PDA

View Full Version : how many books do you read a day?

suntrack2
2006-Jan-07, 10:47 AM
many people do not read book daily, few of them read only newspaper headline, few of them only read the astrology news, few of them only read sports news, few of them read only articles, few of them only read the cartoons and laugh and share it with their family members, few of them only look and turn the pages of the newspaper and keeps on the table, few of them use that paper for cover the book, few of them sold the gatthered papers of the month.

about magzine : many people read magzine stories, many of them use magzine cuttings for making the craft work, many of them just keep it on the table in the front room, many throw away, many keeps it for a long period, many of them do not share with their neighbours any kind of magzines, many read in the night, many read in early in the morning.

novels and books :many read in the library, in the home, in school, on sunday, in office, in travel (train/plain/bus), many people torn the pages from the book and gathers information (they do not worry about others), many people just keeps the huge books in the front hall of their home in the book-shelf. many expend the huge amount on books and novels every month, many read 1 page a day, many read 1 paragraph a day.

in short the styles of every individual in reading is different one like different faces in this world.

what do you do, with books, magzines, novels, newspapers etc ?

sunil

Candy
2006-Jan-07, 01:25 PM
Well, I just started school. I read two chapters last night. I'll continue to read the same two chapters for the next few days. I'm a gluton for punishment, plus, it helps me learn the material.

ToSeek
2006-Jan-07, 01:34 PM
When I was in high school, I would read 7-10 books a week. Now if I get through 2 a week I'm doing well.

Magazines: I have a lot of subscriptions, which get divided into two categories, ones that can be read during football games and ones that can't. The former pile up during the offseason but diminish quickly during the season. The latter I work through during meals and occasionally (when they've really piled up) by special effort.

Oh, and my science fiction magazines are actually in a third category. I read those during my lunch breaks at work when I'm not either on here or working Sudoku puzzles.

teri tait
2006-Jan-07, 01:36 PM
Don't read this wrong but...I am usually reading 2 or 3 books at the same time.

;)

Halcyon Dayz
2006-Jan-07, 02:41 PM
Just the one. Unless it is really flimsy.

Gillianren
2006-Jan-07, 03:13 PM
Depends on the book, what else I'm doing at the time, and my state of mind. At times when I'm actually doing needlework like I'm supposed to (long story), I read less, on account of it's hard to read and do needlework at the same time. (I've only got two eyes!) For some reason, much as I love Stephen King, it takes me a long time to read one of his books the first time. Conversely, I read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince in about six hours. Likewise Thud!, once I got the chance to sit down and read it. Obviously, children's books are much easier to read. So are most of my trivia books and grammar books. The history books take a bit longer.

tofu
2006-Jan-07, 03:31 PM
The short answer is, at least one book a day - but I don't finish one book a day, I just read a few pages or chapters or whatever.

I have four school books for the two classes that I'm taking.

One recreation fiction book that I'm about halfway through, but haven't picked up in a week.

I have a lot of pop science books that I bought a few months ago. I've been making pretty good progress going through them (one at a time obviously) and even got my dad to read two of them. I read a few pages each night before going to bed (gives me something to dream about) unless I'm just too tired.

I have several technical books that I have to read in order to stay current at my job. For example, I have the OReilly CSS book at my desk. I already know CSS of course, but if I get stuck (or bored) while programming, I pick up the book and read a bit. I always learn or refresh my memory on something.

I subscribe to two magazines, Discover and Sky and Telescope. S&T runs out soon and I'm not going to renew. Discover though, I really enjoy. This is probably more info than you wanted, but I just keep it in the bathroom and read a page or two while I'm on the can. LOL! We also get lots of computer magazine subscriptions at work so I flip through those during lunch.

I don't read newspapers. I check out a few RSS feeds in the morning to see what the big stories are, and websites like slashdot and fark to get more obscure stuff.

I also don't watch much TV. I watch netflix movies when they come, so about one a week. And I watch the Science channel all night on Tuesday because that's when they do all the astronomy programs. I don't watch drama shows like "24" anymore and I hate reality TV. I do watch Southpark though.

