View Full Version : Discovery Channel - Tonight: An Evening of Woo

vettemama65
2006-Jan-08, 09:17 PM
Tonights Line-up looks like this:

7pm (EST) Crop Circles: Mysteries in the Fields
8pm (EST) Return to Area 51
9pm (EST) Dive to Bermuda Triangle
11pm (EST) Crop Circles: Mysteries in the Fields

I can't tell if these are repeats, but does anyone know if these shows are going to have both sides presented? Or is it all woo-woo-based info? I thought that it might be interesting if there's a skeptic or two on the programs.

Or should I just give it up and watch Blue Collar Comedy Tour Rides Again?

:)

peter eldergill
2006-Jan-08, 10:03 PM
Is this Canada or America's discovery channel? There is a big difference in programming between the two.

Pete

soylentgreen
2006-Jan-08, 11:19 PM
The Discovery Channel? :rolleyes:

Apparently they've discovered baloney!
Which is funny because I thought it was discovered in an 1890's Michigan archaeological dig by the distinguished Professor Oscar Mayer!

Gillianren
2006-Jan-08, 11:36 PM
I know they're all repeats. I haven't actually seen most of 'em (on account of they're woo), but I'm pretty sure they at least pretend to be open-minded.

N C More
2006-Jan-08, 11:37 PM
The Discovery Channel? :rolleyes:

Apparently they've discovered baloney!
Which is funny because I thought it was discovered in an 1890's Michigan archaeological dig by the distinguished Professor Oscar Mayer!

Not just baloney... alien baloney!

Here's the absolute proof...pictures of the alien space vehicles! (http://www.reedberry.com/wienermobile.html)

vettemama65
2006-Jan-09, 03:13 AM
Is this Canada or America's discovery channel? There is a big difference in programming between the two.

Pete

America's Discovery Channel....

What's the difference?

Linda

vettemama65
2006-Jan-09, 03:16 AM
Not just baloney... alien baloney!

Here's the absolute proof...pictures of the alien space vehicles! (http://www.reedberry.com/wienermobile.html)

Cool.
Now I'm hungry.

Maksutov
2006-Jan-09, 05:07 AM
America's Discovery Channel....

What's the difference?

LindaBased on what's been posted here:

Canadian Discovery Channel: 99% science, <1% woo.

American Discovery Channel: <50% science, >50% woo.

I wonder if the same applies to The History Channel (the American version of which I don't' watch anymore, too much woo), and the National Geographic Channel (it's getting worse in the US).

SkepticJ
2006-Jan-09, 12:27 PM
National Geographic Channel (it's getting worse in the US).

You can't tell from the show's titles, but NO IT ISN'T. You should watch them, they rip into woo.

tofu
2006-Jan-09, 12:56 PM
Don't watch the Discovery Channel!! Watch the Science channel! Yesterday's line up:

Mar's Rocks, one year later (a look back at everything Spirit and Opportunity did and everything they discovered)
On Jupiter (not sure what this was about but it sounds good)
If We Had No Moon (how the evolution of the planet and of life would have been different if we didnt have a single large moon)

It's good stuff!

peter eldergill
2006-Jan-09, 01:41 PM
Based on what's been posted here:

Canadian Discovery Channel: 99% science, <1% woo.

American Discovery Channel: <50% science, >50% woo.

I don't know if the show about building motorcycles (OC?) qualifies as "science" but it is certainly not in the same ballpark as crop circles, etc...

We do have a dedicated one hour science show every day! Daily Planet rocks. The show's main host, Jay Ingram has recently released a book called "Theatre of the Mind"...it's all about the tricks your mind plays on you everyday.

THere are astronomy spots, cloning, bio, chem, physics, gadgets, robots, etc...it's a great show

Pete

Gillianren
2006-Jan-09, 08:21 PM
Discovery has been doing a lot of true crime lately, and that's usually pretty decent. As to watching the Science channel, I can't. All I have is basic cable.

Kristophe
2006-Jan-10, 04:44 AM
I don't know if the show about building motorcycles (OC?) qualifies as "science" but it is certainly not in the same ballpark as crop circles, etc...

The daily Mythbusters marathon is spotty at best, too, but it's also worlds more entertaining than Monster ______.

We do have a dedicated one hour science show every day! Daily Planet rocks. The show's main host, Jay Ingram has recently released a book called "Theatre of the Mind"...it's all about the tricks your mind plays on you everyday.

@discovery.ca was so much better. I still pine for it. That said, Daily Planet is one of the best shows on TV, even if whatshername is more irritating than lye.

