of course be up to a huge number of variables.

[EDIT: I was typing when Lurch posted, I like what he says here.]

[EDIT... again, ok my statments hitting the screen are appearing to contradict, I hope I can fix that. What I'm saying is Very early on the Parents are the be-all end-all, this changes, when it changes is up to individual circumstances. MOST of the time it's ~between 3 and 5 when kids start getting loads and loads of input from outside the parent.

Doodler
2005-Dec-30, 11:05 PM
I seem to recall having offed a few plastic princesses just to get even with my sister over some other slight. It was never a question of whether they were attractive or not, they were her toys, she irritated me, and I took revenge, as siblings often do.

beskeptical
2005-Dec-30, 11:13 PM
So, socialization with peers, and the attacks made by peers, has NO effect whatsoever on an individual. That doesn't make sense to me...Maybe because I never said any such thing?

Hugh Jass
2005-Dec-30, 11:19 PM
Maybe because I never said any such thing?

I think that was a reaction to my saying everyone is picked on, not your statements.

Parrothead
2005-Dec-30, 11:22 PM
I remember having a good laugh a week and a bit ago, when the story appeared in the paper. On one of the radio talkshows, they had callers relating "all the horrors" bestowed upon Barbie. One of the better ones was a caller that felt her tearing Barbie's limbs apart, had something to do with her becoming a physiotherapist. My sis called at some point so I had to ask what she did to hers. She fell in with many of the callers, who had resorted to cutting off all of Barbie's hair.

SolusLupus
2005-Dec-30, 11:32 PM
Maybe because I never said any such thing?

Maybe because I wasn't responding to you?

beskeptical
2005-Dec-31, 12:20 AM
Maybe because I wasn't responding to you?I was going to ask you that but did see your post just after mine and no others nearby that this seemed to be a reply to.

Perhaps reply with a quote would have been useful in this case?

teri tait
2005-Dec-31, 12:43 AM

LMAO, but I thought we were playing 'post man'....LMAO
OK, best kiss first, oops I already got me a grassy field full of real men that know me ;)

LurchGS
2005-Dec-31, 12:54 AM
how come none of our Aussie friends have suggested throwing a shrimp on the barbie?

mickal555
2005-Dec-31, 03:21 AM
Lets have a barbie-Q http://www.scotsons-shack.com/Forum/images/smiles/icon_twisted.gif
First reply... ;)

(and it's prawns not shrimp!)

SolusLupus
2005-Dec-31, 04:42 AM
I was going to ask you that but did see your post just after mine and no others nearby that this seemed to be a reply to.

Perhaps reply with a quote would have been useful in this case?

Please, next time, leave out the sarcasm. You could have just said, "Are you referring to me? I don't see how I said this...".

Saying, "Maybe because I didn't say that" was unnecessary.

(Yes, I know, I'm the last person on this forum that should talk about what you "should" and "should not" do, but c'mon)

Celestial Mechanic
2005-Dec-31, 05:24 AM
And don't forget the Klaus Barbie doll, buy one and it tortures the other dolls in your toybox . . .

:)

Enzp
2005-Dec-31, 05:24 AM
Mikal, we know they are prawns down under, but there was an advertising campaign on the TV some years back asking us to come visit Australia, and Paul Hogan invited us down saying he'd "put another shrimp on the barbie" for us. So over here we have that phrase as part of our image of Australia. No one uses the term "prawn" much in the US.

LurchGS
2005-Dec-31, 05:43 AM
yeah. that's the reference I was aiming for... I, on the other hand, do know the difference betwen the shrimp and the prawn (I've been known to grill a few of my own)

Candy
2005-Dec-31, 06:10 AM
Cindy Jackson (http://www.cindyjackson.com/autobiography.php)

"A strong will for total reinvention. The Girl Who Would Be Barbie? She is more complex than that."
Ruth Laura Edlund
Could someone beat her? Plastic Surgery Queen! :shifty:

I believe there is a lady in Texas that needs a good beating, too. :rolleyes:

I mean beat some sense into these women.

