PDA

View Full Version : I'm M-e--l---t----i-----n------g!!!

paulie jay
2006-Jan-01, 03:33 AM
Ok then, I’ve had enough – I want my money back. You guys are having snowball fights while I’m sitting here dripping on my computer because its 42° Celsius (107° Fahrenheit for you imperial types), and I live on the coast! I can only imagine how tough it is for my cousins out in the country.

On the upside, the forecast for tomorrow is 21°. Can you imagine that? A drop of 21° in a single day!!

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-01, 03:35 AM
Not much different here in Corpus Christi. Our winter lasted a few days, and a couple weeks of cold weather. Today was a hot day, though.

paulie jay
2006-Jan-01, 03:43 AM
This is not fair - it's just clicked over to 43° http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/verschiedene/d025.gif

LurchGS
2006-Jan-01, 03:46 AM
poor baby. it was maybe 17 here today...in the sun

paulie jay
2006-Jan-01, 03:49 AM
I've got igloo envy...:lol:

Gillianren
2006-Jan-01, 03:55 AM
It's been in the 40s (Fahrenheit, obviously) and raining here. I'll gladly trade with someone who's got snow.

The Mangler
2006-Jan-01, 03:55 AM
On the upside, the forecast for tomorrow is 21°. Can you imagine that? A drop of 21° in a single day!!
That happens all the time here. The temperature can change by 60 degrees (Fahrenheit) or more in one day here. It's in the mid 70s now.

It sucks when you leave for work and it's only 35, but when you get off it's 85. You never know what to wear, and I always get sick when it does that.

paulie jay
2006-Jan-01, 04:09 AM
Yeah, one minute you're hot, the next you're shivering.

LurchGS
2006-Jan-01, 04:13 AM
I hear Vail (ski resort) has a record breaking 200 inches of snow already (it's record breaking in that they have 200 inches already - there's more snow in the future)

and it's only a hundred miles or so away.

Kristophe
2006-Jan-01, 04:16 AM
It was 13 here yesterday (Celcius, of course). Today? -3. Sigh.

paulie jay
2006-Jan-01, 04:25 AM
But we both live in Sydney!!!

LurchGS
2006-Jan-01, 04:29 AM
one is the Dark Sydney, though

Kristophe
2006-Jan-01, 04:35 AM
Yeah. I'm from the good one :P

LurchGS
2006-Jan-01, 04:50 AM
Darth Sydney - Sith Lord of OZ

kinda has a nice ring to it, no?

paulie jay
2006-Jan-01, 07:26 AM
:lol:

Some parts of Sydney now hitting 45° (113° Fahrenheit) - what a way to start the year! Of course, there are small fires breakling out in the outlying fringes. Imagine donning a fireman's outfit in this heat!

LurchGS
2006-Jan-01, 07:56 AM
gah! I hope they rehab well

(one of our jobs in Search and Rescue is to make sure firefighters drink enough water - this frees up THEIR people to go fight the fire. Of course, this doesn't happen at every fire - just those forest fires to which we get called)

TrAI
2006-Jan-01, 02:15 PM
Its 15:15 here, and its a nice -1°C, the snowfree ground is bathed in light of an amber hue from a sun low on the horizon. Quite nice actually.

Moose
2006-Jan-01, 02:17 PM
I haven't been outside, but judging by the aura of cold around the windows, it looks like about -15C (not counting windchill). Paulie Jay, you're welcome to swing by. I guarantee I'll cool you down. ;)

Doodler
2006-Jan-01, 02:46 PM
Too hot, too cold, too hot, too cold, too hot, too cold...

I swear this planet's going into menopause. :|

Kristophe
2006-Jan-01, 07:45 PM

You know, that would explain so much...

beskeptical
2006-Jan-01, 08:27 PM
Ok then, I’ve had enough – I want my money back. You guys are having snowball fights while I’m sitting here dripping on my computer because its 42° Celsius (107° Fahrenheit for you imperial types), and I live on the coast! I can only imagine how tough it is for my cousins out in the country.

On the upside, the forecast for tomorrow is 21°. Can you imagine that? A drop of 21° in a single day!!I was in Victoria (Province of Melbourne for the non-Aussies) with a friend in the late 70's when a heat wave was in progress. I believe it actually got up to 114F!!! All we could do was drive in the car with the windows down and stop for more sodas when we ran out.

But after a day or two, we were camped by a lake and along came this light wind and voila!, the temperature dropped instantly to the 80s. It was mind boggling.