Jay Ingram also has a book called The Velocity of Honey, which looks at the science of everyday life.

For a comparative look at Discovery Canada, I suggest their website (http://discoverychannel.ca/_home/index.shtml).

Also, our history channel, History Television (http://www.historytelevision.ca/), is quite possibly the least wooful place I've ever seen.
The closest they get is JAG, or possibly History Bites (http://www.historybites.com/).

I can't say I've seen the National Geographic Channel for more than 20 minutes, so I can't comment on that.

Maksutov
2006-Jan-10, 08:21 AM
One good thing about The Discovery Channel is the show Dirty Jobs (http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/dirtyjobs/splash.html). It's a fun watch. And there are absolutely no yuppies to be found doing any of the featured occupations! http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/566/iconwink6tn.gif

novaderrik
2006-Jan-10, 12:14 PM
And there are absolutely no yuppies to be found doing any of the featured occupations!

...except the host that makes all sorts of stupid comments about how he can't believe someone actually does those things for a living.
as a person that does actual manual labor for a living, i find that show somewhat offensive and condescending to the "lower class" people that don't get to sit in a chair and get 6 figure salaries for not screwing up too badly on any given day.
and i happen to like American Chopper and Monster Garage. and pretty much any show that involves people making things out of steel.

tofu
2006-Jan-10, 01:20 PM
i find that show somewhat offensive and condescending

yep. I definitely got that vibe from it. I also get it from another show, I don't remember what channel, but it's called _What Not to Wear_ and they make statements like, "omg, you have perfectly good clothes with no holes in them but *gasp* they were made last year so you need to throw them all away and be a good consumer and buy buy buy."

gag.

Maksutov
2006-Jan-10, 05:25 PM
...except the host that makes all sorts of stupid comments about how he can't believe someone actually does those things for a living.
as a person that does actual manual labor for a living, i find that show somewhat offensive and condescending to the "lower class" people that don't get to sit in a chair and get 6 figure salaries for not screwing up too badly on any given day.
and i happen to like American Chopper and Monster Garage. and pretty much any show that involves people making things out of steel.Tough.

The host gets in there and does it. All the remarks about "how this could be an everyday job" are mitigated by the show's premise, which is that these are everyday jobs. I found no connotation of disrespect anywhere in the show. Just the opposite.

I like the idea that TV is actually showing something other than glorified, suit and tie young lawyers and doctors in love, don't get your hands dirty, "yuppie" occupations. Of course Mike is going to make a few comments about how gross the job is. That's the point of the show.

Plus these jobs aren't his normal occupation. He's a TV host for pete's sake, hence his honest ad libs. But he's one show host who gets into some really uncomfortable situations. All he does is express what folks on the job have to think day after day. Paris Hilton he isn't (phew!).

But it's great to have a perspective on what some occupations are all about.

BTW, I've worked in conditions equal to or worse than what's shown on the show. Anyone want to crawl into a boiler that was shut down about 10 minutes earlier, try to protect your hands, feet, elbows and knees with padding, and scrape scale with me?

Hey, how about it?

Gillianren
2006-Jan-10, 07:54 PM
yep. I definitely got that vibe from it. I also get it from another show, I don't remember what channel, but it's called _What Not to Wear_ and they make statements like, "omg, you have perfectly good clothes with no holes in them but *gasp* they were made last year so you need to throw them all away and be a good consumer and buy buy buy."

gag.

TLC. I tend to sum it up as "How to Make Gillian Have a Panic Attack." It's like getting a makeover from the cruel kids in high school, isn't it?

For the record, I don't have a problem with the making things out of steel shows, but I wish they'd be on a different channel, so there'd be more shows about actual discoveries.

peter eldergill
2006-Jan-10, 08:58 PM
I barely ever watch TLC any more. Their programming is not so good anymore. It's been like that now for years. A&E is getting really bad now, as well. I'm not sure why I even have cable!

Pete

Gillianren
2006-Jan-11, 01:13 AM
I barely ever watch TLC any more. Their programming is not so good anymore. It's been like that now for years. A&E is getting really bad now, as well. I'm not sure why I even have cable!

Well, I have it because it comes with the apartment, but may I suggest Good Eats on the Food Network? (And Iron Chef, both American and Japanese except the episodes with Bobby Flay. Unless he loses and I can smirk.)

SkepticJ
2006-Jan-11, 03:17 AM

Pete

"Not so good" is an understatement. The U.S.'s energy needs could be met by burning the methane that comes off their shows.

peter eldergill
2006-Jan-11, 03:35 AM
I was trying to be polite, and not get a warning about foul language!

