PDA

View Full Version : Happy or unhappy with your body image?

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2006-Jan-05, 01:09 PM
So who here can truly say that they like the way they look? Me- not at all...could stand to lose about 50lbs./balding...and I didn't know this...your feet keep growing as you get older...used to be a size 10 1/2 now a 12...what's up with that???

ToSeek
2006-Jan-05, 04:35 PM
So who here can truly say that they like the way they look? Me- not at all...could stand to lose about 50lbs./balding...and I didn't know this...your feet keep growing as you get older...used to be a size 10 1/2 now a 12...what's up with that???

Gravity. ;)

I could lose 30 pounds, and my hair is graying and receding, but other than that I can't complain.

Nicolas
2006-Jan-05, 04:47 PM
Nice pointy ears by the way. ;)

Eric Vaxxine
2006-Jan-05, 04:51 PM
Bit chubby around the equator ... but joined the gym (my other half did it for us actually) yesterday.
The hair that leaves your head ends up growing out of your ears?
Whats that all about?

Happy 40%
Unhappy 60%

Monique
2006-Jan-05, 09:12 PM
I am happy with my looks. I need to exercise more. I appreciate feminine treatment I get. I appreciate some aspect to be healthy woman. Other aspect not so good.

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-05, 09:20 PM
Other aspect not so good.

PFT! What would that be?:rolleyes: ;)

I get a mixture of comments about my looks, some people like, others don't...beggers can't be choosers..*sigh*

Monique
2006-Jan-05, 09:23 PM
PFT! What would that be?:rolleyes: ;)

I get a mixture of comments about my looks, some people like, others don't...beggers can't be choosers..*sigh*
I do not discuss good or bad aspect. I do not wish to be added to banned poster list. :naughty:

Gillianren
2006-Jan-05, 09:24 PM
I could stand to lose weight, gods know. However, it's my shrink's image of my body that I don't like--when I told him the Zoloft was decreasing my appetite so that I was eating one small meal a day (maybe 1000 calories including sodas), he said I could stand to lose the weight. He also thinks I should get my stomach stapled, even though I'm not actually that overweight. Didn't suggest exercise, mind--just getting my stomach stapled.

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-05, 09:27 PM
I do not discuss good or bad aspect. I do not wish to be added to banned poster list. :naughty:

I was only kidding Monique, your a very pretty girl, there is nothing about you that needs to be changed....excepy maybe your English..:p

Personally I would like to gain some weight..

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-05, 10:16 PM
I could stand to lose weight, gods know. However, it's my shrink's image of my body that I don't like--when I told him the Zoloft was decreasing my appetite so that I was eating one small meal a day (maybe 1000 calories including sodas), he said I could stand to lose the weight. He also thinks I should get my stomach stapled, even though I'm not actually that overweight. Didn't suggest exercise, mind--just getting my stomach stapled.
I'd suggest getting a new shrink, though I guess you've already considered that.
The rest of what I'd like to say about him would probably get me banned:)
Oh, and get some more exercise, almost everyone needs more exercise, I know I do.

Nicolas
2006-Jan-05, 10:19 PM
I have been compared with Owen Wilson and Fabio.

Why should one complain about his own body when other people have such BAD EYES!!! :D

Gillianren
2006-Jan-05, 11:02 PM
I'd suggest getting a new shrink, though I guess you've already considered that.
The rest of what I'd like to say about him would probably get me banned:)
Oh, and get some more exercise, almost everyone needs more exercise, I know I do.

The problem is finding a new shrink who takes DSHS medical coupons. (For non-Washingtonians, that's Department of Social and Health Services. In short, welfare.) And since he keeps his dog in session and doesn't reliably remember my name, I've wanted a new shrink pretty much since my first session!

And yes, exercise would be good, but it's not easy for someone in chronic pain. I need a pool membership somewhere.

Gullible Jones
2006-Jan-06, 03:13 AM
I suppose I'm fine with my body image... Sure, I'm kind of short, my nose is too big, and I look rather vaguely effeminate, but those aren't major problems.