And of course, I have to read the love letters that Candy sends me, but I don't write back because I don't want to encourage her.

tofu
2006-Jan-07, 03:37 PM
it's hard to read and do needlework at the same time.

If you've got an iPod, you can get audio books here: http://www.audible.com/

They are around $20 or $30 usually.

Gillianren
2006-Jan-07, 05:05 PM
If you've got an iPod, you can get audio books here: http://www.audible.com/

They are around $20 or $30 usually.

Oh, we've got audio books aplenty--my boyfriend's dyslexic. But I tend to miss crucial details in audio books, given that I'm much more of a visual person, as far as information intake. There are books we've listened to a dozen or more times in the nearly three years we've been together that I'm still missing important plot points of. (And no, no iPod; can't afford one.)

Sammy
2006-Jan-07, 05:14 PM
I typically have 2 books in daily reading at any given time, plus 2 monthly magazines--QST (ham radio) and Consumer Reports.

I thought that when I retired two years ago that I would get more reading done and reduce the queue of purchased, but unread, books. But it's grown, not shrunk. I think I'm spending some of the additional free time buying additional books instead of reading them! I'm a semi-compulsive book buyer, and I suspect that many on this forum share that "disease."

My heyday was as a kid -- had a lot less $ to spend, but books were cheaper, especially used books. St. Louis (my childhood home) had an annual bookfair for charity -- books were collected all year and sold during a week-long frenzy staged in a large hall. Starting prices were 5 cents to $3, with a few new books a bit higher. On the last day, everything went for half price. I usually managed to buy 30-40 books with my pocket money. I had a pretty good library by the time I got to high school, and still had every book I ever bought until 1997, when we started downsizing our home as part of pre-retirement planning. And I still miss the ones I gave away.....

cjl
2006-Jan-07, 07:59 PM
I read about 4-10 books/week, depending on which books. Usually, it's about a book a day.

Candy
2006-Jan-07, 09:32 PM
And of course, I have to read the love letters that Candy sends me, but I don't write back because I don't want to encourage her.
http://www.cosgan.de/smiliegenerator/ablage/168/310.png

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-08, 03:45 AM
I'm in the 2-4 books at a time category, though this board has reduced me from finishing one a day to one every 3-4 days.

hippietrekx
2006-Jan-08, 04:39 AM
...I don't have time to read many books. I've been working on A History or Mechanics since June...:shhh:

Between picking up roadside garbage, budgeting a prom I may not attend, finishing all of my homework (I despise English, and we have to turn in a poem and a *philosophical* essay each week. I was turning in science reports for a few weeks, then the teacher said I couldn't any more... :( ), my science fair project, and making money by freelance-creating duct tape stuff, I've only got time for about once chapter a week of A History of Mechanics. Though, I do have to do a bunch of research in other books to understand that one chapter. Ah, anything for physics...

I do read up in magazines like Science News, Astronomy, Sky & Telescope, Bird Talk, and Time whenever I get my subscription in the mail. My magazines are the reason I have to freelance my taping abilities. Mom only pays for Bird Talk (we have parrots).

Oh, and about once a month, I'll find a comic book with neat pictures that I scan to make avatars and such and post on my website... :D

--hipster

suntrack2
2006-Jan-08, 04:01 PM
that's fine thanks you all, you are stick with the concept of reading something that's very cool and funtastic, but how many of you can recall the reading of the day is it 50%, is it 30% or 100% you can recall? i have observed that who are participated in the drama and if they are reading some diffrent book, they can recall the book story or the material upto 80% correct.

what you call this recalling ? even i have observed some time many people always keep their head down in the book to avoid others ? what you say this people ? and many students prefer the guide or short gist of the book instead of reading book for a particular subject study, what you assume about their personality !

sunil

Doodler
2006-Jan-08, 04:05 PM
I usually read one a week. Not that I'm not a reader, I own at least two dozen books, all of which have binders wearing out from extensive use. Its just that since getting heavy into online gaming, I prefer more interactive environments for day to day entertainment.

