PDA

View Full Version : Features that you would like to see added to cell phones

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2006-Jan-06, 03:36 PM
The other day I had a locksmith in to re-key a desk. The guy couldn't see the number on the desk lock, so he used his cell phone as an impromptu flashlight...that got me to thinkin'...why not a built in emergency flashlight on a cell phone...or a cell phone multi tool???

Swift
2006-Jan-06, 03:47 PM
I would like to see fewer features. I need a phone and I have no interest in it having the ability to take pictures, play MP3, play games, be a flashlight, make coffee, etc. I guess that makes me an old stick-in-the-mud.

NEOWatcher
2006-Jan-06, 03:57 PM
I would like to see fewer features. I need a phone and I have no interest in it having the ability to take pictures, play MP3, play games, be a flashlight, make coffee, etc. I guess that makes me an old stick-in-the-mud.
I agree, but that'll never happen. The more features you put in, the more you can charge for. If I hit the wrong button on my phone, I automatically get charged about $0.17 for sending a 1Kb data packet. And they probably count on that happening.:evil:

Kristophe
2006-Jan-06, 04:11 PM
A phone.

Moose
2006-Jan-06, 04:16 PM
"And it even comes with a fold-out woman for company."
- One of the commercials from the Vice City soundtrack.

Lance
2006-Jan-06, 04:19 PM
A Death Ray... Yeah, a death ray would be nice.

And maybe something to move that stupid car that is doing 35MPH in a 50MPH zone out of the way. That would be nice too.

And a stupidity filter. (Which probably would have filtered out this very post.)

sidmel
2006-Jan-06, 04:28 PM
Three cheers for Swift. :clap:

I want to make a call, receive calls and check my voice mail. That's it, nothing more, nada.

ToSeek
2006-Jan-06, 04:45 PM
How about a feature that gives me a device that will disable any cellphone within a 10-foot radius?

zebo-the-fat
2006-Jan-06, 04:49 PM
My father-in-law has a fairly basic Nokia with an led light built in (can't remember the model No.)

(Coffee perc in a phone? mmmm! might be a bit large though!)

Sam5
2006-Jan-06, 04:49 PM
An on/off switch
Volume control
Low battery indicator
numbers 1 through 0

nothing else

Swift
2006-Jan-06, 04:55 PM
I agree, but that'll never happen. The more features you put in, the more you can charge for. If I hit the wrong button on my phone, I automatically get charged about $0.17 for sending a 1Kb data packet. And they probably count on that happening.:evil:
Exactly! Not only that, it is relatively inexpensive for the phone makers to add new electronic features. So they can charge more for the phone, but with relatively little added cost. If you have a speaker and some memory, it is not a big deal to use that memory to store music files and play them through the speaker (for example). It is sort of like most software "upgrades" - what does Word 2003 do (as far as truely useful features) that Word v6 didn't? Upgrades for the sake of saying we have upgrades.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2006-Jan-06, 05:01 PM
a stupidity filter...yeah that's the ticket

Monique
2006-Jan-06, 05:21 PM
Cell phone need feature to let friends hug me from far away.

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-06, 05:24 PM
It is sort of like most software "upgrades" - what does Word 2003 do (as far as truely useful features) that Word v6 didn't? Upgrades for the sake of saying we have upgrades.
From what I remember it was either column span or row span in tables that couldn't be done in Word6, but could in the next one. That's it as far as I'm concerned for missing features.

Swift
2006-Jan-06, 06:42 PM
Cell phone need feature to let friends hug me from far away.
Apparently, someone is working on it Link (http://www.smartmobs.com/archive/2005/04/08/robotic_hug_and.html)

The Hug (picture) is meant to augment phone calls and improve the way the elderly communicate with distant relatives. It vibrates, warms up and emits light and sound signals to mimic human interaction.

The SenseChair (picture) has sensors which record information about the sitter's position and length of time in the chair. The chair is then capable of providing peripheral responses in the form of gentle vibration motors, sounds and lights.

worzel
2006-Jan-06, 06:52 PM
I'd never carry a camera, a pda, a gameboy, or an mp3 player around with me every where I go. But I do need a phone. And if my phone can do all the above then I'm happy.

Doodler
2006-Jan-06, 07:30 PM
Call me a Luddite, but I'd like to see a new phone issued that's a keypad, microphone, speaker, send button, and power button, and that's IT!

