PDA

View Full Version : In-Vince-ible!

Maksutov
2006-Jan-05, 06:23 AM
Just got through watching the Vince Young show on ABC. (http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot/scores/final/W13483.htm) What a performance! After Carroll's questionable decision to go for it on 4th and 2, Young made the most of the remaining 2 minutes and executed a brilliant drive, including excellent reads of the USC defense and an essentially untouched TD run on the last play.

Interesting that neither coach got a Gatorade bath (at least during the game), since the contest was in doubt right down to the last play. Whew! What a terrific end to the college football season.

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-05, 06:28 AM
Oh. I thought this was a thread devoted to me. My RL name is Vince. :(

I'm sad now.

Seriously, though, I had to commentate. ^_^

Since I'm not interested in football, I'll exit stage left...

LurchGS
2006-Jan-05, 06:34 AM
yeah, my first thought was 'vince lombardi'...

(exit. Stage right. Where all the babes are)

sarongsong
2006-Jan-05, 08:05 AM
Ha, ha---love SC's quarterback immediate post-game comment, "We have the better team, they just called better plays" (or something close to that). Great game even if it is 3 days late!

Dave Mitsky
2006-Jan-05, 08:12 AM
I was rooting for USC but with three touchdowns and two hundred yards rushing (has a quaterback ever accomplished that feat before in a major bowl game?), not to mention a 75% pass completion figure, Young certainly dominated the game.

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/Big_12/Texas.htm

Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky
2006-Jan-05, 10:46 AM
Apparently, Young did set a record for rushing yardage by a quaterback in a bowl game.

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-05, 01:44 PM
At reading the title I thought of Vincent The Invulnerable, who committed suicide by loudly stating his name while in the wrong bar.

ToSeek
2006-Jan-05, 04:32 PM
Awesome game. We were rooting for USC, but it was definitely a fair result, despite some dubious calls: Texas executed when it had to; USC didn't. Actually, the USC defense gave me fits most of the game - you'd think they'd realize they needed someone to hold position on Young's right and maintain containment. It seemed as if he could gain ten yards whenever he wanted to just by running out of the pocket in that direction.

Jim
2006-Jan-05, 05:21 PM
When Vince Young was just starting out at UT, he drove me mad. He took too many inadvisable risks, trying to force something to happen. He has matured tremendously since then; now his risks are very calculated, and he often waits and "lets" things happen. I have never seen a quarterback so loose during a game, and so calm in the pocket.

I was personally very happy to see Texas force the "experts" who talked about USC being the greatest team ever and were predicting a sure USC victory - even a runaway - have to eat their words. And I'll bet there are more than a few Heisman voters who are second guessing their votes.

Also, did you catch Mack Brown's comments after the game? One of the first things he did was congratulate USC for playing a great game and for being a great team. He also talked about how proud he was to bring a national championship home for DeLoss Dodds and Darrell Royal. The man is a class act.

Wolverine
2006-Jan-05, 08:42 PM
The man is a class act.
Very much so. As are Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush for visiting the Texas locker room after the game to offer their congratulations.

Needless to say, the town is abuzz. :)