PDA

View Full Version : Great news - I got fired!

Staiduk
2006-Jan-06, 01:32 AM
'Lo all!
Sorry I haven't posted in a while; the past couple of months have been slightly crazy.

Anyway, as you can tell from the title; I'm no longer employed - and I'm HAPPY!!!!

See; as safety rep in my plant I was extremely hard-nosed about allowing machines to run if they had safety issues. This of course drove management absolutely insane; they're of the opinion that 'preventative maintenance' and 'safety concerns' cost too much in time and money to deal with until problems actually happen. My habit of shutting machines down for trivial reasons - like for instance when a pressman fell right through the pressdeck because the hinges were held on by nothing more than a couple of spot-welds - gave them catatonic fits. (On that occasion, had the press been moving the pressman would've been killed instantly. He was just up there to put some ink in a fountain - he'd shut it down less than a minute before for an unrelated reason. There are angels...)

At any rate; I took my annual holiday just before Christmas. When I got back; I found a UPS envelope under my door. Yup - they canned me. While I was on vacation.
By mail.

How cowardly do you have to be to can someone by mail?

At any rate; I was in there the next morning with my lawyer.

Words were exchanged. :D

The end result was they changed my termination to 'permanently laid off'; with a very acceptable severance package. I could've got my job back; the idiots running this place were totally unprepared for an 'uneducated' worker having a lawyer (who is a good personal friend) with 40+ years courtroom experience on retainer; or to respond so fast. Blue collar factory types tend more to whine, moan, go drink beer, and give up.

But really - you couldn't pay me enough to go back there. It was killing me.
The stress was incredible; and the physical demands were taking a serious toll on a body already badly weakened by past injury.

The big thing was the severance package - enough to keep me going fairly comfortably for a year. this gives me plenty of options; and I plan to make use of 'em.

So at long last; I finally get to do something I've always wanted to do - starting in May; I'll be starting at Queen's University in Kingston. My mother lives in Kingston and will help me with room and board. Her husband works at Queens and is currently acting as my go-between to get things going with application and registration. Even better; I've learned that as a Canadian Forces veteran; I qualify for a bursary, something I never would have thought of (until yesterday I didn't even know what the word meant) without 'inside' help.
So at the age of 38; I am going to university!!

Woohoo!!!!

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-06, 01:50 AM
Sounds very good. I hope you succeed in life :)

The types that sacrifice safety in the name of money tick me off.

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-06, 01:55 AM

Nice..:razz:

Candy
2006-Jan-06, 01:56 AM
I think you look will do great, Staiduk! :razz:

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-06, 01:57 AM
Candy's off work, w00t!

Nicolas
2006-Jan-06, 01:59 AM
My S.O. works in a press company. She's familiar with the power and danger of presses. Presses are only reasonably safe if they have all safety goodies working, such as emergency stops, and start buttons where they belong. And solid walking plates of course :). Had an accident happened with that, I wouldn't have found it strange nobody noticed it before. WHo would think those things would collapse?

If management underestimates the risk of presses, they should climb up to a running press and lay down their ears on the floor of the walking plates. The sound and vibration, if possible combined with the view of rapidly turning components might change their point of view regarding safety with presses. Preferably take an older, large press with a good number of groups to make things extra impressive :).

Well you're gone now, but if you feel you made realistic but necessary safety decisions you can't blame yourself. You see that even with your stringent safety rules a deadly accident almost happened. It doesn't need to be even more dangerous due to lack of safety rules.

Good luck at the university!!

Candy
2006-Jan-06, 02:06 AM
Candy's off work, w00t!I am leaving in an hour for work. I did a dumb thing, and I picked up two midnight shifts. :wall:

I find school is easier the older I get. I'm not sure how the Masters Program will be - I hope it is like the Bachelors. :think:

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-06, 02:16 AM
People are people. No one's perfect.

Staiduk
2006-Jan-06, 02:37 AM
I'm not sure how the Masters Program will be - I hope it is like the Bachelors. :think:

Translation: Candy likes Bachelors? :D ;)

Staiduk
2006-Jan-06, 02:43 AM
Words were exchanged. :DNice..:razz:

Well, in the words of Terry Pratchett, 'It's a small sentence, but contains a lot of incident'. :D

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-06, 02:46 AM
Translation: Candy likes Bachelors? :D ;)

Candy is a flirt, but we all love her because she is special. :p

Superluminal
2006-Jan-06, 03:11 AM
Candy definatly is special, she even attracts 15 year old rednecks.:p

Staiduk, there is a mining co. in West Virginia that could use a good safety man who actually cares about safety.