My new phone has more freakin' functions than a Swiss Army Knife... For cryin' out loud, I just need a dial tone, people. (Though I admit, I did manage to use one phone as a rather effective flashlight on a couple occassions)

Hugh Jass
2006-Jan-06, 07:42 PM
My sister-in-law was making fun of my phone the other day, it's almost 4 years old, not quite a dinosaur by cell pone standards, but old, and it was free with the plan back then, and it looks used, very used. I was getting some grief about getting new phone with extra features and what not. No, its a phone that’s all and that's all I want. I would like it if it had speaker phone as a function, but I have a headset for the hands free thing when I need it.

Moose
2006-Jan-06, 07:47 PM
I've always gotten a kick out of those big russian-style brick sets when cell phones just started to come out among the engineering crowd.

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-06, 07:55 PM
You mean those big ones that can be used as a hammer if you can't remember where you put it?

worzel
2006-Jan-06, 08:12 PM
I don't know what it's like in America, but here in England with the contract phones you're basically paying for a new phone each year anyway, so you might as well have one :)

Moose
2006-Jan-06, 08:17 PM
You mean those big ones that can be used as a hammer if you can't remember where you put it?

Or mangonel ammunition. :D

farmerjumperdon
2006-Jan-06, 08:19 PM
I'd like a phone that simply allows me to make and receive calls - that's it.

Sticks
2006-Jan-06, 08:23 PM
To add to the sureality of this thread

I once used my mobile to generate a tone that used to send down my works telephone when ringing my answerphone to pick up messages.

My phone is a Nokia 1100 and this is the one with the flashlight.

One feature or strictly speaking an add on that would be an idea would be to make a device that plugs into the socket where you plug in the hands free set, which would allow you to use a mobile phone to do conference calling.

Sticks
2006-Jan-06, 08:24 PM
My phone is a Nokia 1100 and this is the one with the flashlight.

Flashlight - Did I say flashlight

I meant Torch !!!!!

I am becoming transatlantic!!!!!!! :eek:

SeanF
2006-Jan-06, 08:30 PM
I once used my mobile to generate a tone that used to send down my works telephone when ringing my answerphone to pick up messages.
I don't understand a word you just said. :think:

Sticks
2006-Jan-06, 08:52 PM
I don't understand a word you just said. :think:

Some answerphones, if you ring them up, by pressing a certain key on the the phone you are using, assuming it is on Tone dial, you can get the answerphone to play back messages and erase them. However the phones at work do not seem to have Tone dial, but my mobile phone emits a tone at the right frequency. So by pressing the appropriate key, with the speaker of my mobile phone next to the mouth piece of my works telephone, I was able to remote control my answerphone at home.

Clear ? :shifty:

Swift
2006-Jan-06, 09:02 PM

I meant Torch !!!!!

You need to be decontaminated STAT! Quick, grab a lorry, get to the pub,
'ave a pint of bitters, maybe a banger and mash. Hopefully the colour will return to your face by then.

:p

Doodler
2006-Jan-06, 09:09 PM
One feature or strictly speaking an add on that would be an idea would be to make a device that plugs into the socket where you plug in the hands free set, which would allow you to use a mobile phone to do conference calling.

Stepping slightly forward into the 21st Century of cellphones from Luddite mode, one feature I did like about my last phone was the speakerphone function. It was strong enough and loud enough, i could set it in the middle of a conference table 4 feet across and 9 feet long, and everyone present could clearly make out what was said, and could reply with only modest elevation of volume.

That's a kick butt feature for a business phone.

zebo-the-fat
2006-Jan-06, 09:31 PM

I meant Torch !!!!!

Thats just too sad, hang your head in shame! :cry:

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-06, 09:34 PM
I would like to see a Aspirin despenser on my phone for 2 reasons:

1) I always have my phone.

2) I never have Aspirin when I need it.

Gillianren
2006-Jan-06, 09:41 PM
Well, I don't have a cell phone, but I'd like to see them come with little cards that explain in which situations it's rude to be on your phone--and in which, and here I'm specifically thinking about driving--it's flatout dangerous.

Sticks
2006-Jan-06, 09:57 PM
-and in which, and here I'm specifically thinking about driving--it's flatout dangerous.

We have in the UK a law banning the use of hand held mobile phones whilst driving, however on Sunday I witnessed a student on a bicycle texting :wall:

sarongsong
2006-Jan-06, 09:58 PM
Controversial 'feature' (http://locatecell.com/gpage.html) already in use.

