Titana.

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-04, 08:01 PM
Ummm...Magic?

:doh:

:D

NEOWatcher
2006-Jan-04, 08:11 PM
Boy that's incredible. I wouldn't be able to switch languages like that.

Oh; you mean the illusions. My guess is some sort of slight of hand and misdirection. There was a lot of stuff going on before each illusion.

Candy
2006-Jan-04, 08:11 PM
I'm still loading the video (dial-up modem). :whistle:

pghnative
2006-Jan-04, 08:21 PM
Only watched the first one, where he places his right hand over a coin on top of a glass table, and "transfers" the coin to his left hand on the other side of the glass.

My guess is that the large watchband on the left hand is key to producing a coin in that hand. Disappearance of the coin on top is easy -- notice that he never reveals the palm of his right hand. Also, he almost immediately curls the middle, ring and pinkie fingers of his right hand --- almost certainly done to hold on to the coin while he gestures toward the left hand.

A very well done illusion.

Titana
2006-Jan-04, 08:21 PM
Boy that's incredible. I wouldn't be able to switch languages like that.

Oh; you mean the illusions. My guess is some sort of slight of hand and misdirection. There was a lot of stuff going on before each illusion.

Well, i did not understand anything they were saying either...:lol:

I first thought of some kind a camera trick, but the camera is on the guy during the whole time .....:confused:

Titana
2006-Jan-04, 08:23 PM
Only watched the first one, where he places his right hand over a coin on top of a glass table, and "transfers" the coin to his left hand on the other side of the glass.

My guess is that the large watchband on the left hand is key to producing a coin in that hand. Disappearance of the coin on top is easy -- notice that he never reveals the palm of his right hand. Also, he almost immediately curls the middle, ring and pinkie fingers of his right hand --- almost certainly done to hold on to the coin while he gestures toward the left hand.

Humm could be....

Titana.

Candy
2006-Jan-04, 08:26 PM
I'm at 61% and still buffering. This better be good. :shifty:

:D

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-04, 08:26 PM
The salt shaker is what got me..., funny how the people behind him were watching behind his hand, but it was hidden to the camera the actual transition...:eh:

Titana
2006-Jan-04, 08:27 PM
True what about the second object he uses? It is certainly kind a huge to have in his watchband....

Titana.

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-04, 08:36 PM
Either a sliding panel, or pghnative's explanation. Mine was a bit less plausible, since a "sliding panel" in a glass table would be obvious and visible. Though it WOULD explain the salt shaker...

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-04, 08:38 PM
Either a sliding panel, or pghnative's explanation. Mine was a bit less plausible, since a "sliding panel" in a glass table would be obvious and visible. Though it WOULD explain the salt shaker...

I bet your right on that one..

What about the 2 girls and the in-between trick?

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-04, 08:41 PM
Could still be a sliding panel, couldn't it? I'm pretty sure the girls were part of the act. They looked similar (I think?) to the girls in his other display, which I displayed a link to.

http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=35159

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-04, 08:45 PM
:eek: Remember when he slid her hand over? Hmm...but I could have sworn that the reflection on that glass was perfect....I will give it to him, he did a damn good job with this.:clap:

pghnative
2006-Jan-04, 08:51 PM
True what about the second object he uses? It is certainly kind a huge to have in his watchband....
Yeah, the salt shaker trick is tough to figure out. I noticed that his sleeves were rolled down for that trick, whereas they weren't rolled down for the first trick, so it tells me that the sleeves are somehow important to pulling off the second trick.

Titana
2006-Jan-04, 08:53 PM
I'm pretty sure the girls were part of the act. They looked similar (I think?) to the girls in his other display, which I displayed a link to.

True, the girls do look kind a similar in both videos.

Titana.

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-04, 08:58 PM
Oh common', they are all oriental, they all look the same! (not trying to poke fun here)

Candy
2006-Jan-04, 09:01 PM
Awesome, and I haven't got a clue how these were done. I thought I did, until he started going through the glass with the salt shaker. :think:

I love the perfect English slipped into their everyday talk. Cool.