LurchGS
2006-Jan-06, 03:15 AM
she rides the short bus?

Yahell - got a reference for those approximate figures?

Staiduk - good news! (that you are happy with the change)

My dad did a tour (Iforget the number of years) as a safety director.. fortunately, the rest of the staff was pretty much as retentive about it as he was - not that the place needed much - it was at CEBAF (Continuour Electrom Beam Accelerator Facility - now renamed Thomas Jefforson Lab)

I grooved pretty hard on the place - they were getting energies from a ring that was a few hundred meters long (an oval, rather than a circle) that were normally found in large rings. Used to make me wish I was a physicist - though I'd have had to work with my dad. Not a good thing.

I digress

the primary consideration there (during construction) was the overhead traveling beam crane. And that nobody compromise the clean rooms (class 10, IIRC). Dad finally left when he got bored

Swift
2006-Jan-06, 04:11 AM
Wow Staiduk. I guess congrats are in order. What are you planning to study at university, or have you not gotten that far yet? Any way, good luck with all of that.

ToSeek
2006-Jan-06, 04:12 AM
I am leaving in an hour for work. I did a dumb thing, and I picked up two midnight shifts. :wall:

I find school is easier the older I get. I'm not sure how the Masters Program will be - I hope it is like the Bachelors. :think:

I think it is easier, but it's also harder for me to take as seriously. "I know I know this stuff - why should I bother proving it to you?"

Kristophe
2006-Jan-06, 04:20 AM
I'll be starting at Queen's University in Kingston.

Aww, starting in May I'll be no longer AT Queen's. Go figure. Be DAMNED sure to check out the campus observatory. They hold an open house on the second Saturday of every month. They start at 7pm during the winter months, and 9pm during the sunnier times. Tell Terry that Chris says hi :D

Enzp
2006-Jan-06, 06:09 AM
I went back to college when I was in my 30s. I found it a lot easier than when I went the first time. I assumed it was because college courses are aimed at people in their late teens and early 20s rather than at someone adult with some life experience to draw from.

Candy
2006-Jan-06, 07:56 AM
she rides the short bus?
I was going to say Special Ed, but you beat me to it. :lol:

This old lady graduated Summa Cum Laude last June. :p

Staiduk
2006-Jan-07, 01:34 PM
Aww, starting in May I'll be no longer AT Queen's. Go figure. Be DAMNED sure to check out the campus observatory. They hold an open house on the second Saturday of every month. They start at 7pm during the winter months, and 9pm during the sunnier times. Tell Terry that Chris says hi :D

Well, if you want to say 'Hi'; I'm in Kingston this weekend. I'll check the BaBB when I get there - want to stop for a coffee? :)

Staiduk
2006-Jan-07, 01:37 PM
Wow Staiduk. I guess congrats are in order. What are you planning to study at university, or have you not gotten that far yet? Any way, good luck with all of that.

I haven't quite decided yet, Swift. There are a few choices available to me - I'd like to continue my study of Palaeontology and dive back into the ancient past.

Alternatively; the study of psychology - particularly the psychology of violence - interests me greatly. Both programs are excellent at Queens. I've got to do an adult student conversion course first; so I've got a bit of time to decide. :)

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-07, 05:30 PM
Candy definatly is special, she even attracts 15 year old rednecks.:p

Hey, you talking about me? You trying to start something?

:)

Candy
2006-Jan-07, 10:09 PM
Hey, you talking about me? You trying to start something?

:)
He's talking about the Star Party we were at over Labor Day. This kid kept following me around and "flirting" with me. Well, he told me the Laws of Consent for the State of Arkansas. He had a really big belt buckle, too. :lol:

Candy
2006-Jan-07, 10:10 PM
I've got to do an adult student conversion course first; so I've got a bit of time to decide. :)
What's this?

beskeptical
2006-Jan-07, 10:16 PM
I've been fired twice and both times ended up with a better job I wouldn't have gone out and gotten if I hadn't been fired.

Kristophe
2006-Jan-08, 02:35 AM
Well, if you want to say 'Hi'; I'm in Kingston this weekend. I'll check the BaBB when I get there - want to stop for a coffee? :)

Sorry mate. This is my travel weekend. I'm praying to the Spaghetti Monster that it doesn't kill me.