HenrikOlsen
2005-Dec-31, 10:40 AM
Could someone beat her? Plastic Surgery Queen! :shifty:
Sounds like fun.:rolleyes:
Anyway, I just see her as someone making a living by being famous for being famous. Ie. a totally useless person wwho I'm better off ignoring.

A worrying thing is that the false bodyimage/ideal isn't just something that happens to young girls and teenagers, we're getting to the point where grown women get anorexia-like behaviour because of idealizing shows such as Desperate Housewives.

teri tait
2005-Dec-31, 01:14 PM
Not to mention what they see in their own mirror, aye Cawndey?

SolusLupus
2005-Dec-31, 05:19 PM
Not to mention what they see in their own mirror, aye Cawndey?

I'm not sure exactly what you're saying here, but I'll post in reply to what I *thought* you were saying. It's probably not what you were saying, but meh. We'll live, I'm sure.

Looking in the mirror would have no effect without a reference. If every woman was fat in the world, and "fat" was considered the ideal, then they'd be happy in their body image. If every woman was anorexic and "fat" was the ideal, some would invariably be putting on the pounds to reach the ideal -- some to disastrously dangerous levels.

The numbers of girls that would overeat is directly proportionate to how much media and focus is given to "FAT GIRLS ARE BEAUTIFUL!", how many advertisements feature them, etc.

Gillianren
2005-Dec-31, 09:36 PM
I, for one, have an ideal figure--providing we're talking about the Renaissance.

LurchGS
2006-Jan-01, 05:53 AM
Rubenesque?? ooooooh, I swoon

I HATE walking pencils

Gemini
2006-Jan-01, 02:48 PM
ME too.

Doodler
2006-Jan-01, 03:05 PM
Rubenesque?? ooooooh, I swoon

I HATE walking pencils

Gimme a size 8-12 woman any day. I still cringe thinking of one woman who was rejected by a modelling agency because they "don't deal in plus sizes".

She was a size 6.

Gillianren
2006-Jan-01, 09:28 PM
Gimme a size 8-12 woman any day. I still cringe thinking of one woman who was rejected by a modelling agency because they "don't deal in plus sizes".

She was a size 6.

Yeah, I'm bigger than that. Think Botticelli.

Doodler
2006-Jan-01, 10:40 PM

Doesn't matter to me. Physical attractiveness isn't a statistic. (Doodler's Rule of Life #26) I've seen women I've counted attractive from one end of the spectrum to the other.

The concept of an "ideal" physique is insanely subjective, and by all rights should be. Walk into any clinic dealing in eating disorders and see why the idea of a pre-fabricated, standard issue "ideal", designed objectively from a lowest (weight) common denominator marketing standpoint, is above and beyond stupid and irresponsible.

I've got my own ideas about why this image keeps getting propped up, but I'll hold back. It treads on toes.

NEOWatcher
2008-Jul-17, 05:10 PM
Hmmm... 2 1/2 years later and it looks like Mattel might be reacting to this story.

If you can't beat'em join'em, I guess. If Barbie is the subject of aggression and torture, then this is the next logical step.

Critics Slam Mattel's New Barbie, Calling S&M Outfit 'Filth' (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,383642,00.html)
With a picture... :cool:

Maker Mattel says Black Canary Barbie, out in September, is based on a DC Comics superhero of the same name.

Yeah; OK; fine. You may have innocently based it on a Superhero, but what did you expect the reaction to be? :rolleyes:

Swift
2008-Jul-17, 05:14 PM
My GI Joe (the old, tall ones, not the newer little ones) is hooting and hollering, "yeah, now that's the kind of woman I've been looking for".

jokergirl
2008-Jul-17, 05:18 PM
I have a lot of other qualms about Barbie before we get to her body shape, and I have actually been anorexic.

How about "it teaches girls that career isn't important because what you REALLY need is a rich(1) boyfriend(2) who buys you lots of clothes(3)"?

I really miss good scientist role models for girls from an early age. Most geeky/techy protagonists are male. I'd like a Berta the Builder, or an Ellie the Engineer for a change.

