PDA

View Full Version : On wearing black

DukePaul
2006-Jan-01, 01:23 PM
My everyday uniform is your basic black SWAT outfit and when I go home I seem to continue with the black attire. Now some of my friends think I have a "Neo" complex but I find that black is the most useful clothing color. Anything just about goes with it(except stripes and plaids). I think I am just being sensible but am I wrong?

Moose
2006-Jan-01, 01:30 PM
Is it wrong to wear plaid and polka dots?

How about forest green and lavender?

I occasionally wear white shoes after labor day.

Does it look good? Heh. Let me just say that forest green and lavender combined clashes loudly enough to signal ships.

Wrong? If it works for you, it's never wrong.

Maksutov
2006-Jan-01, 02:26 PM
If it's clean (within reason) and fits, it's wearable.

Doodler
2006-Jan-01, 02:43 PM
I like black clothes myself, mostly because its an easier to coordinate color than others. It can get a little oppressive in the summer though.

I do own and wear a pair of darker olive green slacks, and a few off green/brown plaid shirts that go with it. I call it my "Cubicle Camo" collection.

weatherc
2006-Jan-01, 02:46 PM
My everyday uniform is your basic black SWAT outfit and when I go home I seem to continue with the black attire. Now some of my friends think I have a "Neo" complex but I find that black is the most useful clothing color. Just about goes with it(except stripes and plaids). I think I am just being sensible but am I wrong?There's nothing wrong with wearing a lot of black, but I find that I almost never wear all black outfits. It's nearly impossible to match blacks properly (the shirt will be a lighter black than the pants, or the other way around, unless they both are part of a suit, and I HATE wearing suits). I'll often wear black and another color together, instead. Since black goes with everything, it's easy to match with almost any other color.

mickal555
2006-Jan-01, 04:07 PM
It's too hot to wear black stuff here....

LurchGS
2006-Jan-01, 04:47 PM
I rarely wear black at all. Nothing against it personally - it's just that all the white dog hair shows up really well, and is a pain to get off.

As far as 'style'... unless you are a lady going to the opera,or a sales person, who the heck cares? I'd *deliberately* mix stripes and prints if I could.

------

sometimes it's good to be color blind

Sammy
2006-Jan-01, 05:40 PM
I rarely wear black at all. Nothing against it personally - it's just that all the white dog hair shows up really well, and is a pain to get off.

As far as 'style'... unless you are a lady going to the opera,or a sales person, who the heck cares? I'd *deliberately* mix stripes and prints if I could.

------

sometimes it's good to be color blind

I have the same problem with our white and black cat. And she LOVES to lay on any item of clothing left on the bed -- like a homing missile with very rapid target acquisition.

hippietrekx
2006-Jan-01, 07:55 PM
Half of my clothes are black and the other half are a combination of red, blue, green, and khaki. I just pull out a shirt and a pair of pants out of the dresser, and they always coordinate! How great is that?

--hippie

Doodler
2006-Jan-01, 08:32 PM

I know your pain...fluffy white persian cat. That hair shows up on white!!

Gillianren
2006-Jan-01, 09:20 PM
D's a tabby; his fur shows up on everything. However, I do own quite a lot of black clothing, in no small part for the "don't have to worry about matching" thing. Large amounts of my ren faire wardrobe is monochrome, simply to make packing easy. (Grey, white, and black are our friends!)

teri tait
2006-Jan-01, 10:31 PM
I usually whatever I can scratch up...

Candy
2006-Jan-02, 02:19 AM
During my Purdue "Daze", my friend was looking through my closet. She said outloud, "Oh look, black, black, black, black, black, black. Why is everything in your closet black"? :lol:

I now wear brown, beige, black, red, pink, white, green... Dang, the only color I won't wear is blue, unless it is of jean material. Girls compliment me when I wear brown and black, and boys compliment me when I wear pink and red. :shifty:

I like boys in funky European sweaters and khaki's or jeans. I don't care for athletic shoes on a man, unless he's working out. I like the loafer shoe. Casual just looks nice and clean. :razz:

worzel
2006-Jan-02, 03:17 AM
I've been through phases - it makes life easier. Like my white t-shirt and blue jeans phase, my black t-shirt and blue jeans phase, my white t-shirt and black jeans phase, etc. etc. I did go throgh a black t-shirt and black jeans phase and for some reason that combination got a lot of comments about my dark mental state. I figured I was probably more sane than anyone who thought they could see into my soul by what I was wearing that year and thought no more of it.

PS I'm now in my "my girlfriend dresses me" phase, and will be for life I hope :)

jkmccrann
2006-Jan-03, 01:31 PM
Black is such a versatile colour that often when a new season rolls around, some fashionista will try and ram down our throats that `pink is the new black' or `brown is the new black' which reallly sheets home to me just how far black is ahead of all those wannabee colours that come and go like the wind.
Personally though, I don't wear that much black outside of my suits. A couple of black t-shirts about do me right, I tend to like a bit of colour up top, brown, blue, green, khaki, lots of variety, not too heavily defined by any single colour.

farmerjumperdon
2006-Jan-03, 04:20 PM
Black is my favorite. I think it goes with anything, including mixing shades of black, and with plaids and stripes as well (though not together - as in black with plaids with stripes).

