PDA

View Full Version : The Make-Believe Channel

DukePaul
2006-Jan-02, 06:56 PM
I think it is high time for a channel devoted to the untrue, unbelieveable, patently false news and entertainment. If wants to believe in the Loch Ness monster, angels, psychic powers then please tune in here. I mean a channel that everyone knows is set up for the "new age"(I hate that term) crystal reading, tarot card loving, Zeta Reticulus groupies. Where the news is way out and incredible, the commercials are totally suspect but so what THIS IS The Make-believe Channel and we know everything is make-believe. Maybe just maybe the other channels will lose those fringe groups and start reporting on the real and empirical world. And yea I know it ain't going to happen. Just dreaming.

Wolverine
2006-Jan-02, 07:02 PM
With the exception of all the World War II programming, I think you've described The History Channel perfectly.

Gillianren
2006-Jan-03, 02:43 AM
I read Tarot cards, and I don't watch that drek.

soylentgreen
2006-Jan-05, 10:31 PM
I think it is high time for a channel devoted to the untrue, unbelieveable, patently false news and entertainment. If wants to believe in the Loch Ness monster, angels, psychic powers then please tune in here. I mean a channel that everyone knows is set up for the "new age"(I hate that term) crystal reading, tarot card loving, Zeta Reticulus groupies. Where the news is way out and incredible, the commercials are totally suspect but so what THIS IS The Make-believe Channel and we know everything is make-believe. Maybe just maybe the other channels will lose those fringe groups and start reporting on the real and empirical world. And yea I know it ain't going to happen. Just dreaming.

Remember when those mediums who spoke to dead people were all the rage(You might say those mediums were extra-large :o ..I just couldn't resist)? People went bananas for them and the biggest one was on the Sci-Fi Channel...The SCI-FI Channel!

I think people would flock to a channel like yours, Duke! You'll need diverse enough programming, though. A "Man Show"-like program with paranormal investigators who hunt scantily clad spectres in ghost town brothels, maybe.
How about a show called "Who wants to be a Cassandra?", where each night a new group of prophets comes on to attempt to convince the studio audience that their dire prediction of the apocalypse is the one that will happen first. The studio audience then votes and the winner comes back to face a new set of nihilistic upstarts.

I'd buy that for a dollar! ;)

With the exception of all the World War II programming, I think you've described The History Channel perfectly.

It wasn't always that way. :sad:
You just have to jump from niche channel to niche channel, now.
(I'm still pushing for a European Theater channel...all "The Drive To Berlin", all the time!)

Doodler
2006-Jan-05, 10:39 PM
Then what would FOX do for programming content?

Wolverine
2006-Jan-05, 11:07 PM
It wasn't always that way. :sad:

I know, and it's disheartening. They ignored my letters for two years, so I gave up on pursuing the matter.

Dave Mitsky
2006-Jan-09, 06:29 AM
If you want to talk broadcast radio, Coast To Coast AM fits that description perfectly.

Dave Mitsky

Maksutov
2006-Jan-09, 07:34 AM
Remember when those mediums who spoke to dead people were all the rage(You might say those mediums were extra-large :o ..I just couldn't resist)?Uh oh! Madame What'shername's gonna get you for that one! BTW, just in case you wonder why you don't hear from Madame Bell anymore. (http://jebzingo.tripod.com/psychics/youneversee.html)

I think people would flock to a channel like yours, Duke! You'll need diverse enough programming, though. A "Man Show"-like program with paranormal investigators who hunt scantily clad spectres in ghost town brothels, maybe.That is a GREAT idea! Maybe we could get Adam and Jimmy to make a comeback, and, for the late, great Fox, we could get a real Fox executive. Of course all the piano playing, singing, and witty remarks would then have to be dubbed. "The Juggies" of course would renamed "The Ghost Busters" and do their thing wearing bustiers and little else.

The "Wheel of Destiny" would be the same bit, except the contestant would have to predict where the pointer would end up, and if wrong, well, decorum prevents me...

How about a show called "Who wants to be a Cassandra?", where each night a new group of prophets comes on to attempt to convince the studio audience that their dire prediction of the apocalypse is the one that will happen first. The studio audience then votes and the winner comes back to face a new set of nihilistic upstarts.Excellent. I propose there be two contestant categories: those whose EOTW predictions are way off in the future (audience vote), and those whose predictions lay within the show's production season. These prophets would be brought back to the show after the predicted date and razzed, hazed, and gone over something fierce, as they supplied their usual apologies, rationalizations, and other lame excuses.

I'd buy that for a dollar! ;)...Heck, I'd even pay the tax, too! On with the show!