;)

Stuart van Onselen
2008-Jul-17, 05:36 PM
Yeah; OK; fine. You may have innocently based it on a Superhero, but what did you expect the reaction to be? :rolleyes:

They expected exactly what they're getting: Oodles and oodles of free publicity!

Publicity! Publicity! Ain't no such thing as bad publicity!

NEOWatcher
2008-Jul-17, 05:41 PM
They expected exactly what they're getting...
Just in case anyone didn't notice a rhetorical question, Stuart decided to answer it. :lol:

ginnie
2008-Jul-17, 05:57 PM
The reason barbie torture wasn't seen in earlier eras is the simple fact that before barbie, there were essentially no dolls with detachable head and limbs.

My older brothers used to always steal my sister dolls heads to use as hockey pucks.
There were many decapitated dolls around...

Swift
2008-Jul-17, 06:17 PM
My older brothers used to always steal my sister dolls heads to use as hockey pucks.
There were many decapitated dolls around...
I think one of them was a co-star in the movie Toy Story.

Gemini
2008-Jul-17, 06:26 PM
I have a lot of other qualms about Barbie before we get to her body shape, and I have actually been anorexic.

How about "it teaches girls that career isn't important because what you REALLY need is a rich(1) boyfriend(2) who buys you lots of clothes(3)"?

I really miss good scientist role models for girls from an early age. Most geeky/techy protagonists are male. I'd like a Berta the Builder, or an Ellie the Engineer for a change.

;)

Samantha Carter from SG-1?

Gillianren
2008-Jul-17, 06:33 PM
I forget what book I was reading, but a girl in it received a new doll body and promptly went to figure out which of her doll heads would get it. China dolls, you see, were held together with pins.

pghnative
2008-Jul-17, 06:34 PM
I think one of them was a co-star in the movie Toy Story.
Off topic, but supposedly the Little Bo Peep character in Toy Story was originally supposed to be Barbie, but Mattel wouldn't let them use it. After the success of the movie, Mattel changed their mind for the sequel, hence the "tour guide Barbie" in the toy shop.

ginnie
2008-Jul-17, 06:37 PM

:whistle:

Forgive me, Gillianren...I couldn't resist.
My wife is overweight due to a thyroid problem, and is very conscious of it. She actually eats very healthy and sparingly but to no avail.
I love her shape and body but she tends not to believe me.

mike alexander
2008-Jul-17, 07:12 PM
Can't wait for Zatana Barbie. Fishnet stockings AND a top hat.

Swift
2008-Jul-17, 07:41 PM

A list of Barbie's careers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbie%27s_careers) (gosh I love the internet)

Education
Art teacher (2002)
Spanish language teacher (2001)
Sign language teacher (1999)
Student teacher (1965)
Elementary teacher (1985, 1992, 1995, 1996, 2006)

Medical
Dentist (1997)
Medical doctor (1988)
Nurse (1961, 2006)
Pediatrician (1994, 2000, 2003)
Surgeon (1973)
Veterinarian (1996, 2007)

Military
United States Army officer (1989, Desert Storm 1992)
United States Air Force jet pilot (1990)
United States Air Force Thunderbirds (1993)
United States Marine Corps officer (1991)
United States Navy officer (1991)

Political
United States President (2000)
Presidential candidate (Barbie for President 1992, 2004)
UNICEF Summit diplomat (1990)
Ambassador for world peace (1986)

Public Service
Firefighter (1995)
Police officer (1993)
Life guard (Baywatch 1994)
Canadian Mountie (2005) (available only in Canada)
Swim Teacher (2005, 2008)

Transportation
Astronaut (1965, 1985, 25th Apollo 1994)
Flight Attendant (American Airlines 1961, PanAm 1966, Flight Time 1989)
NASCAR driver (1998)
Pilot (1990)

Misc.
Babysitter (Barbie Babysits 1963)
Business executive (Day to Night 1984)
Cowgirl (1981)
Chef (1996)
Paleontologist (1997)
McDonald's cashier (1983)
Starfleet officer (2000)
Soda fountain Waitress (Coca Cola Series 1998)

Of course, I had to track down Starfleet Barbie (http://www.tias.com/cgi-bin/google.fcgi/itemKey=1920993799) and astronaut Barbie (http://www.dustcatchers.com/barbie/94astronautaa.jpg) for BAUT