(Internally, some changes would be nice - electronic coprocessors in the brain, small pistons or perhaps electroresponsive plastic fibers in the arms and legs, air sacs for internal oxygen storage, a lot more myoglobin in the muscle tissue, microfibers under the skin and various other adaptations for vacuum survival, ceramic and metal plating around the brain and internal organs. Stuff like that probably won't be available in my lifetime, but hey, one can always dream.)

space cadet
2006-Jan-06, 03:20 AM
Having big feet is better than having small feet.

I'm 5'7 and 135 pounds. I wear a size 4-5 in women's. It's horrible! Not only is it practically impossible to find shoes my size that weren't made for children (I find that shopping in the little boy's section is slightly better than shopping in the little girls section--boy's tennis shoes don't have as much pink) but my feet get incredibly sore after standing for even a short amount of time. Think of all that weight concentrated on such small feet! Ouch. It doesn't help that I'm an elementary school teacher and am on my feet practically all day.

Staiduk
2006-Jan-06, 03:23 AM
Body image, I'm happy with it - I keep myself in fairly good shape and I've never wished I was anyone else.

Condition on the other hand... I've broken so many bits in the past 30 years that if you picked me up and shook me, I'd rattle. Believe me, it's very embarrassing being 38 and having to use your hands to help you up stairs.

I was only kidding Monique, your a very pretty girl, there is nothing about you that needs to be changed....excepy maybe your English..:p

What are you - kidding? Monique's the first one I've ever seen to write in a French accent - which is, of course, the sexiest of all accents. Her posts are utterly delightful to read. :D

LurchGS
2006-Jan-06, 03:31 AM
I have been compared with Owen Wilson and Fabio.

aaaahh. but compared favorably?

Why should one complain about his own body when other people have such BAD EYES!!! :D

well, I freely admit I could stand to lose some weight. My doc would be happy if I went from 320 to 220 (does't look that awful on my 6'6" large boned frame - yeah, I can say that and not be stretching things - I have a 10-inch wrist, measured at constriction below the radius and ulna)

I'm curious about the feet thing - I know ears and nose continue to grow.. but feet? in the past 30 years, I have worn everything from size 11.5 to 13 - but I've found that it depends on the shoe manufacturer. I'm pretty sure my feet haven't fluctuated - or even really changed - in size.

Titana
2006-Jan-06, 03:45 AM
Well, i quess i have a couple of things i dont like about myself. I am not to fat nor to thin, but when a person gets to thier 30s they cant seem to get that little extra weight off to easy .The waist area is the main part i am having trouble with, but i do try to do exercise every now and then to keep it off. Another thing i really dont like about myself is my hair. I have very thick hair and it is very hard to keep it the way i want it. I remember when i was a little girl and my mother would brush my hair, i would always wish i didnt have any hair...:(

Titana.

LurchGS
2006-Jan-06, 04:29 AM
[snip] i really dont like about myself is my hair. I have very thick hair and it is very hard to keep it the way i want it. I remember when i was a little girl and my mother would brush my hair, i would always wish i didnt have any hair...:(

Titana.
no no no - what's happening is you are trying to do things with your hair that it won't support...besides, anything other than simple falls are silly looking. Wash it, brush it, tie it in a pony tail or braid it. Anything else is pretentious.

If you spend more than 15 minutes getting dressed and ready for work, it's too long.

paulie jay
2006-Jan-06, 05:05 AM
I'm pretty happy with the state of my body :)

Titana
2006-Jan-06, 05:06 AM
no no no - what's happening is you are trying to do things with your hair that it won't support...besides, anything other than simple falls are silly looking. Wash it, brush it, tie it in a pony tail or braid it. Anything else is pretentious.

If you spend more than 15 minutes getting dressed and ready for work, it's too long.

15 minutes?? That is very little time for me. I am supose to be at work by 7:00 am so i get up at 5:00 am and it is barley enough time for me. It takes me at least an hour to get ready. And as for my hair, yeah your probably right. I like all those fancy hair do's. But i do usually braid it, it is alot easier and faster.