NEOWatcher
2006-Jan-04, 09:04 PM
first trick: I think the coin was palmed when he passed his hand over it when he was explaining it.

Salt shaker? Obvious there is some misdirection, otherwise why so much being done with the pepper. If the girls are in on it, then the shakers could somehow be collapsable.
I think the sliding glass ideas is out because there are other things on the table when that happens. Although, the table does have a non-glass area that it can slide into.

pghnative
2006-Jan-04, 09:05 PM
....What about the 2 girls and the in-between trick?Plenty of camera cuts during the final trick as compared to no camera cuts during the first two tricks.

If you assume that the whole crowd is part of the "illusion", then all you need to do is cut filming, swap the glass on the table with one having an embedded coin, then continue filming..

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-04, 09:09 PM
first trick: I think the coin was palmed when he passed his hand over it when he was explaining it.

Salt shaker? Obvious there is some misdirection, otherwise why so much being done with the pepper. If the girls are in on it, then the shakers could somehow be collapsable.

I think not, it had salt in it.

:wall: I gota stop, I am going to blow up if I don't.

NEOWatcher
2006-Jan-04, 09:18 PM
I think not, it had salt in it.

:wall: I gota stop, I am going to blow up if I don't.
It only "looked" like it had salt in it. The only other explanation I have is that the glass is really a force field. But if you believe that, there's a lot of other ST technobabble that can explain it.

No matter how, it is impressive.

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-05, 12:04 AM
First one, coin through glass, how I'd do it.
Feel free to follow on the video.

He carefully selects a coin from the girl similar to a trick one he already has, the camera zooms in on his right hand, conveniently ignoring the left.

While he's distracting everyone by flourishing the one he got from the girl with his right hand, his left is placing two coins, one on each side of the glass, held together magnetically.

The camera zooms out to show both hands, the left now in a carefully relaxed pose covering the double coin.

He drop the borrowed coin in the table, establishing that the table's good, then turns it over1 so it's the same side up as the one under his left hand.

The first sweep of his left hand transposes his own for the borrowed, getting rid of that one is simple.

Zoom in, and you don't notice that there are two coins, as the lower is seen as a reflection of the upper.

A simple palm takes the upper coin away revealing the lower, magically moved through the table, pointing at it helps to hide the upper coin.

1) turning the coin over triggered me on the solution.

Candy
2006-Jan-05, 12:07 AM
Do the salt shaker, though! :shifty:

pghnative
2006-Jan-05, 12:24 AM
Do the salt shaker, though! :shifty:The position of his sleeves has to be integral to the salt shaker trick. Notice that the sleeves are up for the coin trick, but are down for the salt shaker. This is unlikely to be an accident. He likely needs the sleeves to cover up for something.

Candy
2006-Jan-05, 12:29 AM
The position of his sleeves has to be integral to the salt shaker trick. Notice that the sleeves are up for the coin trick, but are down for the salt shaker. This is unlikely to be an accident. He likely needs the sleeves to cover up for something.
Okay, but he took it from her fingers (through glass).

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-05, 12:47 AM
The pulling and apparently holding the shaker throught the glass is the is the easy bit, note the iron rod through the shaker.
Unless you've tried playing with them you probably have no idea just how powerful Neodymium-Iron-Boron (http://www.wondermagnet.com/) magnets are.

I know I probably shouldn't post a link to someone selling the stuff, but they gave me quite a lot of fun, as well as the means to make a couple of very handy tools.

Titana
2006-Jan-05, 12:59 AM
The pulling and apparently holding the shaker throught the glass is the is the easy bit, note the iron rod through the shaker.
Unless you've tried playing with them you probably have no idea just how powerful Neodymium-Iron-Boron (http://www.wondermagnet.com/) magnets are.

