PDA

View Full Version : question

William_Thompson
2006-Jan-04, 11:57 PM
If white wine goes with fish, do white grapes go with sushi?

:)

Hugh Jass
2006-Jan-05, 12:09 AM
No, saki goes with sushi, there fore rice goes with sushi.

William_Thompson
2006-Jan-05, 12:14 AM
No, saki goes with sushi, there fore rice goes with sushi.
...but graps are raw and rice is cooked. So, logically, white grapes would go with sushi since white wine goes with cooked fish.

Hugh Jass
2006-Jan-05, 12:29 AM
ah, but it is in the relation you’re question is asking.

fermented grapes are to cooked fish as non-fermented grapes are to raw fish.
But it is more complicated than that as it's sushi in the question, not just raw fish, it is raw fish with rice in a Japanese style. So with cooked fish in a Japanese restaurant I get some sake, fermented rice, so with Sushi I get unfermented rice, good thing it comes that way.

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-05, 12:36 AM
As Hugh Jass said, it is not the fish that makes it sushi, it's the rice.

William_Thompson
2006-Jan-05, 12:37 AM
But not all sushi comes with rice. That famous blow fish sushi that is the most expensive does not. Also some sushi served in the most expensive restarant on earth (the sushi restaurant on Rodeo Drive in Hollywood) comes in a cup just like grapes would.

I cannot believe we are debating a joke, by the way. BTW, I am curious -- did you know it was a joke?

William_Thompson
2006-Jan-05, 12:38 AM
As Hugh Jass said, it is not the fish that makes it sushi, it's the rice.
Are you sure? I can remember seeing the blow fish sushi carved in decorative patterns on a plate and I did not see any rice around.

Hugh Jass
2006-Jan-05, 12:41 AM
of course I knew it was a joke, but I can't believe your surprised anything on this forum wouldn't get debated.
BTW raw fish by itself is generally termed sashimi, but I would still say, since it is in a Japanese theme it goes with unfermented rice. Now if it were “raw fish” in an Italian restaurant I would have to concede.

Obviousman
2006-Jan-05, 12:45 AM
Fish? Yuk.

Meat and potatoes for me.

Rump steak - yum!

Swift
2006-Jan-05, 04:02 AM
But not all sushi comes with rice. That famous blow fish sushi that is the most expensive does not. Also some sushi served in the most expensive restarant on earth (the sushi restaurant on Rodeo Drive in Hollywood) comes in a cup just like grapes would.

I cannot believe we are debating a joke, by the way. BTW, I am curious -- did you know it was a joke?
I know it was a joke, but it's fun to beat a joke to death. :D
Actually, all sushi does come with rice. If there is no rice, it is Sashimi.
And wine isn't cooked either, so it almost as "raw" as grapes.

Grapes are to sashimi, as wine is to fermented-but-un-cooked fish?
There are a variety of fish dishes where the fish is not cooked over heat, but "chemically" cooked in things like vinegar, for example, pickled herring.

paulie jay
2006-Jan-05, 04:10 AM
White wine, red wine, we all know the truth...

"...Things Go Better With Coke"

:)

LurchGS
2006-Jan-05, 06:24 AM
eeeeew!

Having advanced in philosophy beyond some of my forum-mates, I can stand in my lofty tower and pontificate. Soda is for barbarians. Wine is for the placid. Orange Juice is for dinner, but water is best of all.

(spoken as an ex addict)

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-05, 06:27 AM
I love soda too much. I'm trying to get off of it.

LurchGS
2006-Jan-05, 06:37 AM
heh - I used to drink a case of Pepsi (a case, yeah. 24 cans) or more a day. I quit cold-turkey.

The next day, a ship ran aground on my (communications) watch. All through the case, all I could think of was Jeff Briges.

(the ship saved itself, even though it put a 10-foot gash in the hull at the main hold)

Candy
2006-Jan-05, 08:54 AM
I like beer with my sushi. Asahi, Kirin, Suntory and/or Sapporo - it's all good!