Titana.

Enzp
2006-Jan-06, 05:47 AM
My goodness, from hop out of bed to pull out of driveway is about 30 minutes. SHower, get dressed, pet the cat, go.

Monique English fun, not mess with, we enjoy.

I could use a few less pounds I suppose. I had to stop going to the beach. Every time I lay down on the sand, these guys from Greenpeace come and try to haul me back into the water.

Not much hair left on the top of my head, and way too much groowing on my ears anymore. Not concerned about baldness though. Beard still full. Arthritis sucks though.

Taks
2006-Jan-06, 07:35 AM
the only thing i care about my looks is my weight. need to drop 50 lbs. just a gut, at 6'3" i don't look really fat, but definitely big.

losing my hair, couldn't care less (uh, thread about that, right?)... never shave (er, once a week)... look like i'm still dressed by my mom and wife because, well, i am... i have a bent nose due to the inexplicable desire to continue fighting with my brothers in spite of the fact that we're all in our 30s (my best buds, btw, and they help dress me when either draws my name for the xmas exchange)... but, i do shower daily, never leave the bedroom without brushing my teeth and my hair is always kept tidy (number 2 shave every 4-6 weeks).

:)

taks

Candy
2006-Jan-06, 07:52 AM
I'm pretty happy with the state of my body :)
Me, too! :razz:

Maksutov
2006-Jan-06, 09:52 AM
Groucho and me:

Mrs. Claypool: Are you sure you have everything, Otis?
Otis B. Driftwood: Well, I haven't had any complaints yet.

- A Night at the Opera

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/7764/grouchomarx5nb.gif

Nicolas
2006-Jan-06, 09:54 AM
aaaahh. but compared favorably?

Doesn't matter, anyone who sees something worth comparing with Fabio or Owen Wilson in me would be next to blind :D.

For the record, the Owen Wilson comparison was neutral (you look like him), Fabio was more of a long lived joke. Anyway that was much better than had they seriously been saying I look like him :).

Why is it that I got an OWen Wilson movie for Christmas? :D

But seriously, I'm rather happy with my body image. I could gain some weight and exchange a bit of visible bones for visible muscles, but overall I don't have any problems with my body image.

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-06, 12:11 PM
I need to lose weight, before astronomical bodies start revolving around me.

Tinaa
2006-Jan-06, 01:04 PM
I lost fifty lbs and my feet shrunk 1 1/2 sizes. I still have a few more to go. I had to have ACL reconstruction surgery and that stop my exercising, but I'm back at it now.

farmerjumperdon
2006-Jan-06, 02:16 PM

Hmmm. Just off the top of my head, and to be taken knowing I don't know your situation in detail; but to go from "could lose a few pounds" to the suggestion of having your stomach stapled is a huge leap. That surgery is turning into big business; and unfortunately by a mixture of well intended non-experts, some bonafide and entirely virtuous professionals, and by money-grubbing surgical assembly lines.

That is serious surgery to be used as a last resort. It's being pushed into the realm of a cosmetic surgery as an easy out (and at times as an easy buck). Unless you are truly obese (morbidly so based on medical guidelines - meaning your weight is at least a significant if not critical health risk), I'd be very wary of a recommendation to pursue this surgery.

Check out the websites of various providers and professional associations. You'll find some marketing it like a facelift (with the warnings and disclaimers in Bible print), and others that are very direct and up-front with what a major operation this still is; complete with side effects, likely complications and even mortality rates. Be very wary of any health care professional that recommends this as if it were some sort of routine fix for reasons of convenience or speed.

farmerjumperdon
2006-Jan-06, 02:26 PM
Fit as a fiddle with the exception of the beating I subjected myself to as a lover of all things athletic. Every major joint has some degree of damage; not whining mind you and I wouldn't give back all that fun for perfectly functioning joints; but like most youngsters I didn't believe it would happen to me. That being said:

I refuse to tiptoe thru life only to arrive safely at death.