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-06, 10:02 PM

:eek:

Tee-Hee...My phone has a option to let only emergency personnel to trace my phone....Now I see why.:D

Doodler
2006-Jan-06, 10:08 PM
We have in the UK a law banning the use of hand held mobile phones whilst driving, however on Sunday I witnessed a student on a bicycle texting :wall:

New category of 'famous last words':

"Look Ma! No brain!"

Swift
2006-Jan-06, 11:39 PM
I would like to see a Aspirin despenser on my phone for 2 reasons:

1) I always have my phone.

2) I never have Aspirin when I need it.
You should get one of these (http://www.jazebra.com/images/product-shots/pill-fob/trekker-04-800x600.jpg). They are called a "pill fob". I carry one on my key chain for just that reason (though I usually use Advil).

2006-Jan-06, 11:46 PM
However the phones at work do not seem to have Tone dial, but my mobile phone emits a tone at the right frequency. So by pressing the appropriate key, with the speaker of my mobile phone next to the mouth piece of my works telephone, I was able to remote control my answerphone at home.
Heh. A friend was listening to a radio DJ as he was about to call home to his wife on air. Friend held his phone up to radio, and as the tones were audible, his phone began "dialing" the same digits. The race was on!

Friend's call won. Wife picked up, fully expecting to speak with DJ husband who she knew from radio listening was calling. Meanwhile, DJ got a busy signal, and wondered why his stupid wife was on the phone when she had to know he was calling.

teri tait
2006-Jan-07, 02:29 AM
A wicked fun feature...like turning off the light for you when you're done using the restroom at work, without regard to any hapless peeps who may also be using the facilities. Hee hee, get your own phone light switching device or suffer (essentially) in the dark....

I am eviel that way ;)

tmosher
2006-Jan-07, 02:58 AM
How about a feature that gives me a device that will disable any cellphone within a 10-foot radius?

My thoughts exactly.

Grand_Lunar
2006-Jan-07, 03:07 AM

Like a modified EMP? Cool!

How about a water resistent cell phone. Wait, kind of pointless taking your phone down 10 meters. Unless you want to text message someone.

teri tait
2006-Jan-07, 03:08 AM
Well, then you just flip the light off as you leave anyway....

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-07, 03:20 AM
You should get one of these (http://www.jazebra.com/images/product-shots/pill-fob/trekker-04-800x600.jpg). They are called a "pill fob". I carry one on my key chain for just that reason (though I usually use Advil).

Right on...Thanx Swift.:D

SeanF
2006-Jan-07, 03:29 AM
Some answerphones, if you ring them up, by pressing a certain key on the the phone you are using, assuming it is on Tone dial, you can get the answerphone to play back messages and erase them. However the phones at work do not seem to have Tone dial, but my mobile phone emits a tone at the right frequency. So by pressing the appropriate key, with the speaker of my mobile phone next to the mouth piece of my works telephone, I was able to remote control my answerphone at home.

Clear ? :shifty:
Clear! :)

"Answerphone." Why don't you Brits learn to talk English right, like us 'mericans? ;)

See, that's part of the reason why (along with the cheaper cost) I use TracFone for my cellphone provider. They don't even have my name and address.

sarongsong
2006-Jan-07, 09:38 PM
Oh, those clever, cutting-edge Europeans:
"...The cell-gun (http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/c/cellgun.htm) can fire four .22 caliber rounds..."

sarongsong
2006-Jan-07, 09:48 PM
...that's part of the reason why (along with the cheaper cost) I use TracFone for my cellphone provider...Me too, and my nephew has found an even cheaper one:
Net10 (http://www.net10.com/home_page.jsp?b=&flash=YES&p=&task=home_page)

teri tait
2006-Jan-07, 10:51 PM
I would like my cell phone to autodial the idiot men in my life and yell at them for me. Then I could enjoy more time listening to music and watching 'toons.
Hee hee, plus I'd rather spend wireless phone minutes than my actual time.

Van Rijn
2006-Jan-07, 11:30 PM
Like a modified EMP? Cool!

How about a water resistent cell phone. Wait, kind of pointless taking your phone down 10 meters. Unless you want to text message someone.

You might find this article amusing:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/gear/2005-04-04-cell-bad-splash_x.htm

Apparently there are a few rugged phones out there, but only about 3% of the market. I don't know if any can handle being in water at depth.

As for what I would like - if it was possible, I'd like a direct to brain interface, or at least a subvocalization reader.

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-07, 11:31 PM
I want a tazer built into my cell phone.

Just in case.

If not a tazer, then a dart gun loaded with tranquilizers.