Another time I was up in Canada, can't remember if it was Eastern BC or Eastern Alberta, I think Alberta. Anyway, we were in open flat country. Again, another brisk breeze and the temperature dropped a good 20-30 degrees in an instant. It was clearly an Arctic cold front passing over us. Made for a memorable experience.

Say, do you have a little degree character on your keyboard? I don't see a code for it on your post?

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-01, 08:32 PM
Alt+0176 on Windows.

mickal555
2006-Jan-01, 09:06 PM
http://www.bautforum.com/misc.php?do=bbcode

Superscript

45o
=
45o

beskeptical
2006-Jan-01, 09:19 PM
http://www.bautforum.com/misc.php?do=bbcode

Superscript

45o
=
45oThanks, but I knew that. If you hit reply with a quote on paulie's post you won't see the code.

beskeptical
2006-Jan-01, 09:21 PM
Alt+0176 on Windows.OK, I'll try that.

Didn't work or I'm in the wrong program or I did something wrong.

Musashi
2006-Jan-01, 09:25 PM
°
Make sure to use the number pad.

mickal555
2006-Jan-01, 09:28 PM
Thanks, but I knew that. If you hit reply with a quote on paulie's post you won't see the code.
oh ok...

I don't have a numpad... :evil:

Moose
2006-Jan-01, 09:33 PM
Wait. What? Mickal, what sort of keyboard do you have that doesn't have a number pad? Is that a laptop or something?

mickal555
2006-Jan-01, 09:37 PM
Yea, laptop...

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-01, 09:46 PM
Use the Character Map program, that's what gave me the Alt+0176 combo anyway.

cjl
2006-Jan-02, 12:47 AM
Copper Mountain, which is only a short drive from here, now has record breaking amounts of snow, almost as much as vail (180" +). Down here, on the other hand, it's 38 degrees (f) and dry. I would definitely not want to be in Sydney now though :)

Side note: when I went to Copper the other day to ski, I noticed that a lot of the lift operators were Australian. Now I know why.

Candy
2006-Jan-02, 02:55 AM
Use the Character Map program, that's what gave me the Alt+0176 combo anyway.
Or use word (insert, symbol).

39°F – currently in Roselle, Illinois :razz:
I use a laptop, too.

paulie jay
2006-Jan-02, 09:02 AM
I was in Victoria (Province of Melbourne for the non-Aussies) with a friend in the late 70's when a heat wave was in progress. I believe it actually got up to 114F!!! All we could do was drive in the car with the windows down and stop for more sodas when we ran out.

But after a day or two, we were camped by a lake and along came this light wind and voila!, the temperature dropped instantly to the 80s. It was mind boggling.
Yep! The Southerly hit last night at around 10pm and the temperature outside dropped about 20°C in around 5 minutes. Oh, the blessed relief!! Unfortunately the angle of the big wind ensured that it didn't make it through my windows so the house stayed as hot as an oven.

Say, do you have a little degree character on your keyboard? I don't see a code for it on your post? I had to go looking for it in Word - scrolling though the "symbols" section. I find it copies and pastes straight into the text box.:)

Swift
2006-Jan-02, 02:44 PM

:lol:
Quick, someone give Mom Earth some soy. :doh:

Moose
2006-Jan-02, 03:24 PM
I wonder how Mars is this time of year? ( ;) )

Nicolas
2006-Jan-02, 03:44 PM
I have an azerty keyboard which features the ° sign :).

WE've had snow on friday, rain in the night, no snow anymore on saturday, and now just a bit of light rain and about 2°C.

Candy
2006-Jan-02, 05:46 PM
I have an azerty keyboard which features the ° sign :).

WE've had snow on friday, rain in the night, no snow anymore on saturday, and now just a bit of light rain and about 2°C.
I miss my old "German" keyboard.
I got used to spelling my name Candz. :(

beskeptical
2006-Jan-02, 08:25 PM
Or use word (insert, symbol).

...Now that's interesting....I'll check on that one. (Thanks Paulie, too)

Back to the topic, sorry....

Gillianren
2006-Jan-03, 02:26 AM
Today, for the first time in more than fifty years, it rained on the Rose Parade. (Or, formally, the Tournament of Roses Parade.) I watched (nobly getting up before dawn!), and the rain was practically horizontal at times. Two floats broke down just during the ~2 hours the parade was televised; I wouldn't be surprised if more broke down before the whole thing made it the ~6 miles of the route.

Candy
2006-Jan-03, 06:22 AM
California Colony of Indiana (http://www.purdue.edu/wbaa/ipbs/Scripts/066.htm)
Pasadena got its name from a bunch of Hoosiers.