My morning getting dressed routine goes like this: Black socks, black slacks, any shirt, black sweater and/or black jacket if needed, black shoes. When my jobs required wearing a suit, it was simply white shirt and any tie instead of any shirt.

I've always ignored casual day, colors of your team day, sports days, and most other wardrobe gimmicks. Clothing is utilitarian for me, to put that much thought into what to wear (especially at 5 AM) is too much. Every now and then someone will remind me in oh-so-cheery cheerleader fashion that I forgot to wear my green and gold (Packer territory). I usually just tell them in a very dry manner that I apologize for the colors of their team (thru which they have chosen to live so vicariously), not being the first thing or second thing or even the last thing on my mind each morning.

pumpkinpie
2006-Jan-03, 04:47 PM
I have to wear khaki pants as a uniform at work. My job is part office and part dealing with customers. I like to dress nicely, but it's hard to do in khaki day after day! There are days when I know I won't have to deal with customers, so I wear whatever I want. Also days that I know I spend a limited time with the public, so I keep a pair of khaki pants at work to change in to when I just don't want to wear khaki all day.

We also have a uniform shirt, but I hate wearing it because it's universal sizing--meaning a Small has to fit both men and women. Result: small is huge on me. I do have the option of wearing a uniform vest over a white shirt. So my wardrobe picking most mornings is: "what white shirt and khaki pants do I wear today?" Sometimes it's nice not having to think about it, but I've been doing it for a year and a half now and I'm quite sick of it.

For a while the uniform was either black or khaki pants, which allowed a little more variety. But no more! I have some shirts that just don't go with khaki, so I can't wear them to work very often.

worzel
2006-Jan-03, 11:53 PM
Like any self respecting IT man, I negotiated a no-uniform status for myself in an otherwise suited office :) Well hey, I might have to pick a cable up off the floor!

Hugh Jass
2006-Jan-04, 12:39 AM
'Black coat, white shoes, blackhat, cadillac
The boy's a time bomb" - Rancid

I don't normally pay attention to color. I suppose if I did I would lean toward dark neutral colors, black has no real special place, except for suits, I just like black.

Candy
2006-Jan-04, 05:42 AM
Like any self respecting IT man, I negotiated a no-uniform status for myself in an otherwise suited office :) Well hey, I might have to pick a cable up off the floor!
All the folks in our IT department wear jeans. It's like their uniform. They are management, they sit with management, but they just don't adhere to company policy. I sure do like that department. :razz:

Of course, starting next month, the current IT department gets outsourced to EDS in Canada. I think it's EDS. We will still have a smaller IT department (with a totally different name) for all the newer technologies. I hope to be on that team in 1 year. :dance:

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-04, 06:56 AM
My everyday uniform is your basic black SWAT outfit and when I go home I seem to continue with the black attire. Now some of my friends think I have a "Neo" complex but I find that black is the most useful clothing color. Anything just about goes with it(except stripes and plaids). I think I am just being sensible but am I wrong?

Not IMO. I wear black all the time. I do it because I generally look good in black, plus it's a fun thing to play on people.

When I graduate from College, I'm going to show up to Graduation in a pure white outfit with dyed pink hair (my hair right now is so dark brown, it's practically black).

Candy
2006-Jan-04, 07:56 AM
Not IMO. I wear black all the time. I do it because I generally look good in black, plus it's a fun thing to play on people.

When I graduate from College, I'm going to show up to Graduation in a pure white outfit with dyed pink hair (my hair right now is so dark brown, it's practically black).
You're agorphobic now what makes you sure you will change? I was agorphobic during early college years. I had to force myself out of it.

Gillianren
2006-Jan-04, 08:20 PM

At my alma mater, there's no requirement for caps and gowns. Only roughly half of graduates bother with them, though very few people skip graduation (it's too much fun). I dressed up in Elizabethan (well, I didn't get my hoops made in time), and my friend Jen dressed, as you're speculating about doing, in pure white--as the goddess Athena, essentially. Dr. Joycelyn Elders, our graduation speaker that year, complimented her outfit.

Monique
2006-Jan-05, 09:01 PM
My friend say I look good in short black dress. :)

DukePaul
2006-Jan-05, 10:24 PM
Every woman should have a LBD(little black dress).

Monique
2006-Jan-05, 10:51 PM
Every woman should have a LBD(little black dress).

agreed ;)

ToSeek
2006-Jan-05, 10:58 PM
All the folks in our IT department wear jeans. It's like their uniform. They are management, they sit with management, but they just don't adhere to company policy. I sure do like that department. :razz:

Of course, starting next month, the current IT department gets outsourced to EDS in Canada. I think it's EDS. We will still have a smaller IT department (with a totally different name) for all the newer technologies. I hope to be on that team in 1 year. :dance:

EDS is one of my company's competitors. :mad:

ToSeek
2006-Jan-05, 11:00 PM
My friend say I look good in short black dress. :)

Have got to get to the south of France sometime this year. ;)

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-05, 11:09 PM

I'll fight you for her.