Doodler
2006-Jan-06, 09:42 PM
Weight's obviously a concern for me, especially in light of my family's atrocious history of heart disease. However, I have managed to keep my weight within a +/- 10 range of 260, and while I've got my caffeine vice, I do try to cook more myself from scratch when I can spare the time.

If I had to pick a particular nit over myself, its the inability to grow a proper mustache & beard. I've got this mind boggling pair of bald patches where my mustache never grows to meet my beard. I suppose an option is to try a Fu Manchu to cover, but somewhere in the family tree's enough NatAmerican to dictate my hair growth pattern. I can go from shaved bald to mullet in a year up top(women actually compliment my hair), but facial hair has always been painfully irritating to let grow in.

Gillianren
2006-Jan-06, 10:08 PM
Hmmm. Just off the top of my head, and to be taken knowing I don't know your situation in detail; but to go from "could lose a few pounds" to the suggestion of having your stomach stapled is a huge leap. That surgery is turning into big business; and unfortunately by a mixture of well intended non-experts, some bonafide and entirely virtuous professionals, and by money-grubbing surgical assembly lines.

That is serious surgery to be used as a last resort. It's being pushed into the realm of a cosmetic surgery as an easy out (and at times as an easy buck). Unless you are truly obese (morbidly so based on medical guidelines - meaning your weight is at least a significant if not critical health risk), I'd be very wary of a recommendation to pursue this surgery.

Check out the websites of various providers and professional associations. You'll find some marketing it like a facelift (with the warnings and disclaimers in Bible print), and others that are very direct and up-front with what a major operation this still is; complete with side effects, likely complications and even mortality rates. Be very wary of any health care professional that recommends this as if it were some sort of routine fix for reasons of convenience or speed.

Trust me, the medical decision this made me reach is to get a new shrink. I have a very large frame, which makes my weight look very well distributed. I still have a "Birth of Venus" type figure, but I don't look like Divine. (For one thing, no Adam's apple.) Those few people who know me personally whom I've told about this are flat horrified, I assure you, and agree that there's no way I'm that overweight.

As to arthritis . . . I miss those happy, carefree days when my knees didn't make strange popping sounds every time I moved!

hippietrekx
2006-Jan-07, 04:51 AM
I look pretty average. Brunette, size 10, 5' 3". I like being average, though. I can either blend in or stick out whenever I want to. It's great!

I just don't like my feet. Do you know how hard it is to find size 4 in ladies' shoes? Gah! I found some Star Wars Lazerlight shoes in the girls section in pink with Padme on them. So I bought them. Then I went into the boys section and found some in black with Vader on them. So I snagged those, too. They were on sale at Wal*Mart for $10 each.

Sweet...

--hippie

Enzp
2006-Jan-07, 08:02 AM
The doctor says your body is a temple, though in my case it is a rotunda.

(from an old favorite cartoon)

Maksutov
2006-Jan-07, 10:46 AM
The doctor says your body is a temple, though in my case it is a rotunda.

(from an old favorite cartoon)Hopefully there's a nice scope in that dome it's holding up! http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/566/iconwink6tn.gif

Enzp
2006-Jan-07, 08:56 PM
I don't want to think about scopes and doctors in the same thoughts. They don't look at the Milky Way.

ToSeek
2006-Jan-09, 11:02 PM

I'm 5'7 and 135 pounds. I wear a size 4-5 in women's. It's horrible! Not only is it practically impossible to find shoes my size that weren't made for children (I find that shopping in the little boy's section is slightly better than shopping in the little girls section--boy's tennis shoes don't have as much pink) but my feet get incredibly sore after standing for even a short amount of time. Think of all that weight concentrated on such small feet! Ouch. It doesn't help that I'm an elementary school teacher and am on my feet practically all day.

