PDA

View Full Version : Half Life series

Nicolas
2006-Jan-05, 11:40 PM
Have you ever played the Half Life games? I'm talking about the HL1 and HL2 single player games.

I really loved HL1 when it came out. I played the whole game (at easy, I wish I had chosen normal afterwards :)).

The plot twists going from *get out and find help* to *the "help" is out to get ME to cover this up* to *the "help" is fleeing themselves as this is getting way out of hand* are excellent. And that man-in-suit gave me the creeps. I think I've spotted him twice in the game. He just stands there and watches. You can't hit him (yes I tried :)). He stands there like a referee of sorts, but nobody knows why. I must have missed him sometimes, I think he watched me more than those 2 times.

In the end of HL1 you can chose to being killed by an army of aliens or being administered by the man-in-suit.

HL2 starts with the man-in-suit waking you up. A city has been taken over by what appears to be his legion, though some white bearded guy seems to be in charge. And the aliens are everybody's enemy as usual. Only, there appear to be tame creatures now (the type that killed you at the end of part 1 of all sorts!) who do some help for the resistance forces. No explanation given, weird :). Oh and later on there are some aliens which can be bribed for "candy" (not Candy). They eat what you feed them and attack everything attacking them, but no longer attack you. I wonder whether they would attack resistance forces, I have no experience with the behaviour of these "tamed" aliens' interaction with other resistance forces. The nice thing is that this species is plenty available. A limited flock will follow your feeding feast, and if some have been killed they will extend the flock themselves. Handy!

I won't say anything more about the plot of HL2 yet, as some might still be playing it and I don't know much more about it yet.

In the earlier parts of HL2, I suddenly saw the man-in-suit watching me (not the intro) IIRC. I thought "there you've got that wacko again".

Anyway I played on and on and a substantial part later in the game, I was at a barracks, and suddenly on the other side of the water I saw man-in-suit again! This sounds like nothing special, but the way it happens in the game you really think "FREAK!!!". Also it seems as if you only see him when you watch really carefully (in reality, it is scripted well and you have not too many chances of missing him in sight :)).

Does anyone else play or played these games and does anyone has some background on the plot of part 1 or the plot of the starting location of part 2?

The physics engine of HL2 (part of the Source engine) is amazing! It adds to the game in many ways. With gravity and buoancy one can make nice puzzles. Combined with the antigravity gun and really good collision detection between objects, nice possibilities are opened.

SPOILER AHEAD!!!!For those who played HL2 to some extent:

I think that part is called "Highway 17". You're at a dock where there's a magnet crane which you need to lift the dune buggy onto the dock, and you need to make a passage from the first to the second dock. I tried to make that with a container but that failed. The container fell onto the wooden construction lying there, which flipped over to form a bridge. It looked as if that wasn't calculated but scripted. Correct, or did I get a really lucky shot with the container?

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-05, 11:47 PM
I haven't tried HalfLife.
My pc was too slow and then I discovered Postal 2 which will probably be the first person shooter of choice for me for a long time to come.

Nicolas
2006-Jan-05, 11:54 PM
I played HL1 on a 200 MHz system. That went quite well thanks to the Voodoo² card :).

I play HL2 on a 3GHz system. With 2*AA and 2*AF it usually runs smooth. Only sometimes I get hickups (at the autosaves as well, buit those don't count :)), like sometimes when running around the buggy. It doesn't seem to have to do with polycounts though, it is some script running or something like that that slows things down.

HL2 looks amazing at many places. So did HL1 in its day, and both weren't really aimed at graphics (HL2 a lot more than HL1 though). I have HL1: Source as well now, which is HL1 with the new physics engine, and better lighting, patch and water effects. It looks better thanks to the light and water, has more intereactino thanks to the damage patches, but I don't notice too much of the physics. Compared to HL2, the running control was really slidy :).

I'm not familiar with Postal.

HL2 is the first FPS that I know that uses physics to such an extent for the in-game puzzles.

Cl1mh4224rd
2006-Jan-06, 03:36 AM
Yep. Played both. Very good games. :)

The "man-in-suit" is called the G-Man (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-Man_%28Half-Life%29). A very strange character that one. He's basically your "employer" in the second game, and himself apparently works for some mysterious, inter-dimensional group who sells the services of exceptional individuals (like Gordan Freeman - your character) to the highest bidder. He makes about 12-13 subtle appearances in Half-Life 2.

"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world." :)

For the "best guess" at the entire storyline, check out *spoilers*this page*spoilers* (http://members.shaw.ca/halflifestory/timeline.htm). The story writer for the games apparently says it's "pretty darn accurate".

Re: The crane. I love that thing. :)

LurchGS
2006-Jan-06, 04:40 AM
ok, I admit it - the FPS games bore me to tears.. I've tried a dozen or so, and I just can't get interested. I can see why OTHERS get interested, yeah...

I got more interested in Might and Magic, Bard's Tale, etc. At one point, I had some 200 Eamon game scenarios....I wonder where they are now..