SeanF
2008-Jul-17, 08:07 PM
A list of Barbie's careers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbie%27s_careers) (gosh I love the internet)
Looks to me like the gal can't hold down a job. ;)

Neverfly
2008-Jul-17, 09:14 PM
Looks to me like the gal can't hold down a job. ;)

Maybe. But what a resume!
She went from McDonalds Cashier in '83 to US President in '00

ETA: And a See's Candy cashier in '02? Sheesh... Must have been a devastating campaign.

jokergirl
2008-Jul-17, 09:34 PM
RE: Superhero outfit Barbie:
The only Barbie I own is dressed as Harley Quinn.

;)

RalofTyr
2008-Jul-18, 05:03 AM
Chest-buster Barbie...

It will even come with a facehugger accessory.

This sounds, well, like a darwinistic trait, young girls mutilating their dolls. Perhaps the girl thinks since Barbie is the "Perfect" woman, she will get more mates than the girl, so she mutilates the doll to prevent this.

That's what marriage does to a guy.

Van Rijn
2008-Jul-18, 06:49 AM
Of course, I had to track down Starfleet Barbie (http://www.tias.com/cgi-bin/google.fcgi/itemKey=1920993799) and astronaut Barbie (http://www.dustcatchers.com/barbie/94astronautaa.jpg) for BAUT

Starfleet Barbie fits right in. Yes, Yeoman Barbie is doing well on the Enterprise (notice which way Kirk is leaning). Oh, and Ken looks quite a bit like Pike before his small accident. But as for astronaut Barbie . . . that is supposed to be a spacesuit? Give me a break. I would have been impressed if it looked semi-realistic, but in that outfit she wouldn't last five minutes in vacuum - assuming she breathed, that is.

Neverfly
2008-Jul-18, 07:05 AM
Starfleet Barbie fits right in. Yes, Yeoman Barbie is doing well on the Enterprise (notice which way Kirk is leaning). Oh, and Ken looks quite a bit like Pike before his small accident. But as for astronaut Barbie . . . that is supposed to be a spacesuit? Give me a break. I would have been impressed if it looked semi-realistic, but in that outfit she wouldn't last five minutes in vacuum - assuming she breathed, that is.

Notice how tan she got since she left her helmet off too. Must have been those blasted Van Allen Belts...

suntrack2
2008-Jul-18, 11:27 AM
Very frankly speaking, the Barbie dolls are quite popular in India, whenever we go for any marketing purpose to the shop there we can find in the showcase these dolls kept in a very great decoration and flood light over it. There are 2-3 types of costs, from lower to higher one can buy these toys for their children. Children when accompany with us, they immediately demands these dolls, because in children the attraction of things is quite big, and barbie is well doing in entertaining them. few other companies tried to make the ditto look but is not that descent "like of barbie's own".

The barbies are well decorating our show cases. As well as barbie Madam Tussad's wax dolls are very great and famous all over the world. But I have not seen astronomy related or star war's characters dolls yet. :)

Swift
2008-Jul-18, 01:00 PM
By the way, but someone hacked into Matel's network and downloaded a list of Barbies that are being developed:

Klingon Barbie
Terrorist Barbie
Day-time talk show host Barbie (with matching box of tissues)
International Celeb Barbie (with adoptable babies from all over the world)
Rap Artist Barbie
CERN Barbie (with matching micro black hole)
Cylon Barbie (when the kid destroys it, a new one is instantly created with all the past play experiences)
Nerd Barbie (they are thinking about several versions including Computer-Nerd, Chemistry-Nerd, SF-Trivia-Nerd, etc.)
GenX Barbie
GenY Barbie
GenZ Barbie
Menopause Barbie

Whirlpool
2008-Jul-18, 02:21 PM
By the way, but someone hacked into Matel's network and downloaded a list of Barbies that are being developed:

Klingon Barbie
Terrorist Barbie
Day-time talk show host Barbie (with matching box of tissues)
International Celeb Barbie (with adoptable babies from all over the world)
Rap Artist Barbie
CERN Barbie (with matching micro black hole)
Cylon Barbie (when the kid destroys it, a new one is instantly created with all the past play experiences)
Nerd Barbie (they are thinking about several versions including Computer-Nerd, Chemistry-Nerd, SF-Trivia-Nerd, etc.)
GenX Barbie
GenY Barbie
GenZ Barbie
Menopause Barbie

My Goodness! I can't imagine what "Menopause Barbie " will look like.:think:

:lol:

Neverfly
2008-Jul-18, 03:32 PM
My Goodness! I can't imagine what "Menopause Barbie " will look like.:think:

:lol:

Same as the Klingon Barbie, only meaner.

Whirlpool
2008-Jul-18, 03:43 PM
Same as the Klingon Barbie, only meaner.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m200/la_resistance_1992/DSC02396.jpg

Gosh! That looks like a meaner - menopausing Barbie?

:p

mugaliens
2008-Jul-18, 05:32 PM
Barbies are for girls.

GI Joes are for men (whether they're little boys or not).

Ken is...

...is...

Well, let's just approach this existentially. Ken is.

mugaliens
2008-Jul-18, 05:34 PM
GenX Barbie
GenY Barbie
GenZ Barbie

GenA Barbie, complete with pre-sized casket.

Disinfo Agent
2008-Jul-19, 02:12 PM
S&M Barbie lashed by public (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1428128.ece) :rolleyes:

matthewota
2008-Jul-19, 03:00 PM
Body image does not matter in amateur astronomy, since everybody is in the dark anyways.

mike alexander
2008-Jul-19, 04:45 PM
I find the reaction in certain quarters that said doll is 'filth'... OK, I find it funny. But it does demonstrate the power of branding if you gets there first with the best. Black Canary Barbie (yes, I'm old enough to remember the Black Canary, a minor superheroine, usually a 4-page filler in 'The Brave and the Bold') doesn't hold a candle to S&M Barbie. Right up there with Death Tax. And the doll looked more bikerish than dom.

Maybe the people calling it S&M should check out more traditional accoutrements of the trade before pointing the finger.

ABR.
2008-Jul-19, 05:02 PM

Your list depresses me as it represents just a couple shelves of my wife's Barbie collection. Also, from your later post, there sort of is a menopause Barbie. Mattel made a pregnant Barbie set (yes, you read that correctly) where the belly is removable so she instantly returns to her pre-pregnancy figure. Accessories include a Grandpa and Grandma Barbie.

In my house, I don't torture Barbies...Barbies torture me!

BigDon
2008-Jul-19, 06:23 PM
ABR. A friend lived under the same curse, only from his mom. She had Barbie variations I never knew existed.

Then there are the ones you would have liked to have seen. Sort of.

Crack addict Barbie, babbling homeless Barbie, hang out near maternity wards and steal a baby Barbie.

Only one time did we ever pull any shenanigans on his mother in this regard. Swiped a Barbie from somewhere, I forget where at the moment, somebody's kid sister I'm sure, "altered" it and placed it in her display.

Dude! She actually fainted! (We did a good job on the Barbie, even swapping out the clothes. She thought the kids had gotten her best "out of the box" doll she had.)

Do you know how much that scared the tar out of a bunch of hidden junior high schoolers? We thought we had killed her! Good Lord the insueing drama made it seem like we went and tattoo'ed the baby or something.

ABR.
2008-Jul-19, 08:09 PM
I don't think my wife would faint if someone did something like that to one of her Barbies. I have no doubt whatsoever that the perpetrator would be dead-man walking!

Speaking of my wife...I mentioned my previous post to her. I have been directed to point out that not only do I not have things so bad with the Barbies, but she has to put up with an entire room filled with dead bugs (emphasis hers). As if there's something wrong with that.

BigDon
2008-Jul-19, 08:18 PM
Amature or professional entomologist? I was hoping for another bug person!

ABR.
2008-Jul-19, 08:26 PM
I lost my amateur status back in the early 1990s when I started getting paid to entomologize. I'm still waiting for the lucrative endorsements, though.