When I hit a book store, I almost always buy two, because if I'm in that store before 4pm, the first book will be done before I go to bed. The next one usually lasts a few days because I really only read when I'm waiting out the downtime imposed by MMORPGs I play.

Other than that, I also read industry articles in various architectural magazines and related publications. The NFPA journal is one of the better ones. I could write a summary monologue worthy of Vonnegut from the stories written about recent major blazes in their quarterly reports.

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-08, 04:20 PM
Not that I'm not a reader, I own at least two dozen books, all of which have binders wearing out from extensive use.
:eek: I'm keep being amazed that people can live like that.
I just did a quick count, I'm surrounded by about 600 books at the moment.

suntrack2
2006-Jan-08, 04:39 PM
600 books surrounded with a Henrik, !! , that's a world record. :)

Doodler
2006-Jan-08, 04:43 PM

I've owned more in the past, but throughout my teens, when my family life went to hell in a handbasket, I was moving a lot. Massive numbers of paperbacks do not an easy thing to carry make.

ToSeek
2006-Jan-08, 05:08 PM

If you leave out the bathroom and the kitchen, the average room in our house probably has 600 books.

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-08, 05:44 PM
I was just counting the books in the 3.5m×4.5m room I'm sitting in:)

mickal555
2006-Jan-08, 05:51 PM
Novels:
I can read a book in a day but It's rare that I do that(like if a new Harry Potter comers out).

I usally don't read for a while and then suddenly read 4 books(like the rama series).
I own the 8 Harry potter books and 2 John Marsdon novels.

I'm going through an Arthur C. Clarke Phase atm
Before it was Doglass adams
Before that it was... actually I can't remember
But my other two favorate authors are
John Marsdon (Loved the tommorow series)
I own- "while i live" and "incurable"
J.K. Rowling

N.F
I ocasonaly read but usally buy these
I own the below
Recent titles include:
Why does the toast always land butter side down: The science of Murphy's Law - Richard Robinson Very interesting- I learnt a lot about the way the mind works.
Great MythConceptions - Dr Karl Kruszelnicki Cleared up some lesser well know myths, and was entertaining too!
DisInformation - Dr Karl Kruszelnicki Same as above reallyGuniuiss Book of Records 2006 Nice new layout- got this from an auntie for cristmas.

Bastronomy: [oh yeah as if I'm going to write out that subtitle, what was the BA thinking?]- Phil Plait.
Ah the good book, I read this quite a while ago so it wasn't really recent. It was a great read though :D.

Beyond Earth: Mapping the universe(Yet to read)

Andromeda321
2006-Jan-08, 06:54 PM
I used to follow Francie Nolan's philosophy where I read one book a day (kudos to those who know where that's from!). Then I hit college and don't average nearly that much! :(

Gillianren
2006-Jan-08, 11:25 PM
Before it was Doglass adams

You went through a phase of reading his books, but you can't spell his name properly? For shame!

I asked my boyfriend recently if he wanted me to read something aloud to him (he enjoys that), and he asked what I had to read. This question dumbfounded me, and I had to point out the literally hundreds of books just in the genres he likes in this apartment--and at that, I don't have nearly enough books for my taste. (And, yes, I've got pretty good recall of what I read, though I may not necessarily recall exactly where I read it. This is why the citations for some of my knowledge can be a little erratic.)

Lianachan
2006-Jan-09, 01:31 AM
I always have at least three books on the go these days, not including others I reference about things in them. Due to pressures of work and family, it usually takes me about a week to finish a book. I'm pretty much always reading Lord Of The Rings.

suntrack2
2006-Jan-09, 01:19 PM
many time college student reads the book like a novel, they just go on and go on, many of them read in sliping condition, later they found slept instead of reading, and if we ask them, have you completed the yesterda's book? they replied they have pretty close the book with a great sleep yesterday. many students read the front page and the last page of the book and stops.!

few people are of a mentality that they gathered the book in their book shelf untouched, only dust touches that book. (what you will say such personality).

many people buy the second or third hand book for reading, and mostly many type of drawings can be seen in such books, because whenever they think about the paragraph in the book they just paint some design in the blank space available in the book. many people buy only new book everymonth, and many not buy even one new book in a year !