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-08, 02:58 AM
He's talking about the Star Party we were at over Labor Day. This kid kept following me around and "flirting" with me. Well, he told me the Laws of Consent for the State of Arkansas. He had a really big belt buckle, too. :lol:

lol...sorry Candy, because that had to be weird for you!:lol:

Candy
2006-Jan-08, 03:03 AM
lol...sorry Candy, because that had to be weird for you!:lol:
And that silly huge Rebel Flag belt buckle... one couldn't help but stare at it.
Well, I couldn't stop looking at it, which probably didn't help matters much. :doh:

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-08, 03:08 AM
And that silly huge Rebel Flag belt buckle... one couldn't help but stare at it.
Well, I couldn't stop looking at it, which probably didn't help matters much. :doh:

I actually laughed out loud when I read that, sounds like some situation!:clap:

I would have loved to have been there.

Candy
2006-Jan-08, 03:53 AM
^^^

http://www.cosgan.de/smiliegenerator/ablage/168/373.png

I wish Staiduk well with school. I do not doubt for one minute that he will not succeed at anything he sets as a goal.

Staiduk
2006-Jan-09, 02:39 AM
What's this?

Hi again. :)
As a mature student I first have to get through 2 credits of (I believe) English or History in order to get into University as a full-time student. It's a drag, but I see their point - most mature folks I know (remember, I live in a primarily industrial environment) would never get along in University; so it's best to give them a probie. :)

Heid the Ba'
2006-Jan-09, 01:48 PM
Woohoo! One nil for lawyers. (I had to say it since no-one else will). You'll do fine at uni, I went in my late twenties having been through a variety of jobs and not being academic. In the UK mature students outperform teenagers since they know why they are there and what they want to do.

Good luck.

Kristophe
2006-Jan-09, 02:07 PM
Yeah, knowing why you're there, rather than just being there 'cause you're "supposed" to be there probably greatly increases motivation, and therefore marks. Speaking as a student who came here straight out of high school, I can say that some days it's just not worth getting out of bed in the morning, and so I don't...

mickal555
2006-Jan-09, 02:24 PM
Yeah, knowing why you're there, rather than just being there 'cause you're "supposed" to be there probably greatly increases motivation, and therefore marks. Speaking as a student who came here straight out of high school, I can say that some days it's just not worth getting out of bed in the morning, and so I don't...

Great motto :D

Staiduk
2006-Jan-10, 08:37 AM
All true (hi again all, BTW) - but the last thing I want is to get complacent. Uni's very likely going to be as great or greater a challenge - in its own way - than anything I've done up until this point. I've got an extra 20 yrs. of life experience true; and from a pressure/stress viewpoint some of the courses I've taken would make anything uni. can throw seem tame (I must describe the ISCC curriculum sometime! :D ) but while I'm alright academically; I'm waaaaay out of date. Besides; it's a totally different lifestyle.
But, it's gonna be loads of fun innit? :D

Cheers!

teri tait
2006-Jan-10, 09:07 AM
Goodbye earned living...hello government [expletive deleted by moderator], unemployment or welfare?

Staiduk
2006-Jan-11, 09:23 AM
Goodbye earned living...hello [expletive deleted by moderator], unemployment or welfare?

Umm, yeah...right.

Don't suppose you'd care to expand on that a bit?

Wolverine
2006-Jan-11, 10:47 AM
Goodbye earned living...hello government [expletive deleted by moderator], unemployment or welfare?

teri, you need to remember where you're posting. I must again remind you of our forum rules (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?p=564845#post564845) concerning language:

3. Language

No cursing. This goes along with being polite. This website is read by a lot of kids, including young school kids who want to learn about astronomy, space, and space exploration. The Universe is a marvelous place, full of beauty and wonder, and if you despoil it by using bad language you will quickly invoke the ire of the administrators and moderators. Think of the language used on TV during an after-school special and you'll get the idea.

ToSeek has already warned you (http://www.bautforum.com/showpost.php?p=642461&postcount=102) about using bad language. If you cannot choose your words more carefully, you'll receive an account suspension or worse.

peteshimmon
2006-Jan-19, 03:58 PM
I would like to add to this before its forgotten! Some 17 years ago I was
cycling to work on a lovely Summers morning. The previous evening the
television was full of the Piper Alpher disaster...170 souls lost...wives
crying in carparks..but I has a nice safe job! A bad accident, something
failed. A few years later, a short television dramatisation explained. One
shift removed a component from a pipeline for maintenance. A chit was
put into the control centre. On the next shift the primary compressor
failed so the alternate route was selected. Only something was missing!
So oil and gas flooded the machinery space and ignited! At this I
remembered an investigative television show that showed how the
North Sea oil industry was avoiding recruiting Unionised labour. And I
wondered if there had been some slow steady workers on the platform,
whether the disaster might not have happened. This is not to say the
170 lost were all cowboys, good heavens no. But a normal cross
section of available expertise would perhaps be more "optimum" in
a team. Did the employers think like this afterwards? Or was there just
a blankness and quick processing of the insurance claim? I do wonder!