Funny, the grocery store has a "really small" section for sushi. I usually stop on my way home from work and pick up a platter. I grab three cans of beer, too. :razz:

Candy
2006-Jan-05, 08:56 AM
Why are there so many missing letters in the above posts. :think:

TriangleMan
2006-Jan-05, 11:58 AM
I've heard that, in the absence of sake, you should have champagne with sushi instead of white wine.

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-05, 01:58 PM
I know it was a joke, but it's fun to beat a joke to death. :D
Actually, all sushi does come with rice. If there is no rice, it is Sashimi.
And wine isn't cooked either, so it almost as "raw" as grapes.

Grapes are to sashimi, as wine is to fermented-but-un-cooked fish?
Surströmming (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surstr%C3%B6mming)

farmerjumperdon
2006-Jan-05, 02:10 PM
White wine with most fish, cooked or not, with rice or not, sushi or sashimi, on Rodeo Drive or in Peoria, and so on and so forth.

Wine is to fish as, . . . wine is to beef.

pumpkinpie
2006-Jan-05, 02:25 PM
I love soda too much. I'm trying to get off of it.

Why, if you love it so much? It's not killing you, is it? Pop is the one thing I could never give up. I could cut out of my diet any of my other loves/vices if forced to--pizza, french fries, chocolate, sweets. But not pop. :D

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-05, 09:30 PM
Why, if you love it so much? It's not killing you, is it?

Define "killing". I'm very unhealthy, I'm overweight, and I'm getting too much sugar into my body (which could lead to diabetes). I don't want that, so I quit soda.

Pop is the one thing I could never give up. I could cut out of my diet any of my other loves/vices if forced to--pizza, french fries, chocolate, sweets. But not pop. :D

Then it's my problem, not yours

Enzp
2006-Jan-06, 06:50 AM
Ah, drink the diet soda, no sugar there, and you can get it without caffiene to boot. How can you drink a case of soda? I can't drink that much of anything in a day. I buy a 44 ounce fountain drink most days, and I often do not finish that even, let alone 288 ounces. Of course around here we drink pop, not soda.

I'm with Candy, I like beer with sushi. Plus you can quaff beer. I never felt comfortable quaffing wine.

ToSeek
2006-Jan-06, 03:25 PM
Why are there so many missing letters in the above posts. :think:

The latest shipment to the forum was late - my bad, I should have ordered from the alphabet supply store sooner due to the Christmas rush. A moderator's work is never done....

Hugh Jass
2006-Jan-06, 07:34 PM
Of course around here we drink pop, not soda.

I've always loved this difference. I've wanted to try and make a map of the US where the geographical seperations for these terms. I've always used coke as a generic term for all sodas.

Doodler
2006-Jan-06, 07:48 PM
I've always loved this difference. I've wanted to try and make a map of the US where the geographical seperations for these terms. I've always used coke as a generic term for all sodas.

Some buncha entymologists did a partial list I saw ages ago. Don't know if it ever made it to the Internet or not.

farmerjumperdon
2006-Jan-06, 08:15 PM
Define "killing". I'm very unhealthy, I'm overweight, and I'm getting too much sugar into my body (which could lead to diabetes). I don't want that, so I quit soda.

Then it's my problem, not yours

Not picking on anybody, and I don't play semantics - but I do think how people language their thoughts can be very revealing.

I noticed a post where someone said the could not stop drinking pop. I think it reveals the mindset of a disempowered person. It reflects a distinction between someone that feels in charge versus someone who feels like a victim of their circumstance. Not meaning to call names, just seems to be the correct term.

The language of an empowered person would be "I choose to drink pop." Of course that also means they choose not to stop drinking pop, as opposed to can't stop drinking pop. There is a big distinction between I CAN'T and I WON'T. So feel empowered, drinking the pop or not. If you ever decide not to drink it, you will at least have the edge of full ownership of the situation by acknowledging that you can drink it or not - but are not the victim of a CAN'T statement that disqualifies you of the responsibility of your actions.