You need to trade with a friend of mine. She's 5'1" but has incredibly long feet for her height. Seems like the two of you got mixed up somewhere along the lines.

trinitree88
2006-Jan-09, 11:13 PM

Having worked in industry, and as a teacher, I've learned that few teachers ever try what warehouse workers do to alleviate sore feet. Padding.
Industrial supply catalogs sell rubber pads of different dimensions that you use in areas you tread all day. For teaching staff, they often work on concrete floors. A resilient pad underfoot reduces foot fatigue remarkably. It needs to be snugged up on the ends with tape to avoid tripping though. (in warehouses without pads, many day workers...Labor Pool..fold cardboard boxes, and lay them down for the same effect. You might get by with another layer of carpet and a carpet underpad. Good luck. Pete.:think:

Gemini
2006-Jan-10, 02:56 AM
I suppose I'm fine with my body image... Sure, I'm kind of short, my nose is too big, and I look rather vaguely effeminate, but those aren't major problems.

(Internally, some changes would be nice - electronic coprocessors in the brain, small pistons or perhaps electroresponsive plastic fibers in the arms and legs, air sacs for internal oxygen storage, a lot more myoglobin in the muscle tissue, microfibers under the skin and various other adaptations for vacuum survival, ceramic and metal plating around the brain and internal organs. Stuff like that probably won't be available in my lifetime, but hey, one can always dream.)

Faster, Better, Stronger than he was before, We have the abililty build the worlds first bionic man .....( cue to 6 million dollar man music)

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-10, 03:05 AM
Bah. metal plating? Only if that metal is carbon nanotubes. I'd want a carbon nanotube skeleton, penetration-resistant skin (to the point it can stop pistol rounds; though it would still leave a nasty bruise and potentially cause internal bleeding depending on location and calibre), memory boosters in the brain, an implanted radio that could broadcast a signal for miles (or just an implanted cell phone), an in-built microchip that could store information like phone numbers, addresses, etc...

Powerful ceramic teeth that feels like normal teeth, but doesn't chip or break easily, and can go unbrushed; the saliva (that's scented) that gets rid of anything bad in the mouth and keeps it 100% cleaned... (I hate brushing my teeth, can you tell?)

I'd also like a better intestinal system; hell, maybe a system that gets rid of all waste products, period, or at least makes it so that I don't have to go that often. I'd also like an implanted breathing thingy on my lower back, just in case someone tries to strangle me, so I can breathe through my lower back (or just in case I'm in a position where my mouth and nose is covered, period).

Let's see here... to get even more extreme (hah hah), I'd also like two tentacles, covered in black fur, coming up from my back and over my shoulders. They would be used for a variety of things, but mainly for longer reach, and the ability to reach under or between certain things (like under the couch), and in case I need to defend myself, gives me two extra limbs with which to grapple with.

Hmm... there a ton of other things I wouldn't mind implanting into myself, but that's all that I can think of for now, outside of magical nanomachines that make everything alright (prevent heart disease, prevent brain diseases, prevent spinal diseases, prevents AIDS, etc.)

Did I mention I'm a transhumanist?

Heid the Ba'
2006-Jan-10, 12:22 PM
Happy with how it looks; 6'3'' and 210lbs, greying with a particularly dodgy looking grey goatee (Mrs B loves it, no idea why).

Like FJD I creak on cold mornings but all sports injuries so no complaints.

mickal555
2006-Jan-10, 01:14 PM
Better hair- it's kinda moppy at the mo.

and a 6-pack- all the girls want a 6-pack.

Nicolas
2006-Jan-10, 01:45 PM
A good alternative for a six-pack is a shirt ;).

Argos
2006-Jan-10, 02:51 PM
Happy about my look? I could well have blond hair...{sigh}

Halcyon Dayz
2006-Jan-10, 03:09 PM
Happy about my look? I could well have blond hair...{sigh}
That comes in bottles these days.

SeanF
2006-Jan-10, 03:16 PM
Better hair- it's kinda moppy at the mo.

and a 6-pack- all the girls want a 6-pack.
Six-pack?! Bah!

I've got a keg!

Nicolas
2006-Jan-10, 03:17 PM
Or as the Belgian comedian Urbanus says:

"I'm grey and balding, but I'm not complaining about my hair. I mean, these days you even see people walking around with green hair! If I had green hair, I would paint it."

:D