Kristophe
2006-Jan-19, 05:09 PM

Forget the questionable use of language, this was just downright rude. Staiduk told us that he got a rather hefty severence package due to wrongful dismissal, so no one is milking the government (what? You mean you didn't read the thread before handing out your low blows?). On top of that, I'm outright offended by the notion that people on unemployment insurance are in some way abusing the system and cheating the government out of money. You pay into UI while you're working so that, when the day comes that you're not, you have a source of income while you look for other work.

For 20 years my father worked a seasonal job. For 4 months out of every one of those years, my family lived off of pogey cheques. You insult myself, my family, and everyone who has ever had to rely on the system when times are rough.

Moose
2006-Jan-19, 06:30 PM
Yeah, I gotta say, I've suffered layoffs before, as well as a company leaving me high and dry on my $15K (CDN) share of a contract. Once protected by EI, once not.

Let me put it this way: while on EI, I recovered fully from my jobless state within two or three months, with no other assistance. Without it, it took four years and change to regain my footing, and I'm still nowhere near the point I was before I got stiffed. And if I hadn't gotten a significant amount of timely assistance from my family, I would literally be living under a bridge somewhere, if I weren't dead. (And yes, I can support that claim, fully, if required to.)

Shared risk covered by a single-pay system reduces the overall costs.

Candy
2006-Jan-19, 06:59 PM
After 9/11, I knew massive lay-offs for my company were coming. To date, over 40K have lost their jobs worldwide (and more to come). In 2002, I started to clean up my credit. I refinanced everything to condense monthly payments. It took a year before I could buy my condo. I then enrolled in school to finish my Bachelors. I figured if I was going to lose my job, I’d at least have something to help me get an equal if not better paying job.

During the most stressful time of my life, I even hired a lawyer to fight for my job. I was the target for furlough. My lawyer made it very clear to UA’s lawyer that they put everyone in my department under a microscope (and not just me). UA did, and I still have a job. Since then, I’m the only one still at my current position from the original 5. Everyone else has been fired, furloughed, or voluntarily quit.

I’m still somewhat fearful of my employer’s stability. We will be exiting bankruptcy soon, and the company appears to be on the right track. I’m more fearful of merging with another airline. This would mean duplicate positions in certain areas, which means I’m not completely safe. I will continue with school to have personal peace of mind for my future. Plus, I’m studying a field that is a necessity for my (and many other) company. I’m keeping one step ahead of my co-workers to fight for my future. :D

William_Thompson
2006-Jan-20, 04:10 PM
IM me. We are hiring.

Staiduk
2006-Jan-20, 05:24 PM
IM me. We are hiring.

Was that to me?

If so, thanks but I'm not looking for work right now - this is my chance for a degree; so I'm jumping on it. :)

tmosher
2006-Jan-21, 05:08 AM

Still stuck on that belt buckle? I should have taken a picture of it for you.

You know it's not the size of the belt buckle that matters...it's how the belt holds up the pants.

Candy
2006-Jan-21, 05:13 AM
Still stuck on that belt buckle? I should have taken a picture of it for you.

You know it's not the size of the belt buckle that matters...it's how the belt holds up the pants.
It's not me, it's Superluminal that keeps bringing it up. :D

randb
2006-Jan-21, 06:34 AM
'Lo all!
Sorry I haven't posted in a while; the past couple of months have been slightly crazy.

Anyway, as you can tell from the title; I'm no longer employed - and I'm HAPPY!!!!

See; as safety rep in my plant I was extremely hard-nosed about allowing machines to run if they had safety issues. This of course drove management absolutely insane; they're of the opinion that 'preventative maintenance' and 'safety concerns' cost too much in time and money to deal with until problems actually happen. My habit of shutting machines down for trivial reasons - like for instance when a pressman fell right through the pressdeck because the hinges were held on by nothing more than a couple of spot-welds - gave them catatonic fits. (On that occasion, had the press been moving the pressman would've been killed instantly. He was just up there to put some ink in a fountain - he'd shut it down less than a minute before for an unrelated reason. There are angels...)

At any rate; I took my annual holiday just before Christmas. When I got back; I found a UPS envelope under my door. Yup - they canned me. While I was on vacation.
By mail.

How cowardly do you have to be to can someone by mail?

At any rate; I was in there the next morning with my lawyer.