(nope - nothing at all about HL - just building a pothole in the road for you)

Nicolas
2006-Jan-06, 09:59 AM
Yep. Played both. Very good games. :)

The "man-in-suit" is called the G-Man (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-Man_%28Half-Life%29). A very strange character that one. He's basically your "employer" in the second game, and himself apparently works for some mysterious, inter-dimensional group who sells the services of exceptional individuals (like Gordan Freeman - your character) to the highest bidder. He makes about 12-13 subtle appearances in Half-Life 2.

"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world." :)

For the "best guess" at the entire storyline, check out *spoilers*this page*spoilers* (http://members.shaw.ca/halflifestory/timeline.htm). The story writer for the games apparently says it's "pretty darn accurate".

Re: The crane. I love that thing. :)

THat's him, the G-man. Well, he certainly looks like he's making you work for his cause, without you REALLY feel like that.

thanks for the links.

spoiler area:
I loved crushing the guards with the magnet of the crane itself :)
Do you think the physics of that bridge flip thingy with the care were scripted or didn't you experience anything like that? It just fell TOO perfectly in my opinion to be calculated.

Nicolas
2006-Jan-06, 10:04 AM
ok, I admit it - the FPS games bore me to tears.. I've tried a dozen or so, and I just can't get interested. I can see why OTHERS get interested, yeah...

I got more interested in Might and Magic, Bard's Tale, etc. At one point, I had some 200 Eamon game scenarios....I wonder where they are now..

(nope - nothing at all about HL - just building a pothole in the road for you)

Many FPS games bore me as well. The ones I really liked were (and these still are FPS and not some hybrids):

*Hidden&Dangerous because you're dead as quickly as any enemy, and you really needed some tactics in that game for the first time. Sniping and waiting was of great importance :).

*HL1 for the excellent storyline and atmosphere, plus great AI achievements
*HL2 for the same reasons, plus the physics in the gameplay. Never thought I would scream "bouyancy and moment arms are your best friends" in an FPS :D.

Most general FPS are rather boring to me. Except for Quake 3 due to the complete madness of 16 people shooting each other at the same time. In that respect, Serious Sam looks fun from time to time, but overall not my kind of game :).

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-06, 10:57 AM
http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=041116

For a bit of half-life 2 humor. Also, if you're so inclined, I suggest you read the article the author wrote at the bottom.

Nicolas
2006-Jan-06, 11:13 AM
:D good ones!

At some points, the aliens just keep coming, so moving along is a good decision. At many points though, there is only a limited number of them. Using creative means to save ammunition is a nice part of the game. If you're not for explosive ways of doing this, a heavy steel radiator is your friend.

Nicolas
2006-Jan-27, 12:11 PM
In HL2, what's the idea behind those walking walls that seem to crunch everything? Are they there only to crunch complete parts of the city?

TinFoilHat
2006-Jan-27, 01:48 PM
Those are part of the "citadel", the alien city-machines that came through portals from their world. They're gradually growing, consuming the ruins of the cities around them for raw materials as they do.

Nicolas
2006-Jan-27, 02:01 PM
Ah ok, so they're "eating" the cities. And all those nasty critters are getting rid of the humans, that is those humans that have not yet been put into a "police" suit in order to...get rid of the humans. Well, those humans who aren't stored yet.

Too bad I'm a human in that game :D.

teddyv
2006-Jan-27, 03:43 PM
Many FPS games bore me as well. The ones I really liked were (and these still are FPS and not some hybrids):

*Hidden&Dangerous because you're dead as quickly as any enemy, and you really needed some tactics in that game for the first time. Sniping and waiting was of great importance :).

*HL1 for the excellent storyline and atmosphere, plus great AI achievements
*HL2 for the same reasons, plus the physics in the gameplay. Never thought I would scream "bouyancy and moment arms are your best friends" in an FPS :D.

Most general FPS are rather boring to me. Except for Quake 3 due to the complete madness of 16 people shooting each other at the same time. In that respect, Serious Sam looks fun from time to time, but overall not my kind of game :).

I loved HL1. Haven't tried HL2 as the machine won't run it.

Probably my personal favourite is Blood, lots of good humour and inventive weapons and different feel from most FPS. Aways back, Doom was awesome and scared the life out of me from time to time. Duke Nukem 3D was also pretty good.

Nicolas
2006-Jan-27, 06:47 PM
I never liked Doom, I was more into Wolfenstein 3D, SPear of Destiny and some obscure clone involving aliens which would have a complete see-through hole in their belly if you shot them :).

HL2 runs perfectly here. I do notice a bit of a drop when water is in the scene. I see major drops however in scripted events, like Doggy attacking some guard with their own vehicle. I assume it is a fault of the scripts, because graphically it's the usual stuff (though Doggy is heavy to render for the PC).

Nicolas
2006-Feb-08, 11:23 PM
The scale of the final levels is beyond imagination. :D