PDA

View Full Version : Bad Astronomy in Second Rate Charlie Sheen Movies

Dickenmeyer
2003-Feb-16, 04:48 AM
So I was watching THE CHASE on HBO tonight...I know, I know even Charlie himself wouldn't consider this to be one of his top ten movies but I had to see Henry Rollins playing the cop chasing him again. Henry rocks and his spoken word act is really, really funny but by his own admission he can't act a lick. Anyway, during what is perhaps the most implausible of a long string of implausible scenes, when CS and Kristy Swanson are getting it on in the driver's seat of this tiny BMW while speeding down the freeway towards Tijuana, one can clearly see the big red sun setting BEHIND the car. Now unless Messrs. Rand and McNally made serious errors in the atlas I purchased from them TJ is South of the Greater United States metro area and any sun setting should only have been visible through the passenger window, not the rear. Has Hollywood learned nothing from THE GREEN BERETS? Other than not to cast Sulu opposite Duke Wayne, of course.

aporetic_r
2003-Feb-16, 05:02 AM
Where was the bad astronomy in The Green Berets?

Aporetic

Dickenmeyer
2003-Feb-16, 05:13 AM
On 2003-02-16 00:02, aporetic_r wrote:
Where was the bad astronomy in The Green Berets?

Aporetic

At the very end of the movie there is the infamous scene of John Wayne and the little Vietnamese kid walking on the beach as the sun sinks into the Pacific...uh, somebody forgot to tell the continuity editor that Vietnam only has an EAST coast and the sun sets over land.

kilopi
2003-Feb-16, 05:15 AM
On 2003-02-15 23:48, Dickenmeyer wrote:
one can clearly see the big red sun setting BEHIND the car. Now unless Messrs. Rand and McNally made serious errors in the atlas I purchased from them TJ is South of the Greater United States metro area and any sun setting should only have been visible through the passenger window, not the rear.
My name is kilopi and I've seen this movie

But I don't remember the exact details about the Sun. The road from San Diego to Mexico is not due south, tends more easterly, and it does wind some--and in the summer, the Sun sets almost thirty degrees to the north of west...so it could happen, I think.

Dickenmeyer
2003-Feb-16, 05:20 AM
On 2003-02-16 00:15, kilopi wrote:

one can clearly see the big red sun setting BEHIND the car. Now unless Messrs. Rand and McNally made serious errors in the atlas I purchased from them TJ is South of the Greater United States metro area and any sun setting should only have been visible through the passenger window, not the rear.

But I don't remember the exact details about the Sun. The road from San Diego to Mexico is not due south, tends more easterly, and it does wind some--and in the summer, the Sun sets almost thirty degrees to the north of west...so it could happen, I think.

Perhaps we should start a support group for watchers of Charlie Sheen movies. Or almost any Sheen/Estevez movies when it comes right to it....
Point taken on that seasons thing though, that could make a big difference.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dickenmeyer on 2003-02-16 00:22 ]</font>

g99
2003-Feb-16, 05:25 AM
Hey i liked the Hot Shots movies. But then again that does show my bad taste in movies. I liked Kung Pow: Enter the Fist:-)

Dickenmeyer
2003-Feb-16, 05:39 AM
On 2003-02-16 00:25, g99 wrote:
Hey i liked the Hot Shots movies. But then again that does show my bad taste in movies. I liked Kung Pow: Enter the Fist:-)

(Hanging head in shame) I like HUDSON HAWK too... I watch it almost every time I can when it's on cable. I haven't purchased it though, I don't know if I could look the cashier in the eye.

SeanF
2003-Feb-17, 02:08 PM
On 2003-02-16 00:25, g99 wrote:

You know, I never saw Kung Pow, but I've got all of Steve O's "thumbation" movies.

Hmm, maybe I should toss in Thumb Wars and check for any Bad Astronomy . . . /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

"Go back to the tent!"
"Oh, yeah, the tent's safe! Nothing could possibly get through the nylon!"
--The Blair Thumb

calliarcale
2003-Feb-18, 05:38 PM
On 2003-02-16 00:15, kilopi wrote:

If we were talking about bad *geography* in movies, we'd be here all year. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif (We probably will be here all year anyway, but that's beside the point!)

kilopi
2003-Feb-19, 01:48 PM
Dickenmeyer was making a point about astronomy, but it may have been resolved by geography.