Ricimer
2006-Jan-07, 11:49 PM
Put me down for the luddite phone. Basic services only, with one definite exception: The address book, specifically the phone # (rest I don't care about) as I'm always forgetting phone #'s.

The flashlight...is a handy thing to have, so I probably wouldn't object.

Rest of the stuff, don't care.

weatherc
2006-Jan-08, 01:43 AM
How about a feature that gives me a device that will disable any cellphone within a 10-foot radius?I agree with you 100%, but make it 50 feet. I don't want to hear cell phones ringing when I'm in a movie theater or at a restaurant.

I also want one for my car that will disable all cell phones within 500 feet. SHUT UP AND DRIVE.

A phone that realizes when the user is making a call at an inappropriate time would be nice; when the user tries to make a call at such a time, (say, in the checkout line at a supermarket) the phone could emit an ear-piercing, screeching sound. "Hey, Bob, it's me, I..." "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

LurchGS
2006-Jan-08, 01:54 AM

'already in use' to me, implies 'recent invention'. Which is untrue. I've been tracing cellphones for years. (user and billing address, as well as most recent tower)

what worries me most about this particular place is that they seem to offer you a copy of ANY cellphone call record, on very limited evidence that you have a right to said info.

sarongsong
2006-Jan-08, 02:45 AM
Money trumps evidence with these guys:

...To test the service, the FBI paid Locatecell.com $160 to buy the records for an agent's cell phone and received the list within three hours...Chicago Sun-Times (http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-privacy05.html)

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-08, 02:53 AM
I want a cellphone that bakes eggs.

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-08, 02:55 AM

Know what? I think your SOL on that one buddy.;)

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-08, 02:58 AM
Know what? I think your SOL on that one buddy.;)

Naah, just gotta have one that fires off a high-powered mini-laser. If James Bond can use it in a watch, I can use it in a watch. Then I just need metal that won't melt under it.

Swift
2006-Jan-08, 03:30 AM
Well, if your cellphone battery does this (http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/cell_phone_batteries.html), you could bake an egg on it. :surprised

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-08, 03:43 AM
True. I was thinking overkill. Like the guys in Home Improvement.

mickal555
2006-Jan-08, 04:36 AM
You can buy celphone blockers...

There was an eppesode on A.C.A (*spit* *spit*) about a guy who put one at the bottom of a phone tower that someone built in his dream home (acurage).

I reakon that is a couple of years mobile phone are going to be able to do every thing like be our keys, money, music computers... ya'know like how future shows had devices that were everything.

Halcyon Dayz
2006-Jan-08, 04:44 AM
Like a PDA that not only tells you which bus to take,
but also pays the fare, does your taxes, and communicates
with other PDAs to set up appointments.

Doodler
2006-Jan-08, 03:50 PM
The GPS tracking on some phones is interesting, in the double edged sword sense. One contractor here in Maryland was having issues with work performance from some of his foremen, so he bought them all new phones, but didn't mention the GPS feature. Over the course of that first month, he had those phones tracked. Snagged on guy heading home for long lunches with the wife, two guys with girlfriends on the side they were seeing on business time, and one avid golfer.

Fun stuff, hence why when I get a new company cell phone, I go through every feature on the thing looking for that crap.

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-08, 04:12 PM
Like a PDA that not only tells you which bus to take,
but also pays the fare, does your taxes, and communicates
with other PDAs to set up appointments.
And adjusts the time it reminds you of appointments based on how far you have to travel.

ktesibios
2006-Jan-08, 04:31 PM
A feature that shuts off the phone whenever the user is touching a steering wheel. ;)

Doodler
2006-Jan-08, 04:44 PM
A feature that shuts off the phone whenever the user is touching a steering wheel. ;)

Hmm...what about a little toy in the engine that disables the alternator when cell phone transmission is detected? :p

Yeah, its OT, but what the heck.

enginelessjohn
2006-Jan-08, 04:55 PM

Already exists. It's called a 10-foot stick..... :)

Cheers
John

teri tait
2006-Jan-08, 06:38 PM
I would have my cellphone build a website a bit faster for my favorite radio station:

http://www.jack937.com/

I would also love a phone buddy as good as my former work buddy, Lisa Brown, hard to find blondes that smart in the real world...course she did marry a french type guy! He's some sort of computer geeb...pharmacutically speaking.

sarongsong
2006-Jan-12, 06:51 PM
Interesting (happy-ending) story concerning the GPS feature cell phones do have:
Sprint Under Fire In Missing Baby Case (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/01/12/earlyshow/main1204014.shtml)
And Wired (http://wired.com/wired/archive/gadgetlab/20051227.html)'s vote on current cellulars:
"Motorola RAZR V3 Cell Phone
The war for my cell phone soul is over..."

sarongsong
2006-Jan-16, 01:35 AM
Real-time language translating phones, within 10 years, are predicted by Ray Kurtzweil (http://www.booktv.org/General/index.asp?segID=6455&schedID=401), in his book, "The Singularity Is Near". I'd gladly pay for that feature.

