PDA

View Full Version : Athens Earthquake

jkmccrann
2006-Jan-08, 12:37 PM
Have just heard news of an Earthquake in Greece. Does anyone in here live near that area and feel it?

For that matter, in addition, has anyone in here experienced a serious Earthquake? I've experienced my share of 4.0s on the Richter, but they're more tremors than real Earthquakes.

teri tait
2006-Jan-08, 03:06 PM
I thought they used a newer measure than the rictor scale these days.
I don't live anywhere near that part of the planet. What sort of damage occurred? Not to sound crass but a 4.0 is like a sneeze or hiccup.

Blob
2006-Jan-08, 03:09 PM
The magnitude 6.7 earthquake occurred at 11:34:52 (UTC) on Sunday, in Southern Greece, about 95 km NNW of Chania, Crete.
The hypocentral depth was estimated to be 37.7 km.

Location 36.250°N, 23.498°E

Doodler
2006-Jan-08, 04:47 PM
Rattled a few teacups, but I've not seen any reports of injuries casualties. CNN is reporting that there was no major structural damage, some older buildings will probably need to be inspected in the next couple days.

ToSeek
2006-Jan-08, 09:27 PM
I felt at earthquake once growing up in Roanoke, VA, when no one else in the house did, but I was lying on a bed with steel springs. It was an interesting experience.

Lance
2006-Jan-08, 10:12 PM
I felt at earthquake once growing up in Roanoke, VA, when no one else in the house did, but I was lying on a bed with steel springs. It was an interesting experience.
Which now costs 25 cents for 3 minutes (http://www.magicfingers.com/).

mickal555
2006-Jan-08, 10:16 PM
The only earthquake we've had was a load and deep BOOM! at 3am years ago

I was asleep so I missed it. My mum heard it though.

Gillianren
2006-Jan-08, 11:11 PM
I've been through a few earthquakes in my day (yay, Ring of Fire!). 6.7 Richter is pretty bad, but I've been through worse (she said smugly). The issue at a level like that is usually the construction of buildings. We had a quake about the same size back in '01, when I was in college, and because the buildings were built to withstand it, we had very little serious damage. (Though two of the three ways out of downtown Olympia if you're going to the West Side were out of commission for months.)

I would imagine, given its economic status and long history of earthquakes (Poseidon, in addition to being god of the sea, controlled earthquakes), Greece tends to build well. I am, however, perfectly willing to be corrected on the subject.

beskeptical
2006-Jan-09, 08:51 AM
That last one here, (the 6.7 Gil is talking about) was kind of fun and not too damaging. It went on long enough for me to go outside and sort of ride up and down. I know you are supposed to get under a table but I just couldn't bear the thought of being trapped and the door was right there. That reaction will probably kill me one day. I should know better.

I've felt quite a few having grown up in LA. I have a glass doored cabinet that survived the 1933 LA quake and was passed down to me. There is a letter in it from my grandmother describing how she held on to it and saved her fancy dishes. And, I have one place set from the famous dishes. It's kind of a neat heirloom.

It amazes me that 5 and 6s can do so much damage in other countries. Even the Kobe quake seemed to have excessive damage. It doesn't take much to add a bit of quake strength to a building. It's a shame that people pay billions after a quake but can't seem to pay a few million up front. We have a few roads and bridges here that I drive around. They just keep arguing about the funds to upgrade them but nothing gets done. You won't catch me on our Alaska Way Viaduct. That's a raised highway just waiting for an excuse to fall over.

beskeptical
2006-Jan-09, 09:54 AM
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqinthenews/2006/ushrak/

The official report from the USGS

Gillianren
2006-Jan-09, 08:08 PM
You won't catch me on our Alaska Way Viaduct. That's a raised highway just waiting for an excuse to fall over.

You and me both. I'd go miles out of my way to avoid it, if I had any reason to be in Seattle. Then again, I once went on a family vacation to the Gold Country of California. We stayed at a hotel in Oakland, on account of it's cheaper than San Francisco by about a ton, and to get into San Francisco, we'd walk under the double-decker freeway (d'you see where this story is going?) to the BART station. (San Francisco's subway.) A few years later, while watching the news after the Loma Prieta quake, I saw that same chunk of freeway. It wasn't in very good shape anymore.