I know I probably shouldn't post a link to someone selling the stuff, but they gave me quite a lot of fun, as well as the means to make a couple of very handy tools.

That link was interesting. This part in particular:

One of the most fun and interesting science experiments around. Ferrofluid is a magnetic liquid that takes the shape of any magnetic field applied to it, and changes in density (it gets thicker) in a magnetic field. It's an AMAZING tool for visualizing magnetic fields in three dimensions! With a bottle of ferrofluid and some strong magnets, you'll be set for hours of fun experiments and demonstrations.

Titana.

Titana
2006-Jan-05, 01:21 AM
Looking at the video once again i did figure out how he did that coin trick.
It was just as (HenrikOlsen) had mentioned. Also if you notice when he takes his hand off of the table his fingers are bent (as if he was holding the coin) and he does not unbend them until he gets his hand on his leg.

And as for the saltshaker the only thing i do notice is he does pull it out by holding onto the iron rod that goes through it..

Titana.

tofu
2006-Jan-05, 01:55 AM
What about the 2 girls and the in-between trick?

I've had dreams like that.

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-05, 02:00 AM

Bad Tofu! Bad! *Whaps Tofu in the head with a newspaper*

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-05, 02:00 AM

tofu gets a Cookie for being the first person to get the true intentions for my post...:D

Sam5
2006-Jan-05, 02:38 AM

Right. 2 coins. Note that he pressed his right palm down hard on the coin on top of the glass. He picked it up as he revealed the same kind of coin in his left hand under the glass.

2006-Jan-05, 03:26 AM
I'd do the salt shaker by having a rigged table with a glass top that slides, and confederates seated there. It might be kind of dumb looking, with two glass panels and an additional short unglassed portion that doesn't really work furniture design-wise. I'd have rearrangeable objects on the glass that can be fixed so they don't move, making you assume the top never moves, too. I'd put my left hand on the apparent edge of the glass, near the hole, and slide the glass (and covered hole) over to where the salt shaker will be passed. After pulling it through, I'd awkwardly hold my left arm over the path the hole will take back to its hiding place.

Seems like he did the same.

Titana
2006-Jan-05, 03:55 AM
Bad Tofu! Bad! *Whaps Tofu in the head with a newspaper*

:lol: :lol:

Titana.

snarkophilus
2006-Jan-05, 06:47 AM
Those are very nice indeed! I may have to steal that shaker one.... *prepares for a thousand hours of gruelling practice*

There's no trick to the table except that maybe the glass is double-paned (not sure if that's what happened at the very end -- if so, it's no secret, and if not I've just misunderstood what happened when she pulled her fingers along the bottom of the glass). It's certainly not an issue with the shaker effect, or the first coin one. In fact, you could do something really neat on the second coin one even with single-paned glass.

He probably actually used the coin he took from the girl (it would be really effective if he had her initial it or something), but I can't tell for sure.
There's no reason not to do so. There's a way to do it without a second coin, but I think he had one. I think you're right that there is a magnet involved, though it's really not necessary... it's just easier and often makes it look more polished. Watch the reflection in the table as he takes his hand away after making the coin go through.

The shaker's completely ordinary. You don't really want to know how it's done. Enjoy the magic of it! :D

(As an aside, I really liked the Japanese... I've been slowly learning it, and it's nice to hear common phrases in a setting I understand. It's an avenue for learning I'd never considered before. Woo hoo!)

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-05, 06:53 AM
The shaker's completely ordinary. You don't really want to know how it's done. Enjoy the magic of it! :D

I'm sorry, this isn't true. I prefer to know how a trick is done than be "awed" at someone tricking me. If you don't want to explain the trick, then fine, but I suggest you at least PM me the answer.

I never "enjoy the magic" of anything.

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-05, 01:10 PM
I've found that after figuring out how a magic trick is done, it's even better, as that makes me better appreciate the skill needed to make it work.