Infact, reading makes man wise, the brains can be mold in the discipline order to perform the task, but we are forgetting this. Henrik, the librabrarian i found always seats in front of some 5000, 10000 books, but when i ask one book's gist he forgot to explain. in short the assumption may be draw here that many students are relent on the short notes or guides available readily in the market, instead of reading the book.

sunil

ToSeek
2006-Jan-09, 05:00 PM
I used to follow Francie Nolan's philosophy where I read one book a day (kudos to those who know where that's from!). Then I hit college and don't average nearly that much! :(

Same here (in terms of reading a book a day, at least). I've never had enough time to do it since I started college, except on vacations or when I'm sick, and the latter is best avoided.

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-09, 10:00 PM
Infact, reading makes man wise, the brains can be mold in the discipline order to perform the task, but we are forgetting this. Henrik, the librabrarian i found always seats in front of some 5000, 10000 books, but when i ask one book's gist he forgot to explain. in short the assumption may be draw here that many students are relent on the short notes or guides available readily in the market, instead of reading the book.

sunil
Ask me about just about any of the books I have and I'll give you a short summary of the plot and the motivations of the major characters. Plus minute details of the cool tech.

ToSeek
2006-Jan-09, 10:44 PM
Ask me about just about any of the books I have and I'll give you a short summary of the plot and the motivations of the major characters. Plus minute details of the cool tech.

I must be getting old. I can do that for books I read in high school, but not for ones I read a a couple of months ago.

Gillianren
2006-Jan-10, 02:23 AM
I can't do that for most of the books I read--at least the tech part. Not much tech to Anne of Green Gables or The Hero and the Crown, you know?

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-10, 04:10 AM
Well, that just makes it easier "there isn't any cool tech". There! All details remembered.

suntrack2
2006-Jan-10, 11:40 AM
thanks henrik for the instant memory event show, couple of time if we read the book, later if we can't recall the whole book if the notes have not been taken, for reading the book and understanding the same, taking notes from the book is a good habbit. many people have a nice memory with them, they can recall the pages of dictionary very well, when we ask them about their vocabulary power. this is all god gifted quality with the people.

drodo2002
2006-Jan-10, 12:21 PM
When I started reading as a kid, I used to love read, ahem say watch picture books then put little effort and started reading comics. I loved them, not so that I don't at present. I read so many books after that. I presume everbody have to read that much. Coursebooks, why the hell they make them so boring :D.
Then, I realised the truth in college and decided not to read anymore books. I used to manage with friendly notes or just remembering lectures.
Now, at work, I have plenty of time, but short attention span. So, I read 4-5 books daily. And continue to read the same for complete month :).
Current four are "The Planets" by Dava Sobel, "The Prophet" by Kahlil Gibran, "Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors" by Carl Sagan/Ann Druyan and "Why Sex is Fun" by Jared Diamond.
Owning a book is too costly, I believe in policy of sharing, so my room just have 4 books at a time ;)

suntrack2
2006-Jan-10, 04:36 PM
thanks drodo2002, you are believing in policy of sharing, that's very fine. owning a book is too costly this is true, but you kno many people prefer to read second hand books. the second hand book is pretty one and the information is also wise one and through. i heard about Carl Sagan very much. you are reading the books that's nice, keep it continue. :)

sunil

Maksutov
2006-Jan-10, 04:45 PM
Here's where we were at a while back. (http://www.bautforum.com/showpost.php?p=326270&postcount=25)

Meanwhile the reading habits tend to gobble up about 5 to 10 tomes a week.

It should be noted that the younger members here have what's known as "required reading" which is different from what we oldsters choose to read on our own.

ToSeek
2006-Jan-10, 05:14 PM
I used to buy books a lot, but now that our house is overflowing I try to buy only books that I expect to read again, expect to use as a reference, expect not to be able to find at any library I have access to, or for which I really want to support the author or publisher.