I enjoy food network (Canada), but not Iron Chef

HGTV is the best for me, as I love most renovation shows, Especially Holmes on Homes, which you Yanks are getting on a channel down there somewhere. If you can find that show, check it out.

I can't stand Extreme Home Makeover or any reno show on TLC. They are sooo contrived. I know most TV shows are but that one is really staged

Pete

vettemama65
2006-Jan-12, 07:00 AM
...may I suggest Good Eats on the Food Network? (And Iron Chef, both American and Japanese except the episodes with Bobby Flay. Unless he loses and I can smirk.)

Good Eats - Alton Brown's show is one of my personal favorites. He gets into the science of cooking. I am no domestic goddess by any stretch of the imagination, but his show gave me the courage to cook a whole Thanksgiving Dinner, including a brined Turkey! Good stuff.

And you're right... Bobby Flay whines like a little girl with skinned knees when he loses.

Science Channel is almost worth the price of cable.
Almost.

Thanks for all the input! You guys are great. :clap:

novaderrik
2006-Jan-12, 11:56 AM
I like the idea that TV is actually showing something other than glorified, suit and tie young lawyers and doctors in love, don't get your hands dirty, "yuppie" occupations. Of course Mike is going to make a few comments about how gross the job is. That's the point of the show.

Plus these jobs aren't his normal occupation. He's a TV host for pete's sake, hence his honest ad libs. But he's one show host who gets into some really uncomfortable situations. All he does is express what folks on the job have to think day after day. Paris Hilton he isn't (phew!).

if they want to show what the jobs are really about- then ditch the Tim Allen wanna be host and just follow the actual guys around with a camera- like they do on Cops.
that way, we get the perspective of the actual people that do the jobs without all the "oh my god, i can't believe you people actually do this stuff. don't you have any self respect" type comments- even if he doesn't mean it that way.
the only part i like about that show is the theme song.. gotta love old Faith No More.

TheGalaxyTrio
2006-Jan-14, 04:31 PM
One good thing about The Discovery Channel is the show Dirty Jobs (http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/dirtyjobs/splash.html). It's a fun watch. And there are absolutely no yuppies to be found doing any of the featured occupations! http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/566/iconwink6tn.gif

I'm astonished at the lack of protective gear on many of the people in these jobs. There was one where they had to deal with a room full of fine ash. No masks at all! Black lung anybody? There was a sludge chamber: no masks. One guy was in the sewer: no mask. What is going on?

TheGalaxyTrio
2006-Jan-14, 04:37 PM
Well, I have it because it comes with the apartment, but may I suggest Good Eats on the Food Network? (And Iron Chef, both American and Japanese except the episodes with Bobby Flay. Unless he loses and I can smirk.)

I was glad they did the American version. It has food I could actually eat.

When I hear a poorly dubbed voice say "Mmmm! Shrimp brains!" I know I'm on a wavelength far from home. :confused:

And why the hate on Flay? He's a big time chef who barbeques.

Gillianren
2006-Jan-14, 07:25 PM
He's a whiner. What's more, the only show of his own I ever watched, he was having his audience do literally all the actual cooking, from chopping to sauteing. But he got the credit, when they could've just as easily been following a cookbook.

Ilya
2006-Jan-14, 10:31 PM
Tonights Line-up looks like this:

7pm (EST) Crop Circles: Mysteries in the Fields
8pm (EST) Return to Area 51
9pm (EST) Dive to Bermuda Triangle
11pm (EST) Crop Circles: Mysteries in the Fields

I can't tell if these are repeats, but does anyone know if these shows are going to have both sides presented? Or is it all woo-woo-based info? I thought that it might be interesting if there's a skeptic or two on the programs.

Or should I just give it up and watch Blue Collar Comedy Tour Rides Again?
:)
I watched "Dive to Bermuda Triangle", and there is nothing particularly woo about it. It talks about methane clathrate deposits, which sometimes release huge quantities of methane gas with very dire consequences to any ship directly above. (Methane turns water into relatively low-density froth which can not support a ship.) Ships HAD sunk in that manner, nowhere near Bermuda Triangle. A very large release could also prove fatal to a low-flying WWII-era plane -- the crew would simply pass out without noticing (contrary to common myth, methane has no smell).

[Edited:] The show included actual dives to the wreckage of five US Navy planes which crashed nearly simultaneously in 1945. They fell within 2-3 miles of each other in rather shallow water -- within scuba reach. The wrecks showed no evidence of explosion and seemingly just nosedived into the sea -- consistent with crews having passed out.