PDA

View Full Version : Cosmic Dust

Sloantbone
2006-Jan-02, 09:39 PM
If about an inch of cosmic dust falls on the earth every year. than how come on the moon after 3 billion years the cosmic lunar dust only appears to be only one half inch deep?

Can you explain what happened to all that dust? Or did the wind blow it away?:neutral:

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-02, 09:50 PM
If about an inch of cosmic dust falls on the earth every year.

Sorry but it's more like roughly 1,000 tons of cosmic dust, that's means their is no way that an inch could cover earth.

As for you question, I could take a poke at it if no one responds to your thread, but I would rather let Bob or someone else give you an accurate answer.

EDIT: Bob is missing an L, my mistake Blob, sorry!:D

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-02, 10:21 PM
Well, nothing else to do so I guess I will give it a try...

The surface of the moon is composed of debris (dust and rocks), which is probably from 40 to 60 feet deep and consists of rocks of varying size mixed with dust.

People often think that because when we walked on earth we only sank one inch into the surface, that must be all thats their, but because of the low gravy and relatively low weight of humans, this is simply not the case.

Any challengers to this? If I got any of this wrong let me know.

Jakenorrish
2006-Jan-02, 10:24 PM
Sloantbone, from your question, I'll save you the hassle of linking it in with your Moon hoax one on the CT section of this forum.

Whilst the following is a bit long, you should read it when you get time, as well as the reports of the other Surveyor missions. Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19690027073_1969027073.pdf

The Bad Astronomer
2006-Jan-02, 11:26 PM
Try this web page (http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/moon-dust.html). It answers this specific question.

I'll do a little "ounce of prevention" here as well, given your other post about the Moon hoax: we have seen many arguments about the "young Earth" and the "Moon hoax". These arguments are invariably wrong, and in fact have been debunked ages ago, dozens of times. You should strongly consider doing some research first before posting again.

Jakenorrish
2006-Jan-02, 11:37 PM
Nice one BA, was looking for something like that - obviously didn't look hard enough!!

Superluminal
2006-Jan-03, 05:21 AM
DragonHeart said, [Because of the low gravy].

Gravy on the moon, I thought it was cheese.

Enzp
2006-Jan-03, 06:27 AM
Cheese is better with gravy, espacially low gravy.

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-03, 09:17 PM
DragonHeart said, [Because of the low gravy].

Gravy on the moon, I thought it was cheese.

Because you got my name wrong:rolleyes: , that obviously does not apply to me.

GRAVITY...better?

I can't help it, I make TyPo's....

aurora
2006-Jan-03, 09:18 PM
Also, there have been unmanned landers on the Moon, both US and Russian, before the Apollo landings. Those landers didn't sink in the dust.

Or, if the reason for the question is related to a "young earth", the link the BA provided answers that. Creationist groups have mostly backed away from using lunar dust as an explanation for a young universe.