I still buy too many books, though. ;)

suntrack2
2006-Jan-10, 05:17 PM
overflowing, that's funtastic "book-power". Toseek !

sunil

ToSeek
2006-Jan-10, 08:13 PM
Hey, I still have books in my parents' attic that have been in their house since 1979.

drodo2002
2006-Jan-11, 07:00 AM
thanks drodo2002, you are believing in policy of sharing, that's very fine. owning a book is too costly this is true, but you kno many people prefer to read second hand books. the second hand book is pretty one and the information is also wise one and through. i heard about Carl Sagan very much. you are reading the books that's nice, keep it continue. :)

sunil

wow, you write in verses. that reminds me of Vikram Seth.
Second or first doesn't matter till its not in bad shape. Anyway, its very rare that anyone will go through a same book more than once. I buy books sometime but they are lost within a short span.

Gillianren
2006-Jan-11, 07:33 AM
wow, you write in verses. that reminds me of Vikram Seth.
Second or first doesn't matter till its not in bad shape. Anyway, its very rare that anyone will go through a same book more than once. I buy books sometime but they are lost within a short span.

Really? Because most of my friends reread books. I, personally, have had books fall apart from rereading. (Yes, I replace them; yes, they were usually books I bought used.)

suntrack2
2006-Jan-11, 09:55 AM
i have a habit to transfer the book to others free of cost if the same has read by me for number of times. congrats toseek, you are just 63 posts away to complete the magical figure "14000". :)

sunil

Argos
2006-Jan-11, 11:55 AM
I must be missing something... People here are saying that they read (and understand) a full (maybe more than one) 300-page book in a day?

Well, I usually read 3 books at the same time, but I take days to finish them.

suntrack2
2006-Jan-11, 05:17 PM
wow, argos, all the best, you are almost reading 300x3=900 pages, that's awesome.

keep it continue.

ToSeek
2006-Jan-11, 05:59 PM
I used to work on multiple books at the same time. Now it's hard enough to finish one.

Gillianren
2006-Jan-11, 07:54 PM
I must be missing something... People here are saying that they read (and understand) a full (maybe more than one) 300-page book in a day?

Well, I usually read 3 books at the same time, but I take days to finish them.

In fact yes, depending on various factors, I can read and understand at least one full 300-page book in a day. Granted, I don't have much else to do with my time, and granted, given my lack of a functional library card and further lack of the funds to buy many books, I'm rereading a lot, but I have, in the past, done just that with new books. In fact, for my banned books contract in college (that's a three-month course of study), I read 115 books just for the contract, leaving out the three days wherein I refused to read any book that I knew had been banned, just so I wasn't doing nothing but schoolwork for a while.

And no, not all of them were 300 pages, most notably the picture book Sylvester and His Magic Pebble, which is not only substantially shorter but has very few words on the page. However, quite a few of the books were more than 300 pages, most notably Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett. I also read all four (this was in 2000) Harry Potter books in three days.

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-11, 10:28 PM
Pillars of the Earth, I loved that one, still have it on my shelves. Why would anyone ban that one?

Thinks back a bit ... oh, well, there's that ... and that ... oh, and that scene was great too.

Thanks for reminding me, it's time to reread it.

Pleiades
2006-Jan-12, 08:41 AM
Gosh i haven't been reading much since finishing graduate school. My shelves have mostly school books. But i like that idea of a banned list, i think i'll google a list and start up some recreational reading. I'll have to thank Gillian for that idea.

snarkophilus
2006-Jan-12, 09:15 AM
I'm in the 2-4 books at a time category,

I am terrible for this! I have four books open on my coffee table right now, and I'm sure there are at least couple more beside my bed. This is just the fiction, mind you. Miscellaneous math and chemistry and computer books are all over the place, with markers indicating where I've left off. Occasionally I pick them all up, which means my book shelves have dozens of pieces of paper sticking up from many different partially-completed books. I don't even count art or chess or RPG books, as those are things that you don't just sit down and read through, but they're all sitting around, partially completed.

