PDA

View Full Version : Bad Chemistry

montebianco
2005-Dec-31, 07:51 PM
Just saw an advert on the television for some product available at sharperimage.com that is some kind of air purifier. One of its features is that it converts smog and ozone to oxygen. I was under the impression ozone was oxygen :D

korjik
2005-Dec-31, 09:14 PM
Yeah, I like to laugh at that commercial too. It is especially funny since they changed the commercial after Consumer Reports slammed the ionic breeze because it creates alot of ozone.

PhantomWolf
2006-Jan-01, 07:17 AM
Well not really. Ozone is O3 while when we talk about Oxygen we're generally talking about O2 not Oxygen atoms. I get what you're talking about, that elementally, Ozone is just Oxygen atoms, for a general discussion they are right because it's comparing the different molecules by their common names.

TriangleMan
2006-Jan-03, 12:12 PM
Ozone converts to oxygen over a relatively short period of time anyway, so it is not like you have to have an air filter to do it.

How do you convert smog to oxygen? :think:

montebianco
2006-Jan-03, 01:27 PM
Ozone converts to oxygen over a relatively short period of time anyway, so it is not like you have to have an air filter to do it.

Must be doing fission/fusion in there :D

PhantomWolf
2006-Jan-03, 01:35 PM
Must be doing fission/fusion in there :D
Only if there was such a thing a a smog atom. Smog is generally a mixture of smoke and fog, so often has low concentrations of H2SO4, H2CO3 as well as an amount of H2O. Oxygen could be removed from these by reducing them, though honestly I wouldn't have thought it was really worth it and the by-products can be pretty nasty.

Jim
2006-Jan-03, 01:41 PM

That's easy...

Using the patented ionic action of the device to catalyze the reaction,
2SmOG ----> O2 + 2SmG

Of course, after awhile the smog salts build up and you have to shake the unit into a plastic bag, but, hey...

montebianco
2006-Jan-03, 01:42 PM
Only if there was such a thing a a smog atom.

Huh?

Swift
2006-Jan-03, 02:10 PM
That's easy...

Using the patented ionic action of the device to catalyze the reaction,
2SmOG ----> O2 + 2SmG

Of course, after awhile the smog salts build up and you have to shake the unit into a plastic bag, but, hey...
:lol:
And of course, SmG is what David Lister is famous for. :eh:
:p

beervolcano
2006-Jan-05, 08:54 PM
Most smog is NO2 and SO2 or more accurately NOx and HxSOx.

What they have is likely similar to a catalytic convertor in your exhaust pipe (presumably without the PtRh catalyst).

This would easily convert NOx to N2 and O2, and O3 to O2, but I wonder about the SO2.

I doesn't matter because those kinds of air purifiers are crap. Never buy anything from Sharper Image, ever. But go to one of their stores and look at a Ionic Breeze that's been sitting there uncleaned. You'll notice a lot of dust and crap built up on the outflow screen. This means that the dust sticks better to the plastic screen on the way out of the device better than it sticks to the "electrodes" or whatever they are.