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Jan-16, 01:53 AM
Already exists. It's called a 10-foot stick..... :)

Ha! I have this mental image of ToSeek poking someone in the head, repeatedly, with a ten-foot length of dowling.

Superluminal
2006-Jan-16, 03:05 AM
A light saber.

Vaelroth
2006-Jan-16, 04:16 AM
A tasp. So much better than a light saber. I'd love to make someone's day with my cell phone!

Superluminal
2006-Jan-16, 04:24 AM
Self destruct mechanism. An unauthorized person makes a call: Blewey. Off with their head.

Or a feedback switch that would make the callers phone self destruct.

Gemini
2006-Jan-16, 05:02 AM
A beam transporter

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Jan-16, 05:14 AM
A phone that calls people, receives calls, rings, vibrates, turns on and off, has a list of numbers and names, and allows me to get at my voice-mail. Translation would be nifty, but I would never use it. I'd just never trust it. I seem to recall that there was a diplomatic spat between France and the UK because of a bad translation of "demandez."

I'll just learn the language, thank you.

sarongsong
2006-Jan-16, 05:50 AM
...I seem to recall that there was a diplomatic spat between France and the UK because of a bad translation of "demandez."...Ha, ha---like those 2 needed an excuse.
Good point; it will be interesting to see how accurate these next-gen phones turn out to be in that regard.
Uh-oh, something (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/16/technology/16mobile.html?hp&ex=1137387600&en=bc8fb04d6f76b2e2&ei=5094&partner=homepage) we probably don't want:
"...In March, Verizon Wireless and Sprint Nextel plan to test how consumers react to short video ads on their phones..."

mickal555
2006-Jan-16, 12:16 PM
I'd like to see normal phone's that will store and play music.

Swift
2006-Jan-16, 02:36 PM
I want a cell phone that I could live in (http://www.thegadgetblog.com/2005/10/28/the-40-million-high-rise-mobile-phone-building/). ;)

mid
2006-Jan-16, 04:35 PM

My Motorola U6 PEBL (like the RAZR, but much, much nicer) has a 'massive' 4Mb memory you can use for mp3 playback. Not exactly what you're after, but it's enough to make my own ringtone files for.

mickal555
2006-Jan-16, 04:43 PM
4mb...

Thats one song... :lol:

If mobile phone people could....

Lotta money methinks...

zebo-the-fat
2006-Jan-16, 06:34 PM

My Nokia 6230i has a 30Mb memory card fitted, plays MP3's etc, comes with software to covert CD's and load them to the phone via bluetooth. (The best part is, I don't pay for it as it's a company phone. Nice camera too!)

LurchGS
2006-Jan-17, 05:19 AM
Sprint was wrong. They should have either said at the outset "policy demands that we have a court order", or, after the security questions had been answered, should have said "here yah go!"

Somebody at Sprint dropped the ball, big time.

As for additions.. a cerebral interface. You can make room for it by removing cameras and MP3 storage.

Actually, I think the question was phrased wrong.. it should be "To what would you like to see a phone added?"

Fr. Wayne
2006-Jan-17, 05:28 AM

I'd settle for one with an am radio.

zebo-the-fat
2006-Jan-17, 08:32 AM
I'd settle for one with an am radio.

A.M radio ??? last time I used AM must have been at least 20 years ago!

Fr. Wayne
2006-Jan-17, 11:26 AM

Ah! The good old days before Art Bell... sigh....

mid
2006-Jan-17, 12:24 PM

Lucky you - the FM reception in my area is terrible, and the one channel I regularly listen to (5 Live) is AM or Digital (which again we can't get) only.

enginelessjohn
2006-Jan-17, 05:23 PM
Lucky you - the FM reception in my area is terrible, and the one channel I regularly listen to (5 Live) is AM or Digital (which again we can't get) only.

Most of the UK can get DAB now, pop your postcade into

http://www.bbc.co.uk/digitalradio/

and see what happens. Digital TV is a slightly different matter, there are some quite large areas that still don't get coverage, including where I live....