BTW, if you need incentive, visit a dialysis center. I friend of mine that had a lifetime of diabetes died the week before Christmas. He had endured 2 kidney transplants and 1 combination kidney/pancreas transplant over about 15 years. He was 51, and spent the last 9 months of his life fighting to recover from a coma. The coma lasted 3 weeks and left him almost completely paralyzed. He finally gave up; too much pain and suffering. He figuratively pulled his own plug by abstaining from dialysis. He lasted 3 days before he slipped back into coma, after which he quickly died.

Not the same kind of diabetes as you might be at risk for - but the same result. You only go around once, best to make the most of the trip.

SG-1 Fan
2006-Jan-06, 08:20 PM

My kids refer to ANY carbonated drink as “Coke”. In thinking about it, I volunteer quite a lot of time in the good ‘ole concession stand at my kid’s school and ALL the kids say Coke. I never really thought about that before…

There is a local beverage that would not fit either description though (Ale-8-One (http://www.ale8one.com/index.html)). It would be more in line with highly caffeinated turpentine. It does a great job getting you through an all-nighter though!

farmerjumperdon
2006-Jan-06, 08:24 PM
I've noticed that most people south of a certain point (didn't think it would be as far north as Kentucky), refer to all pop/soda as Coke.

Swift
2006-Jan-06, 11:12 PM
Some buncha entymologists did a partial list I saw ages ago. Don't know if it ever made it to the Internet or not.
Ask, and thee shall receive Map (http://popvssoda.com/countystats/total-county.html)
website (http://popvssoda.com/)

farmerjumperdon
2006-Jan-06, 11:22 PM
Interesting. I wonder what "other" was? Maybe SODAPOP. I've heard that in the distant past.

Candy
2006-Jan-06, 11:29 PM
I say soda pop, because I get tired of being corrected by the locals. I dislike when you ask for a Coke, and they say is Pepsi okay? I don't know why this irritates me. Just give me a drink and put some rum in it! :razz:

farmerjumperdon
2006-Jan-06, 11:32 PM
I say soda pop, because I get tired of being corrected by the locals. I dislike when you ask for a Coke, and they say is Pepsi okay? I don't know why this irritates me. Just give me a drink and put some rum in it! :razz:

Being a former Chicagoan, maybe I heard you say it. Small world you know.

Swift
2006-Jan-06, 11:35 PM
I'm proof you can be re-programmed. I grew up in NY and always said "soda" (actually, being from NY, it came out more like "so-dar"). After 18 years in Ohio, I now usually say "pop".

Candy
2006-Jan-06, 11:41 PM
Being a former Chicagoan, maybe I heard you say it. Small world you know.
You never know. ;)

Don't the folks on the East Coast say white soda meaning Sprite or 7-Up?

Hugh Jass
2006-Jan-07, 01:12 AM
I'll never be re-programmed to say pop i will always find it silly. That map looks great!!!! I should googled. See if you look at the north west of California that red coke area in trinity county needs to finger out to some other small towns in the neighboring counties, then look at Oregon where a bunch of my relatives are, that’s why I find Pop so silly. This map fits great with the people I know from different parts of the country.

I FEEEL HAAAPPPPYYYYY!!!!!!!!

Kristophe
2006-Jan-07, 02:01 AM
I'll never be re-programmed to say pop i will always find it silly.

Don't come to Canada, then. If you ask someone for "a soda", they'll come back with a glass of soda water. You'll note that there doesn't seem to be a single blue dot north of the border, even though the US side of the Maine/New Brunswick border is a solid blue line.

Oh, and Candy, some of us are very appreciative of the people who ask "Is Pepsi ok?" Because to me, it isn't. Pepsi actually turns my stomach.

"I'll have a Coke."
"Is Pepsi ok?"
"I'll have a 7-Up."