It was nasty here today in Chicago - winds and thunderstorms. I slept good before work. :razz:

Moose
2006-Jan-03, 11:32 AM
It was nasty here today in Chicago - winds and thunderstorms. I slept good before work. :razz:

What! :eek: Winds in Chicago! How could that be?! :D

Gillianren
2006-Jan-03, 07:58 PM
California Colony of Indiana (http://www.purdue.edu/wbaa/ipbs/Scripts/066.htm)
Pasadena got its name from a bunch of Hoosiers.

Technically, it got its name from someone's missionary cousin. What's even more fun is that the founders of the town I grew up in took a little chunk of the chunk of word that Pasadena'd chosen for its name, lopped off the "pasa" part, and added "alta," which is Spanish for "upper" or "higher." Altadena's been resisting annexation pretty much ever since.

We're only supposed to get clouds tomorrow, instead of rain. A tad disappointing, but there it is.

paulie jay
2006-Jan-03, 10:33 PM
I gotta ask - what is a Hoosier??

Gillianren
2006-Jan-04, 12:00 AM
I gotta ask - what is a Hoosier??

There's no definitive answer. I've heard several theories, each more ludicrous than the last. The only agreement at all is its current meaning as a person from Indiana.

Candy
2006-Jan-04, 06:41 AM
Technically, it got its name from someone's missionary cousin. What's even more fun is that the founders of the town I grew up in took a little chunk of the chunk of word that Pasadena'd chosen for its name, lopped off the "pasa" part, and added "alta," which is Spanish for "upper" or "higher." Altadena's been resisting annexation pretty much ever since.

We're only supposed to get clouds tomorrow, instead of rain. A tad disappointing, but there it is.

Though “Indiana Colony” and “Indianola” were names proposed for the settlement, they decided in 1875 upon “ Pasadena,” based on a Chippewa word meaning “crown of the valley.” See link.

Hoosier meaning! Don't get me started. Okay, you have. It does not come from the term, "Who's there"? Having researched the name on my own. I am convinced it comes from the Husar name for a German Soldier. Indiana was "homesteaded" by Germans. There are towns and heritage completely German. There are many namesakes with Hoosier, Husar, Huser, etc... still in the area. I've seen black and white movies with the spelling Hosier.

Basically, it's a misspelled word through time. Slowly, with communications, it is agreed that Hoosier is the correct "term and spelling" for a person born in Indiana. Me! :D

Gillianren
2006-Jan-04, 08:25 PM
Candy, I know all the stuff in your link; I learned it in California history class when I was a sophomore at a high school in Pasadena. The point still remains that, while it was named by settlers from Indiana, they didn't want to give it a Spanish name. (Pesky Catholics.) They wanted to give it a name in the language of the people who'd lived there before the Spanish . . . but the Gabrielino language had been wiped out centuries before.

One of the original settlers had a cousin who was a missionary to the Chippewa, and they asked for a Chippewa word that meant either "crown of the valley" or "key of the valley" . . . but the cousin wrote back saying that the Chippewa had neither crowns nor keys. The cousin sent a list of words that meant approximately what the settlers wanted; these were all very long words indeed. (Well, they would be, for a phrase that's four words in English.) The settlers didn't use one of the words, they took a chunk of one of the words, and they probably mispronounced it at that. Dunno. Anyone here speak Chippewa?

Candy
2006-Jan-04, 09:05 PM
Me thinks Sarongsong can translate. :shifty:

Candy
2006-Jan-04, 10:17 PM
I sent a PM to Sarongsong. :whistle:

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-05, 05:37 AM
Indianapolis is a hard one, for me. How the heck did they decide how to name that "Indianapolis"? Coincidentally, it JUST happens to sound like Indiana, the state it's in... how strange is that?

Anyways, enough silliness from me. I might add that Indianapolis was pretty cool when I lived there for a couple years...

LurchGS
2006-Jan-05, 05:48 AM
I'd not be proud to be from a state with Gary in it! :)

(For the geographically challanged, Gary is an industrial city at the southernmost point of Lake Michigan - it's nasty, dingy, 'un-pretty', and last time I was there, stinks to high heaven)

Maksutov
2006-Jan-05, 07:27 AM

On the upside, the forecast for tomorrow is 21°. Can you imagine that? A drop of 21° in a single day!!Well, the New Zealanders have this figured out. As you see on this Royal Astronomical Society of New Zealand page (http://www.rasnz.org.nz/SolarSys/Jan_06.htm), perihelion was yesterday at 3:30 AM NZDT, when the Sun was only 147.1 million km away from the Earth. That would explain why you're so hot. http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/566/iconwink6tn.gif

Now, it's a good thing for you they did it at night or it would have been worse. We all need to jump "up" at the same time in the next few days to get the Earth moving away from the Sun so you will cool down and we'll have a nice, comfy summer up here in the Northern Hemisphere. At least that's what Good Witch of the North tells me.

http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/figuren/c035.gif

Candy
2006-Jan-05, 07:37 AM
Indianapolis is a hard one, for me. How the heck did they decide how to name that "Indianapolis"? Coincidentally, it JUST happens to sound like Indiana, the state it's in... how strange is that?