Right. 2 coins. Note that he pressed his right palm down hard on the coin on top of the glass. He picked it up as he revealed the same kind of coin in his left hand under the glass.
The pressing is misdirection.
He picks it up between index and little finger, covered with middle and ring at 2:20-2:22.

For the glass one, that requires the correct camera angle.
As he pulls the shaker out of hiding behind his left hand, he's careful to move it so it covers the one still under the table.
After presenting it, he turns his left hand so it's in line with the shaker underneath, again the camera zooms in at the wrong time:(, he moves his arm around so he can move the shaker still underneath out of the way and drop it.
Incidentally, I think this is the trick where he uses the wristband.

farmerjumperdon
2006-Jan-05, 03:12 PM
I'm sorry, this isn't true. I prefer to know how a trick is done than be "awed" at someone tricking me. If you don't want to explain the trick, then fine, but I suggest you at least PM me the answer.

I never "enjoy the magic" of anything.

I'm with you.

My real enjoyment is finding out how the tricks are done. The "magic" is entertaining to be sure, but as soon as it is finished I jump immediately to the more rewarding activity of trying to figure it out. I'd bet most people on this board have a similar perspective on magic.

tofu
2006-Jan-05, 03:15 PM

So, does that mean that everyone in the audience was in on it? Because, some of them were not at the correct angle.

snarkophilus
2006-Jan-05, 04:53 PM
I've found that after figuring out how a magic trick is done, it's even better, as that makes me better appreciate the skill needed to make it work.
Then you are a rare type of person.

Not quite. He successfully does it with everyone around him, and you can see that almost all of them react. It can be done without showing anyone at all, and although maybe one or two people will have seen what really happened, the reactions of the others will have convinced them that they saw wrong, and that it really was magic!

Grey
2006-Jan-05, 04:55 PM
The position of his sleeves has to be integral to the salt shaker trick. Notice that the sleeves are up for the coin trick, but are down for the salt shaker. This is unlikely to be an accident. He likely needs the sleeves to cover up for something.Yup. And he's relying on you remembering that he explicitly pulled them back and showed you he had nothing in them for the coin trick, and then not noticing that they were back down later.

Titana
2006-Jan-05, 05:21 PM
So, does that mean that everyone in the audience was in on it? Because, some of them were not at the correct angle.

Well, i do think that at least the the girls were in on it....(i think)...:confused:

Titana.

Sam5
2006-Jan-05, 05:35 PM
I don't see how he had room under his small left hand to hide a second tall salt shaker. It didn't look like two to me. It looked like one going through a hole in the glass, with his left hand hiding the hole, but I don't know where the hole came from or where it went.

snarkophilus
2006-Jan-05, 05:50 PM
I don't see how he had room under his small left hand to hide a second tall salt shaker. It didn't look like two to me. It looked like one going through a hole in the glass, with his left hand hiding the hole, but I don't know where the hole came from or where it went.

That is because that is what it it supposed to look like, and he is a professional. :D But do you really, rationally, believe he pulled the thing through the glass?

The struggle to answer that is why magic is so great!

Sam5
2006-Jan-05, 07:00 PM
That is because that is what it it supposed to look like, and he is a professional. :D But do you really, rationally, believe he pulled the thing through the glass?

I think he pulled it through a hole in the glass, but I don't know how the hole got there.

You might notice that while his left hand covers the hole, his right hand reaches in to grasp the salt shaker. The girl is holding the salt shaker a little to far to the right, and she slowly moves it a little too the left where he grasps it, then she lets it go of it and he slowly pulls it up through the hole.

But how the hole got there and where it went to afterwards, I don't know.

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-05, 08:55 PM
Most if the audience is so far away that they can't see anything directly, due to reflections in the glass surface.
I'd guess they had monitors set up so they could see the camera's view, to get reaction shots.

If you notice, when it looks like he's pulling the shaker through, the shaker below the table isn't actually moving at all, his left hand is moving closer to the camera while he's tilting the upper shaker upwards so it looks like he's getting more and more of it through.