Cheers
John

Swift
2006-Jan-17, 08:44 PM
How about, for us older cell phone users, a cell phone with a dial!
:)

Sigma_Orionis
2006-Jan-17, 08:45 PM
My phone has all the gimmicks and I use most of them (except for the FM radio), actually the only think I'd like is for Nokia to fix their crummy PC Suite Software so it's more reliable under Bluetooth.

Editted for spelling

Gillianren
2006-Jan-18, 01:28 AM

Like Rockford's car phone. (Which had a cord, as I recall.) (For the handset, not the phone itself. That would have to have been a long cord.)

mid
2006-Jan-18, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the link, enginelessjohn, but here at the suburban end of the London Underground we definitely can't get such amazing technology.

Or, to be slightly more generous, it's possibly due to the fact that we're in a valley.

Fr. Wayne
2006-Jan-19, 05:46 AM

Hilarious comment. I love it. How about a dial that flips into a sun dial too? :p

sarongsong
2006-Jan-19, 08:45 AM
Controversial 'feature' (http://locatecell.com/gpage.html) already in use.Hmmh...just wondering whether the recent disclosure (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/12/16/MNGDHG920M1.DTL) that "eavesdropping has occurred" by the US on its citizens has anything to do with companies like this forming...

X-COM
2006-Jan-19, 09:47 AM
My age old Nokia 3210 gave up the ghost shortly before Chistmas. It had everything I ever want in a cellphone, and some boring games that I don't want. Well, friends, hounoring the season fixed my problem with a new phone with suprisingly few funktions, I like that, especially the "no camera" feature. You are aware that cameras are restricted in many enviroments where industrial espionage are considered a problem? I need not worry about that then.

My list of funktions that I need:

Phone, Let's hope they don't remove this feature...
SMS, Great when you don't want to disturb.
Phonelist, It's hard enough to remember my own number.
Several choice phonecall tone in case someone else should have the same.
Good battery, So I don't have to recharge every day (I often forget).
Robust design, I am a careless person.
NO CAMERA, se reason above.

sarongsong
2006-Jan-19, 10:31 AM
Just got the Nokia 1100 (http://europe.nokia.com/nokia/0,8764,42132,00.html), comes close to your requirements PLUS has a cool flashlight on the top end.

Fram
2006-Jan-19, 11:50 AM
I don't have a cellphone, and if I ever get one, it will have the minimum of functions as well. Certainly no camera, internetting, ... I only need a cellphone two or three times a year, and then I go to a phone booth (I have a 5 Euro card for such minor emergencies, and that lasts me a year). The few hours a day that people can't reach me aren't a problem either.

Halcyon Dayz
2006-Jan-19, 12:03 PM
Operational phone booths are becoming rarer and rarer though.
Or is that just me? :(

Fram
2006-Jan-19, 12:21 PM
Yes, they are, but I mostly need them when I miss my train, and they are still around in the larger train stations.

pmcolt
2006-Jan-19, 03:38 PM
I'd like a cell phone with three buttons:

1. Off
2. Dial emergency services
3. Play recorded 'cellular customer cannot be reached' message to caller.

I hate phone calls.

Maksutov
2006-Jan-19, 04:19 PM
I'd like to see a cell phone which has

1. No ring tones.

2. A function that automatically shuts it off when you've left work.

3. Onboard AI, which, when it detects more than 30 seconds of meaningless blather, causes the cell phone to self-destruct.

Sticks
2006-Jan-19, 04:30 PM
3. Onboard AI, which, when it detects more than 30 seconds of meaningless blather, causes the cell phone to self-destruct.

And if it is from the other end, it puts a contract out on them ??

Maksutov
2006-Jan-19, 04:37 PM
And if it is from the other end, it puts a contract out on them ??At least.

And I'll listen to the results, since my cell phone didn't self-destruct.

http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/boese/g015.gif

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-19, 07:03 PM

1. No ring tones.

I hate you. No more cool Castlevania music on my Cell. :(

2. A function that automatically shuts it off when you've left work.

I hate you. Now I can't call my mom to tell her when to pick me up, or to schedule things with others and students (I am going to be a Mentor this semester in college), and I can't talk with my friends without finding a way to team up with them or calling them at work.

I hate you. All I do is meaningless blather.

John Dlugosz
2006-Jan-19, 09:08 PM
Ergonomic for use as a phone!

That is, easy to look up and choose a contact from the list. And enough buttons so that it's not awkward to use, when you are using "features".

I'd like to have a mode where people not on my approved list go to voice mail directly.

--John