Neverfly
2008-Jul-19, 09:37 PM
I think I prefer bugs to Barbie. At least bugs are edible.

sarongsong
2008-Jul-20, 12:06 AM
Barbie, Esquire:
July 18, 2008
In a battle between Barbie and the Bratz gang of dolls, the long-legged blonde...won the biggest catfight in toyland...the creator of the multi-ethnic Bratz gang, 39-year-old Carter Bryant, created their characters and the name while he was under contract as a Barbie designer at Mattel...the damages phase of the trial...begins on 23 July...
The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/barbie-wins-catfight-with-bratz-870948.html)

Doodler
2008-Jul-20, 12:35 AM
Barbies are for girls.

GI Joes are for men (whether they're little boys or not).

Ken is...

I believe the term "metrosexual" applies here.

Gemini
2008-Jul-20, 01:04 AM
Mattel made a pregnant Barbie set (yes, you read that correctly) where the belly is removable so she instantly returns to her pre-pregnancy figure. Accessories include a Grandpa and Grandma Barbie.

In my house, I don't torture Barbies...Barbies torture me!

Ya Know, I remember advertisments for that.

ABR.
2008-Jul-20, 02:54 AM
I believe the term "metrosexual" applies here.

My wife would like me to point out that Ken is merely one of Barbie's accessories -- something that will look good in her dream house.

ABR.
2008-Jul-20, 02:55 AM
I think I prefer bugs to Barbie. At least bugs are edible.

So true.

Gemini
2008-Jul-20, 03:03 AM
So true.

Well, with a little Tony Chachere's creole seasoning... ummm...never mind

ABR.
2008-Jul-20, 03:09 AM
It's like eating crunchy frogs. Just make sure you eat predacious insects. Detritus-feeders...blech!

HenrikOlsen
2008-Jul-20, 01:55 PM

Starfleet Barbie fits right in. Yes, Yeoman Barbie is doing well on the Enterprise (notice which way Kirk is leaning).
Leaning?
Notice who he's feasting his eyes on:)

NEOWatcher
2008-Jul-21, 12:45 PM
S&M Barbie lashed by public (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1428128.ece) :rolleyes:
Do you have any comments to go with the link?
I provided the story that had both credits and link to the identical source story. So; what are you adding? :think:

Disinfo Agent
2008-Jul-21, 12:47 PM
If you mean that you'd already linked to that story, I'm sorry, I hadn't noticed.

NEOWatcher
2008-Jul-21, 01:32 PM
If you mean that you'd already linked to that story, I'm sorry, I hadn't noticed.
Well; In a way I was saying that, but I was trying to make it clear that the link was one link removed, and that may have muddied the waters a bit.

Disinfo Agent
2008-Jul-21, 01:42 PM
Well; In a way I was saying that, but I was trying to make it clear that the link was one link removed, and that may have muddied the waters a bit.What does "one link removed" mean?

NEOWatcher
2008-Jul-21, 02:49 PM
What does "one link removed" mean?
The story in my link pointed to the story in your link. (one extra click, in other words)

NEOWatcher
2009-Mar-04, 04:51 PM
Resurrected thread for more on Barbie.

W.Va. Lawmaker Wants To Ban Barbie (http://www.wpxi.com/news/18845355/detail.html)
Not just the S&M Barbie, but the entire line.

The proposal from Democratic Delegate Jeff Eldridge said such toys influence girls to place too much importance on physical beauty, at the expense of their intellectual and emotional development.

Yes; that is well known. I'm sure some parental guidance can overcome this.

On second thought, the current obesity problem could be tied to Cabbage Patch Dolls. ;)

Edit: more on MSNBC (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29508066/)

"I couldn't get anybody to sign on the bill with me but I said I'm still going to introduce it."
And you don't think that's an indication that this bill is a waste of your time and taxpayers money?
Me thinks this is a publicity stunt at taxpayer expense.

Fazor
2009-Mar-04, 05:20 PM
No me gusta la idia qué el gobierno puede decir qué juguetes son buen o mal por ninos juguetear* con los.
(Sorry, I'm still in the mood to learn, thus still practicing. the * is because that is how the spanish dictionary I have says to conjugate jugar, 'to play', to mean 'to play with [something]. I understand the stem change, but not the etear ending.)