I read English at a constant 100 pages/hour, no matter how simple or complicated the book, unless I'm taking notes. It's just the rate at which I turn pages. My brain adjusts to what my hands are doing. So on a week where I decide I want to read through my Hardy Boys collection, I'll get through 20 or 30 books easily. On a week where I want to read through my Michael Crichton collection, it's more like 4 or 5. If I decide I only want to read French or Old English for a week or two, I'll maybe get through three books per week, because I need to read those aloud (in my head, but aloud in my head, if that makes sense) to understand them. Poetry is slower, too, for the same reason. Some weeks I am of the opinion that everything sucks and I just don't read at all.

I love owning books. If I'm ever rich, I'll start collecting old ones, just so I can smell them and look at their bindings and touch their pages. I'll have a whole floor of my house, just packed floor to ceiling with books. I'll put in extra walls, just so I can have more shelf space. As it is, I have a paltry 400 here, and probably twice that number cluttering up my parents' house (although my mom has thousands upon thousands, and my few hundred is just a small part of the general collection). I even get rid of ones I don't like, but there are so many I do like... I try to read each one at least once a year, to justify having them all. I've probably been through Jurassic Park, my default travelling book, fifty times in the last ten or fifteen years (it is falling to pieces -- I need a new copy). I got new Lord of the Rings books four years ago, as they were starting to lose pages. The Xanth books are starting to show significant wear, too...

Yay for books!

mid
2006-Jan-12, 09:49 AM
Put it this way: What was once the garage is now the library, and our book collection takes up more space than the DVDs, CDs and videogames combined.

Which is saying a lot.

suntrack2
2006-Jan-12, 11:14 AM
thanks mid for the reply.
well henrik are you a poet, because in your writing poetry word has come, that's why i am asking.

Toseek, once upon a time we were moving in a train towards a long journey, i kept some books in my bag to read it in the journey spare time, but what happened in the train boggie we had a great people to discuss the verious topics, we were also discussing on the books too, that GD was the funtastic one with the other unknown people in the train boggie, during that course of journey, i forget all my books in the bag to read.( i forget to keep the book in my hands at that time). :)

thanks drdo2002 for calling me vikram seth!

Gillianren
2006-Jan-12, 06:02 PM
Gosh i haven't been reading much since finishing graduate school. My shelves have mostly school books. But i like that idea of a banned list, i think i'll google a list and start up some recreational reading. I'll have to thank Gillian for that idea.

The ALA keeps records of banned and challenged books in the American school system/libraries; they're a good place to start. (You're welcome.)

ToSeek
2006-Jan-12, 06:50 PM
The 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books of 1990–2000 (http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/bannedbooksweek/bbwlinks/100mostfrequently.htm)

Scary Stories (Series) by Alvin Schwartz
Daddy’s Roommate by Michael Willhoite
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
Harry Potter (Series) by J.K. Rowling
Forever by Judy Blume
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
Alice (Series) by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-12, 09:05 PM
The nice thing about such a list is that you're more likely to find absolutely brilliant writing there than on any bestseller list.

Another list is here (http://digital.library.upenn.edu/books/banned-books.html) for a list of banned books that are online, the nice think about this list is that it gives examples of why they where banned.

An illustrated edition of "Little Red Riding Hood" was banned in two California school districts in 1989. Following the Little Red-Cap (http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~wbarker/fairies/grimm/026.html) story from Grimm's Fairy Tales (http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~wbarker/fairies/grimm/), the book shows the heroine taking food and wine to her grandmother. The school districts cited concerns about the use of alcohol in the story.

Gillianren
2006-Jan-13, 03:36 AM
The nice thing about such a list is that you're more likely to find absolutely brilliant writing there than on any bestseller list.

Oh, there's also some pretty bad stuff, but yes, by and large, any banned books list will consist of some of the greatest writing in any given language. (Hence the appearance of the list of such authors as Mark Twain and William Shakespeare--well, I'm not sure Shakespeare's on that list, but he's on the really long one I have.)