No holes in the glass. To figure out how a trick like this is done start with that as a given, until you've found very compelling reasons for expexting a trick table.

pghnative
2006-Jan-05, 10:50 PM
The position of his sleeves has to be integral to the salt shaker trick. Notice that the sleeves are up for the coin trick, but are down for the salt shaker. This is unlikely to be an accident. He likely needs the sleeves to cover up for something.
Yup. And he's relying on you remembering that he explicitly pulled them back and showed you he had nothing in them for the coin trick, and then not noticing that they were back down later.
As a followup, note that at 3:18 he has the salt and pepper shakers in his left hand, and his sleeves are halfway from wrist to elbow. At that point, the view changes to a closeup of one of the women, though the shakers are still visible as is part of his left hand (for ~ 1 second). At 3:21 the view changes back, and the shakers are on the table, and the sleeves rolled down.

So clearly the video was edited. At 3:20, the shakers are still visible in the hand. It is extraordinarily improbable that he could have set the shakers down silently and pulled down at least one sleeve in under one second. I suppose, this could have just been edited for time constraints. (at 3:18 he was asking the woman's name -- perhaps the conversation digressed, and this was edited out of the show). Or it could have been deliberate, in order to set up the next trick.

Nicolas
2006-Jan-05, 10:52 PM
If he's working with 2 salt shakers, where did the bottom one go?

And what about the in-between dream, I mean trick? :)

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-05, 10:53 PM

:shifty::whistle:

Titana
2006-Jan-05, 11:44 PM
And what about the in-between dream, I mean trick?

Hummm???.....:think:

Titana...

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-05, 11:54 PM
If he's working with 2 salt shakers, where did the bottom one go?
Dropped to the floor, you can actually hear it land at 5:03 if you listen carefully.

I'll go with the previously suggested double layer of glass.

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-05, 11:59 PM
Then you are a rare type of person.

I doubt it. There's more skeptics in the world than you seem to think. Also, there is a great number of skeptics on this forum. Skeptics are very unlikely to just accept a magic trick as "magic" and move on.

Then again, maybe your generalization of how everyone (or just the majority) is completely correct. I dunno, I only have anecdotal information, and I"m pretty sure, so do you.

cjl
2006-Jan-06, 12:10 AM
I too prefer (and enjoy) learning how the trick is done, and my true enjoyment and appreciation for a trick comes after I realize how it was done.

cjl
2006-Jan-06, 12:21 AM
Found a plausible explanation through googling :

This one was a bit more subtle, and my explanation only works if the girls in the room with him were in on the trick (which is often what tv magicians do, to make you more likely to buy the trick).

First thing, the salt and pepper shakers are clearly plants. He pretends to look around for a while, but you can tell he was always going for the shakers when he eventually does pick them. Also notice that the shaker is relatively narrow.

Notice that his sleeves are rolled up until ~1:59, at which point his left sleeve is magically down around his wrist again. Somewhere between then and 2:20 he puts another shaker up his sleeve, probably in some sort of brace.

What he does is pretend to put his hand through the table, but what he actually does is just bend his fingers under his hand. Then using another magnet, he takes control of the shaker.

At this point he has control of the shaker, so then he uses a trick of perspective to make it seem like it is rising up. All he does is change it's angle relative to the table and drag it towards himself, and cover up the end we can see with his hand to make it seem like it is passing through the table.

All he does next is continue to hide the shaker with his left hand, while he pulls out the dummy shaker which is hidden in his sleeve and hand (which is actually a clear rubber or flexible shaker, with a glass bottom). Once he has the shaker under the table sufficiently hidden between the camera and his arm ( note how he swings his arm around at ~3:38 to cover the original shaker), he pulls out the rest of the rubber shaker in one motion while dropping the real shaker in such a way that from the cameras perspective you can't see it fall.

The real clincher is when at the very end he drops the dummy shaker: it lands with the sharp noise you'd expect from dropping glass on glass, but wobbles slightly as it comes to rest ;)