Anyway, that was suppose to say, "I don't like the idea that the government can say what's good or bad for children to play with."

There's more to it (but I know the spanish is annoying enough with a single statement). There's a time and a place for consumer interest; obviously whether or not a product is safe, or appropriate, is something the government already does. This is a situation where I believe there's a real need for that role, but that this particular decision would, in my hunble opinion, very much cross the line. Fortunately, it doesn't sound like it has much support anyway.

BigDon
2009-Mar-04, 05:47 PM
Neo, it's called "Grandstanding".

Trying to push laws you know, (or might not know) are un-enforcable or unconstitutional to look good for your constituents. Often with the "Think of The Children" tag attached to it.

Fazor
2009-Mar-04, 05:52 PM
Often with the "Think of The Children" tag attached to it.
I call that the Lovejoy Tactic, from Helen Lovejoy of the Simpsons. They've used the line in many episodes, though (IMHO) the best and most prevelant use was during the 'Much Apu About Nothing' episode, during a plea to get the mayor to approve the "much needed" Bear Patrol.

NEOWatcher
2009-Mar-04, 05:57 PM
...Trying to push laws you know, (or might not know) are un-enforcable or unconstitutional to look good for your constituents.
Absolutely; I think a lot of laws are there just because politicians can say "I did something about it".
But; when the concept is so inane, it's a poor reflection of the politician's opinion of thier constituancy.

Swift
2009-Mar-05, 03:59 AM
I wonder if State Senator Barbie would vote for a bill banning herself? Of course, if she did, Supreme Court Justice Barbie might just rule that the law was unconstitutional.

:D

Chuck
2009-Mar-05, 05:14 AM
How about the "Raptured Barbie Play Set", a collection of accessories but no doll? A great low budget item in these financially trouble times.

Fazor
2009-Mar-05, 12:46 PM
How about the "Raptured Barbie Play Set", a collection of accessories but no doll? A great low budget item in these financially trouble times.

That could give young girls the message that they themselves are invisible; what makes them important is their accessories. Soon after, TLoTMFT (The League of Too Much Free Timers) will spring into action, starting the off-shoot group PATAS, People Against Things and Stuff. Under PATAS' pressure, Senator Ineedrey Electionvotes (Arz) will push a bill banning the sale toys with things and stuff.

SeanF
2009-Mar-05, 04:40 PM
Is that similar to the "Divorce Barbie," which comes with all of Ken's accessories?

NEOWatcher
2009-Mar-05, 09:06 PM
More members of Fazor's PATA group are showing up because of another New barbie.

'TattooBarbie' causes stir (Video only) (http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/living/2009/03/05/dnt.ca.tatoo.barbie.kovr)

It comes with tattoo stickers. :eek:

Haven't kids been crazy about tattoo stickers for like... decades?

Fazor
2009-Mar-05, 09:13 PM
Curse you Cracker Jacks! Not only did you cause Americans to become obese, but your rub-on tattoos have lead to our moral decline! I propose we send a rampagining robot back in time to stop the inventor of Cracker Jacks before he can unleash his evil creation upon humanity.

(It's PATAS, by the way. They're against both Things and Stuff.)

Swift
2009-Mar-05, 09:13 PM
Personally, I'm holding out for Extreme Body-Piercing Barbie.

Ilya
2009-Mar-05, 09:14 PM
Pseudo-Barbie with tattoos, piercings and pubic hair has been available in Australia for at least 15 years: Feral Cheryl (http://www.feralcheryl.com.au/).

NEOWatcher
2009-Mar-05, 09:18 PM
Pseudo-Barbie with tattoos, piercings and pubic hair has been available in Australia for at least 15 years: Feral Cheryl (http://www.feralcheryl.com.au/).

Apparently PATAS has gotten to them too...

NOTE: PRODUCTION OF FERAL CHERYL DOLLS HAS BEEN SUSPENDED BUT....

ABR.
2009-Mar-05, 09:22 PM
Personally, I'm holding out for Extreme Body-Piercing Barbie.