Anyways, enough silliness from me. I might add that Indianapolis was pretty cool when I lived there for a couple years... Corydon was the first Capital of Indiana.

Indiana was the name given to the Indiana Territory by the United States Congress when Indiana was created from the Northwest Territory in 1800. It means "Land of Indians."

Indianapolis was literally "created" to be the Capital several years later (1820). Like most Capital's, it is in the center of the State. Indianapolis means City of Indiana. (http://www.thecityofindianapolis.com/) :D

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-05, 08:01 AM
City of Indiana? That explains it!

I never knew it could mean something like that!

Okay, seriously, this is the last of my silliness.

Candy
2006-Jan-05, 08:13 AM
Okay, seriously, this is the last of my silliness.
How's the weather in Texas? I had my sliding glass door open earlier. Then I got cold. I want heat! :boohoo:

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-05, 08:18 AM
How's the weather in Texas? I had my sliding glass door open earlier. Then I got cold. I want heat! :boohoo:

I like the cold. It gives me an excuse to fence with my large woolen black cloak on.

When in full fencing gear, with my all-black gear, I look like darth vader in that cloak. It's cool to fence in.

As for how Texas is, it's okay, I guess. Moderate weather for now.

Candy
2006-Jan-05, 08:26 AM
I like the cold. It gives me an excuse to fence with my large woolen black cloak on.

When in full fencing gear, with my all-black gear, I look like darth vader in that cloak. It's cool to fence in.

As for how Texas is, it's okay, I guess. Moderate weather for now.
For some odd reason, I'd like to see that. I know you have the photo posted, but the action part is somewhat fascinating. "Clang, clang, clang... stab..."

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-05, 08:29 AM
For some odd reason, I'd like to see that. I know you have the photo posted, but the action part is somewhat fascinating. "Clang, clang, clang... stab..."

Not really "clang". We're using those thin epees, so they're not that loud. Though I can't really think of a good-sounding word to use for it.

All I know is that when I stab my foe, it doesn't sound impressive, but it feels it. First thought in my head: "YES! I actually won!".

now I'm getting good enough againts my prime fencing partner, I'm thinking, "I won again! Woo!"

He's wisening up and learning new tricks, though. Old dogs CAN learn new tricks, and then nip the pup... *Loves his training master guy dude*.

Candy
2006-Jan-05, 08:36 AM
If I were filming you, I would put in the loud clangs for sound effect. :razz:

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-05, 08:45 AM
That's why I wouldn't let you film me.

Candy
2006-Jan-05, 08:49 AM
That's why I wouldn't let you film me. Mental note: keep stabbing part in with lots of blood! :p

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-05, 01:36 PM
Not really "clang". We're using those thin epees, so they're not that loud. Though I can't really think of a good-sounding word to use for it.
tchink ?

Maksutov
2006-Jan-05, 01:43 PM
I'd not be proud to be from a state with Gary in it! :)

(For the geographically challanged, Gary is an industrial city at the southernmost point of Lake Michigan - it's nasty, dingy, 'un-pretty', and last time I was there, stinks to high heaven)
Gary, Indiana, Gary, Indiana, Gary, Indiana,
Let me say it once again.
Gary, Indiana, Gary, Indiana, Gary, Indiana,
That's the town that knew me when... Hardly an "s" in there.

Gillianren
2006-Jan-05, 09:29 PM
tchink ?

Close. Also close is "click," at least when one uses the fiberglass blades once standard up here. (Apparently, the rules have changed so that you have to use metal ones. Clearly, it's a conspiracy to keep poor people from fighting!)

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-05, 10:19 PM
Close. Also close is "click," at least when one uses the fiberglass blades once standard up here. (Apparently, the rules have changed so that you have to use metal ones. Clearly, it's a conspiracy to keep poor people from fighting!)
I think it's because a fiberglass blade can break to make a point, where the metal blade either bends or breaks to a flat end.