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-05, 11:37 PM
I'll bring the popcorn for the rest of us.

ToSeek
2006-Jan-05, 11:37 PM
There's a young woman working downstairs from me whom I refer to as "Goth Girl" because I've never seen her wear any colors other than black, gray, or white. Very odd.

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-05, 11:40 PM
There's a young woman working downstairs from me whom I refer to as "Goth Girl" because I've never seen her wear any colors other than black, gray, or white. Very odd.

Wait...You work at my school?:D

There is an entire posse of Goth's at my school, I don't mind much, but it is odd.

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-06, 12:12 AM

I only wear black or dark grey.

I guess I'm odd ;)

Which I am, really, but I'm odd for other reasons than just deciding to wear black. A color preference should have nothing to do with how you treat or regard a person, outside of some extremes.

Monique
2006-Jan-06, 12:33 AM

I'll fight you for her.
I do not believe I make consent to be trophy :neutral:

:rolleyes:

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-06, 12:38 AM

Bah, then I'll fight to fight. I need fencing partners :P

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-06, 01:48 AM
Bah, then I'll fight to fight. I need fencing partners :P

Hungar!http://forums.relicnews.com/images/smiley/fencing.gif

(I think I butchered that spelling but you get what I mean)

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-06, 03:03 AM
It's "En Garde".

Enzp
2006-Jan-06, 06:24 AM
Yeah, but hungar sounds good too. Maybe we can adopt it. Allez cuisine!

I like to shop the clearance rack, so I have a lot of weird colors, like bright orange and day glow greeen. I like bright, cheerful, colorful. Paisley? In a heartbeat. Hawaiian surf shirt - hoo boy! I don't own a suit. I didn't have a suit when I buried my father and I didn't have one when I buried my mother. I can't think of anyone else I would care to honor more than them, so I doubt I will be getting one soon.

If you like black then wear it. Just don't let it become a thing. I often wonder if those girls who put purple in their hair every day don't feel a bit like slaves to it from time to time. Decades ago I wore a sweatshirt to class every single day my freshman year of college. The last week of spring term was very warm, and the sweatshirts became a bit uncomfortable, but I had convinced myself I HAD to make the entire year in sweats. Afterwards I thought how silly and was never again slave to my own ideas of fashion.

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-06, 09:39 AM
Black will only be "my thing" until they come out with a darker color.

ToSeek
2006-Jan-06, 10:06 PM

Quite right. And all I want to do is say "hi" (or bonjour, I suppose).

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-07, 05:43 AM
Yeah, but hungar sounds good too. Maybe we can adopt it.

Hey, I am all for it....:D

Sheesh...I REALLY killed that spelling, it is even separated, I am pitiful.:doh:

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-07, 05:47 AM
I am pitiful.:doh:

Yes. Yes you are.

Now go play. The adults are talking ;)

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-07, 05:58 AM
Yes. Yes you are.

Now go play. The adults are talking ;)

:rofl:

That was good :clap:

Hey, I am an adult in 10mo. to the day, how about that!:dance:

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-07, 06:03 AM
I'm technically an adult, even if I live with my mom and I'm not of legal age enough to be trusted with alcohol...

Titana
2006-Jan-07, 06:08 AM
I do not like the color black. Black seems like a very sad, dull, unvivid, scary color to me.....:eh:

I try to avoid the color black as much as i can.

Titana.

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-07, 06:09 AM
I'm not of legal age enough to be trusted with alcohol...

On Feb.28th you are, you lucky buck!

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-07, 06:10 AM
I do not like the color black. Black seems like a very sad, dull, unvivid, scary color to me.....:eh:

Titana.

LOL, make Lonewulf feel like a million bucks why don't ya!:razz:

Titana
2006-Jan-07, 06:12 AM
LOL, make Lonewulf feel like a million bucks why don't ya!:razz:

:lol: :lol:

Sorry Lonewulf......;)

Titana.

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-07, 06:13 AM

Titana.
Thanks. I <3 you too.

I like being scary, actually. Someone commented that on me during an SCA event. One of the mundanes (Y'know, as in, "non-SCAers") saw me during an SCA meeting that was combined with a Neighborhood Watch meeting. She commented that I looked very scary in my full fencing gear. I replied, "Why, thank you!"

I then found out that I couldn't be photographed and be in the local newspaper because black doesn't show up too well on film :(

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-07, 06:24 AM
I then found out that I couldn't be photographed and be in the local newspaper because black doesn't show up too well on film :(

Aww..bummer:boohoo:

I gota hit the sac guys, 1:24AM here, Talk to yeaw tomorrow.:)

Monique
2006-Jan-07, 06:26 AM

Titana.
I like to dress in black... people say I look sexy!! :)

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-07, 07:01 AM
I like to dress in black... people say I look sexy!! :)

Wouldn't be surprised.