Does this (http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2009/03/03/why-you-should-listen-to-celebrities/) qualify?

Larry Jacks
2009-Mar-05, 09:32 PM
Curse you Cracker Jacks!

Hey, I may be from the south but I'm not a cracker!

Although Trailer Park Barbie (http://www.freakingnews.com/Trailer-Park-Barbie-Friends-Pictures-48873.asp) from this page (http://www.freakingnews.com/Barbie-Doll-Pictures--1940-0.asp) does look familiar.

KaiYeves
2009-Mar-05, 11:04 PM
Was this thread in honor of Barbie's 50th anniversary?

Swift
2009-Mar-06, 03:12 AM
Does this (http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2009/03/03/why-you-should-listen-to-celebrities/) qualify?
That's terrible. You'll get air in your syringe like that and might get an embolism.

Eta C
2009-Mar-06, 03:27 AM
Well, it's certainly a publicity stunt, but the expense depends on how far this goes. If he introduces it and it dies in Ways & Means without ever reaching the floor then the cost is minimal. A few lines in the Congressional Record and some paper and ink costs. This sort of stunt only costs taxpayer dollars if it actually becomes law. Given the lack of success in gaining co-sponsors that would seem unlikely.

Van Rijn
2009-Mar-06, 04:20 AM
Okay, sure, but what about Barbie?

(I think you posted to the wrong thread.)

Eta C
2009-Mar-06, 01:36 PM
Actually, it was a response to Neowatcher's post number 90

And you don't think that's an indication that this bill is a waste of your time and taxpayers money? Me thinks this is a publicity stunt at taxpayer expense.

I hadn't really noticed the thread had taken a somewhat different tack. Late hours, glass of Scotch and all that.

Celestial Mechanic
2009-Mar-06, 01:49 PM
How about the "Raptured Barbie Play Set", a collection of accessories but no doll? A great low budget item in these financially trouble times.Not really. The doll was just a "loss leader", something sold to get you in the door. The real money was made on the accessories. ;)

NEOWatcher
2009-Mar-06, 02:03 PM
Was this thread in honor of Barbie's 50th anniversary?
Considering the thread is over three years old...nope. ;)

Actually, it was a response to Neowatcher's post number 90
I hadn't really noticed the thread had taken a somewhat different tack...
Yep, this thread seemed to turn into Barbie bashing, so I thought it was appropriate to introduce the story here instead of wasting a new thread.

Chuck
2009-Mar-06, 03:31 PM
Not really. The doll was just a "loss leader", something sold to get you in the door. The real money was made on the accessories. ;)
That's true. They'll be needing to buy Left Behind Ken.

NEOWatcher
2009-Mar-06, 06:51 PM
If Mattel wasn't having enough publicity issues with Barbie, they decided to add to it by messing with Dora the Explorer.

Dora going Skank, moms fear (video only) (http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/showbiz/2009/03/06/am.costello.dora.teen.doll.cnn)

They are unveiling a "tween" Dora doll and people fear she will be "bratzed", "sexualized", "obsessed with boys like Barbie"

Mattel says she won't resemble Barbie, in fact she's the anti-Barbie.

What gets me is that instead of saying that they like Dora and want to keep an image for toddlers, they are saying they don't like this new doll with no idea of how it will be portrayed.

Fazor
2009-Mar-06, 07:00 PM
What gets me is that instead of saying that they like Dora and want to keep an image for toddlers, they are saying they don't like this new doll with no idea of how it will be portrayed.

That's what gets me.

HenrikOlsen
2009-Mar-06, 07:50 PM
Not really. The doll was just a "loss leader", something sold to get you in the door. The real money was made on the accessories. ;)
It's the Gillette business plan1 all over again.

1) Give them the razor, sell them the blades.

KaiYeves
2009-Mar-06, 09:48 PM
Considering the thread is over three years old...nope.
Oh, okay. Because there were a lot of things in the newspaper about the anniversary.

I had the scuba Barbies back when I was little. They came with this cool rubber orca whale that I played with as much as the dolls. I actually kept the orca after I gave the dolls away.