The end result was they changed my termination to 'permanently laid off'; with a very acceptable severance package. I could've got my job back; the idiots running this place were totally unprepared for an 'uneducated' worker having a lawyer (who is a good personal friend) with 40+ years courtroom experience on retainer; or to respond so fast. Blue collar factory types tend more to whine, moan, go drink beer, and give up.

But really - you couldn't pay me enough to go back there. It was killing me.
The stress was incredible; and the physical demands were taking a serious toll on a body already badly weakened by past injury.

The big thing was the severance package - enough to keep me going fairly comfortably for a year. this gives me plenty of options; and I plan to make use of 'em.

So at long last; I finally get to do something I've always wanted to do - starting in May; I'll be starting at Queen's University in Kingston. My mother lives in Kingston and will help me with room and board. Her husband works at Queens and is currently acting as my go-between to get things going with application and registration. Even better; I've learned that as a Canadian Forces veteran; I qualify for a bursary, something I never would have thought of (until yesterday I didn't even know what the word meant) without 'inside' help.
So at the age of 38; I am going to university!!

Woohoo!!!!

Thats awesome!!!! What will you be majoring in?

tmosher
2006-Jan-21, 09:30 PM
It's not me, it's Superluminal that keeps bringing it up. :D

Well...you know Superluminal...

Next September Subluminal (the kid with the belt buckle) will be a year older. ;)

Maksutov
2006-Jan-24, 07:24 AM
Once you get back out into the job market, here are some guidelines for résumés and cover letters (http://rinkworks.com/said/resume.shtml).

Staiduk
2006-Jan-24, 07:54 AM
Once you get back out into the job market, here are some guidelines for résumés and cover letters (http://rinkworks.com/said/resume.shtml).

ROFL! That was priceless; thanks!
:D

mickal555
2006-Jan-29, 06:11 AM
Well...you know Superluminal...

Next September Subluminal (the kid with the belt buckle) will be a year older. ;)

I'm confused- was it our subluminal that was hitting on Candy or another subluminal? And who had the belt buckle?

Candy
2006-Jan-29, 06:20 AM
I'm confused- was it our subluminal that was hitting on Candy or another subluminal? And who had the belt buckle?
Tmosher can't spell! He is referring to the kid as "Subliminal", as in his huge belt buckle was a "hidden message". "Subliminal" should not be confused with Superluminal (adult male). The kid was hitting on me very aggressively. :razz: :lol:

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-29, 06:23 AM
lol, I remember this...did you ever call him back?

:razz:

Candy
2006-Jan-29, 06:30 AM
lol, I remember this...did you ever call him back?

:razz:
Not until he turns 16. :p

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-29, 06:37 AM
ROFL, yep, best to wait until he is legal right?:razz::shhh:

Talk to everyone tomorrow, going to bed.:whistle:

Candy
2006-Jan-29, 07:16 AM
Goodnight, John Boy!

I'm going to bed soon, too. I'd just like to say to Staiduk, good luck on your future studies. I'm finding work and school to be very exhausting.

I took this week off from work, intending to go to TAM4 (the BA is there right now). School "work" is just overwhelming. I've got a plan, though. My courses are AP (8 week in length). I'm only going part-time - one class every 8 weeks.

There are 13 chapters in the book, and I've gotten through 8 chapters. I've done all the BYP's (analysis) for each chapter. I've done all the weekly discussions (additional analysis) for each chapter. I've done 2 quizzes. :o

I'm still left with 8 chapters of questions (planned to be finished by Sunday/Monday). I've got 3 quizzes and 1 midterm left to do (planned to be finished by Wednesday/Thursday). The quizzes/midterm are online and timed. If I finish early, then I will start on chapters 9-13.

If I can get through this by class on Thursday, I will be the happiest girl in the world. I will then continue with the Masters Program. If I don't and my head explodes, I will discontinue with the Masters Program. I can't remain in school, if I have no head. :D

I will then have 5 chapters left to complete, 5 BYP's, 5 chapters of homework questions, 5 discussion's, 5 quizzes, 1 final in class 4 hour test, and 1 group financial analysis (in which my entire group is fighting). :wall:

Welcome Back To School, Staiduk! http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/frech/a080.gif

mickal555
2006-Jan-29, 07:50 AM
Tmosher can't spell! He is referring to the kid as "Subliminal", as in his huge belt buckle was a "hidden message". "Subliminal" should not be confused with Superluminal (adult male). The kid was hitting on me very aggressively. :razz: :lol:

Ohhhhhhh

That explains a lot. :lol: